• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dogmanstaruk said:
Well it is Nolan North! :)

I thought it was too, but its actually Greg Ellis.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Legend of Stinky Crow is pretty much the highlight of the game for me. Garcia's reading is comedy brilliance.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This Big Boner turret shit is terrible. I'm on the third one. Does this shit end soon?

thetrin

Seriously, have these guys never played a turret section in a game in their lives? This shit is horrid.

(the rest of the game is great)

EDIT: FInsihed the third one. I guess you just have to get headshots on ALL of them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Come on, its not hard to get headshots. They all line up pretty nicely.

thetrin

EatChildren said:
No it's not, but the turret section is terribly unfun.

kliklik

Banned
Wow this game is fun. Does anyone know if you get better loot drops if you headshot em or get that cinematic zoomy headshot?

Just finished my first play through. Liked the ending. A few media outlets have mentioned that this could be "just the beginning" of Garcia Hotspur's adventures but the way EA has marketed the game I doubt we'll see a sequel. And I'm all right with that. I definitely enjoyed it and I'll be playing through again.

Dizzle24

kliklik said:
Wow this game is fun. Does anyone know if you get better loot drops if you headshot em or get that cinematic zoomy headshot?

Shoot off a leg, then stomp them to death to get more gems, G.

Also, finished my 2nd play through and still I am missing 10 fucking Red Gems. Seriously, I don't want to use a guide...

Ridley327

Dizzle24 said:

Also, finished my 2nd play through and still I am missing 10 fucking Red Gems. Seriously, I don't want to use a guide...
You don't need to find all of the gems in the environment to get them all; it's just a lot cheaper.

Okay I take it back. SOTD is at least on equal footing with No More Heroes.

thetrin said:
This Big Boner turret shit is terrible. I'm on the third one. Does this shit end soon?

Worst part of the game. And yes, thats the last one.

EatChildren said:

i started the game yesterday and atleast on hard the basic zombies sway a lot making it pretty tricky to line up several headshots in a row. reminds me a lot of RE4...

zoner said:
you're so wrong it's not even funny

it's at least debatable that they are on even footing. NMH has a lot more style that this, and style goes a long way for me.

Discotheque said:
Eh not really, stylistically it's better. But I'm enjoying the gameplay more here, and there are some really cool looking levels from time to time.

Yeah exactly. I posted my distaste for the game after the Big Johnson/shooting stage one two, after having a ton of game killing bugs on the bird boss, so it was a little rash of me. Something about hearing that bird scream "fuck you" over and over totally killed any enthusiasm I had for the writing.

No More Heroes combat still feels great, better than I remembered it. I booted it up the other day. And there's a style and humor in NMH that SOTD doesn't come close to. When Travis grasps his poster and cries "moe!," its classic. But the closest thing in SOTD is when Garcia says he found the directions to hell on the internet. The line about fucking the horse is pretty great though.

Urban Scholar said:
This game received no real marketing from what I could see at work. Maybe one poster? I see EA did a hell of a job promoting this to the public.

can you really blame them though? I mean, in their eyes, they have this buggy, unpolished, obscene, and weird (in not good ways) game. It's very short. And from what you hear, Grasshopper had been consistently missing deadlines with it. How would they know it was going to be great?

eXistor

I'm now on my third playthough. That fact alone should tell you I love this game as I don't ever do that kind of stuff except for Zelda's. That said they could have made this game so much better with minimal effort. I think everything's been said already, but here goes:

The game is too easy. I played my first game on Hard and went through it without a hitch (only the
third Grim Sister
gave me some grief, but when you know what weapon to use it's a sinch). Hard should have been normal.

No New Game +. It's basically impossible to upgrade everything in one playthrough, especially on normal or hard. A NG+ would be a very welcome addition. There's very little incentive to play the game on Satanic Hell this way. I know I want the game to be harder, but I do want to have fun with the game. Resetting all your stats to 0 is not my idea of fun. I know achievements are frowned upon on GAF, but I like them and forcing someone like me to play the game 3 times on all difficulties is just silly, especially if you already started on hard.

Unskippable cutscenes. Not sure why these still exist. I can accept it on a first playthrough, but on repeated playthroughs you should always be able to skip that shit. The first hour is a real chore to replay because it's basically one long tutorial with loads of cutscenes.

This is a game that is Fun with a capital F, why is it that this game has no unlockables or some form of added value? It literally screams for it. They could be simply cheats or just nonsense things like extra costumes or making the sky rainbow colored, giving all the enemies partyhats, replacing sound effects with moans. Something! The game gives you no reward for finishing it.

It's still the most fun I've had this year with any game, so don't think I don't love it, it's just somewhat frustrating that they didn't go the extra mile with this one.

Diamond

thetrin said:
No it's not, but the turret section is terribly unfun.

Loved the music between these sections though (unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on youtube yet). It was kinda funny to feel all nostalgic with all these sex signs everywhere. :D

StuBurns

Banned
I lost my save yesterday when my PS3 broke, but the new one is here, and I've been playing again, only up to 2-4 so far, but I love this game right now. So good.

G.O.O. said:
Hoping I can get Akira Yamaoka to sign my copy this afternoon... fingers crossed.

Yeah in Japan it seems like Suda and Akira are going to a lot of events to promote Shadows of the Damned. Though it probably will sell worse there than it does in America unfortunately.

