• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

K' Dash

Uncompromisable said:
The only small Suda51 touch I've seen so far is the story of how Garcia met Paula, and maybe the small weird bits of monster lore here and there, like the George and the harmonica story.

No suda touches in terms of gameplay yet though.

gameplay is all Mikami.

Ridley327

Teknoman said:
I know all the puns and jokes seem like something you'd hear in a Suda title, and i've heard people say "What the hell" multiple times while watching me play, so thats good enough for me lol.

Glad to see Yamaoka have a chance to do things outside the Silent Hill universe, but he will be missed for Silent Hill.
I'm just glad that he seems to be fully rejuvenated these days; after SH3, his soundtracks got progressively more and more mediocre and the number of true standout tracks started dropping in frequency, as well. I was excited to see what he would be doing on this game after the tease of the few tracks that he did do for NMH2, and it absolutely blew my expectations away. I don't think they can pay the man enough for the work he's done.

i sort of found a way to break the combat without using any ammo

just fire the mines into an enemy, or a bunch into a bunch of enemies. then just roll into them. the I-frames of the roll seem to last the entire time so you won't take damage.

it's powerful and kills multiples. i used it in the swamp to grind some gems.

is it possible to max the weapons? i mean i'm looking as best as i can, but at 4-2 i still need a shitload of red gems

todahawk

What are gaffers clocking in for their first run-through?

Seems odd that there's no NG+ and yet it seems no one has been able to max out the weapons in one play through.

eXistor

Bit further into the game now. Yeah I love this fucking game. It just feels like a perfect throwback to those old Capcom games like Trojan or Ghosts 'n Goblins. This is a video game and it's not afraid to let us know.

eXistor said:
Bit further into the game now. Yeah I love this fucking game. It just feels like a perfect throwback to those old Capcom games like Trojan or Ghosts 'n Goblins. This is a video game and it's not afraid to let us know.
How?

Riposte

eXistor said:

Every videogame I've played has been a videogame. I don't think any of them were afraid of letting me know, because I was able to figure that out pretty quickly.

EDIT: Shadows of the Damn reminds me a lot of Halo because Halo is a videogame and Shadows of the Damn is also a videogame.

Love the music and the swag to this game. It reminds why I love Japanese developed games. The highlight for me was 4-3 I believe
The side scrolling stage
The music was sooooo good in that stage. Can't wait to beat it in a few.

GABDEG

Saw this game for 69€ today.. yeah, it's gonna bomb..

A real shame, I'm totally in love with this game. Love the shooting, love the music and general atmosphere. I'd have to say my favorite game of 2011 so far.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Riposte said:
Every videogame I've played has been a videogame. I don't think any of them were afraid of letting me know, because I was able to figure that out pretty quickly.

EDIT: Shadows of the Damn reminds me a lot of Halo because Halo is a videogame and Shadows of the Damn is also a videogame.

I assume he meant it's not trying to hide its gamey-ness like so many modern "cinematic experience" games do. I still don't see why the comparison should be to Trojan and Ghosts and Goblins. There have been a million other gamey games since then.

On the third act. SHIIIIIT! This game is totally Resident Evil 4 2.0! The default aiming speed feels way too loose. Once you lower it to the third notch or so, the game feels way better. I'm headshotting bitches left and right!

K' Dash

On the third act. SHIIIIIT! This game is totally Resident Evil 4 2.0! The default aiming speed feels way too loose. Once you lower it to the third notch or so, the game feels way better. I'm headshotting bitches left and right!

I think if you shot normal demons on the leg and then step on them with "X" repeatedly they give you moar cristals, can anyone confirm, Furio maybe?.

Kajiba

K' Dash said:
I think if you shot normal demons on the leg and then step on them with "X" repeatedly they give you moar cristals, can anyone confirm, Furio maybe?.

Yeah i think so. I stomp one out and like 5 crystals came out for just one demon.

_dementia said:
Is the PS3 version passable? It's bizarre, but I want to keep all my Mikami stuff in the same place this gen, and I got Vanquish on PS3.

to go off of this question, is aim/shoot on L2/R2 or L1/R1...or is there an option to switch like in Vanquish?

Sidzed2

Linkzg said:
to go off of this question, is aim/shoot on L2/R2 or L1/R1...or is there an option to switch like in Vanquish?

Aiming is on L1, shooting is on R1, and shooting the secondary 'Light shot' is on R2. It feels great.

EDIT: Beaten.

Trevelyan

Banned
StuBurns said:
Just watched the GT review, it looks terrible. I was pretty excited about it till now.
I just watched it too, and all it did was reaffirm my stance on never trusting a review. I'm having a blast with it and the atmosphere the game creates is phenomenal. My biggest surprise of the year. If you were excited about it, don't let the review dissuade you, it's a truly unique and fantastic title

StuBurns

Banned
Trevelyan said:
I just watched it too, and all it did was reaffirm my stance on never trusting a review. I'm having a blast with it and the atmosphere the game creates is phenomenal. My biggest surprise of the year. If you were excited about it, don't let the review dissuade you, it's a truly unique and fantastic title
Well it has certainly gone some way to dissuade me, but I'll watch the GiantBomb QL and maybe that'll make up my mind. It'd be much easier if they just put out a demo.

Trevelyan said:
Pretty much this. I'm having and amazing blast with this game. And having a stellar soundtrack is a huge plus for me, Good stuff. Is there a OST for this game for sale?

Just blindly purchased this, it says "Shinji Mikami" and "Akira Yamaoka" on the back, so yes, I mean what the fuck of course I bought it. Now I just hope I don't regret it.

