• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

smurfx said:
ha! then one of shaq's belongs to dwayne wade and his million free throws then.

Nah. Wade needed Shaq. Any competent shooting guard could have stepped in for those Lakers titles. You could've plugged Aaron McKie in there and been fine.

My favorite player of all time, since I was 4 our 5 years old. Great career. I kinda wish he had gone back to Miami somehow for one final run. But the injuries/wear and tear were just too much this season for him to be relavent on the court in any way; still, would have been fun to see him on the Miami bench clowning.

/salute

smurfx

get some go again
kamspy said:
Nah. Wade needed Shaq. Any competent shooting guard could have stepped in for those Lakers titles. You could've plugged Aaron McKie in there and been fine.
11h591s.gif

So many of today's top ballplayers are maddeningly...incomplete. Like as great as they are, there is some fundamental thing that they are so illogically poor at, it makes no sense.

LBJ's shot and handles are lulzy relative to how good at everything else he is.
STAT is a beast offensively, but is so bad at defense it's ridiculous...same for Anthony.
Rose's jumper is lacking.
Dwight Howard is the gold standard at center, but he'd be god with some more variety in his offense.
Kevin Durant is built to score, but can't handle the ball.
Rondo is a perfect distributor, but can't shoot.
Bosh inherited the lack of heart that his predecessor Chris Webber suffered from.
Westbrook inherited the lack of basketball IQ his predecessor Stephon Marbury suffered from.

Other players who had that complete game were robbed by injuries or disinterest - T-Mac, Vince Carter, Yao Ming, etc.

God, this game is cruel.

Cimarron

I am glad Shaq got a chance to play with us here in Boston. But man was he a waste of money and trades. I bet if Shaq wasn't here Perkins would still be here. Now we have no one worth anything as center. :(

Cimarron said:
I am glad Shaq got a chance to play with us here in Boston. But man was he a waste of money and trades. I bet if Shaq wasn't here Perkins would still be here. Now we have no one worth anything as center. :(

You wouldve lost perk anyhow and it wasnt as if the guy saved okc.

sfedai0

Banned
captmcblack said:
So many of today's top ballplayers are maddeningly...incomplete. Like as great as they are, there is some fundamental thing that they are so illogically poor at, it makes no sense.

LBJ's shot and handles are lulzy relative to how good at everything else he is.
STAT is a beast offensively, but is so bad at defense it's ridiculous...same for Anthony.
Rose's jumper is lacking.
Dwight Howard is the gold standard at center, but he'd be god with some more variety in his offense.
Kevin Durant is built to score, but can't handle the ball.
Rondo is a perfect distributor, but can't shoot.
Bosh inherited the lack of heart that his predecessor Chris Webber suffered from.
Westbrook inherited the lack of basketball IQ his predecessor Stephon Marbury suffered from.

Other players who had that complete game were robbed by injuries or disinterest -

T-Mac, Vince Carter, Yao Ming, etc.

God, this game is cruel.

Which makes you appreciate MJ even more. Sure, he had a good supporting cast, but when it was clutch, there wasnt a doubt he was the one to go to. Basically, 3 championships and then "retires". Comes back and wins 3 more.

Love Shaq but I was surprised he was able to get 1 more after leaving LA.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It was cool getting that Tweet and watching it right away being his first mention of it to the world.

Brought back memories and had me watching his Magic days on YouTube, and I just realized that out of my little jersey collection from the 90's, I don't have a Shaq jersey - I even have an official reversible Kobe jersey back when he was number 8 and all, but no Shaq jersey.

Lebron

They just don't make centers like they use to. I'm from Houston, so I'll always put The Dream at #1, but Shaq was my #2. Dude just dominated the paint with that body. Forever beast mode. Also, the dude is just hilarious off the court. He will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfAc86KpxI
How can you not like him?

DJ_Tet

Banned
It was forever ago but the most 'telling' show of his athleticism (besides single-handedly pulling down a backboard in Phoenix) was the clip from his Orlando days that was integrated into the later years of NBA on NBC intro. Shaq, biggest player in the league, outrunning people diving on the floor after a loose ball, and in a move only Shaq could do, throw a no look pass as he's sliding on the floor.

It just summed him up so well. Total superhero. You will be missed Shaq, but something tells me you've only just begun entertaining us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS5mIncSQf4

Jesus, Shaq would average 40 ppg in today's NBA. Total monster when he wanted to be. Three of those dunks are ALL OVER Alonzo Mourning.

Cimarron

Freedom = $1.05 said:
You wouldve lost perk anyhow and it wasnt as if the guy saved okc.

Perkins was a much better fit in Boston than he is in OKC. He is not a golden boy on the court but he blened well with what we had here. If he didn't traded we would have beaten Miami. We would have probably fallen to the Bulls though. Maybe.... :p

KingJ2002

Wow... we all knew this day would come but still... it's like... Shaq is a staple to today's style of basketball.

the league will never be the same.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is kind of a weird moment for me despite not really following basketball for over a decade.

I remember the hype that surrounded him when he came out of LSU and how he was going to change the game of basketball. When I was 12, I remember when Pepsi came out with the 1 liter "Pepsi Slam" bottle and I'd try to chug the whole thing like Shaq did in the commercials. I always played center in basketball not only because I was the tallest but because I wanted to be like this guy.

And yes, I loved Shaq Diesel. Used to blare it outside my house while shooting hoops (much to the irritation of my neighbors, it was awful music in retrospect). I even had his 140 dollar shoes that I had to have.

End of an era!

smoothj

He's going to pull a Bret Favre and come back when he thinks hes still "got it" and complete 20 years in the league.

you heard it here first folks.

kid ness

Really enjoyed his book "Shaq Talks Back."
51EY80Q5QTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Highly recommended, here's the amazon link.
Here's my favorite quote from the book: "Fact is, I was a virgin until college. Oh wait, my bad, prom night :)"

I've pretty much fallen out of the NBA loop a long time ago, but when I was a kid I always liked Shaq.

I wish him good luck in his future endeavors.

It's just amazing how far back he goes. I remember watching those wonderful NBC classics as a kid when he and Penny Hardaway used to go at it against Jordan's Bulls. Seems like another lifetime ago. Watching those old Orlando clips gives me goosebumps.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I had a Orlando Magic and Team USA Shaq Jersey back in the day. I remember all the Bulls fans vs. Magic fans wars at my school, with us "rebels" convinced Shaq and Penny were going to upset MJ's bulls and become the new team to beat. We might have been wrong, but we definitely were the cooler group ;)

Thanks for being the most dominating center in NBA history at one point in your career, and thanks for bringing some much needed humor into the league.

Vyer

Gonna miss Shaq. Great player, brought a lot of personality to the league, and one of those guys who are a rare talent. Plus, he always had mad respect for Dream. Hope he'll stick around and keep entertaining fans in some fashion.

Ovid

Wait...he retired BEFORE possibly winning another championship? I admire that. He knows he didn't contribute anything to the team and doesn't want to get another championship on the bench.

It was little premature to on Shaq on the 50 greatest players list 15 years ago. But, after winning championships and being such a dominant force in the league years later he truly deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom