• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

marrioncobretti

Neo Member
Yeah Tough texan could work. Instead of hunting animals, Garcia has made the shift to demons. But if he needs to stay the way he is, he needs to speak more like Razor Ramon.

soultron

Banned
vodka-bull said:
360 or PS3, are there any differences/is any version superior?
I had some choppy slowdown in an in-engine cutscene -- after landing the final shot on a boss while their was tonnes of stuff happening on screen. That's the worst I've seen on 360 so far. Haven't really been keeping my eye out for screen tearing though... might be in there.

MonkeyKnuckle said:
I'm in the process of uploading the first 30 minutes or so to my youtube channel. It's taking ages though as it's rendered in 1080p. First 15 minutes is there for all to see.

http://www.youtube.com/user/monkeyknuckle

You'll have to put up with my boring, English accent talking over the top of it though, sorry.

Thank you for this. Can't get the game right now and of all the videos this is the one I enjoy the most. Actually like your accent :)

ascully

Been playing all night this game is fantastic, love the
Evil Dead
level a perfect tribute to one of the best horror movies of all time.

got to 4-2 on hard

other then the horrible unreal engine typicals, i really like the game so far!

combat is a lot of fun

texture pop in is completely over the top.

soultron said:
Yeah. Same thing I was saying yesterday!

I can't recommend this game enough. The terrible trailers don't do this game justice... I had no fucking idea how it would play from watching them.
I've only seen one play-through/trailer-thing, and it looked really good then. I think I remember seeing an absolutely terrible advertisement for this game on Youtube not too long ago, so I guess it's not completely low-key...

Now to find out which version and superior, and wait for the
inevitable
bomba pricing. It sounds like the 360 was the lead development platform...

Teknoman

Damn, agreed that trailers do this game no justice whatsoever.

Legion Hunter mode + Yamaoka aural goodness + Suda insanity + Mikami advice (i'm guessing he just gave advice to Massimo) =

ibgXnQ.gif

I really hope they come through with a patch that includes new game + and DMD difficulty or something other Legion Hunter (hard mode).

360 version here, and this also has to be one of the best title screen/select game screens i've seen in awhile. Aside from the Brutal Legend one of course.

Someone here needs to make a custom trailer or something for this game.

EDIT: Cant wait for the full soundtrack.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For those on the fence as to which version to get, go with the Xbox 360. I haven't seen it, but I cant imagine it being any worse than the PS3 version, which is frankly terrible when it comes to texture and LOD pop-in.

Lerozz

Big meh. Wanted to get it today immediately after having seen the start on justin.tv instead of ordering online and waiting for delivery. Went to 2 stores where I could use my coupon worth of 17 euros ... first one had it for 64,99 euros, the second for 79,90. Fuck those big retailers, man ! :mad:

Been playing this for a few hours and I gotta admit that I don't feel much of a Suda 51 vibe at all. It's much more of a Mikami game in almost every respect. I don't feel there's that much insane or quirky stuff going on plot/character wise.

Otacon

Uncompromisable said:
Been playing this for a few hours and I gotta admit that I don't feel much of a Suda 51 vibe at all. It's much more of a Mikami game in almost every respect. I don't feel there's that much insane or quirky stuff going on plot/character wise.

is that a good or bad thing in your opinion?

Dascu

Uncompromisable said:
From what I've seen (livestream of the game), it seems to be the most shallow Suda game to date. It's like NMH without the cutscenes or story symbolism. Disappointing but not very unexpected. Oh how I wish he stuck with Kurayami's concept instead.

The ending is rather nice though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its cleary adhering to the 'road movie' concept established early on. The game is about constantly moving forward on the adventure, meeting colourful characters and seeing strage sights along the way. Its closer to No More Heroes than any of Grasshopper's other games.

And yes, its not loaded with symbolism and other such things, but it doesn't need to be. Its still rich in atmosphere and the whole game (so far) has striking character. If you play Grasshopper/Suda games for the symbolism you'll be disappointed, but if you play it for the adventure and concepts you'll be impressed.

Its still very much a Grasshopper game.

