• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Xater

Harlequin is supposed to be super powerful but he was fucking useless in that last mission

Yes, I know realize that he is the weakest link in my team. I also hate Adepts in this game in general. Dude died on me and I guess now I am at the final boss. Do I only have to kill Watts? If yes I have to figure out how to basically do it with 2 guys because my mage is just support...

Dawg

Just started the game. Bought a sweet new jacket and sold the old one.

Then I found out the new one was transferred to my "stash" and I couldn't wear it because I have no idea how to access that.

I am now running around naked in the royal apartments.

Sulik2

Well I am on the last mission at this point. Regretting not building for combat at this point.I speced for decking and charisma and its mostly useless. Thankfully I invested in drones.

This game has potential, there is a nice core of systems, but the campaign feels very basic. I like the characters, the story moves even if it is fairly basic and the combat feels good. It just feels like they wanted to do more with conversation and decking and didn't have the money to do it. Hopefully follow up campaigns will resolve this. I would have really liked being able to run more optional side missions from the fences. The always keeping you in combat even with no enemies visible is really annoying. Saving hasn't really been too much of an issue, but I have had to play longer than I intended a few times to get to a save point. Hopefully the mod community really embraces this game. I like the universe, it just needs more content.

AColdDay

Just started the game. Bought a sweet new jacket and sold the old one.

Then I found out the new one was transferred to my "stash" and I couldn't wear it because I have no idea how to access that.

That is a bug related to selling the outfit you are currently wearing. As it stands, you won't be able to equip any new outfit (IIRC from what I've read). You will need to rewind to before you did that.

HBS did not have the resources to fully QA this game. I know that everyone complains about the lack of save anywhere, but save systems introduce a ton of QA issues and we would most likely see so many more issues like the outfit bug.

_machine

image.php

Since people might have tested the editor a bit by now, bumping my question; is it possible to at least create a sort of a save station (object that enables a checkpoint everytime it's touched) for the non combat areas in the editor?

Blizzard

Banned
image.php

Since people might have tested the editor a bit by now, bumping my question; is it possible to at least create a sort of a save station (object that enables a checkpoint everytime it's touched) for the non combat areas in the editor?
I looked for a way to do this, but I could not find one. Correct me if I'm wrong other editor people, but it looks like as with the game, autosave ONLY occurs when you load a new level.

Speaking of limited resources, I neglected to double-check right when they posted it, but whoever posted the last patch notes on the Steam community discussions for the game was presumably engineering personnel for HBS...and I think their Steam account showed like 190 hours of Shadowrun Returns in the last 2 weeks. If they were literally spending 13+ hours a day for those weeks I can imagine they were pretty crunched fo rtime indeed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I paid for my copy on kickstarter but I dont have it yet. Who do I email about my keys?

Did you follow the directions they sent out to obtain your key, and not receive it there?

I'm a kickstarter and I got my code. I got it days ago. I try to hit the Steam install button but it tells me "This game is not ready to be played in Offline Mode".

Why?

BTW, I'm thinking of selling my Shadowrun 3rd edition book.lol

You are not that far from the end.

STEAM says I've only played 8 hrs... :/

Should've bumped it up to very hard. Game is great and I'm surprised as how much I love the world and writing. Hopefully the Berlin campaign will be just as long as Seattle because I don't want the ride to end just yet.

PS shotguns rule. Stunlocking fools with kneecap left and right. Never have an issue with range either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What instructions were those? I got an email saying they'd launch keys before the 25th and then I got one saying they'd launched. Thats it.

Details in Project Update #55:

Also on July 25, your DRM-free version of the game and the digital rewards for your pledge level will be available via your HBS Account. Go to https://account.harebrained-schemes.com/ to download them on launch day.
As a reminder, your physical rewards will begin shipping in the first week of August. Delivery dates are determined by geographic location.

We thank you for your patience in advance! It is likely to take a few days to get all the emails out, so please watch for the email, check your spam folder and, if you don’t receive yours within a few days, contact us at info@hbs-studios.com

Should direct you to the right email address above. :)

shaowebb

Details in Project Update #55:

Also on July 25, your DRM-free version of the game and the digital rewards for your pledge level will be available via your HBS Account. Go to https://account.harebrained-schemes.com/ to download them on launch day.
As a reminder, your physical rewards will begin shipping in the first week of August. Delivery dates are determined by geographic location.

We thank you for your patience in advance! It is likely to take a few days to get all the emails out, so please watch for the email, check your spam folder and, if you don’t receive yours within a few days, contact us at info@hbs-studios.com

Should direct you to the right email address above. :)

Apparently Spam folder must have eaten my password to my account. I'll just have them send me my password and go to the downloads on my account then and pick up my stuff.

