• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Sothpaw

This game really is a lot of fun. I am playing a custom built mage on very hard difficulty. The battles are actually quite good. I also love the huge selection of runners available. Makes picking the perfect crew for the job an awesome game within the game.

It'd be cool if Harebrained wrote a postmortem about the game and maybe released some sales info :)

Judging from the number of players on Steam it seems the game sold quite well. I hope that is indeed the case because I would love for more expansions in addition to a real flood of user generated content.

d1rtn4p

Darn, not sure if I'm missing something, but the second half of
Telestrian Industries
is giving me a hard time.

Getting mobbed by dudes in the meat world while getting mobbed by guys in the matrix is giving me trouble!

Done. 20 hours. Fantastic value for money. A triumph for Kickstarter.

Great game but there are shortcommings of course:

1. Too simple

2. Too linear

3. Too easy

The ending mission with the bug hunts was not anyway as good as the whole corporate run with combined combat and Matrix action. That previous mission was the highlight of the game and should be a starting template going forward.

Just finished last night at the 20-hour mark on Very Hard, and these are my feelings exactly. I didn't mind #1 and #2 because the pacing and writing were so good, and it seemed clear the purpose of the official campaign was to give a broad overview of the themes of Shadowrun, for fan creators to have a jumping-off point. My biggest concern is #3--how unbalanced the systems are, which may not be fixable in the editor. Mages and shotgunners with their stuns/AP damage are clearly OP, while decking has almost no use outside of the Matrix, and shaman spells seemed mostly situational or flat-out useless (Silence doesn't do what you think it would, etc.). Hopefully weapons and spells can have their attributes changed in the editor, but if not, additional content will have to lean on story pretty hard. I thought the last encounter was adequately climactic, but that Matrix corporate mission was amazing; I haven't felt that kind of adrenaline-pumping tension in a game since XCOM.

Lime

Just finished last night at the 20-hour mark on Very Hard, and these are my feelings exactly. I didn't mind #1 and #2 because the pacing and writing were so good, and it seemed clear the purpose of the official campaign was to give a broad overview of the themes of Shadowrun, for fan creators to have a jumping-off point. My biggest concern is #3--how unbalanced the systems are, which may not be fixable in the editor. Mages and shotgunners with their stuns/AP damage are clearly OP, while decking has almost no use outside of the Matrix, and shaman spells seemed mostly situational or flat-out useless (Silence doesn't do what you think it would, etc.). Hopefully weapons and spells can have their attributes changed in the editor, but if not, additional content will have to lean on story pretty hard. I thought the last encounter was adequately climactic, but that Matrix corporate mission was amazing; I haven't felt that kind of adrenaline-pumping tension in a game since XCOM.

The lack of time (and money) to do proper balancing and Q&A clearly shows. I figured they prioritized getting in a lot of mechanics and systems, rather than trying to refine a few of them. I think this was the best choice, as the existence of a lot of systems and mechanics will give more freedom and options for modders, whereas they would have had less if HBS hadn't gone for the quantity over quality approach to the game systems.

The lack of time (and money) to do proper balancing and Q&A clearly shows. I figured they prioritized getting in a lot of mechanics and systems, rather than trying to refine a few of them. I think this was the best choice, as the existence of a lot of systems and mechanics will give more freedom and options for modders, whereas they would have had less if HBS hadn't gone for the quantity over quality approach to the game systems.

Time will have to bear this out, once we see the extent to which there is freedom of editing the systems as much as content.

duckroll

Time will have to bear this out, once we see the extent to which there is freedom of editing the systems as much as content.

I don't think you can edit the systems at all. There's no way to change the system rules at all, or to modify and add spells/skills/etc. Unless they update the editor in future...

Narag

All done. Think I'd have held off for a steam sale or some such if I hadn't kickstarted it given the issue with the saving which I don't really approve of.

As it stands, I threw some money at the kickstarter and leave pretty satisfied. Biggest qualm past the save thing is I wish the alternate dialogue options weren't greyed out when you didn't meet the necessary critieria and were rather just not present at all. I think they'd have worked as a nicer surprise that way.

Dennis

Banned
OK chummers, now that the main campaign has been completed I tried my hand at the first user made adventure

- A Lost Lamb - and......it was pretty good! I can't help but imagine what kind of campaign I could make if I only had the time......hardcore difficulty, large level exploration, mature story.....

About the adventure: make a new character otherwise you will be boringly overpowered. I really enjoyed the fact that it was all basic skills and weapons - felt more gritty. Play it on Very Hard.

This bodes well for the future.

Yea I started on Lost Lamb last night, while parts make it obvious that it's not as well written and a little less professional than the main campaign it seems good for being out so quick.

Did some people get the editor early?

