• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Dascu said:
Regarding Act 4, I'm surprised and disappointed that they didn't
use on-foot Contra-style gameplay instead. Seems much more natural than clumsily flying around at a snail's pace.
What's crazy is that song use in those segments are not in the OST, unless is from another game or licensed music. Because that's my favorite song, next to the loading screen(Not in the OST as well)

Dascu

EatChildren said:
Maybe it would have been completely unnecessary, but I think there was a missed opportunity to reference a character from No More Heroes or Killer7. You are in the underworld after all, so it would have been cool to find the tomb stone of an ex-assassin.
We could've finally seen Dr. Peace on the other side.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if Fleming's design is supposed to be a reference? He looks odd and "random". Why does he have 6 eyes?

damn that's nice said:
the merchant's music <3
Yup, also the little bug thing you have to shoot, so he could light up and guide you through the dark. That song fucking rocks! There's others as well too, like the string arrangements.

soultron

Banned
Dascu said:
We could've finally seen Dr. Peace on the other side.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if Fleming's design is supposed to be a reference? He looks odd and "random". Why does he have 6 eyes?
Fleming would be right at home in the Berserk manga universe, if you ask me.

EDIT: Just wanted to chime in and say NaughtyCalibre's video review is pretty spot-on. Great game if you're a huge fan of Suda/Mikami/Yamaoka, but strictly a rent if you're only curious about the title.

Volcynika

Amusing tweet from Grasshopper's English Twitter acct:

Grasshopper_EN Grasshopper
Don't know yet. Akira did over 200 tracks for #SOTD! “@Swankly: @Grasshopper_EN Greatest news ever. :) How many CDs you expecting it to be?”

OST is coming in August, digital and retail according to an earlier tweet. Sorry if oldz.

soultron

Banned
Volcynika said:

OST is coming in August, digital and retail according to an earlier tweet. Sorry if oldz.
Will buy. ST is my favourite part of the game.

Ridley327

Volcynika said:

I'll buy it at a high... oh wait, too obvious.

But still, totally bought; it will go nicely next to my Killer7 and NMH OSTs.

soultron

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I'll buy it at a high... oh wait, too obvious.

But still, totally bought; it will go nicely next to my Killer7 and NMH OSTs.
Somebody let me know if I have to fuck a horse to get the OST.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
~Kinggi~ said:
Seems odd as the footage i have seen of the ps3 version was basically constant tearing and the footage i have seen of the 360 has had very little tearing.
Take a look at the Gametrailers review. It's all PS3 footage and it looks smoother than most of the older footage. It looks a lot like the 360 version I've been playing, which has tearing and slowdown, but not in huge doses.

August?! This soundtrack and No More Heroes Paradise PS3 on my birthday month. Somebody be a good sport and gift me a copy of the digital soundtrack when it's out :)

soultron

Banned
dark10x said:
Take a look at the Gametrailers review. It's all PS3 footage and it looks smoother than most of the older footage. It looks a lot like the 360 version I've been playing, which has tearing and slowdown, but not in huge doses.
This. It's basically a choice of which controller you want and where you feel you'd like the achievements/trophies.

I noticed a small bit of tearing on 360 and some occasional (limited to cinematics) slowdown.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark10x said:

Also, as I said earlier, the PS3 version actually seems to have all the effects the 360 version has, godrays being the most notable example as they were ripped from Bulletstorm.

The only really noteworthy flaw (and it is noteworthy) is the texture pop-in.

I don't feel as if I should say this on GAF because everyone freaks out about it but...I don't actually know what screen tearing is, nor do I think I've ever noticed it.

soultron

Banned
EatChildren said:
Also, as I said earlier, the PS3 version actually seems to have all the effects the 360 version has, godrays being the most notable example as they were ripped from Bulletstorm.

I didn't really have too bad of a problem with the texture streaming/pop-in on 360. I died once during the chase sequences and had to start over from a check point and noticed it -- once.

Don't know how it is on PS3 though.

Also, the godrays are beautiful. They look really neat when you stand in front of a darkness boundary and switch Johnson around to different weapons. If you get the camera angle just right, you can make the flame on Johnson cast rays the colour of your weapon flame. It's a nice touch I enjoyed wayyyyyyyy too much.

ToyMachine228 said:
I don't feel as if I should say this on GAF because everyone freaks out about it but...I don't actually know what screen tearing is, nor do I think I've ever noticed it.

Example:
5-3_jpg_650x10000_q85.jpg

Volcynika

ToyMachine228 said:

I know what it is, but I can never see it personally.

StuBurns

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
It's the only visual thing that irritates me, I don't want to make it seem like I'm a graphics whore or anything, I don't care if things are sub-HD or have no AA or have bad texture filtering etc. But screen tear is horrible.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Screen tear is fucking annoying, but I really haven't it noticed it in this game beyond some of the opening parts(360) so it's weird to here it's apparently awful. For comparison a game I did find to have awful tearing was Darksiders on the 360.

soultron

Banned
Papercuts said:
Screen tear is fucking annoying, but I really haven't it noticed it in this game beyond some of the opening parts(360) so it's weird to here it's apparently awful. For comparison a game I did find to have awful tearing was Darksiders on the 360.
I didn't really notice much at all. The only times it was actually noticeable was in brightly lit areas. Since the game is inherently dark (Thanks, Hell!) what might've been a major problem is thankfully downplayed.

