• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Flandy

You don't have to.

moriartyprofile1.png

I'm listening

Leeness

The thing that is creating so much confusion is that you downloaded the app for worldwide viewers, which doesn't require any VPN or anything, but a subscription to watch the content that is on there.

I assume this is the app you have: BBC iPlayer (Global)

I have no clue whether Sherlock gets puts up on there after airing.

Now, the one where you need a VPN for is this one: BBC iPlayer

As you can see from the screenshots, that is the one we are talking about, as it has channels and probably a watch live option.

I have no clue about a free VPN, they are probably out there, or at least ones with a trial. Personally I use http://www.unblock-us.com/ and it has never given me a problem with the Iplayer website on the PC and PS3 and should also work easily on your iPad. It has a trial for two weeks if you want to see that works. At least you are going to have a backup if it doesn't show up in the BBC Global app.

So I'd say see if you want to bother activating that trial see if it works on your iPad and you can at least watch the episodes for two weeks on the normal Iplayer app. And after it has aired also see whether that Global app shows the episodes. After those two weeks, well, if the Global app works, it is fine, otherwise you need to find some other VPN. There isn't really much of an authorization though on the VPN, so you could probably just enter a different email or use it without having an account at all.

This all seems too complicated for me. Lol. And yeah, mine is the global app.

I will try that trial VPN sometime tomorrow though and see what happens. Otherwise I should have a new computer pretty quick here and I'll just obtain in other ways...

Leeness

Foiled at every turn...lol.

Can't download the BBC iPlayer app (non-global one), so I figured I'd try the website iPlayer. On my phone (without the mediahint proxy), it says I'm outside the UK. Fine.

On the iPad, it doesn't say outside UK...but apparently the site iPlayer doesn't work with iPads. Lol. Oh well.

Guess I'll watch it some other way!

Foiled at every turn...lol.

Can't download the BBC iPlayer app (non-global one), so I figured I'd try the website iPlayer. On my phone (without the mediahint proxy), it says I'm outside the UK. Fine.

On the iPad, it doesn't say outside UK...but apparently the site iPlayer doesn't work with iPads. Lol. Oh well.

Guess I'll watch it some other way!

Pirate it then buy the box-set when it releases to avoid feeling bad.

mclem

Wow you've had a short wait for new episodes haven't you? Lucky bastard.

My parents beat that. I've successfully got them through all six existing episodes over the Christmas break with The Reichenbach Fall screened on the 30th. Yep, where the rest of us had a two year wait to resolve that cliffhanger, they have a two day wait.

This all seems too complicated for me. Lol. And yeah, mine is the global app.

I will try that trial VPN sometime tomorrow though and see what happens. Otherwise I should have a new computer pretty quick here and I'll just obtain in other ways...

On a computer this should be a lot easier. Install free Google Chrome app (Mediahint probably works) -> Go to website -> Watch.

As a European trying to watch everything (semi)legally I know the pains. :(

Still should check tomorrow if it appears on your Global app though, who knows!

Leeness

On a computer this should be a lot easier. Install free Google Chrome app (Mediahint probably works) -> Go to website -> Watch.

As a European trying to watch everything (semi)legally I know the pains. :(

Still should check tomorrow if it appears on your Global app though, who knows!

I was trying so hard with iPad because I don't have access to a computer. But I think I found a way. >:)

I looked in the global app's twitter and they said "we don't know when we're getting Sherlock sorry". Haha.

Watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 tonight with again with the GF. Not sure If I'm going to rewatch ep 3 or just leave it. It's semi fresh in my mind what happens anyway. I don't want to watch it again incase some super obvious plot hole comes about or something.

About those streaming it in the US and such. You are practically getting the content illegally anyway by doing that since you are not a UK TV license payer. Pirate It, Stream it. Whatever you are still committing the same crime.

LordCanti

Screw it, iPlayer is SD macroblocked ass for live content. It's the Moriarty route for me. I can wait until five minutes after it airs to get my proper HD Sherlock on.

