• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ohhh man, when that demon 'shushed' me and Sushi With A Dick sauntered around the corner I almost lost it. This game is already a classic. Couldn't have lived up to my expectations more.

Who ya gonna call? Chris-toffer! Bada da da na na

I'd say Better than RE5, not as good as RE4, no?

Montresor

John Harker said:
Ohhh man, when that demon 'shushed' me and Sushi With A Dick sauntered around the corner I almost lost it. This game is already a classic. Couldn't have lived up to my expectations more.

I love that part, hahaha. My brother and I watched each other play almost the entire game and we were always laughing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would definitely like the game a lot more if I was trading off with my roommate. Not that I don't love it, but I would probably be able to play for longer stretches if I were.

Nemesis_

Fuck me, Maras Grimm is so ridiculously intense in Legion Hunter mode. First real "challenge" I've encountered in all my playthroughs for sure.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just finished Act 4. I actually like it on the whole. 4-1 kinda sucked, but the rest was cool. I must be one of the few people that liked the
2D sections

The darkness stuff and the enemies bursting through shit sometimes freaks me out, so those sections are calming and relaxing for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tokubetsu said:
Are we still getting a full soundtrack release before summer's out?

Last word was that the album is on track for August.

If anyones had any issues with findng all the red gems let me know because its been a serious pain in the balls. First of all I completed my first playthrough on Legion, followed by my 2nd on normal. I used the only guide avaialble on PS3trophies.org but it seems it left out a few locations and claimed a couple were found in some areas where they indeed were not present.

So I start my third playthrough on Easy, this time using the only guide on GameFaqs that also gives you locations of game bugs that can be used to duplicate certain red gems in a few areas. (This is key). However, the guide states that on Lemon difficulty as long as you dont spend any white gems on drinks or ammo you wont have to farm demons and use the duplication glitch...which is what I did.

I get to Christopehers final spot in 5-2 (Moor Pu Dekup) and realize I dont have enough white diamonds to buy the rest of the red so I start a new game at 715pm last night.

This time i start again Lemon, farm baddies in two spots for an extra 200 whites and duplicate the red gems whenever possible. I didnt want to cheat, but fuck it, I love the game and I want the platinum.

Now I reach 4-3 and I have 999 whites. I havent shopped at Christophers yet. Of course, I had no idea the whites stop collecting at 999 since I had never gathered that many, so I went through the entire stage of 4-3 gathering zero whites because I had no idea they wouldnt continue accumulating. At 115am I reach the final Christopher location, duplicating and farming and all....and im short three fucking reds gems.

5th playthrough tonight. If anyones got any pointers let me know. I know to aim for the knees and stomp on the demons for added whites. I know to unload everything on Christopher before 4-1 and to farm and duplicate as usual. Hopefully it will work. I just cant get over how broken some parts of this game are. It didnt need to be rushed, as there arent lines out the door for Japanese third person shooters. A few more months of polish couldve helped immensley.

thetrin

StuBurns said:
Finished it, it's good, not great. It could have been a whole lot better without all the gimmick shit.

The only part I could do without is the Hot Boner section. Also, less cheap spawns on the
2D sections

EDIT: Also, Sushi Lamps make the best noises.

Tokubetsu

JumpingTheGun said:
If anyones had any issues with findng all the red gems let me know because its been a serious pain in the balls. First of all I completed my first playthrough on Legion, followed by my 2nd on normal. I used the only guide avaialble on PS3trophies.org but it seems it left out a few locations and claimed a couple were found in some areas where they indeed were not present.

So I start my third playthrough on Easy, this time using the only guide on GameFaqs that also gives you locations of game bugs that can be used to duplicate certain red gems in a few areas. (This is key). However, the guide states that on Lemon difficulty as long as you dont spend any white gems on drinks or ammo you wont have to farm demons and use the duplication glitch...which is what I did.

I get to Christopehers final spot in 5-2 (Moor Pu Dekup) and realize I dont have enough white diamonds to buy the rest of the red so I start a new game at 715pm last night.

This time i start again Lemon, farm baddies in two spots for an extra 200 whites and duplicate the red gems whenever possible. I didnt want to cheat, but fuck it, I love the game and I want the platinum.