Myomoto

Apparently Spam folder must have eaten my password to my account. I'll just have them send me my password and go to the downloads on my account then and pick up my stuff.

The backer stuff is pretty cool, but I think you might need to restart to see it?

Aaron

The game is hard coded to auto-save during a scene transition. So the best someone could do is have the game load into another scene for a moment before loading back to where the character left off. Since you can set global variables to keep track of things between scenes, it's certainly possible, but messy. Since scenes aren't designed to be returned to. Every instance of the Steamstress Union in the main game, for example, is a separate scene.

Dawg

Playing a Samurai with focus on quickness + SMG/AR

Should I lvl up hacking or anything else? Not sure if that stuff is obsolete for my class or anything. I feel like I'm missing out on hacking doors etc though.

Gbraga

STEAM says I've only played 8 hrs... :/

Should've bumped it up to very hard. Game is great and I'm surprised as how much I love the world and writing. Hopefully the Berlin campaign will be just as long as Seattle because I don't want the ride to end just yet.

PS shotguns rule. Stunlocking fools with kneecap left and right. Never have an issue with range either.

Yeah, I never played Shadowrun before so what surprised me the most was the cast, actually. I wasn't expecting a likeable "fixed" cast, even characters that at first I thought "hey, this mission's NPC" ended up being well developed and likeable, I love talking to the big guy, even though I gain nothing from it gameplaywise

Truant

I vaguely remember something about the developers couldn't figure out how to implement looting and save-anywhere. Is that still an issue?

AColdDay

The game is hard coded to auto-save during a scene transition. So the best someone could do is have the game load into another scene for a moment before loading back to where the character left off. Since you can set global variables to keep track of things between scenes, it's certainly possible, but messy. Since scenes aren't designed to be returned to. Every instance of the Steamstress Union in the main game, for example, is a separate scene.

I'm working on a mod at the moment, and I'm reusing scenes. The one thing is you have to be extremely careful on how you use the "On Scene Enter" function. The editor seems to be robust enough to allow global variables to effect things like NPC location and Conversations, so hopefully it can keep you from having to duplicate too many things.

I may completely change my tune about this by the time it is all said and done though.

Also, this from the Developer Editor Q&A:

Q: Is there a way to link sound files to triggers?
A: You can link sound files, yes. We don't have hooks for you to import your own but I bet someone will figure out how.

gives me a lot of hope that it is just a matter of time before somebody smarter than me will figure out how to import music.

Tanolen

Just beat it, was pretty excellent with my troll unarmed adept. Punching fools for 25 hp a pop with 20+ % crit rate. The last fight was pretty difficult. I definitely recommend putting in the karma to pick up level one heal.

Last level spoilers
To bad that clown was usless in a fight. Also screw the insect guns only being able to fire two times before needing a reload and the spirit form insects taking one AP at the start of a fight.

Grayman

Harlequin is supposed to be super powerful but he was fucking useless in that last mission

In my game
he died early and then came back "LOL not dead" and brought another generic soldier with him(no aegis gun on the generic though)

Fjordson

Hmm, is it normal to not be able to hire Coyote? I can hire that Shaman girl from the one mission, but not Coyote. She doesn't show up in the list for available runners.

I vaguely remember something about the developers couldn't figure out how to implement looting and save-anywhere. Is that still an issue?
Well there's no loot and it is checkpoint-based saving, soo...

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm, is it normal to not be able to hire Coyote? I can hire that Shaman girl from the one mission, but not Coyote. She doesn't show up in the list for available runners.
I dunno how far you are in the game but hiring her is eventually enabled as part of the story

Really enjoying this.

Bugs/issues encountered so far:
- Game didn't let me do anything after Coyote overwatched and wounded both a foe and a friend-- dozens of spaces apart at 45°.
- Assault rifle 'double tap' and 'headshot' skills are not showing up as options.
- Nehilim merc Winterfang is supposed to have a Katana but doesn't.
- Why can't I buy smartlinks for my guns?

I know many that will disagree, but I feel that being able to spec into any skill makes classes completely redundant.

There are no classes. The starting 'classes' are just characters with a particular bent.

I've been able to put some more time into this game and the main thing it's doing is just reminding me how much I love the Shadowrun setting. It had been way too long since we had a proper Shadowrun videogame. Even though the game's a bit glitchy and the saving system is bad I'm still really enjoying myself. The writing definitely does a good job capturing the setting. The whole cyberpunk plus magic plus real world setting works so well. Love seeing native american shamans and elf deckers interacting in grungy cyberpunk Seattle. Really glad I was able to help kickstart this thing and I hope it's successful and they're able to patch it up and release more quality content.

vinicius

Neo Member
Last level spoilers
To bad that clown was usless in a fight. Also screw the insect guns only being able to fire two times before needing a reload and the spirit form insects taking one AP at the start of a fight.

