• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Furio53

Yuterald said:
Enjoying the game a lot so far. This is like the ultimate "we don't give a fuck" game, it's so stylish and packed with personality. While it lacks polish and there are some small performance issues it makes up for it in every other area. Exactly what I expected from a Grasshopper title.

My only question dude, what's up with the no new game+ feature? I am already on Act 3 and I can tell there won't be enough Red Gems to upgrade everything! I want to replay some parts already with my awesome weapons. Why make a fraction for upgrades on the profile screen if you cannot even fully upgrade everything? As miniscule as it sounds, it's the only thing kinda bumming me out as I play.

As far as I know, there are enough Red Gems. In fact, I hid some of them, so look carefully. :)
Some are part of puzzles, some are kind of tough to get :)

The thing is, there was only so much time. (regarding the New game +) I don't want to get TOO specific, but we were very, very busy trying to get the game as best as we could, making it fun, and unfortunately some stuff just couldn't get put in without it being really risky. Balancing the game was a very tedious thing also, and coming back through the beginning sections of the game with the upgraded weapons wouldn't have been very interesting I would think, but that is just my opinion. It would have been insanely easy haha.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
a friend of mine worked on this game as a designer, so I'm pretty much obligated to buy it now. :) I have it ordered but it hasn't come yet >< But looks like I made the right decision in picking this up brand spankin new.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im really loving the game..my only minor issue is that even on hard it seems a little too easy. There are other minor nitpicks i could point out but i don't feel they're really issues that hinder the game so much as personal preferences.

Curufinwe

I just download the soundtrack sampler and my copy of the game came today, too, even though I only got FSSS from Amazon. Probably won't get to start it till tomorrow, though.

lol it's a trap... As much as I hate that meme, this game is just too good and funny.

None of the lines ever seem forced. The controls feel a bit loose, could just be me, but I turned down the aiming speed. The posters you find on the walls are great too, gives you a bit of history about demons.

dreamfall

Furio53 said:
follow your heart

I followed my heart, and it made me slightly sad. Ended up just picking it up on 360 (UE usually works out better) but I like my Dualshock so much! Well, I'm fucking so ecstatic to try this out. And finally download the official soundtrack! (I think we're very fortunate as multi-console owners, but I worry about these things! Red Dead- here's looking at you.)

I'll wait until more hands-on are posted here and I'll probably get it Thursday for the long week-end. I don't know if it's short (7-10 hours) and I don't know if there's any replay value, but it looks like something that's being developed and designed by people who enjoy what they do instead of looking like its being designed by a committee.

B-Dex

Furio53 said:
...coming back through the beginning sections of the game with the upgraded weapons wouldn't have been very interesting I would think, but that is just my opinion. It would have been insanely easy haha.

Part of the FUN/point of New Game +!

So what's the general consensus on this game from actual gamers (not reviews)?

It doesn't seem like the kind of game that would review too high, but I'm thinking it might appeal to me. I'm on the way to Best Buy to pick up Alice: Madness Returns... so quick, general impressions would be great cause I don't want to read through the entire thread in the next 10 minutes, lol.

Reave

The gameplay (which is beyond FUN) has a few discreet quirks here and there, but otherwise, I think that SotD is incredibly well thought out and polished. The music, as everyone has said, is fantastic... and the atmosphere, grit and narrative actually work. For a spur-of-the-moment purchase, I think I might have found my 2nd favorite game of 2011 so far (Portal 2).

I love when games that weren't on my radar take me by such surprise like this. If this is what any of you guys are hoping for out of Shadows of the Damned, you'll love it.

burgerdog

Furio53 said:
Balancing the game was a very tedious thing also, and coming back through the beginning sections of the game with the upgraded weapons wouldn't have been very interesting I would think, but that is just my opinion. It would have been insanely easy haha.

Look, you have to beat the game at least once to open up new game+ so that means we beat the game under the balance that you originally set. Who gives a shit if it's easier under new game+? As a matter of fact, running through the game a second time using your upgraded items that weren't available at that point in the game is what makes a second run through with new game+ so much fun.

Alien Manobo said:
Err.. no. Steve Blum as Garcia, Greg Ellis as Johnson

Steve Blum's voice kinda bleeds in a bit too much here, they should have got a spanish guy to voice the part.

Also I recently rewatched Cowboy Bebop and played Bulletstorm so...lol I'm feeling fatigue.

Shurs

Played for an hour or so.

For better or worse, this feels like a last-gen game.

I've found nothing in the game, aside from the atmosphere, that beckons me back to it.

The controls, particularly the aiming, feel a bit janky,

The game is incredibly linear. Any sense of accomplishment that could come from exploring is done away with as any part of the environment that can be interacted with has a button prompt pop up in front of it.

I'm hoping it gets better soon.

legbone

i don't know why but i just love johnson's line: "the shadow world be dark" or something like that. i'm running from memory. just replayed the first chapter and it went much quicker of course. i can see replays of this being really short. good thing since there is no new game plus and no stacking difficulty cheevos.

serenade, you sir are in for a treat and i envy you. i can never see that opening again for the first time.

jackdoe

Alien Manobo said:
Err.. no. Steve Blum as Garcia, Greg Ellis as Johnson
Well, if two people are saying the same thing, it almost definitely means I'm wrong. Still, I could have sworn there was a trailer which listed VA and had Nolan North's name next to the Johnson portrait.

Furio53

burgerdog said:
Look, you have to beat the game at least once to open up new game+ so that means we beat the game under the balance that you originally set. Who gives a shit if it's easier under new game+? As a matter of fact, running through the game a second time using your upgraded items that weren't available at that point in the game is what makes a second run through with new game+ so much fun.

