• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

legbone

Aske said:
I'm inclined to guess that SotD will sell better than NMH. It's much less polarizing in terms of gameplay, and it's on the PS360. It'll sell less copies at launch by a huge margin, but I think it'll have far better sales over all. Be interesting to see how it shakes out.

There's one thing that i'm worried about. NMH was on the Wii at a time when it was pretty much the only title available for people who like this kind of mature gaming. It didn't really have much competition except for Mad World and Mad World isn't as good. And I think it came out a lot later if i remember correctly. anyway, a lot of my friends bought NMH just because they wanted something to play on their Wii besides bowling. They wouldn't have bought NMH normally. I'm worried that SotD will get even fewer sales. but maybe my logic is flawed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Add me into the group of people that wouldn't have known this was coming out today if it weren't for this thread. That said, I'll hopefully be going to pick it up after work.

Curufinwe

The pre-order Soundtrack sampler download is done thru EA not the Amazon mp3 store, so you have to have an EA Account or register for one to get it.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for ordering Shadows of the Damned. See below for instructions on how to access your soundtrack pre-order bonus.

Here is your bonus code:

To receive your Shadows of the Damned songs:

Step 1: Visit http://www.ea.com/shadows-of-the-damned/music
Step 2: Sign in or create an EA Account
Step 3: Enter the code displayed above
Step 4: Select "download" to receive your soundtrack sampler

This games totally relates to my interests. Why on earth weren't we made aware of its release ?

My backlog is huge. Fuck it, still buying it for the love of Suda and Mikami.

eXistor

meltingparappa said:
Uh... my amazon order arrives today, on a Tuesday like any other game (I assume you're in NA)?
Europe, but it's cool, we just got the OK. Can't wait! I was gonna wait until my holiday in a week and a half, but I'm just gonna play it now.

Median said:
The Joystiq review says that Garcia's middle name is 'Fucking'. THIS GAME

after watching the stream for a few minutes... they seriously tried too hard. which is a good thing, but I won't be playing this around anyone.

Peff

Yeah, it's taste. This game is so bought.

EDIT: This definitely makes NMH like something MS would have shown after Disneyland Adventures, haha.

Peff said:
Yeah, it's taste. This game is so bought.

EDIT: This definitely makes NMH like something MS would have shown after Disneyland Adventures, haha.
how does the tastelessness compare to Duke Nukem Forever? when that stopped being tastelss about a third of the way in, it got a lot less interesting.

i'm avoiding spoilers, so no specific examples if you don't mind.

Peff

plagiarize said:
how does the tastelessness compare to Duke Nukem Forever? when that stopped being tastelss about a third of the way in, it got a lot less interesting.

i'm avoiding spoilers, so no specific examples if you don't mind.

Well, from what I saw in the stream it's not so much "lol strippers" or "lol throw poop" as it is a set of really bizarre situations with dick jokes, boobs and carefully placed portals. I couldn't say if the rest of the game gets worse but I suppose it'll stay around that line.

Variety seems to be pretty decent as well.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
According to Joystiq, they threw in some 2D shoot 'em up levels.

Can you say SWEET?

That stream just showed some of the 2D sections - and it looks poorly designed. I sure hope they're optional.

K' Dash

plagiarize said:
i will be. it's my house damnit!

I'd like to see you playing in your living room with your family there while Garcia shouts from your Home Theater: "TAKE MY BIG BONER", and after that watch Paula naked dancing and moaning lol...

Tempy said:
That stream just showed some of the 2D sections - and it looks poorly designed. I sure hope they're optional.

They're obligatory but easy, I haven't died in any of them.

This thread is starting to be a bit of a spoiler land mine.

If this game had move support, it would prompt me to finally buy a bundle.

Doing the melee kills makes me think of NMH and wish I could do the the final blow motion.

brandonh83 said:
after watching the stream for a few minutes... they seriously tried too hard. which is a good thing, but I won't be playing this around anyone.

It takes a lot of influence from Grindhouse style movies. It doesn't take itself seriously.

As for the 2D sections, sounds like a Bayonetta style thing with the Angel's Attack mini-game in between levels, and then the motorcycle and missile surfing sections.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*bow Grasshopper bow*

Game is exactly what I imagined it to be, flaws and all. Not really much I can say about it that others haven't already said. The action is good, the scenarios are fantastic, the setting is compelling, and the soundtrack is really way too good. Yamaoka's best work in a very long time.

