• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

I'm really enjoying this so far, so glad i backed it especially now it's playable on my machine.

I'm using "File Watcher Utilities" from source forge to monitor the saves folder and run a backup files script when a file changes. It's working well so far but i might look at using the MON switch in Robocopy instead.

The game's not perfect but it's a damned good start i think.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Playing Hard, always using 1 mercenary less so far. Working out nicely and makes the fights more tactical than just spamming myself through it.

HORRORSHØW

I was in a situation where I had to hire some runners but had no nuyen. Of course there's no way to go back to an earlier save file. Failed the mission solo the first time, succeeded the second time.

The lack of a save anywhere feature is the game's biggest fault. With that said, however, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.

Magilla

Banned
Just finished the game at about 12 hours on normal. Used a rifle spec'd elf Samurai which I think was a bit of easy mode. I really enjoyed it though. I'm not saying anything new in that the save feature pretty much blows. A couple times I had to cut out in the middle of a mission or between missions for real life stuff and losing an hour or so of play for no reason is kind of lame. Otherwise great game and I'm really please with my first backed game.

Going to fire up another game in a bit on hard or v. hard. Probably do a deck/something combo.

Blizzard

Banned
Grimløck;73271626 said:
I was in a situation where I had to hire some runners but had no nuyen. Of course there's no way to go back to an earlier save file. Failed the mission solo the first time, succeeded the second time.

The lack of a save anywhere feature is the game's biggest fault. With that said, however, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.
There is a way to go back to an earlier save file, which I believe the ingame help screen(s) mention: You can make copies of any autosave using the copy button, and for any autosave, you can use the rewind button to go back to earlier saves on that save file.

There is a way to go back to an earlier save file, which I believe the ingame help screen(s) mention: You can make copies of any autosave using the copy button, and for any autosave, you can use the rewind button to go back to earlier saves on that save file.

Yea technically you do get 38 saves throughout the campaign you can rewind and copy at any time. You also have the amount of karma and money you had at the point of those checkpoints. I did get stuck at a checkpoint with 1 hp the rest of my team dead and no healing items, I ended up rewinding without copy one checkpoint back and starting the final caves over.

I actually really like the checkpoint system, and the fact saving and reloading isn't taking up my time, cause I tend to want to maximize my game results and sometimes doing so defeats the pacing of the story and game.

Is there any good user created campaigns out yet?

As I was playing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But now that I've finished it and had time to reflect...it's overall a big disappointment.

Not disappointing because it was bad....but because it wasted so much potential. I just keep thinking about what it could've been. No real impactful choices, barely any runs / missions, no factions....nothing.

The Berlin campaign won't remedy any of this unfortunately, it'll just be more of the same.

Eusis

As I was playing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But now that I've finished it and had time to reflect...it's overall a big disappointment.

Not disappointing because it was bad....but because it wasted so much potential. I just keep thinking about what it could've been. No real impactful choices, barely any runs / missions, no factions....nothing.

The Berlin campaign won't remedy any of this unfortunately, it'll just be more of the same.
I imagine to get a REALLY good RPG we'd need to wait for a sequel, if this brings in enough money to do something more ambitious. Just have to hope we don't see similar with the other big kickstarters (though something like Hero-U I actually expect to be closer to this, especially given their adventure pedigree.)

It's a shame you can't jack two deckers into the terminal in the
office
Would make it much easier during the defense given how long the matrix segment is.

FGMPR

Banned
Something that is concerning to me is just how customisable the editor really is. I was messing around with the editor and couldn't find out how to replace music tracks with custom music, so I googled around and it turns out you can't as its "too deep within the unity engine" to be made possible.

I know custom art is pretty much the same (although there should be an unofficial work around for that soon enough). Now I'm reading that custom portraits can only be imported through more unofficial means by replacing main game files (edit: custom portraits are actually pretty easy to import, so scratch that point).

Seriously, how are we supposed to make truly custom stories when we have all these limitations in place? It's very disappointing because this games editor is appealing to me in a way that no other editor has been. It's pretty slick, and whilst there is a lot to learn, from what I've seen nothing is overly difficult to understand; most of it is pretty logical, especially when you can just load up the main campaign and see how its been done there. I can tell how intuitive it is by how quickly I'm picking things up.

Just give us more customisation options. The game's future depends on it.

HORRORSHØW

Holy hell! lol Thanks. It will definitely help in the future. I wish the game was more proactive in describing things. Maybe my ADD just takes over.

Blizzard

Banned
I only messed with the editor for a bit, but I do agree that from the way things look, I don't think a great deal of customization is going to be possible without either enhancements from the developers, or crazy modding by users.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I need some help with the Telestrian Towers. There's a point where I need to
hack elevators to open them, but I can't find any terminals or anything to interact with. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Fistwell

I need some help with the Telestrian Towers. There's a point where I need to
hack elevators to open them, but I can't find any terminals or anything to interact with. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Off the top of my head, that terminal is
on a desk in a room whose door should be on your right when looking at the elevator.

In other news, still no patch here. ;'(

Just finished it. Steam says it took a little over eight hours but I played for an hour and started over as a different character so I'd say it took me over seven. Overall, I enjoyed it despite it's flaws. I played on normal and wish I had played on a higher difficulty because it was too easy. Two things I think they did very well was the the world and dialogue. I got really immersed into it. Can't wait for the Berlin DLC and that SNES game mod.

And I really, really want more cyberpunk-themed games.

Unicorn

I imagine to get a REALLY good RPG we'd need to wait for a sequel, if this brings in enough money to do something more ambitious. Just have to hope we don't see similar with the other big kickstarters (though something like Hero-U I actually expect to be closer to this, especially given their adventure pedigree.)
Ideally I'd want a true representation of the PnP game.