Also as for balance, in the editor you can really jack up the enemies stats to make it harder, I feel the general campaign they wanted it to be a bit easy in general so everyone can get through the story at a good pace.

Also remember too linear isnt always bad, if you felt it was bad cause it was so linear, say why. So if any of HBS reads here they can know what you want.

Dennis

Banned
Yea I started on Lost Lamb last night, while parts make it obvious that it's not as well written and a little less professional than the main campaign it seems good for being out so quick.

Also as for balance, in the editor you can really jack up the enemies stats to make it harder, I feel the general campaign they wanted it to be a bit easy in general so everyone can get through the story at a good pace.

Also remember too linear isnt always bad, if you felt it was bad cause it was so linear, say why. So if any of HBS reads here they can know what you want.

Yeah, there some issues with spelling and such. And I hope the fan-based stuff will be a lot less "go here next" obvious. I like to figure out and explore. The official campaign definitely had a lot of handholding.

duckroll

I don't think the problem with the balance is that it's too easy. Rather the main flaw is how the classes and weapons aren't really balanced much. There's almost no advantage at all to playing a dedicated shaman or decker as opposed to a dedicated mage. When it comes to guns, the shotguns are definitely a cut above the rest because they have better shot options. Range doesn't seem to be much of an issue either. Adepts looking to play barehanded are also at a disadvantage, as Killing Hands doesn't apply to any special moves at all. You're better off using a melee weapon with it.

Yeah, there some issues with spelling and such. And I hope the fan-based stuff will be a lot less "go here next" obvious. I like to figure out and explore. The official campaign definitely had a lot of handholding.

The random encounters were cool but there was a part where I had encountered the same encounter three times before I must have got through the zone they had laid out that triggered it.

Plus I dont think you are supposed to import your character from campaign, even though it lets you, because I was one shotting everybody.

mclem

A perk for some Kickstarter backers, precisely so they could dive in and produce stuff to be ready near launch.

How long was Lost Lamb? If we get to a situation that there's a lot of worthwhile addons, might be worth having a thread for it, much like the old LBP one I used to be rather fond of!

Dennis

Banned
The random encounters were cool but there was a part where I had encountered the same encounter three times before I must have got through the zone they had laid out that triggered it.

Plus I dont think you are supposed to import your character from campaign, even though it lets you, because I was one shotting everybody.

I made a new character - classic street samurai. Definitely no point in using the old character - way overpowered.

duckroll

Personally I think it could be interesting to try using the editor to make a campaign which is entirely like an actual adventure game. No weapons, no combat, instead a more complex adventure scenario in the Shadowrun universe, where your character build and stats simply determine what paths are open to you and what solutions you have to pursue for a given problem. I wonder how feasible that would be.

Dennis

Banned
Personally I think it could be interesting to try using the editor to make a campaign which is entirely like an actual adventure game. No weapons, no combat, instead a more complex adventure scenario in the Shadowrun universe, where your character build and stats simply determine what paths are open to you and what solutions you have to pursue for a given problem. I wonder how feasible that would be.

Don't see why it shouldn't be possible but it may be a bit of a puzzle/logistic challenge to make sure the player can't end in a dead end with no means to progress.

If I had the time I really think I would take a crack at make a long campaign - to show them what the hardcore can do! If only I had the time........

Oh, I'd love that. Those dialogue trees present in the campaign, I thought, were well done and at times it really did feel like an adventure game.

I'm waiting for a very matrix heavy campaign myself. Maybe we should make one.

All the campaigns start off like youre poor and got no job we should make one where you a high rolling decker stealing corporate info and selling it for high money.

The ESP programs they have in the matrix make it really interesting.You could force them to hire combat runners by controlling his base stats to be strictly hacking stats and a shitty gun that couldnt possibly beat the enemies you put against them and then just control the karma so they cant develop far enough into combat stats. Which could lead to some more cool combat real world/matrix scenes.

Aaron

Very possible. There are a ton of variables you can set in the conversation trees for what starts them to what effect they have. You have secret variables hidden from the player that are added to from their various choices, branching story paths, mulitple endings, etc.

Sothpaw

Fuck if this is the tip of the iceberg of Kickstarter games I can't fucking imagine how good Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are going to be.

This is exactly what I hope to see, at least a few campaigns like that.

NIN90

HOLY SHIT, did I just seriously get dumped back at Organ Grinders after fighting the Halloweener troll and quiting after that?

Off to the backlog you go, game.

dentoomw

So far enjoying the game, but I have one question...spoilers though

When do I get a chance to hire Coyote as a runner, if at all? I rescued her and helped her out find her brain-fried cousin and when I went back to the bar, she mentioned I should keep her in mind for jobs. But when I talk to the fixer she doesn't show up as a choice

Fjordson

I have a question, from a somewhat early mission. You're helping Coyote out with a certain something important.