What I did was kill the bug and overwatch with two guns pointed at him, this way it probably kills him before my turn so I have time to reload and shoot again or target something else.

PBalfredo

How do I use my Healbot drone to heal? The text for his mortar says it "heals with cleansing shrapnel" or something to that effect. Does it actually do that, or is the game just being cheeky and the only way to heal with the bot is to have it use a medkit on me?

How do I use my Healbot drone to heal? The text for his mortar says it "heals with cleansing shrapnel" or something to that effect. Does it actually do that, or is the game just being cheeky and the only way to heal with the bot is to have it use a medkit on me?

I'm asking the same question.

Fjordson

Healing is super weird in this game. I think you can only heal after someone's been hit, and it can only heal for exactly the last amount of damage taken. I think.

(if you already know this then feel free to disregard this post :lol)

akira28

I know many that will disagree, but I feel that being able to spec into any skill makes classes completely redundant.

Well in the original games you could major/minor and do a split skill character. It's tricksy, but makes the game more interesting, I think. Realistic weaknesses because the guy isn't a beast in anything particular, but happens to be very skilled at a few things and kind of crappy at others that he insists on trying.

thanks for the response. That's a shame i enjoyed the open world type vibe of the Snes and genesis versions.

some of the day one fan levels are open world-ish, but mostly unpopulated and in alpha/beta status. But it shows what the engine is capable of. Someone is even trying to do an SNES homage. Try it out, it isn't that bad, but random encounteres are still buggy, and respawn at random.

dejan

I'm pretty close to the end now, I think. Playing as an elf shaman (rifle + conjuring/summon) on hard difficulty. I've not died yet or restarted a combat mission and rarely use totems now (with the exception of local spirits). Setting up a fire barrier + lightning barrier trap and then watch enemies run into their doom is pretty satisfying. The hold position while teammate is jacked into the matrix missions have been quite easy this way.
Regarding Harlequin, properly buffed (haste IV + aim + armor + movement) he's two hitting UB guys on the what I assume is the last mission of the game. Run out of cover, kill one or two dudes with the sword and then run back to cover.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with my experience with the game and don't regret my Kickstarter pledge one bit. I really like the setting, writing has been enjoyable and most importantly I'm totally ok with the "simplistic point&click adventure with fun turn based combat and not too elaborate skill system" framework Harebrained Schemes have come up with. Shadowrun Returns isn't a throwback to the classic rpgs of yesteryear ... and that's fine with me. I'd totally play more of that and I'm genuinely excited for the Berlin campaign and pretty curious about what the modding community might come up with.

Well in the original games you could major/minor and do a split skill character. It's tricksy, but makes the game more interesting, I think. Realistic weaknesses because the guy isn't a beast in anything particular, but happens to be very skilled at a few things and kind of crappy at others that he insists on trying.

My biggest concern is that modules / user generated content can choose to allow imported characters. So eventually with the current system, if you continually import your main character....you'll end with a maxed out character. Full stat points in every category.

If they locked out some stuff, you could eventually have a strong runner / character. You can justify / roleplay a strong or experienced runner, as opposed to a full stat god.

akira28

My biggest concern is that modules / user generated content can choose to allow imported characters. So eventually with the current system, if you continually import your main character....you'll end with a maxed out character. Full stat points in every category.

If they locked out some stuff, you could eventually have a strong runner / character. You can justify / roleplay a strong or experienced runner, as opposed to a full stat god.

I guess they could also do scalable enemies. My shaman/decker can't survive the last mission once ol' crazy starts shooting powerups around. I may have to rewind. But I am mowing through the user missions if I can import, oneshotting everything with a pistol. So they'll have to figure out balance for imported characters if they allow it. Some of the user missions force you to re-roll, so maybe they can do a forced skill reroll at least, since the user missions aren't linear.

Berksy

Just finished. Last boss was good, had to try 4-5 times.

This game makes me remember the first time i popped that Fallout 2 disc to my PC.

Would anyone kindly point me to good adventures on Steam Workshop?

AColdDay

I can understand your concern on that, but the strength of this game lies with the ability to tell compelling stories, not really the stat-based mechanics. The turn based combat is not the star of this game by far.

I think it is a nice touch to allow importing, because you can get attached to your character and want to have more adventures with him/her. It's cool that you can.

Azih

Uh how many savepoints does this game store? I think I just screwed myself by jumping into a mission without upgrading. (I'm a decker with no programs or ESPs lol)

AColdDay

Uh how many savepoints does this game store? I think I just screwed myself by jumping into a mission without upgrading. (I'm a decker with no programs or ESPs lol)

The game allows you to rewind. I can't remember how many scenes it lets you rewind back to, but I remember it being quite a lot.

Top Bottom