On my Easy playthrough now (already played on Hard and Normal) and I just arrived in the second section of 5-2 clocking in at 3 1/2 hours. Hopefully Ill be able to score all the red gems and grab my first platinum.

picking up the soundtrack immediatley when it releases.

G.O.O.

G.O.O. said:
Hoping I can get Akira Yamaoka to sign my copy this afternoon... fingers crossed.
http://i.imgur.com/n8rpG.jpg

HÄR HÄR HÄR

Yeah in Japan it seems like Suda and Akira are going to a lot of events to promote Shadows of the Damned. Though it probably will sell worse there than it does in America unfortunately.
Yamaoka and Suda are in France for the Japan Expo now. Well, at least Yamaoka is here for sure :)

54-46!

Just came off my first hour or so with the game, I'm really liking the core gameplay, setting and characters.

I'm kind of bummed out about the unresponsive weapon switch though, maybe I'm not supposed to switch as fast as I do.. but when I light shoot someone with the pistol I want to switch to the shotgun immediately after and kill them off.

Also texture pop-in, I thought we were past this.

thetrin

Diamond_4444 said:
Loved the music between these sections though (unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on youtube yet). It was kinda funny to feel all nostalgic with all these sex signs everywhere. :D

Hahaha, very true. The Legend of Stinky Crow remains the best part of the game, though.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I've got to the shooting range bit. It's enough to guarantee I never replay this game. Looks like it's going to be a trade in once I finish it.

Does the shooting gallery only happen once?

StuBurns

Banned
randomwab said:
Are you talking about the Big Boner? Three times in a row. I know :(

On another note, I've got the credit song that Yamaoka did with The Damned firmly stuck in my head. I need the full soundtrack so bad.
Yeah, the boner, awful. I actually meant does it ever happen again after the three in a row?

The more I go on, the more things irritate me, the running away thing that's happened twice so far is bad too. Still overall good no doubt, but I wish they didn't fall back on gimmicks, the gameplay formula is solid enough to hold six or seven hours I think.

Also, while on that note, how much further is to go for me? I'm on that big boner bit still.

randomwab

StuBurns said:
Also, while on that note, how much further is to go for me? I'm on that big boner bit still.

It never happens after that bit. As for how far to go, you've got about another two or three hours at a random guess.

And you're not done with an overused gimmick yet. I love the game, but it does have some unfun parts that are so polar to the core gameplay which is so good, imo.

My first play through on Demon Hunter took me somewhere between 9 and 10 hours. Sometime relatively soon I'm going to start an achievement run on Lemon Hunter. Then I'll go for the hardest difficulty.

For the 5 consecutive headshots achievement you can't use the Light Shot to stun enemies right? I tried doing that and I didn't get it. I just stunned 5 enemies in a row, and blew their heads off with the Hotboner.

All 3 big boner sections were like 5-6 minutes tops. That and the chase sequence (after the first one) were a bit annoying but nothing game-changing at all.

But yeah the death animation after being caught in a chase (and the resulting music) is pretty funny.

so from what i've heard, it seems every person i know had a problem with one of the final bosses not letting the 3rd part break without either restarting or going through the motion about 20 or more times

has anyone finished on satanic hell yet?

thetrin

Discotheque said:
All 3 big boner sections were like 5-6 minutes tops. That and the chase sequence (after the first one) were a bit annoying but nothing game-changing at all.

But yeah the death animation after being caught in a chase (and the resulting music) is pretty funny.
I'm in Act 4. Please tell me there aren't more of the chase scenes.

kliklik

Banned
Dizzle24 said:

Thank you so much. I'm getting tons of gems now, and I even accidentally got the Puppeteer trophy. I thought that would actually take effort and be most difficult to get.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
thetrin said:
I'm in Act 4. Please tell me there aren't more of the chase scenes.

There's another chase scene, albeit a shorter one. You know to freeze her with Light Shot, right?

thetrin

D2M15 said:
There's another chase scene, albeit a shorter one. You know to freeze her with Light Shot, right?
Yeah, I do. It's still annoying. I also find it a bit annoying that 180 turn is x and not down+x. I have that drilled into me by RE, and dodging backwards into something instead of turning is a bit hard to get used to.

After reading a few of your replies, I think you and I have the same impression of this game.

The game itself is amazing despite various glitches here and there. I wish the game was more polished.

Furthermore, the mini games in this game are more annoying than fun. I had to force myself to play through them everytime; most of them require trial and error, and repetitive.

I am glad I am done with the game. It will be a while before I go back and replay the game for trophies.

thetrin

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Stinky Crow? Like Drinky Crow , maybe?
Haven't gotten there, yet? I won't spoil it.

StuBurns

Banned
The more I play the more disappointed I am. I feel like the game almost sabotages itself. Bayonetta did the same thing last year, that game was close to being basically the best game ever made, but it crammed in distractions and middling filler that brought the game down as a whole.

Grasshopper have always made interesting games, now they've backed that up with good gameplay, but they can't help but weight it down with crap. I feel like they were really close to making something great, I hope they can next time around, and I'm certainly going to be following any announcements they make now.

I haven't finished it yet, I'll probably finish tomorrow, but at this point nothing is going to redeem my issues with the greater design.

thetrin

I'm in the library right now, right after the bookshelf puzzle. How far longer do I have?

Ridley327

thetrin said:
I'm in the library right now, right after the bookshelf puzzle. How far longer do I have?
4-3 is probably the longest chapter in the entire game; I'd say you've got about a third of the game left.

Top Bottom