And as far as reviews are concerned, yeah, Alice: Madness Returns. Yeah.

I just finished the game on Legion Hunter mode and all I can say is Hooveewaah! Ooveezah! Every chapter of the game never failed to make me laugh. Other games that made me really burst into laughter were Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and HotD:Overkill, I can now put this game on my "LOL So Hard That It Hurts" list.

If ever there's going to be a patch for this game, I hope they add in an option to skip cutscenes to make replays go faster.

I noticed that some red gems hidden in barrels don't respawn when you select continue after dying. Only way for me to fix it was to quit and restart the game. It sucks that I found out about it when I was already at Act 4 or 5.

Some boss fights were cheese to the max:
Reaper 2, Paula area 2
The build up to the boss fight of
Justine was a let down, as much as I love the 2D levels, I was expecting to have a crazy melodic fight with her

From what I can see there's no extra trophy for [post game spoiler]
beating the game on Satanic Hell Mode
since I don't see anything marked as a hidden trophy.

The ending was superb and I clapped as the game faded to black.
As I was reminiscing on the game that I had just played, the lulz and fuuuuuuus that I had experienced, as the end credits rolled out... OMG! Johnson you magnificent crazy horny demon you! I'm spoiler tagging this since I was surprised by the post credit scene and want people who actually sit through credits feel rewarded.

I hope this sells well. I know this game is not a technical masterpiece nor is it a grand retelling of life, love and all that's dead, but there's something about how every aspect of this game including its flaws make it one hell of a crazy experience that I truly enjoyed. The awesome atmosphere, off the wall-sometimes campy dialogue and characters were all blended in perfectly with the masterful soundtrack, just like a B-Movie that I'll enjoy over and over again. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants NEEDS more crazy games like this.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
the ONLY gameplay issue that is starting to get on my nerves is the auto lock roll. It should be controllable i don't like how the game decides that i wanna circle 'roll strafe' around the enemy for me. Not a huge deal but i have rolled into enemies when i really shouldn't have.

soultron

Banned
Finished on Normal. 7:33.

Great game. I don't regret paying full price for it at all. Really would love a sequel of some sort. Garcia and Johnson are definitely likeable characters.

This gen's God Hand. Not in terms of difficulty (it's really easy) but in terms of charm and quirk.

Dizzle24

LOVEEEEEEE the game. Definitely a one of a kind game.

Only sections I do not like are the
side-scrolling 2D stages.

Favorite part, other than the action, is the giant books Garcia comes across and you can actually listen to Johnson and Garcia read them aloud. LOL at Garcia's reading comprehension.

StuBurns

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
LOVEEEEEEE the game. Definitely a one of a kind game.

Only sections I do not like are the
side-scrolling 2D stages.

Favorite part, other than the action, is the giant books Garcia comes across and you can actually listen to Johnson and Garcia read them aloud. LOL at Garcia's reading comprehension.
Watching the review this was pretty surprising to me. EA put out this and Alice at the same time, both feature these, and both in a very similar style which is completely different to the main game. So strange.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought to myself, "There's no way they can top the
bowling alley
." and then I got to
the Pachinko machine

Dizzle24

StuBurns said:
Watching the review this was pretty surprising to me. EA put out this and Alice at the same time, both feature these, and both in a very similar style which is completely different to the main game. So strange.

I was thinking the same thing when I made it to the first area like this. Having been playing Alice as well, I thought, "Didn't I just do this?"

It's cool I guess, but I prefer the straight up action.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
StuBurns said:

SotD uses that style in the loading screens and during level progression atleast.

Draft

My first impressions are:

Screen tearing is really bad (Xbox version), otherwise the game looks great.
It's such a pleasure to be playing something with Akira Yamaoka sound effects. Even hitting A to continue is a treat.
The killer7 blood fountain is my favorite blood effect.
Comic relief is funnier with a British accent.

Curufinwe

I played to the end of 2-1 and the tearing on the 360 version is pretty annoying. Next time I'm going to set my display to 720p in the 360 dashboard and see if that helps.

Liking the game a lot so far, though. Johnson is as funny as Wheatley was in Portal 2, and I really like light-freezing enemies and then killing them in one hit with a melee attack.

Not being able to skip cutscenes is going to suck when I play on Hard and Easy, as does having to pull the battery pack off the back of the controller to pause them.

StuBurns

Banned
Draft said:
My first impressions are:

Screen tearing is really bad (Xbox version), otherwise the game looks great.
It's such a pleasure to be playing something with Akira Yamaoka sound effects. Even hitting A to continue is a treat.
The killer7 blood fountain is my favorite blood effect.
Comic relief is funnier with a British accent.
Damn, I can't take tearing, I imagine it's even worse on PS3. It's going to have to be a rental I think.

Teknoman

StuBurns said:
Just watched the GT review, it looks terrible. I was pretty excited about it till now.

Get excite. Its really fun.

Im not getting really bad tearing that I can notice, but i've got it set to 1080p...so not sure if that makes a difference.

Even the load screens are cool/ have great music.

Trevelyan

Banned
StuBurns said:
Damn, I can't take tearing, I imagine it's even worse on PS3. It's going to have to be a rental I think.
I was gonna comment on this. My eyes aren't the best, but I can identify tearing, and honestly, I have yet to see any on the PS3 version. Anyone else with the PS3 version care to chime in also, as I'm curious if it does.

I'm on mission 3-2 btw.

Top Bottom