Now I reach 4-3 and I have 999 whites. I havent shopped at Christophers yet. Of course, I had no idea the whites stop collecting at 999 since I had never gathered that many, so I went through the entire stage of 4-3 gathering zero whites because I had no idea they wouldnt continue accumulating. At 115am I reach the final Christopher location, duplicating and farming and all....and im short three fucking reds gems.

5th playthrough tonight. If anyones got any pointers let me know. I know to aim for the knees and stomp on the demons for added whites. I know to unload everything on Christopher before 4-1 and to farm and duplicate as usual. Hopefully it will work. I just cant get over how broken some parts of this game are. It didnt need to be rushed, as there arent lines out the door for Japanese third person shooters. A few more months of polish couldve helped immensley.

Haha jesus christ dude.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
JumpingTheGun said:

I don't understand how you can be having so much trouble. I had more red gems than I could use before I even got to the 5th act and I only farmed like 500 white gems.

This is the red gem guide I used: http://segmentnext.com/2011/06/22/shadows-of-the-damned-red-gems-locations-guide/

I remember I only found 1 gem that wasn't listed in the guide, but I forgot where it was and I had more than enough anyway.

Use the gem glitch in chapter 4-5. You can use it like 3 or 4 times in this section if you understand how it works. You have to be able to backtrack to the location of the gem once you hit a new save spot. Once the game saves exit to the menu and backtrack to the location of the last gem you collected and you'll be able to get it again. Also 5-1 when
the large electrical enemy comes out of the cage
there is an opportunity to use the glitch.

4-5 and 5-1 are the only places I used the glitch, and I didn't farm that many white gems, so I'm not sure what the problem is unless you are just missing some of the hidden gems. As long as you are playing on lemon hunter and the red gems only cost 45 white gems, it shouldn't be that hard.

there you go. you farmed over 500 whiteys. i only farmed about 200 or so. maybe a little less and i STILL came up short.

ill do it tonight. i have a plan XD

edgefusion

Just completed it and what a ride! Loved (almost) every second of it, surprised to see some of the hate for the 2D levels which I loved and not at all surprised to see the hate for the big boner sections which were awful. The way Garcia holds that big boner though... phew, I'll be having dreams tonight! Gonna give it another run through on Legion, did anyone else find it absurdly easy on Demon? For some reason I was expecting a pretty challenging experience but it was a cake-walk. I guess after that I'll clear up leftover trophies on Lemon (Shoot a demon in the head while he falls down, ugh) seeing how the difficulty trophies don't stack.

I have two main disappointments with SOTD:
- Johnson turns into a sick looking motorbike at the start but for the rest of the game he's just a torch and some guns. Missed opportunity right there.
- No replayability. It would of been great to get some alternate costumes (Shirtless Garcia, yes please!) or something. Even a new game+, which I'm honestly surprised isn't included.

glad you liked it. im one of the haters of the 2D levels. I think they really broke up the pacing of the game. Everything just slows to a crawl with those levels. They shouldve either changed them to a 2D Contra-style shooter, or even a couple highway chase scenes or on-bike shootouts, kinda similar to that one mission with Big Smoke in GTA: San Andreas utilizing the Johnson cycle that you only see for a split second..

StuBurns

Banned
thetrin said:
The only part I could do without is the Hot Boner section. Also, less cheap spawns on the
2D sections

EDIT: Also, Sushi Lamps make the best noises.
I can understand that. I know a lot of people like the more bizarre elements of games, the 'do it for doing it's sake' type stuff, but I think it weakened the game immensely.

In a way it's a positive of the game that I liked it's core design so much the times they moved away from that were a great source of irritation.

All the
2D sections, and instances of her chasing you
irritated me. I loved the 'bowling' thing, but then they repeated it again in a much less charming style. The Big Boner section was by far the weakest, although the darkness sections between those were really great.

For me it's a case of addition by subtraction. A clean removal of those things, although it would shorten the game even further, would have ultimately been beneficial to the greater experience.

The studio seem to have been hesitant to address their mechanical shortcomings so far, but this game is a clear indication they can produce a great game, for me this isn't it, but it has the foundations to have been. Which is in of itself pretty exciting. I can't wait to see what they do next.

kliklik

Banned
One of the red gems people might be missing is at the beginning of 3-1. There is a gate on the right side that leads to a small clearing with Christopher. To Christopher's LEFT at the very back of the little clearing is a red gem. It's tricksy!

