• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

~Kinggi~

Banned
Trevelyan said:
I was gonna comment on this. My eyes aren't the best, but I can identify tearing, and honestly, I have yet to see any on the PS3 version. Anyone else with the PS3 version care to chime in also, as I'm curious if it does.

I'm on mission 3-2 btw.
Seems odd as the footage i have seen of the ps3 version was basically constant tearing and the footage i have seen of the 360 has had very little tearing.

JEKKI

dang everyone's all like WOW and WHOAH and WHOO and WAT

and Im like dang I havent played since last nite, and I only made it to stage 2

>_<

Sidzed2

StuBurns said:
Damn, I can't take tearing, I imagine it's even worse on PS3. It's going to have to be a rental I think.

I haven't done any sort of in-depth analysis or observed the game very closely, but I too can safely say that I have not noticed any screen-tearing in the PS3 version. Texture pop-in is definitely a big of an issue, but very little-to-no screen tearing as far as my amateur eyes can see.

StuBurns

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
I haven't done any sort of in-depth analysis or observed the game very closely, but I too can safely say that I have not noticed any screen-tearing in the PS3 version. Texture pop-in is definitely a big of an issue, but very little-to-no screen tearing as far as my amateur eyes can see.
Strange there's different reports. Maybe it's all in the overscan and some people are using full scan. Hopefully we get those comparison things soon.

Trevelyon

Urgh! Copy protected save files on PS3. boo this game!

Just beat
George's human form. Pretty crazy design, ultra formulaic fight. Early days yet.

legbone

i've seen some tearing in the 360 version but not too bad. of course, tearing doesn't bother me too much unless it is to the extent that darksiders on 360 was before the patch. that was some serious fucking tearing. and now that johnson has told me a nice bed time story, i'm hitting the rack.

StuBurns

Banned
Trevelyon said:
That's surprising, haven't seen any tearing in the PS3.
If there's no tear I'm buying it this weekend, I've decided to hold off playing Alice till I have a suitable PC because I can't be doing with a platformer at 30fps. I could, but I'd sooner wait, and 3D platformers on PC are crazy rare, so it'd be nice to have one on there when I get a new machine.

Have only been able to put about an hour into the game so far, but a few things I feel I need to say; The soundtrack is fucking awesome. And second, the tone and atmosphere of the game is great.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, here's my dilemma, and I hope you guys can help me out: I love Vanquish. Like, a lot, and want to support Mikami as much as I reasonably can. I also think Suda has some great style, so this should be a match made in heaven.

But I don't like Resident Evil, I don't like horror games in general, and I don't like gore. How will I like this game?

From what I can tell, it would come down to (for me) how good the story is (and I'm not too hard to please here), the voice-acting, any new game +, and the weapons. Are the weapons fun and awesome? I hope they're fun. And awesome.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Say, is there any truth to the "reduce your 360 dashboard resolution to 720p and it reduces screen tearing" thing?

I'll have to give it a try...

I'm seeing fewer reports of tearing on the PS3 version. Could it be v-synced?

What were the odds that we would get three legitimately funny games this year (Portal 2, Bulletstorm, and this)?

I just got to the part where Garcia
reads the Stinky Bird
. I laughed really hard.

Great writing and voice acting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
canadian crowe said:
I just got to the part where Garcia
reads the Stinky Bird
. I laughed really hard.

That part was so funny.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think I'll give this a rent. Watched the GT review and the game looks and sounds like oven roasted shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Teknoman said:
Get excite. Its really fun.

Im not getting really bad tearing that I can notice, but i've got it set to 1080p...so not sure if that makes a difference.

Even the load screens are cool/ have great music.
Let them go. Who cares about someone whose opinion is COMPLETELY swayed by one review?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Square Triangle said:
You're taking GT's review over GAF general praise?

/slaps face

I said I would rent it, but this thing will bomb epicly so if I like it, I can buy at $20 in a month anyways. However, seeing the review, it looks very bad. =/ I'll play it though.

JEKKI

aw maaaaaaaan...

I found a baby gate that wanted a strawberry,

so I kept going, and found one!!

then I kept going... and I never saw that baby again :(

I eventually died and was left strawberry less, but yeay I guess this game is doing that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
canadian crowe said:
Made even better by Garcia's
laughing and lack of reading comprehension

The cherry on top was the final line.
With one hand he held up the peace sign, and with the other he was giving the middle finger. Hehehe. Sounds like an Alanis Morissette song.

soultron

Banned
EatChildren said:
The cherry on top was the final line.
With one hand he held up the peace sign, and with the other he was giving the middle finger. Hehehe. Sounds like an Alanis Morissette song.
Spoiler:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccck yooooooooooooooooooooooou!

EatChildren

soultron said:
Spoiler:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccck yooooooooooooooooooooooou!

sogood.gif

EatChildren

During Act 4, possibly 4-3, there's something that caught my eye. No story spoilers, but spoiler warning for those who are anal about discovering these things for themselves.

In the library there are two pieces of artwork by 'Flemming Whatshisface' called 'Puzzling Timepiece'. One to the left and one to the right of the area exit after the boss fight. If you lightshot (or maybe just shoot) the circular part of each clock they begin to tick, doing a full cycle before stopping. You can also stop them manually by shooting again.