The last bit of the game is kind of annoying due to the new mechanic introduced.

Also: Is there a hidden percentage somewhere for shots? I missed two 93% chances in a row, and earlier in the game 6 75% chances in a row. Was absurd.

wrowa

This game has giant unkillable bugs and I don't think they're going to patch them out. :(

Lol, don't hurt me!

I've got the awful feeling that they'll just abandon Shadowrun Returns as soon as they put the Berlin DLC out. Which is a real shame, since the fundament is pretty solid and I'd be really glad if they added new official campaigns every few months (paid, of course) alongside of mechanical tweaks here and there.

duckroll

I've got the awful feeling that they'll just abandon Shadowrun Returns as soon as they put the Berlin DLC out. Which is a real shame, since the fundament is pretty solid and I'd be really glad if they added new official campaigns every few months (paid, of course) alongside of mechanical tweaks here and there.

My post was a joke. People who are far enough in the game will get it. :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How do I get more essence so I can install more body upgrades?

How do I get more essence so I can install more body upgrades?

If it's anything like the pen and paper, you can't. You can only lose what makes you you by replacing parts, you can't add more.

Also, finished last night. I've paid $15 for shorter games that were less good, so I think this whole Kickstarter thing might actually work out.

U-R

Just finished the campaign, and it left mostly positive impressions on me.

I never had any previous exposure to the setting, nor from the pen&paper nor from the previous videogames, and i liked it more than i expected, because it avoids that inconclusive "let's be random!" pitfall that some mixed sf/fantasy settings have. In the game it's presented with enough detail to capture the imagination but also blank enough to be fit for any kind of story, definitely a good foundation on which a mod community can thrive. On a side note: I liked how the virtual-world was represented in the gameplay as a split battlefield instead of just the obligatory "and now we show off how much we like Tron"-themed level.

I also loved the execution: the polished clean look, good music, and decent writing. I definitely enjoyed the text-is-the-focus approach to it. I realized how much i was missing those little body language quips that peppered dialogues in those old games, so much charm.

What i didn't enjoy is... the tablet-ness of it. I couldn't kick out the lingering feeling i was playing a great tablet game on the wrong hardware. From the saving feature (obviously designed to be balanced by the standby button), the sparse interface, the bite-sized story-chunks with no backtracking... it all would have made more sense played on a tablet.

Overall, i liked the game and it felt good being a backer. Looking forward to the Berlin campaign.

What did everyone else do for the ending choice?
I chose
to kill her because she had always been so sassy, should have redeemed her :/

zkylon

zkylewd
ok got to the point I thought I would get.

I'm at the cemetery, my dude's a melee guy and so dealing with a billion guys is not as easy as it should, I got a really bad streak of coyote misses after coyote misses and I had to replay this part 5 times.

5 times I had to go grab every item littered about the cemetery, and 5 times I had to stand the cemetery scene, making the same choices, etc.

I ended up shutting the thing down

the save system, it's shit, make a real one please.

I can't imagine it matters.
I saved her and basically they take her away and put her into custody.

I imagine not, but was wondering how the dialogue changed. Have they said anything about whether your character transfers into the Berlin dlc? Would be neat because the ending leaves you several different paths which would be cool to expand upon.

Toma

ok got to the point I thought I would get.

I'm at the cemetery, my dude's a melee guy and so dealing with a billion guys is not as easy as it should, I got a really bad streak of coyote misses after coyote misses and I had to replay this part 5 times.

5 times I had to go grab every item littered about the cemetery, and 5 times I had to stand the cemetery scene, making the same choices, etc.

I ended up shutting the thing down

the save system, it's shit, make a real one please.

You can grab the items after the mission and the mission is meant for you to delay the big bulk of the enemies and
wait for "reinforcements"

I think it's the point, kindof. To make you live with your plot decisions.

My only issue is not being able to save on quit. I love the idea of living with your decisions. Love it in dark souls. That save system is fantastic. All I want is save on quit or something more like Dark souls.

zkylon

zkylewd
You can grab the items after the mission and the mission is meant for you to delay the big bulk of the enemies and
wait for "reinforcements"
yeah I was doing that I almost beat it but messed up moving my dude farther than I should've and then just got stuck with coyote missing all her shots for like 3 retries.

I'm just commenting on how stupid this saving system is and how it can really fuck your game and make it frustrating

cj_iwakura

I got through the graveyard in one go, but OP Mage here, so yeah.

I killed most of the guys on the right in one turn, then pot shotted the guys to the north. When the ghouls showed up, I ran to the north west and let them handle each other while focusing on the ones to the north.

Dennis

Banned
Done. 20 hours. Fantastic value for money. A triumph for Kickstarter.

Great game but there are shortcommings of course:

1. Too simple

2. Too linear

3. Too easy

The ending mission with the bug hunts was not anyway as good as the whole corporate run with combined combat and Matrix action. That previous mission was the highlight of the game and should be a starting template going forward.

Fjordson

Just hit the docks level. Enjoying this quite a bit. Wish it was less linear and that there were more side missions, but the main story is fantastic.

And I can't get enough of this art style. The environments look incredibly good. So much detail. I can't wait to see the Berlin campaign, if not just for the environments.

cj_iwakura

Dunkelzahn's will, the size of a short form novel:

www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-resources/dunkelzahns-will/

"After much research and hundreds of bags of burned Nuke-and-Pop, I leave 20 million nuyen to the holder of the patent for the twentieth-century process that produced popcorn capable of being popped over an open flame (this dragon’s method of choice). I believe it was called Speedy Pop, or Quick Pop, or something similar. The patent holder must use this money to renew the patent and resume production."

Top Bottom