Solune

Tokubetsu said:
Shirtless Garcia would have actually been pretty cool. They did something like that in DMC3 didn't they?
Yes, you can select Shirtless Dante identical to Mission 1 after you've beaten the game.

John Harker

I think once you realize you can set the shooting mechanics in the 2D section to "normal", it becomes much much better.

Note: I play Inverted (as any real gamer does) throughout the game, and didn't realize it, but that actually REVERSES the shooting controls during the 2D parts. Had no idea. I just thought it was designed that way. So for the 2nd 2D section, I figured it out, switched it back to Normal, and it was a breeze.

I actually enjoyed it. You die a few times, but the music and artstyle are way too good for me to hate on it.

Solune

StuBurns said:
Do you still get the cutscene when they make fun of your purple jacket?
lol sorry you can't get Shirtless Garcia as far as I know, I was responding to the Shirtless Dante. And I forgot the which chapter is that joke in? I'm on 5-2 and haven't beaten the game yet. Should finish it up tonight though.

kliklik

Banned
I just finished the 3 turret sections. Hey, that wasn't so bad. I even did the last one without dying at all. First time took me 3-4 tries and second took me 2. By the last one, I had figured it out I guess =P

Also, the transitions between them were pretty trippy.

StuBurns

Banned
Solune said:
lol sorry you can't get Shirtless Garcia as far as I know, I was responding to the Shirtless Dante. And I forgot the which chapter is that joke in? I'm on 5-2 and haven't beaten the game yet. Should finish it up tonight though.
Not sure why I thought otherwise, you clearly wrote Dante. Selective reading I guess. No idea where the purple jacket gag is, earlier than where you are though.

kliklik

Banned
StuBurns said:
Not sure why I thought otherwise, you clearly wrote Dante. Selective reading I guess. No idea where the purple jacket gag is, earlier than where you are though.

The gag is in chapter 2 iirc when you're in the graveyard.

I really hate the 2d levels. They are lame, boring, abundant, and just not fun to play. They are really dragging the game down and kind of making me hate it.

It just feels cheap, there's potential to have some real variety in the levels, but a few parts are replaced with this crappy 2d shit and what could have been a really cool looking level is a very lame turret section.

ToyMachine228 said:
Shadows of the Damned shits all over RE5.
No. And the reason is because RE5 stays true to it's gameplay and doesn't take you out of it. Plus that game takes you to different locals so the game doesn't start to look so boring.

kliklik said:
What? Why is that a real gamer thing?
it's an old gamer thing for many of us. in the days before FPSs had mouse look, the only games that really had you looking around 3D space were flight simulators. whether you were playing on a stick or on a mouse, you pushed 'up' to dive (technically, our brains thought it was pushing forwards so having that look down is perfectly logical).

as such, when FPS started having you look up and down, a bunch of us were thinking that we were pushing our mice forwards, and as a result, that forwards should look down.

so, we've never really given up on that way of thinking, although i just found out that the slide pad on the 3DS makes me think i'm pushing UP (in ways that mice and thumbsticks don't), and as a result i don't play Mercs inverted. which is weird, but there you go.

ToyMachine228 said:
Shadows of the Damned shits all over RE5.

Agreed. The only problems I had with this one were the other two 2d levels (the first one was a fun change of pace) and also the paradise level not being explorable.

RE5 had a lot more problems for me (particularly that shitty forced coop ai)

Fjordson

This game is fun as hell. In the middle of act 4 right now and I love it.

So much crazy shit happening. Lmao @ the
big boner sequence and I'm now in the 2D side scrolling level. It looks fantastic.

Also, does anyone know if full versions of the loading screen music exist? There are two sort of jazzy songs that sound awesome.

Discotheque said:
RE5 had a lot more problems for me (particularly that shitty forced coop ai)

RE5 was just flat. Boring. Generic. Nothing interesting about it outside of amazing graphics. Shadows of the Damned is like the complete opposite. As many have said, Shadows has it's flaws, but it is definitely more interesting and more enjoyable than RE5. As far as games that walk the action/horror line go.

kliklik

Banned
I finished the game yesterday. Wow, amazing. The ending spoilers:
I tried to use my drinks in the darkness at the end but you couldn't =(

plagiarize said:
it's an old gamer thing for many of us. in the days before FPSs had mouse look, the only games that really had you looking around 3D space were flight simulators.