Does anybody know if these are just there for looks, or if they actually do anything?

finished the game... i liked the end, even though i had to restart a boss due to something weird happening.

i love going back to the title screen and waiting 5 seconds for the trees to finish loading.

soultron

Banned
EatChildren said:
During Act 4, possibly 4-3, there's something that caught my eye. No story spoilers, but spoiler warning for those who are anal about discovering these things for themselves.

In the library there are two pieces of artwork by 'Flemming Whatshisface' called 'Puzzling Timepiece'. One to the left and one to the right of the area exit after the boss fight. If you lightshot (or maybe just shoot) the circular part of each clock they begin to tick, doing a full cycle before stopping. You can also stop them manually by shooting again.

Does anybody know if these are just there for looks, or if they actually do anything?
My guess is it's a simple puzzle with a red gem reward. I have a feeling that there are a tonne of slightly hidden minor environmental puzzles thrown into the game making a full upgrade run-through possible.

I mean, it would be possible to grind the shit out of the swamps area early in the game for white gems, but that's really the only location to do it.

So I think there are ways to get red gems aside from finding them through simple exploration and barrel breaking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
soultron said:
My guess is it's a simple puzzle with a red gem reward. I have a feeling that there are a tonne of slightly hidden minor environmental puzzles thrown into the game making a full upgrade run-through possible.

I mean, it would be possible to grind the shit out of the swamps area early in the game for white gems, but that's really the only location to do it.

So I think there are ways to get red gems aside from finding them through simple exploration and barrel breaking.

You can buy them later. There's 38(IIRC) to find and you buy the rest, there's EXACTLY 80 gems, so if you miss a single gem you can't max out.

mujun

Kintaro said:
I think I'll give this a rent. Watched the GT review and the game looks and sounds like oven roasted shit.

I felt exactly the same way. Humor seems lame as fuck for one. I have no means to rent it so I think I'll wait till it's really cheap.

EatChildren said:
That part was so funny.

Yeah I loved that part, also I laughed with him.

Anyways to all the people with the preorder soundtrack:

I need the name of the song that plays after you defeat the first grim reaper sister. It's really ominous (yeah not helping considering the entire soundtrack fits this description) and synthy. All I can say is that it plays after you defeat the first grim sister boss.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW at the music. Just wow.

edit: will wait for Narayan's impressions before deciding whether to purchase or not. That man's got taste.

EatChildren

Discotheque said:
I need the name of the song that plays after you defeat the first grim reaper sister. It's really ominous (yeah not helping considering the entire soundtrack fits this description) and synthy. All I can say is that it plays after you defeat the first grim sister boss.

Im pretty sure its 'Smile for a Broken Dawn'. You can hear it here.

EatChildren

Act 4 is done and dusted. I thought the
2D shooter stages
were a bit overdone by the end, but I still enjoyed them. They weren't exactly 'good' but they were pretty easy and quite stylish, so I enjoyed them for that factor.

Outside of the above I thought Act 4 was friggen brilliant. The
villiage sequence
seemed like a strong homage to
Resident Evil 4
. I also really enjoyed
the library

I do love how even this far into the game I'm still being introduced to new enemies. It really does have that Mikami quality where there's something new and interesting around the next corner.

Dascu

Regarding Act 4, I'm surprised and disappointed that they didn't
use on-foot Contra-style gameplay instead. Seems much more natural than clumsily flying around at a snail's pace.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dascu said:
Regarding Act 4, I'm surprised and disappointed that they didn't
use on-foot Contra-style gameplay instead. Seems much more natural than clumsily flying around at a snail's pace.

It seemed perfectly geared towards that to me as well.

Also, the Dentist is an insanely good weapon. That + god roll makes the game pretty damn easy though, and I've been playing on hard.

soultron

Banned
Papercuts said:
It seemed perfectly geared towards that to me as well.

Also, the Dentist is an insanely good weapon. That + god roll makes the game pretty damn easy though, and I've been playing on hard.
The Dentist makes quick work of anything in the game, really.

I still stuck to the Hot Boner a lot of the time.

Heh. Hot Boner.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
Let them go. Who cares about someone whose opinion is COMPLETELY swayed by one review?
I don't see what's so bad about an opinion being changed by seeing seven minutes of a game when your whole exposure has been short trailers produced to make the game look it's very best. I didn't know the game was filled with horrifically bad jokes till I saw the review, I don't care for bad jokes generally. It was also my first chance at seeing any of the game structure, and it seemed very lackluster.

damn that's nice

360?
tearing?
wut?

Got to chapter 4-3 on Hard. Gonna go through on easy when I'm done to get 1000/1000

also taste my big boner

also tits

edit: hur dur suda 51 making jokes about boners

soultron said:
Heh. Hot Boner.

splort

edit2: taste my big boner

EatChildren

Maybe it would have been completely unnecessary, but I think there was a missed opportunity to reference a character from No More Heroes or Killer7. You are in the underworld after all, so it would have been cool to find the tomb stone of an ex-assassin.

damn that's nice

there's no direct references but garcia is definitely a combination of travis and dan smith from killer 7. in fact that purple jacket is in no more heroes 2

the regular demons look like deathsmiles

also paula looks like catherine from the videogame catherine to me

Top Bottom