• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge |OT| - Eight years of rubbing and wishing!

OnPoint

I downloaded this on my friend's DSiXL when I was borrowing it and got toward the end. I got stuck a little bit and then had to give it back.

I downloaded it again on my DSi. I hope it's fun a second time through haha

OnPoint said:
I downloaded this on my friend's DSiXL when I was borrowing it and got toward the end. I got stuck a little bit and then had to give it back.

I downloaded it again on my DSi. I hope it's fun a second time through haha

You are The Best Member on GAF!

Raife

TheOGB said:
Just thought I'd point out that this game won an IGN award for Best DS Game of the Year, as well as Best Visuals.

It's cool to see this game getting some recognition. No one I know that has a DSi had even heard of it before I told them. Maybe with the awards we won't have to wait a decade for another game in the series.:lol

Got a DSiXL this week and downloaded Shantae RR yesterday. Finished today, 05:57 and 34/34 items.

Great game, but I think I liked Shantae better. This game seems like it was limited by it's inital episodic development. Only 2 dungeons vs 5 for the original. Also it was easier than the first, but the first one was mostly harder because of the incredibly short range of the hair whip so it's not a bad thing.

I may try to beat it under 2 hours with all items now.

Note: even though I've played Shantae GBC last year, my memory of it is already very hazy :lol

TheOGB

Banned
Oh goody, I don't have to look for this thread

Allan Holdsworth said:
Got a DSiXL this week and downloaded Shantae RR yesterday. Finished today, 05:57 and 34/34 items.
Same, except the part about finishing and I got my XL for Christmas.

Just finished with 100% items at 02:24:10 (thought it was under 2 hours to get the image, which seems impossible)

Wish there was a menu to see all the ending images like in Metroid Zero Mission.

Next is under 2 hours with less than 34 items.

Grisby

Awesome that it won that award. Finished the game a while back and now I want to name my next pet Risky Boots. That or Missile.

I really wish this series would get more exposure though, like on XBLA or PSN. Such a great franchise and I've only played the dsi one.

Grisby said:
Awesome that it won that award. Finished the game a while back and now I want to name my next pet Risky Boots. That or Missile.

I really wish this series would get more exposure though, like on XBLA or PSN. Such a great franchise and I've only played the dsi one.

Yeah, in a perfect world Shantae would be multi platform.

Thanks for playing.

Hopefully we'll see more of the cast in the future.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Where the fuck is the EU version?

Holy crap it still hasn't come out?

I wonder what's up, Wayforward submitted it for approval months ago according to their Twitter feed.

I'd suggest asking WayforwardTech on Twitter. They may have answers.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Holy crap it still hasn't come out?

I wonder what's up, Wayforward submitted it for approval months ago according to their Twitter feed.

I'd suggest asking WayforwardTech on Twitter. They may have answers.
They aren't answering anything, a few people have asked on that official Shantae facebook page and there hasn't been a single reply, they also haven't posted anything on Twitter for almost a month.

Nearly 3 months without a single bit of news is pathetic really, can they really not be bothered to spend 2 minutes a month typing a "sorry, no news yet, still in submissions" message for the fans who are waiting to hand over their money?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Where the fuck is the EU version?
This is precisely why I'm probably not buying an EU 3DS if the 3DS store is managed in the same way as the EU/AU DSiWare can be best summed up as a trainwreck (it seems every big game is the same way).

To steer ontopic, didn't WayForward say to Nintendolife a while back about it being out in the next 6 weeks...I think we're on about week 9 of 6, currently. I wonder how much of this is to do with Nintendo approving games then putting them in the release queue (I assume thats how they do it). So it might be a case of WayForward themselves having no clue when their game will be released (until Nintendo bother to tell them). I guess Nintendo like having control over releases so they can have all the PR in palce (yes the PR, the awful puns, the vauge wall of text and the postage stamp screenshots) and do it in a set rhythm. I wonder how the system would cope with publishers having more control on when a game goes live (probably with weeks of no releases which I thought Nintendo avoided *looks at no VC game weeks then "oh here 2 Capcom VC Arcade games" week and gets horribly confused*)

A bit mean we didn't get a compassionate discount like we did with Cave Story and Gradius Rebirth. Now I need something new to vent my anger at each Nintendo download week...

Finally, thank god. I can finally redeem the Nintendo points card I've had sitting in my cupboard for 4 months. Does the DSi XL has enough onboard memory for Shantae, or have I got to go out and pick up an SD card?

I'm sure the AUS GAF already mention this but bad news if you're Australian

The OFLC needs to understand that the ratings they charge for games sold at such low prices are disproportionate and not financially viable and in part Nintendo's attitude on the service in general being like "yeah lets make this service for Indie developers but require them to have a publisher and ratings for each region they release in. Indie developers should have no problem finding those, especially the cash for the ratings part. Also, we'll decide when their game comes out in our schedule at the end of the day, so what if that means waiting 4 months for no reason. Can't harm sales at all."