I know that vertical inversion comes from flight sims. But I never understood horizontal inversion. I don't remember that ever being the case in PC games from the 90s, which is as far back as I go. I think Psychonauts had inverted horizontal as the default and that was wacky, but it could be changed.

EatChildren said:
I believe he was 'officially' bought on to oversee the combat, but stated in an interview it developed into a larger role where he was having input on all sorts of things.

StuBurns said:
Didn't he say he'd stop by the studio about once a month? Presumably it was mostly to consult on the tactile aspects, it feels like a bizzaro world RE4 certainly.

Any idea where you possibly saw this?

John Harker said:

I'd be less inclined to trade in RE5 if it came between a battle of the two of them but that's simply because of the amount of content that game has.

I'm glad for the input that games like SoD and Dead Space 2 provide the RE6 team. DS has shown to do SH with a more open ended control scheme, and SoD has shown off how an easy evade system with move and shoot mechanics would work.

John Harker

plagiarize said:
it's an old gamer thing for many of us. in the days before FPSs had mouse look, the only games that really had you looking around 3D space were flight simulators. whether you were playing on a stick or on a mouse, you pushed 'up' to dive (technically, our brains thought it was pushing forwards so having that look down is perfectly logical).

as such, when FPS started having you look up and down, a bunch of us were thinking that we were pushing our mice forwards, and as a result, that forwards should look down.

so, we've never really given up on that way of thinking, although i just found out that the slide pad on the 3DS makes me think i'm pushing UP (in ways that mice and thumbsticks don't), and as a result i don't play Mercs inverted. which is weird, but there you go.

ding ding.

I blame Halo, first main-stream, mass market shooter started calling the default setting "Normal" - and forcing us to go into the menu and change it to "Inverted." Pah.

edit:
and I started the RE5 debate 'cause I was tired of comparing the game against NMH and K7. RE 4/5 is fitter in my opinion, if you NEED to make a comparison, and while I think RE4 is the pinnacle, SotD is certainly more unique, interesting, and simply more fun to play than RE5 was.

Dark FaZe said:
I'd be less inclined to trade in RE5 if it came between a battle of the two of them but that's simply because of the amount of content that game has.

I'm glad for the input that games like SoD and Dead Space 2 provide the RE6 team. DS has shown to do SH with a more open ended control scheme, and SoD has shown off how an easy evade system with move and shoot mechanics would work.

re5 feels like a beached whale compared to sotd

Well I guess we should compare SoTD to RE5. Well obviously RE5 has a negative reputation and the game kind of deserves it. I mean I think RE5 is a very creativly bankrupt game, it's like Capcom had no idea what to do with it. "Just add co-op!". The game hardly does anything interesting with it's co-op and is hardly creative in any of it's enmies or areas. In the end they can't think of any enemies so they add dudes with guns. But the thing is I still enjoyed the game and I have never played it co-op. The game still has solid gameplay and the stupid AI never really ruins the game. I've played it about 4 times for some reason.

I just finished SoTD and I kind of enjoyed the game, but just like RE5 the game kind of brings itself down at the end. In RE5 it was because of enemies with guns and adding a "cover system" or whatever that was as a way to add some variety. SoTD does the same though. I hate the 2d levels, I hate them so much. Stylistically they are very cool looking, but they suck. Now I'm not a gamer from the 2d days. My first system was the N64 so outside of rpgs, no I don't play 2d games. Now I guess I should have expected them as NMH has things like these, but I hated them there to. In SoTD though I find them suck because they have enemies who just pop out of nowhere and are just not fun to play. It sucks that a potential cool encounter is used here. Very disappointing. While obviously this attempt at variety were creative unlike RE5's, I found it annoying. RE5's attempt at variety weren't that annoying. I ignored it's cover shit and while enemies having guns did not at all fit with the gameplay and were awkward as hell, the RE5 gameplay overcame it as hell I just gotta make my aim better and kick their ass. Still it's turret sections were typical and not stupid, unlike SoTDs. It wasn't hard and it was easy to earn head shots. Still it still kind of sucks. I died a few times, because who the hell makes it a 1 hit kill thing? Still what I hated is that it took place in cool level that we never got to really go through.