Yeah, I understand. Like I said, that's just my opinion NOW, not during development. Like I said, there was only so much time to get the game done. It was a small, extremely devoted team of around 35 people.

Reave

Shurs said:

The game is incredibly linear.

Yes, this game does lack exploration -- I'll give you that. However, I'm glad Mikami didn't do the usual "here, you're in a castle with locked doors, puzzles and baddies... no go explore your way out" thing like in Devil May Cry and some of his RE games. I love that stuff too, but I wanted something different, and I think this more focused approach works quite well in SotD.

As for the aiming, I can't say I've had problems. Maybe try turning the sensitivity down a notch? I did it, and I didn't have any issues. Really, the player movement can be a little too sped up, and the camera swings with momentum after you stop. That's the only two things that stood out to me.

And for the comment of it feeling last-gen, that's where I'd have to disagree the most. I don't think the game is paving new ground either, but I think it's definitely a step up from most action games of last gen. I think the gameplay is very serviceable to this gen.

Just a few polite disagreements, and hopefully that helps you potential buyers out there get an idea about some of the concerns about the game.

legbone

shit man, you can move and shoot at the same time, how next gen does it get? just kidding. i understand these arguments/opinions. the game is not a technological powerhouse. it's just a great blend of humor/music/art style/presentation. i'll take that anyday over pure graphical prowess. of course, i enjoyed WET, so maybe i'm not the best person to speak on the matter. i will say, i am fucking loving this game. so there's that too.

Coverly

Loving the game, didn't have a lot of expectations for it but man is it good. Some of the comments are pretty damn funny, like that gate covered in pubes.

Shurs said:
I don't agree with this. This is a very modern game in the worst way.

Anyone saying this is similar to RE4 is a fool. The similarities are superficial. There's no meat to this game at all. It's just walking in a straight line from one set piece to the next, shooting occasionally. You don't need to worry about ammo. You don't even need to worry about aiming! You can take out nearly every enemy during the first few hours by doing Light Shot + melee QTE.

Maybe it gets better after that but what I've seen so far has been so dull that I don't want to continue. Doesn't help that it's terribly unfunny.

I love Mikami, I like Suda, but I'm hoping their participation with this was minimal, because this is not good.

Damn, this game just oozes style. I've only played for 20 minutes but I'm liking it so much I couldn't wait to post something.

I laughed so hard when I opened up the pause menu and saw the word
Johnsonpedia

stupei

Played about an hour and LOVING it so far. Had to stop for a while to let someone else use the TV for a while -- which of course proves to me that I should've waited for it on Wii U.

aegies

Shurs said:

I've found nothing in the game, aside from the atmosphere, that beckons me back to it.

The game is incredibly linear. Any sense of accomplishment that could come from exploring is done away with as any part of the environment that can be interacted with has a button prompt pop up in front of it.

I honestly think that if you're not into it yet, it's not going to grab you any more than it has.

Rummy Bunnz said:
I don't agree with this. This is a very modern game in the worst way.

Anyone saying this is similar to RE4 is a fool. The similarities are superficial. There's no meat to this game at all. It's just walking in a straight line from one set piece to the next, shooting occasionally. You don't need to worry about ammo. You don't even need to worry about aiming! You can take out nearly every enemy during the first few hours by doing Light Shot + melee QTE.

Maybe it gets better after that but what I've seen so far has been so dull that I don't want to continue. Doesn't help that it's terribly unfunny.

I love Mikami, I like Suda, but I'm hoping their participation with this was minimal, because this is not good.

That sounds a lot like Resident Evil 4 from what I remember... ?

Lard

Banned
I have three weeks of my summer course left. I'm only working three days a week.

I don't have the time OR money to pick this up. :(

Horrible timing for the release.

Shurs

aegies said:
I honestly think that if you're not into it yet, it's not going to grab you any more than it has.

That's a shame.

I made it past the first "boss" fight, which was, essentially, shoot the red spot for massive damage.

Surprisingly, I like the atmosphere. There is a synergy between it all that works well. It's an interesting world to bounce around in even if it feels like you are being pushed down the cattle chute most of the time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Antitype said:
That sounds a lot like Resident Evil 4 from what I remember... ?

I'm playing on hard, am missing a lot of shots, and still don't come close to running out of ammo is what he's talking about. RE4 gave you way more ammo than the old REs, but it still did require some skillful use of it. SotD doesn't feel that much like RE4 anyway IMO, it's a lot faster and very arcadey feeling, you constantly run by ammo boxes and everything in the game is basically magnetically attracted to you.

burgerdog

Furio53 said:
Yeah, I understand. Like I said, that's just my opinion NOW, not during development. Like I said, there was only so much time to get the game done. It was a small, extremely devoted team of around 35 people.
It's not a deal breaker, just would have been nice to have. I am buying the game regardless.

Dizzle24

Furio53 said:
As far as I know, there are enough Red Gems. In fact, I hid some of them, so look carefully. :)
Some are part of puzzles, some are kind of tough to get :)

The thing is, there was only so much time. (regarding the New game +) I don't want to get TOO specific, but we were very, very busy trying to get the game as best as we could, making it fun, and unfortunately some stuff just couldn't get put in without it being really risky. Balancing the game was a very tedious thing also, and coming back through the beginning sections of the game with the upgraded weapons wouldn't have been very interesting I would think, but that is just my opinion. It would have been insanely easy haha.

How about a patch that would allow the weapons to be upgraded to the point as they were when the game ends, when Garcia obtains them in the story?
So if I upgraded the Teether with full damage and capacity by the end of the game, in a "New game +" when I reach the story point again to obtain the weapon, it still has the upgrades intact?

PLEASE?

Top Bottom