Can you save her brother? He shot himself in my game like...as soon as I encountered him.

I have a question, from a somewhat early mission. You're helping Coyote out with a certain something important.

Can you save her brother? He shot himself in my game like...as soon as I encountered him.

You can.

So far enjoying the game, but I have one question...spoilers though

When do I get a chance to hire Coyote as a runner, if at all? I rescued her and helped her out find her brain-fried cousin and when I went back to the bar, she mentioned I should keep her in mind for jobs. But when I talk to the fixer she doesn't show up as a choice

Later on.

Fjordson

There's something really satisfying about skill checks in RPG dialogue trees. I love seeing that I have enough charisma and/or certain a certain etiquette to influence a character to help me.

Maybe it was your dialogue choices? I think that's the only thing that affects it.
Damn. I hate missing stuff like that =[ oh well. It all happened so fast and was over before I even knew what was happening :lol

Dennis

Banned
I can't purchase cyberware despite having the money for it. Is it because I'm an Elf Shaman?

No you can. Its just very annoying - if I recall you have to press first on the cyberware you want to buy and then not drag and drop but rather press the empty slot where you want it to go.

As I was playing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But now that I've finished it and had time to reflect...it's overall a big disappointment.

Not disappointing because it was bad....but because it wasted so much potential. I just keep thinking about what it could've been. No real impactful choices, barely any runs / missions, no factions....nothing.

The Berlin campaign won't remedy any of this unfortunately, it'll just be more of the same.

Think there's going to be mod support for the game, depending on how strong the uptake will be, mods should really help adding to depth etc.

Think there's going to be mod support for the game, depending on how strong the uptake will be, mods should really help adding to depth etc.

I have a lot of faith in the modding community. I actually did a complete 180 about that recently. Initially, I didn't think any user generated content would match the quality of writing that the launch campaign had, but after seeing the massive Skyrim mod, I know something spectacular will be made.

Not to sound too whiny, but I desperately want something in the NOW. SR:R left me wanting for more, pretty badly. I'm yearning for more RPG's, and Wasteland / Torment / Eternity is still a ways off.

As for Shadowrun, I hope the editor provided is deep and robust enough to ensure some of the bigger underlying problems are solvable, mainly inventory and class tweaks / changes. But from what I've read so far, I don't think class mechanics are open for editing?

Aaron

As for Shadowrun, I hope the editor provided is deep and robust enough to ensure some of the bigger underlying problems are solvable, mainly inventory and class tweaks / changes. But from what I've read so far, I don't think class mechanics are open for editing?
Beyond the scope of the editor, though I personally didn't have any problem with either.

It's a lot of work even with a good editor to make a decent mod. It's going to be months before anything worthwhile comes out. I have an idea for something that will hopefully be quick just to familiarize myself with using the editor, but it's going to be more of a novelty than anything like a real mission.

Labadal

They should look into porting this for consoles. This isn't a port begging post or anything. I just feel that the nature of the game would fit well. It isn't overly complex, the combat is fun but not impossible to enjoy with a controller considering it's turn based. Menu is simple and there aren't really that many items to scroll through. No camera rotation needed, another thing that won't be an issue with a controller.

ParityBit

I have a quick cyberware question. When it says you can not remove it, does that mean once you get a leg implant, you always have to have a leg implant? If so, how do you upgrade the leg? Just buy any leg implant?

Since I only have 5 essence I am trying not to screw up my decker too bad.

Xater

A thing about the editor I want to point out is that they actually made a Mac version of that as well. Not something you see often. The tool stuff is usually Windows only.

I have a quick cyberware question. When it says you can not remove it, does that mean once you get a leg implant, you always have to have a leg implant? If so, how do you upgrade the leg? Just buy any leg implant?

Since I only have 5 essence I am trying not to screw up my decker too bad.

You can never get an implant out. So if you have a leg implant you can only upgrade it to a better on in the future.

Can someone who's finished the game tell me how far I am? I suspect about halfway through.

I just finished the mission where you rescue the girl from the un-killable bug creatures.

Xater

Ok I want to know if I am on the last mission. because I have some real trouble because of how I skilled and the lack of money.

I am back where we first saw the bugs to kill them with the Aegis guns. Is this the last mission? I am kinda frustrated that this is now so hard because of faults I made.

Dennis

Banned
Ok I want to know if I am on the last mission. because I have some real trouble because of how I skilled and the lack of money.

I am back where we first saw the bugs to kill them with the Aegis guns. Is this the last mission? I am kinda frustrated that this is now so hard because of faults I made.

Yes.

I don't know if lowering the difficulty in the options before continuing/loading works on a save with a higher difficulty

Top Bottom