My parents beat that. I've successfully got them through all six existing episodes over the Christmas break with The Reichenbach Fall screened on the 30th. Yep, where the rest of us had a two year wait to resolve that cliffhanger, they have a two day wait.

They'll be waiting like the rest of us soon enough.

SD would have been fine at a decent bitrate but the feed is macroblocked to shit because of how low BR it is.

Does this make me...ordinary?

It's actually really good fro me, I'm in the UK with a 100mb download though so maybe that has something to do with it. I am using UnblockUs to appear as if I'm from the US.

LordCanti

It's actually really good fro me, I'm in the UK with a 100mb download though so maybe that has something to do with it. I am using UnblockUs to appear as if I'm from the US.

Why would appearing as if you're from the US make your iPlayer experience better? For that matter, I thought it blocked Americans outright.

This VPN is in the 20/30mbit range (located in London), so basically about 1/3rd to 1/2 of my 60mbit connection. It shouldn't be an issue of bandwidth at all. I also tried mediahint (which did work and its free) but it was the same macroblocked story. This is specifically live content we're talking about; The HD recordings are fine.

Certainly not on the side of the angels, that's for sure. :)

Sometimes it's just more fun being naughty.

Hm, I'm wondering. Should I do a Sherlock marathon before the new episode tomorrow or should I start watching that Continuum show everyone says is good and go in to the Season 3 Sherlock premiere without the refresher?

Hm, I'm wondering. Should I do a Sherlock marathon before the new episode tomorrow or should I start watching that Continuum show everyone says is good and go in to the Season 3 Sherlock premiere without the refresher?
Go in without refresher. Just imagine the events like they were two years ago. Just like the characters on the show.

Why would appearing as if you're from the US make your iPlayer experience better? For that matter, I thought it blocked Americans outright.

This VPN is in the 20/30mbit range (located in London), so basically about 1/3rd to 1/2 of my 60mbit connection. It shouldn't be an issue of bandwidth at all. I also tried mediahint (which did work and its free) but it was the same macroblocked story. This is specifically live content we're talking about; The HD recordings are fine.

I didn't mean to imply that UnblockUS would make it better, I was just giving a explanation of what my connection is using.

Here is a quick snap of BBC one Livestream.

uXVntmH.jpg
I Don't see any real issue here. It would be perfectly watchable for me and I'm a bit of a quality whore.

LordCanti

http://sherlockcountdown.com/

Edit: The above has the wrong time, hilariously enough. Trust the one below this post.

I didn't mean to imply that UnblockUS would make it better, I was just giving a explanation of what my connection is using.
Here is a quick snap of BBC one Livestream.
I Don't see any real issue here. It would be perfectly watchable for me and I'm a bit of a quality whore.

Stills can look okay but movement brings about macroblocking for me, which is impossible for me to ignore. I'll probably attempt to watch it live, but if it's bad, it's Moriarty time.

I'm hoping it just leaks between now and then.

LordCanti

Here you go, *sherlock fandom name here*

t1388610000z0.png

Edit: I googled and it's at the top of the nine o'clock (UK time) hour, so the website is incorrect. Fun to look at, but it's kind of comical that they've got the time wrong.

Edit: The blue countdown Stalker posted is correct, in other words.

There's been a Sherlock New Year's marathon going on most of the day here in NYC. Series One, then Two (Reichenbach Fall is almost over), and then back to One.

Gonna be 1pm for me in California... I should probably be somewhat awake by then.

For sure my friend will be texting me non-stop to wake up.

Danj

Since I'm at my parents' house for Christmas and New Year's, I can actually watch this on an actual TV as it airs :3

What a great show. I just finished the dominatrix episode, mmm good. This and Black Mirror have been quite pleasant. Sherlock is by far the best show from the UK I have seen to date (shuffling The Fall from the top spot).

Sheroking

I remember thinking it then and I still think it now: A Scandal in Belgravia is one of the five best episodes of television in the last decade.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Yep. I had a friend just finish reichenbach falls for the first time like 3 hours ago.

The ongoing commentary on the ep was so good lol. The whole "I'm an actor!" and will he won't he jump bits had her going mad.

2 year wait is almost over. So bloody excited.

Top Bottom