RE5's level a pretty bland and boring. They aren't exciting, hardly creepy, and could exist in any other game. You can't say that about SoTD. It's got a very interesting look to it. I don't know how I would describe it. "Crazy Japanese Mexican Hell". Everything about it's look is quite different and memorable. I remember people complaining about the use of Unreal and how it didn't look as crazy as they thought a Suda game would when the game was revealed. I'll say they were wrong though. I would say Unreal was fine in creating this dark and musty looking hell. I'm impressed by the overall consistent art design, but I think the levels in the middle are very boring and look samey, I swear I saw the same cabin and tunnels like 50 times. Even if I didn't, it just seemed like the middle areas weren't as interesting as the beginning of the game. RE5 did not have this problem. It's pace was fine and I don't think it kept you in the same area longer then it should. Like I said the one area that looked really cool wasn't actually a level. But at least the game kept a good enemy variety.

I think SoTD is really good at enemy variety. It keeps introducing different enemies that are actually very cool for the most part. So I think that's a great strength of the game. It's a very solid shooter honestly. Which is why I didn't want anything taking away from it. RE5 was also a solid shooter though but for some reason I think it's encounters were a bit more dynamic and tense. I'll have to replay RE5 to really give a good reason as to why though. I'm really unsure of what I think about SoTD honestly. Like I said the gameplay is good. What I like about RE4 is how tense the game is. The game is all about the pressure of the encounters as you try to make your shots count while all this crap is going on. For this SoTD has a pretty awesome Light/Darkness mechanic that really piles on the pressure as you try to handle the enemies. It's a great addition, but I think at some parts it gets annoying. Now I can't lock down a specific point or example of where it did happen. Now maybe I'm just a crappy gamer IDK. I think that when the Darkness overcame a player, those Darkness shield regain thingy either should have spawned or dropped off enemies killed, but that may have killed some of the urgency they have. Urgency is pretty important in these games though. I mean what makes RE4 great is the urgency you get from these enemies attacking you. It's why I don't mind the "weak point" mechanic as it does add urgency "your like shit this things coming, fuck better hurry and shoot this point". SoTD really excels at these things and so honestly the gameplay is great. I just can't pinpoint why I'm not as hot as a lot of gaffers here are. The gameplay is solid very solid. I would say maybe some bossess last too long.

SoTD has a lot of personalty though and I think that's what most Suda fans are looking for. I will say the story isn't as crazy or interesting as his past games. It's very simple, so that may disappoint some. Garcia is a fun character and honestly the perfect character for this type of game. Corny and bad ass, just like Leon. Compare to RE5, where it was in love with it's seriousness and it infected everything even the music. It just has a very fun atmosphere during the entire game, which is strange considering it takes place in hell.

I think it's a solid game, but I just kind of hated some of it's side stuff. They aren't bad probably for most gamers so I think this game should really be recommended to most.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant compare RE5 to SotD, because I loathed RE5. A lot of it is likely due to coming off the phenominal RE4, but RE5 to me was a souless treck through (as Rahxephon91 stated) creative bankruptcy, ripe with backwards game design. I fucking hated it.

Nemesis_

9Q1um.png

I think I'm finally done with the game. I really appreciated the combat and the weapons as I played in harder difficulties, though. They all seem pretty great and some of them work better at certain enemies than others, and it was fun discovering this during legion hunter mode.

Overall, the game is pretty fun and I have no major complaints, there was ONE major complaint and it was concerned with Act 4. I'm sure MANY of you would agree with me.

1.) The Big Boner segment was wayyyyy overdone. Doing it twice would've been enough.
2.) The "un-orthodox" segments of this chapter were really disappointing too. A cool idea, but too many of them in one allotment made it pretty horrible.
3.) The boss battle against
Justine
was an incredible disappointment. Did they run out of money? Why would they send out a character with so much potential just like that?

Anyway, loved the game, I kind of hope we see these characters (or at least Johnson, Paula in particular was really annoying) in some form in the future. No More Heroes was not that succesful, was it? It still got a sequel, right?

Also I hate Paula, but her lips were so good. I think they may be the best video game lips I've ever seen. IS THAT WEIRD, GAF?

Top Bottom