• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

K' Dash said:
It's not a tit bridge,
the giant body of Paula serves as a bridge and you have to walk over her chest
, unless there's a tit bridge I've not seen yet.

Every game should have a tit bridge though, no excuses.

mescalineeyes said:
just wait until you get to the next book :D

minor book related impression spoiler:
I just finished this part and wow, I have been all smiles the whole time Garcia was reading the book, then came the end part and I was like LOOOOOOOOL. I'm still laughing at the ending. I want to buy the scriptwriter a beer for this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_dementia said:
Performance-wise, is it generally recommended I pick this up on 360 or PS3?
I ended up going for the 360 version. In general, I think it's safe to assume that UE3 games will always be better on 360. Even if the difference ends up being minimal, those differences still tend to favor 360.

Preview footage made the PS3 version look pretty bad (lots of tearing), but it sounds like that was a review code issue. 360 footage looks much smoother to me. In the end, they may be pretty close, but I played it safe.

metsallica said:
Anyone have a real answer to this, because I'm wondering as well.

I'm not an expert on this but I haven't noticed any screen tearing on the PS3. There seems to be some texture pop-ins though just like what EatChildren has stated a few posts up.

I know some people hate R2 for trigger controls and may cause them to prefer 360 over PS3. This game primarily uses R1 for shooting but also uses R2 for "light" (secondary) shots.

No installations for the PS3 version so if you're running low on HDD space, don't fret. Loading time seems to take about 5-10 seconds in between chapters for me.

dark10x said:
I ended up going for the 360 version. In general, I think it's safe to assume that UE3 games will always be better on 360. Even if the difference ends up being minimal, those differences still tend to favor 360.

Preview footage made the PS3 version look pretty bad (lots of tearing), but it sounds like that was a review code issue. 360 footage looks much smoother to me. In the end, they may be pretty close, but I played it safe.
that's exactly what i did too.

Trevelyon

Urrrgh! no NG+ or stackable achievements on different difficulty playthroughs.

That's one way to crowbar in some longitivtiy.

Fady K

Yikes, I expected a collaboration of this sort would result in a much bigger game than, at least, No More Heroes.

maks

You guys are really jumping the gun with all this marketing talk.

EA is giving this game an appropriate amount of marketing based on its sales potential and agreement with grasshopper manufacture. Just like i said before, blame Grasshopper. A new IP, immature subject matter, and lack of recent sales success from its creators makes it a hard sell to retailers. These guys constantly makes games 'their way' which oftentimes means it isn't built to sell. I don't have distribution numbers but I can't imagine it being too high. It will have nice worldwide distribution which is another strong reason to go with the EA Partners program. I imagine EU territories will see more marketing than the US which sounds about right.

If you really love the game, then support it by buying. It could become the next Demon's Souls :)

Just picked up my copy. Went to Kmart to use my $20 games credit, but they didn't get it in. Went to Target......was told they aren't going to carry it. Finally went to Gamestop and after looking at the new release wall and not seeing it there asked an employee to which they responded, "Yeah, we've got that. Did you pre-order it?" To which I told him no. "Let me check and see if I have to set any aside for pre-orders. Looks like nobody knew about this game, only 1 pre-order so I can sell you a copy."

dark10x said:

Alien Manobo said:
I'm not an expert on this but I haven't noticed any screen tearing on the PS3. There seems to be some texture pop-ins though just like what EatChildren has stated a few posts up.

I know some people hate R2 for trigger controls and may cause them to prefer 360 over PS3. This game primarily uses R1 for shooting but also uses R2 for "light" (secondary) shots.

No installations for the PS3 version so if you're running low on HDD space, don't fret. Loading time seems to take about 5-10 seconds in between chapters for me.
Thanks guys! Probably go 360 here on account of controller preference and UE3.

burgerdog

I always get games on day 1, but I have a feeling that dropping $60 on this will look silly in a week or two when it's $40. I know kmart has $15 credit if you purchase it now, however, their coupons only last around 30 days and I can't think of any games that I want before it expires.

eXistor

The game is pretty cool so far, the music is amazing, the controls are tight enough and you never know what the fuck you're gonna see around the next corner. I also love the oldskool Ghosts 'n Goblins style setup, where you see the game map and your miniture character placed on it at the point you are. Also a very minor thing, but something I love: in the background of every stage you see a huge tower, which I'm assuming is the final level. That kind of stuff makes you remember what your goal is.

They're really pushing for a "road-movie"-type deal (even starting a new game is called "new road-movie") which harkens back to the days of the NES, just a very basic progression, which for me negates any problems I'd normally have with a game being linear. Here it feels more like a design choice rather than having to deal with technical limitations.

In the 2 hours I've played I did get the feeling it was getting a bit samey, even though the game throws a lot of new elements your way all the time. It does boil down to demons appearing and you shooting them. So far it works fine though, but I hope the environments themselves are gonna change soon, I'm now in act 3 and it still looks the same as act 2 (act 1 is just a short intro).