Papercuts

soultron said:
I didn't really notice much at all. The only times it was actually noticeable was in brightly lit areas. Since the game is inherently dark (Thanks, Hell!) what might've been a major problem is thankfully downplayed.

Yeah, I think the visuals are hiding it if it's happening a lot. I've only noticed tears at the top of the screen, which is never a place to be looking either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Welp, I've decided there's one gameplay mechanism I actively dislike.
The instant kill chase sequences. The first couple are tense and quite alright, but they seriously outstay their welcome, and one particular encounter in Act 5 is complete horseshit. The controls are waaay too clunky, and her range of attack is waaay to wide, to make this a welcome gameplay component in close quarters. It really doesnt work at all.

EatChildren said:
Welp, I've decided there's one gameplay mechanism I actively dislike.
The instant kill chase sequences. It really doesnt work at all.
Did you know...
you can use the light shot on her? Makes that encounter a billion times easier.
mameshiba-5-edamame.jpg

What causes the slow motion sequences when you shoot a standard enemy in the head? I've done it a few times but I haven't really been sure how.

Also, the blood spatter from enemies in this game reminds me of Killer 7. Almost makes me want to replay it.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I think the visuals are hiding it if it's happening a lot. I've only noticed tears at the top of the screen, which is never a place to be looking either.
i'd like for someone else to confirm setting the 360 to 720p makes a big difference for them tearing wise.

it's always the first thing i try when a game gets really teary as on more than one occasion before it's helped for me. doesn't always help, but i was getting almost constant tearing until i changed the resolution.

RE5 had really bad tearing in 1080p and little to none in 720p for example.

i've no idea why scaling up to 1080p causes tearing sometimes though.

EatChildren

meltingparappa said:
Did you know...
you can use the light shot on her? Makes that encounter a billion times easier.

Well, the more you know! Just got past it. Was having a bit of a nerd rage moment :p.

ToyMachine228 said:
What causes the slow motion sequences when you shoot a standard enemy in the head? I've done it a few times but I haven't really been sure how.

Do you mean the bullet zoom? You have to land a headshot as your first shot on the enemy. If you've hit them anywhere else first, headshots will still instant kill but wont zoom.

Trevelyon

EatChildren said:

Caught two very brief instances of texture load in, like 'oh, that barrel isn't looking so hot.. ah, there we go' and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for it. Just hit Act 4.

Doesn't appear to be that much of an issue, certainly no LA Noire experience.

Curufinwe

areal said:

Who is the woman in that picture?

plagiarize said:
i'd like for someone else to confirm setting the 360 to 720p makes a big difference for them tearing wise.

I will try it tonight and let you know. I should probably have my 360 set to 720p all the time; I don't think I own any 360 games that run in 1080p.

Grisby

Rented and started playing last night. Got a ways in.

Pretty fun but the music absolutely overshadows everything else. Crazy.

Papercuts

EatChildren said:
Do you mean the bullet zoom? You have to land a headshot as your first shot on the enemy. If you've hit them anywhere else first, headshots will still instant kill but wont zoom.

You actually need to get a headshot first, you can hit the body for this one, but if you get the kill with the head popping, you can then get the bullet time headshot if you don't hit the body. You can miss as much as you want, but shooting a light shot gets rid of it. So for the 5 headshot achievement you technically need 6, but 5 slow-mo--a good tip is use the GOD ROLL into dark enemies, it's so godly that it actually removes their dark covering and lets you keep a headshot streak going.

sleepykyo said:
Kojima just brings her everywhere, doesn't he? Wonder if the wife ribs him about it.
To be fair, I think that photo is from the voice recording pickups they're doing for Peacewalker's 360 version (presumably new lines to say "B button" instead of "circle button").

The longer Suda stays buddies with Kojima the greater the chances of Sudanatcher actually happening.

EatChildren

Kojima and Kikuchi are doing it. With his wife. Like a boss.

Angry Fork

Is the massive amount of bloom in the background hard on the eyes? All the video's i've seen make the game look so blurry. Is it better when you're playing it? I've mainly only been interested in this game for Akira's OST but people are saying the game is great on here too so now I want to try it out.

EatChildren said:

I hate to get into this tech stuff more, but I'm just confused about what people are saying, So, is it: PS3 version has no tearing, but has texture pop in; 360 has tearing, but no texture pop in. Or is it that PS3 is the 360 version, tearing and all, but with additional pop in?

If there is decent parity, I might just go for the PS3 version. Kinda wish the EA connection would have meant a PC version, though.

and to be honest, the EA connection makes me think "$40 in a week" like Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, and most recent EA games. That's pretty much why I haven't bought it yet to sit in the backlog (while I play OoT first).

Top Bottom