Otacon said:
is that a good or bad thing in your opinion?
Bad thing for me personaly.

Yes I do play Suda games for the heavy symbolism, subtle social commentary and quite frankly the sheer randomness/bizarreness (Killer7, NMH). I mean the action in Shadows of the Damned is average so far. I gotta give props for the character designs, they're mostly very cool, but the content is shallow and way too mainstream to be a real Suda game. Unfortunately I think the only thing this game will have in common with previous Suda titles is the low-ish sales numbers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
For those on the fence as to which version to get, go with the Xbox 360. I haven't seen it, but I cant imagine it being any worse than the PS3 version, which is frankly terrible when it comes to texture and LOD pop-in.
What about tearing and slowdown? The 360 version is pretty smooth overall, but there is more tearing than I had expected and the framerate doesn't always hold steady. Can't say I've noticed any pop-in, though, which is a plus.

Ridley327

xbulletholes said:
aw man, the turret section is really killing my fun... :(

edit: typed too soon, wasn't half as bad as i thought it was. :)

edit 2: nope, there's another one. urghhh. :(
I thought that part went on way too long, but the awesome grindhouse music that's playing throughout was stellar.

We seriously need a full soundtrack release.

G.O.O.

Dascu said:
From what I've seen (livestream of the game), it seems to be the most shallow Suda game to date. It's like NMH without the cutscenes or story symbolism. Disappointing but not very unexpected. Oh how I wish he stuck with Kurayami's concept instead.

The ending is rather nice though.
I'm still buying the game but I'm afraid it won't get better with future GHM titles. They'll probably keep the punk style over the symbolism and experimental gameplay (which I'll miss a lot, if not the most).

EatChildren

dark10x said:
What about tearing and slowdown? The 360 version is pretty smooth overall, but there is more tearing than I had expected and the framerate doesn't always hold steady. Can't say I've noticed any pop-in, though, which is a plus.

Framerate seems okay, though slightly dips every now and then. Theres definitely tearing, but I've trained myself to become completely oblivious to tearing on console games. I'm anal about v-sync on PC, but I dont have that option on consoles. The texture pop-in is the killer. Its so, so bad, especially on loading after you die.

Anyway, I'm halfway through Act 4 and I can safely say that anybody who doesn't classify this as a Grasshopper game has a completely different perception of the company to me. Its distinctly Grasshopper from top to bottom, from the rich atmosphere to the quirky concepts. I'm absolutely loving this game because I dont know what is going to be around the next corner, or how the next scenario will play out.

My greatest fear is that the game would devolve into mindless corridor running and waves of enemies. Nope. Theres a ton of combat, but each encounter is set up in a way that seperates it from all the others. There's always some gameplay quirk or twist to keep combat interesting.

Throw in awesome characters, a great setting, a fantastic dialogue between Garcia and Johnson and you've got yourselves a winner. Unless this game tanks over the next chapter or so, consider all expectations met.

Ridley327

Square Triangle said:
I prefer to enjoy the story and whatnot in games so I tend to go for the easier difficulties. How is Hard mode in this game?
If you're experienced in games like RE4 and Dead Space, I would recommend starting on Hard if you're looking for a decent challenge.

EatChildren

Yeah normal is pretty easy. I've died three times maybe? Two of those were instant kills (no spoilers), and one was shortly after that segment and caused by sloppy play. You do need to watch your health, but you're given tons of ammo, upgrades, and alcohol that its pretty easy to get through everything without dying.

Its not a complete cakewalk though, which is good.

soultron said:
I had some choppy slowdown in an in-engine cutscene -- after landing the final shot on a boss while their was tonnes of stuff happening on screen. That's the worst I've seen on 360 so far. Haven't really been keeping my eye out for screen tearing though... might be in there.
Pretty much same for me except I'm on the PS3. I haven't noticed any screen tearing yet. But I did have the choppy slowdown in an in-engine cutscene as well (it was after killing the boss at the end of act 2).

Uncompromisable said:
Hard mode is not hard at all.
I'm just agreeing with this. It's really not that challeneging.