The only thing I'm not fond of is that its a typically clumsy UE3 PS3 game, with pretty noticable texture pop-in from time to time. On the plus side the godrays are there, so yay!

eshwaaz

From the Destructoid review:
"I hate to say it, but the game itself is pretty atrociously buggy. For one thing, screen-tearing absolutely dominates the graphics, appearing regularly and obnoxiously throughout the entire course of the game. I also encountered no less than three glitches that actively roadblocked my progression and forced me to reload a checkpoint."
Ugh, screen tearing is the visual bane of my video game existence; my most hated technical shortcoming. I'm still going to buy the game, but the tearing will bother me throughout.

GhostBlade

Neo Member
Tempy said:

They are not optional and they are poorly designed and even include a boss fight. Act 4 was easily my least favorite part of the game. Other than that though the game is an absolute blast. Love it!

Owzers

eshwaaz said:
From the Destructoid review:
"I hate to say it, but the game itself is pretty atrociously buggy. For one thing, screen-tearing absolutely dominates the graphics, appearing regularly and obnoxiously throughout the entire course of the game. I also encountered no less than three glitches that actively roadblocked my progression and forced me to reload a checkpoint."
Ugh, screen tearing is the visual bane of my video game existence; my most hated technical shortcoming. I'm still going to buy the game, but the tearing will bother me throughout.

hmmmmmmmm but is the screen tearing the same on ps3 and 360?

edgefusion

I only just heard about this game from Giant Bombs "I Love Mondays" and it looks rad! So pumped for it and it's coming out so soon, what a nice a surprise. Garcia Hotspur is hotttt.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
While the game looks fun, I want to also support it simply because the main character is not your typical bald headed white guy.

Coldsnap

Would you guys say this game is perfect for someone who has always wanted to play No More Heroes but never owned a Wii?

Guts Of Thor said:
While the game looks fun, I want to also support it simply because the main character is not your typical bald headed white guy.
you should also buy Alice. not only is she female and NOT bald, but she has the best hair of any game character ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CaptYamato said:
I want to know. Can I move and shoot?

Yes. You can also roll in four directions, quick turn and melee attack.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Coldsnap said:
Would you guys say this game is perfect for someone who has always wanted to play No More Heroes but never owned a Wii?

Well, they're basically totally different games. If you want to experience Suda weirdness than I guess this is what you got, though.

The perfect game for your situation is the PS3 port of No More Heroes. =P

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like GAF might agree with Jim Sterling for the first time.

jett

D-Member
Curufinwe said:
So EA have done a little marketing - there's a 9 minute interview about the game with an EA producer on the most recent Major Nelson podcast.

Same guy who is going to be doing a live Q&A session today at 7pm EST.

http://www.ea.com/shadows-of-the-damned/blog/archive/June-2011

I think EA is sending this to die. I think they've been unhappy with the western->japanese development process. I remember reading an article last year with someone at EA stating that they had "learned some lessons" during the production of this game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My copy is already out for delivery, but I won't be able to play it for at least 10 more hours.

Fuck.

Synless

jett said:
I think EA is sending this to die. I think they've been unhappy with the western->japanese development process. I remember reading an article last year with someone at EA stating that they had "learned some lessons" during the production of this game.
This is a really naive way of thinking on their part. The money is sunk and the game is getting solid reviews. There really is no reason for them to brush it under the rug when it has the potential to sell. This is only one of many things wrong with the videogame industry.

Dr Eggman said:
Eurogamer said:
Shadows of the Damned lacks the polish of Mikami's Capcom work, showing a rough edge that its creators no doubt hope communicates their punk attitude to game development, but really just comes across as a bit shoddy. But at a time when few publishers of EA's stature are willing to take genuine risks, its uniqueness is welcome and interesting. And as a celebration of the puerile, it leaves Duke Nukem Forever standing, staring longingly at its tit bridge.

I'll take it.

K' Dash

Smision said:
lol "tit bridge"

It's not a tit bridge,
the giant body of Paula serves as a bridge and you have to walk over her chest
, unless there's a tit bridge I've not seen yet.

lljride

Never even heard of this game before yesterday, but now the impressions and reviews have piqued my interest like crazy. I'll still probably wait for at least one price drop though, I can't imagine this will stay full price for long.

Top Bottom