So far I'm definitely recommending it though, the game is pretty much fucked in the head, which is all too rare in games. Even if the gameplay itself is nothing new, the way it's presented is definitely worth the price of admission.

legbone

Coldsnap said:
Would you guys say this game is perfect for someone who has always wanted to play No More Heroes but never owned a Wii?

no, no more heroes paradise is that game. this game is perfect for people with twisted senses of humor that love heavy metal and wanted to play resident evil 4 but hate resident evil games.

Haklong

Played about 2 hours of the 360 version and so far I like it a lot. Only performance issue I'm having is the occasional screen tearing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
maks said:
You guys are really jumping the gun with all this marketing talk.

EA is giving this game an appropriate amount of marketing based on its sales potential and agreement with grasshopper manufacture. Just like i said before, blame Grasshopper. A new IP, immature subject matter, and lack of recent sales success from its creators makes it a hard sell to retailers. These guys constantly makes games 'their way' which oftentimes means it isn't built to sell. I don't have distribution numbers but I can't imagine it being too high. It will have nice worldwide distribution which is another strong reason to go with the EA Partners program. I imagine EU territories will see more marketing than the US which sounds about right.

I think one of the dev diaries or interviews actually said that EA asked them to tone the game down a bit to be more palatable. That they would exert any creative control means that they would need to work harder on marketing this game. EA's involvement in this project was known even before we even knew what it was.

The number one problem with EA's handling of the game is that they really didn't push a date. For some time I thought this was coming out the same day as Duke and Child of Eden. We didn't know the official release date until what, a month ago? And it wasn't even really announced, it just sort of popped up in retailer listings.

Something that basic and easy is a misstep, regardless of their sales expectations. There is no reason for a game this significant to have a quiet release in the SUMMER of all seasons.

maks said:
immature subject matter...

as opposed to, say, god or war? gears of war? real mature stuff there :) ...

crazed, or whacked, or off-the-wall, maybe. but no more immature than most 'mainstream' stuff (unless not taking things seriously = immature?)...

legbone

yeah, at least this is done tongue-in-cheek and in a humorous way. god of war (and don't get me wrong, i love it) is all I'M SERIOUS, NO SERIOUSLY, I'M SERIOUS! I'M SO FUCKING SERIOUS I'LL PROVE IT TO YOU BY RIPPING OFF A GOD'S HEAD! RARRRRRRRR!!!!! anyway, this game is delightfully different. i swear i was walking through the streets of hell and noticed the castle in the background and thought, "it's kind of like a twisted, fucked up castlevania". i'm going to have a real problem with this game. i just finished the first "stage" and realized i missed a spot because i took the wrong path too early. like alice (another delightfully twisted sleeper hit of this summer) you are closed off when you pass a certain spot so there is no backtracking for missed items. real bummer. oh well, guess multiple playthroughs are in order. oh who am i kidding, i never do multiple playthroughs anymore because of my backlog.

anyone want to guess what the next sleeper of the summer will be? my guess is on el shaddai. i don't see it getting to much hype around here. of course, i am hyped for it so i guess that disqualifies it as a sleeper for me.

Ridley327

I definitely want to echo two things that have been mentioned already:

1) if you're experienced at RE4 or RE5, definitely start on Legion Hunter as your difficulty; it's nothing too crazy, but it's the best one if you're a veteran of these sorts of games

2) THIS FUCKING SOUNDTRACK

legbone

this game is making me want to buy a gamecube copy of killer 7 to see what it's like. never played it for some reason. if i remember right, a copy runs you about the equivalent of the down payment on a 2000 square foot home. please tell me it has come down. ooh, google adventure!!

edit: nevermind, i must have been thinking of another game. it can be had for about 30 bones.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game is great so far. Movement is very snappy and feels good to control overall. The book on the first boss you read is fucking great.

Furio53

I guess its safe to say now. Proud to have been a part of this team working on this game, and glad to see some good reviews and that people are enjoying it! I know everyone at GhM is happy to see everyones reaction!

Furio53 said:
I guess its safe to say now. Proud to have been a part of this team working on this game, and glad to see some good reviews and that people are enjoying it! I know everyone at GhM is happy to see everyones reaction!

7739notworthy.gif

Jinaar

So close to getting this tonight, but damn having THE WITCHER II to finish and still playing alot of DOW II Retribution Last Stand. I may just jump at it regardless, always a fan of supporting great games day one. (I love games like this!)

legbone

Furio53 said:

great game. in my humble top 5 for the year so far. congrats and i hope you guys sell enough copies to get your team total creative freedom from your publishers.

Yuterald

Furio53 said:

Enjoying the game a lot so far. This is like the ultimate "we don't give a fuck" game, it's so stylish and packed with personality. While it lacks polish and there are some small performance issues it makes up for it in every other area. Exactly what I expected from a Grasshopper title.

My only question dude, what's up with the no new game+ feature? I am already on Act 3 and I can tell there won't be enough Red Gems to upgrade everything! I want to replay some parts already with my awesome weapons. Why make a fraction for upgrades on the profile screen if you cannot even fully upgrade everything? As miniscule as it sounds, it's the only thing kinda bumming me out as I play.

Top Bottom