• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shank |OT| (PC/XBLA/PSN)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DasRaven said:
Lack of online co-op is dampening the hype for this game. The extra costume reveals are only increasing my anticipation. "Horror" Shank FTW.
I don't see why. It's a pretty competent character action game. Almost like a sidescrolling Devil May Cry. It's not like it's a shallow walk in the park that only has value when you play it with another meat bag.

moai

so the coop section is only one mission (i read it was a prequel). rest of the game is single player. is that right?

Hmm love the art and action. Going to have to see how much content is in the game for 15 bucks though. I will also wait for the demo. Money is kinda tight :(

denomes said:
I assume so. Strikes me as a sneak peek at future DLC or a full-blown co-op sequel.
Makes sense to me. I can see wanting to make a really solid single player game, but still wanting to give players a two player experience, even if it's just a taste.

This was probably the best way to have both worlds without being forced to make two games in one.

I'm sure multiplayer DL content will be released after the game has been proven worthy of creating it.

seeds19

Banned
smokeymicpot said:
Anyone have any idea how long the game is?

I read a review in a spanish magazine that says to beat the game take 4-5 hours, also the rewiever says the game is so fun and a cliffhanger but the lack of gore is a fail.

Decado

seeds19 said:
I read a review in a spanish magazine that says to beat the game take 4-5 hours, also the rewiever says the game is so fun and a cliffhanger but the lack of gore is a fail.
Shit. That's what I've been concerned about. The videos look incredibly tame...I was just hoping they were steering clear of spoiling the good stuff :(

NIN90

Decado said:
Shit. That's what I've been concerned about. The videos look incredibly tame...I was just hoping they were steering clear of spoiling the good stuff :(
WTF :lol
screen3.png

seeds19 said:

4-5 hours = not worth $15

KiNeSiS

Banned
NIN90 said:

I don't think he is talking about finishing moves.
Gore as in limbs falling off in battle.

Yes the game has blood, it is lacking in the gore department.
A game with a name like shank should be a smorgasbord of violence!

AAK

I shall support this game which has local multiplayer!

GAH! spending WAY too much money on games this month

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Xater said:
I disagree it totally is. How much odes going to the cinema cost? And that is just 2 hours of entetainment.
Free movie tuesdays brought to you by Optimum Online!
:lol
A beat'em up over 5 hours would probably bore me. I'd rather have one that is short and sweet like Streets of Rage 2.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
NIN90 said:
Right, that's exactly the issue. They're fine with showing a brutal asphyxiation and blood everywhere, but slash up a guy with a chainsaw and he's none the worse for wear, he comes out just the same as a guy that's been simply punched.

It seems like such an arbitrary line of decency to maintain. The game's already got plenty of stuff to earn it a solid M, nobody looking into it would see a limb fly off and suddenly do a 180, proclaiming "oh well geez I was interested but that is just TOO MUCH." Quite the opposite, they would think it was awesome, and they're going to think it's weird and incongruent with the tone of the game when it doesn't happen. It really makes no sense not to go all-out with the violence.

Adam J.

5 hours? Wow, I was totally expecting it to clock in around 3. This pleases me.

Do we know if this game has any sort of endless mode? Also, I plan on playing with the "horror" costume and pretending that it's a Casey Jones game (if only Shank had a Jose Conseco bat and a golf club).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Adam J. said:
Also, I plan on playing with the "horror" costume and pretending that it's a Casey Jones game (if only Shank had a Jose Conseco bat and a golf club).
Ooooh I'm sorry. "Splatterhouse." The answer we were looking for was "Splatterhouse."

And that is what I shall pretend.

Gravijah

KiNeSiS said:
I don't think he is talking about finishing moves.
Gore as in limbs falling off in battle.

Yes the game has blood, it is lacking in the gore department.
A game with a name like shank should be a smorgasbord of violence!

actually, I was hoping for a full blown Oz simulation.

mug_ADEBISI.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not thinking about buying this but will try the demo. Too many sure fire hits coming really. I can' buy everything I would like as it is.

The End

The only thing that would make this better would be if it had analog controls like Scott Pilgrim, then I could play it with my Fightstick for maximum arcade goodness.

xbhaskarx

Xater said:
I disagree it totally is. How much odes going to the cinema cost? And that is just 2 hours of entetainment.
denomes said:
That's 2-3 hours longer than typical admission at a movie theater. Give your head a shake dude.

Where were you people in every $15 XBLA Summer of Arcade thread over the past month?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
seeds19 said:

4 to 5 hours is alright. Most of the trailers I seen of this game seem fucking awesome. So I will give in.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jealous of the people playing it right now.
I'd buy it too but I've already exceeded my limit of money spent on videogames for this pay peroid, dammit Metroid, but I guess I'll play it for myself soon.

And 4-5 hours ain't bad for a downloadable game, I'll take re playability over length any day.

Nelo Ice

Banned
ign review is up
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1115660p1.html
Gameplay
While Shank boasts the most robust combo system I've seen in a 2D action title, much less a downloadable title, quirks with the animation system, wonky collision, and poor level design hurt the game.

Lasting Appeal
Shank is 3 hours long - while there is a cooperative mode, the difficulty may make finding co-op partners difficult and the combat can wear thin after one playthrough.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
No d-pad support? What kind of fucking idiots code a 2D action game and remove d-pad? What a below-the-belt shot in the face!

FUCK!

I now have written off the developers of this game forever, and I hope they are reading this, because hey developers, you are totally amateur, and you smell, and even though I already bought your game I am going to pretend this game just made itself, because you guys are seriously morons.

Love,

Not You Guys

Top Bottom