I'll wait until I beat SotD this weekend before I give an actual review/impressions about the game. For now I'll simply say that I'm having fun, loving the music, and not regretting a day 1 purchase.

Adam J.

LongDongJunon said:
Cam Clarke mutha fuckas!!!

Haven't heard his sweet voice in a good while
Anything this man graces with his golden pipes is always good. Makes me want this game even more...

bender

What time is it?
BentMyWookiee said:
Pretty much same for me except I'm on the PS3. I haven't noticed any screen tearing yet. But I did have the choppy slowdown in an in-engine cutscene as well (it was after killing the boss at the end of act 2).

The PS3 version has noticeable screen tearing. It doesn't happen often enough to be a distraction.

I finished chapter four last night and that really dragged the experience down for me. The change of pace segment aren't very entertaining and the boss battles are getting progressively worse. I seem to be in the minority though as I'm not really digging the writing or voice work. Both feel a little flat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The music in this game is so damn good. I expected that, but it still blew that out of the water.

Ridley327

Adam J. said:
Anything this man graces with his golden pipes is always good. Makes me want this game even more...
It helps that he's playing Christopher almost exactly like he did Andrei Ulmeyda of Killer7 fame.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Uncompromisable said:
Bad thing for me personaly.

Yes I do play Suda games for the heavy symbolism, subtle social commentary and quite frankly the sheer randomness/bizarreness (Killer7, NMH). I mean the action in Shadows of the Damned is average so far. I gotta give props for the character designs, they're mostly very cool, but the content is shallow and way too mainstream to be a real Suda game. Unfortunately I think the only thing this game will have in common with previous Suda titles is the low-ish sales numbers.

But you're talking about the script. Suda didn't write this game, he didn't even direct it. From an overall studio perspective, this is very very much a Grasshopper Manufacture game.

Dascu

John Harker said:
But you're talking about the script. Suda didn't write this game, he didn't even direct it. From an overall studio perspective, this is very very much a Grasshopper Manufacture game.
Yes he did?

He also directed and co-wrote Fatal Frame 4, by the way. People always seem to ignore that title when talking about GHM's output.

K' Dash

John Harker said:

the credits said he's the writer, iirc.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dascu said:
Yes he did?

He also directed and co-wrote Fatal Frame 4, by the way. People always seem to ignore that title when talking about GHM's output.

I was under the impression he wrote the scenario/story and not the actual script.
I could be wrong. Either way, I think it's great.

Is the PS3 version passable? It's bizarre, but I want to keep all my Mikami stuff in the same place this gen, and I got Vanquish on PS3.

K' Dash said:
the credits said he's the writer, iirc.
The only small Suda51 touch I've seen so far is the story of how Garcia met Paula, and maybe the small weird bits of monster lore here and there, like the George and the harmonica story.

No suda touches in terms of gameplay yet though.

Synless

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm now much more interested in the PS3 port of No More Heroes. I was never a Suda 51 gamer until now.
If I recall the port for NMH is an outsourced one by a different company and doesn't run all that well from what I've read.

Hex

Banned
_dementia said:
Is the PS3 version passable? It's bizarre, but I want to keep all my Mikami stuff in the same place this gen, and I got Vanquish on PS3.

It has been perfect so far

Trevelyan

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah, it seems to run fine for me. Only issue is the texture loading, but that's an obvious one.

EatChildren

_dementia said:

Yeah its fine, and by fine I mean playable but with typical UE3 woes. You will notice texture loading problems. Otherwise everything else works as expected.

dark10x said:
i was experiencing lots of tearing in the 360 version. i set my 360 to 720p (i had it set to 1080p) and it greatly helped reduce if for me. if you haven't tried that, give it a go.

Teknoman

I know all the puns and jokes seem like something you'd hear in a Suda title, and i've heard people say "What the hell" multiple times while watching me play, so thats good enough for me lol.

Glad to see Yamaoka have a chance to do things outside the Silent Hill universe, but he will be missed for Silent Hill.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
_dementia said:
There are texture loading problems, obviously, but other than that it runs pretty smoothly.

Top Bottom