Starwolf_UK said:
I'm sure the AUS GAF already mention this but bad news if you're Australian

The OFLC needs to understand that the ratings they charge for games sold at such low prices are disproportionate and not financially viable and in part Nintendo's attitude on the service in general being like "yeah lets make this service for Indie developers but require them to have a publisher and ratings for each region they release in. Indie developers should have no problem finding those, especially the cash for the ratings part. Also, we'll decide when their game comes out in our schedule at the end of the day, so what if that means waiting 4 months for no reason. Can't harm sales at all."

What the f*ck man?

Hopefully AussieGAF gets their day soon.

nli10 said:
Yup - it's up now!

Shine the TTOB beacon and alert all that it's finally out!

BUY THIS GAME!

2vmbifk.jpg

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
This and Mighty Flip Champs made the DSi worth buying.

Showmeyamoves said:
This and Mighty Flip Champs made the DSi worth buying.

Yep, that's why it's called The Shantae Player. :D

Really hoping with Mighty Flip Champs coming to PSP, Shantae isn't far behind.

I own both consoles, but there's virtue in multiplatform release for developers IMO. Will gladly double dip, and thanks to PSN being competently designed, gift it to friends as well.

That's the biggest sore spot for me on the Nintendo side, as much as I enjoy Shantae - I can't gift a copy to a friend to indoctrinate them. >:|

CO_Andy

I can't be the ONLY one who bought this as soon as the 3DS shop opened, am i?

Game is stunningly well-crafted and vibrant (also: bouncing cleavage everywhere, just like the original), and thanks to the marginally increased size in DSi resolution the game doesn't look quite so microscopic in unscaled mode. Would love to play this on an XL, but i ain't complaining.

All lovers of beautiful sprites, buy this game. NOW

CO_Andy said:
I can't be the ONLY one who bought this as soon as the 3DS shop opened, am i?

Game is stunningly well-crafted and vibrant (also: bouncing cleavage everywhere, just like the original), and thanks to the marginally increased size in DSi resolution the game doesn't look quite so microscopic in unscaled mode. Would love to play this on an XL, but i ain't complaining.

All lovers of beautiful sprites, buy this game. NOW

Yeah, all you suckers that were talking all that "I'mma wait for 3DS shop" - NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!

You don't want to wake up with a pillow over your face for lying to me, do you?! >:O

Truth101

Banned
Man I spent $40 in the e-shop yesterday, and now I have no money to get Link's Awakening =(

I really like this game

Izayoi

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah, all you suckers that were talking all that "I'mma wait for 3DS shop" - NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!

You don't want to wake up with a pillow over your face for lying to me, do you?! >:O
Sales must've sky rocketed.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Used to deal with the OFLC through work a while back. They were a bunch of dicks, and completely inconsistent depending on who you got on the day looking at your content.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Bought this. Absolutely gorgeous. It's been fun to jump into Shantae's world after beating Super Mario Land.

Negator

A lot of people in the eShop thread mentioned that they bought this. (me included)

Quick question for those of you that have gone through the game:
I just got the forest key after the battle tower, and the NPCs in town mention something about searching the desert for the monkey dash and elephant transformation. Am I missing something? I've searched through it a good three times now and I can't find anything.

Someone sell me on this game. Why is it special?

And what is the deal with the skimpy image in post 231? Is this like a weird sex manga or furry game? Or more like Metroid in that you get to see her in a bikini if you beat the game?

TheOGB

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Someone sell me on this game. Why is it special?

And what is the deal with the skimpy image in post 231? Is this like a weird sex manga or furry game? Or more like Metroid in that you get to see her in a bikini if you beat the game?
It's a Metroid-type thing

And why it's special? Well other than it being fucking gorgeous and animating beautifully, it's basically a regular retail DS game for less than half the price. It's fun, challenging, fairly long for a DSiWare game (and speedrun-able), and it's pretty damn fun.
Yes, I know I said that twice.
If that's not enough I'm sure TToB has plenty more reasons you should get this, right?

Pimpbaa

I hope they make a game for the 3DS. Keep the sprites but have the background with 3D elements or parallax layers with different depths.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TheOGB said:
It's a Metroid-type thing

And why it's special? Well other than it being fucking gorgeous and animating beautifully, it's basically a regular retail DS game for less than half the price. It's fun, challenging, fairly long for a DSiWare game (and speedrun-able), and it's pretty damn fun.
Yes, I know I said that twice.
If that's not enough I'm sure TToB has plenty more reasons you should get this, right?

It's too short when compared to other top tier platformers/castlevania games.

Top Bottom