• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Violet_0

Banned
good episode, got better towards the end. Kinda annoying that we didn't learn how Sherlock faked his death but at least they gave us a somewhat plausible scenario

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
One thing this episode had going for it was amazing pacing. The weaker episodes of the show (S1E2, S2E2) have enough material for a 45 minute episode but are needlessly padded. This one was the opposite. So much material communicated so swiftly, it just flew by. Hard to believe that it was nearly 90 minutes. It felt like half of that.
ah alright, I actually thought it was a hallucination
It was really weirdly placed in a way that was quite confusing. There was no reason for the scene to be placed where it was. Rather than increasing the suspense in the bomb scene, it sucked it all away. It was almost as if Gatiss and Moffat couldn't think of anywhere else to place it.

AkuMifune

Banned
One thing this episode had going for it was amazing pacing. The weaker episodes of the show (S1E2, S2E2) have enough material for a 45 minute episode but are needlessly padded. This one was the opposite. So much material communicated so swiftly, it just flew by. Hard to believe that it was nearly 90 minutes. It felt like half of that.

It was really weirdly placed in a way that was quite confusing. There was no reason for the scene to be placed where it was. Rather than increasing the suspense in the bomb scene, it sucked it all away. It was almost as if Gatiss and Moffat couldn't think of anywhere else to place it.

Yeah, it did feel odd there. Also, the general lighthearted tone of the episode was messing with my perception of events.
I couldn't tell if the whole bomb thing or even kidnapping was a Sherlock ruse to get Watson back or not until the end.

I loved the danish version of The Killing, so I know that guy will be great.

tumblr_myqzklaStt1rs9v2ho3_r1_500.gif

(I just really wanted to use this gif)

ganon

I'm really glad that Sherlock is back after 2 years, but the season opener is kinda disappointing. What's with the kisses, jokes, well the whole thing just doesn't feel Sherlock-y to me.

Demon Ice

Banned
They explained it. The one he told Anderson was the real way he did it.

Nope.

After he leaves Anderson realizes that he was lying.

"How would you know John would stand in that exact spot? And even if it were true, I'd be the last person in the world you'd tell it to." Or something to that effect.

Mariolee

Nope.

"How would you know John would stand in that exact spot? And even if it were true, I'd be the last person in the world you'd tell it to." Or something to that effect.

I took it as Anderson not believing him despite him telling the truth, just like all the fans who don't like Sherlock's theory won't believe it either.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sherlock told Anderson the truth knowing that he would never believe it because it was so 'mundane'. He was trolling Phillip and informing the audience.

Nope.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Your refusal to believe... you are Anderson.

Browsing through the screencaps someone took of TEH and yeah... I think I found a new avatar...

3AQmK.gif

Edit: Darn... first choice doesn't quite make the cut due to TOS, but I think my backup is viable.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finally got around to seeing the episode early morning.

Great episode. Really enjoyed the focus on rebuilding John and Sherlock's friendship after many years. Humor was top notch, including the running jokes. Like John's fiance a lot. The season, I think, has started off strong.

And the nod to the fandom was hysterical.

Only issue with the episode was the "off" switch. Awesome buildup with the two in the train, but then it was a joke. Nothing horrible that breaks the episode or anything silly like that, I just expected a bit more.

marrec

Banned
Finally got around to seeing the episode early morning.

Great episode. Really enjoyed the focus on rebuilding John and Sherlock's friendship after many years. Humor was top notch, including the running jokes. Like John's fiance a lot. The season, I think, has started off strong.

And the nod to the fandom was hysterical.

Only issue with the episode was the "off" switch. Awesome buildup with the two in the train, but then it was a joke. Nothing horrible that breaks the episode or anything silly like that, I just expected a bit more.

They purposefully wanted to compare the mundane solution to the bomb with the mundane solution to his resurrection. And, to be fair, if I was a terrorist I'd make sure to put an off switch on my bomb to make it more user friendly.

But I work in Quality Service so that makes sense.

GSR

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is there any totally legal way to get the episode in the US ahead of the PBS broadcast? I'm fine with paying a fee.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is there any totally legal way to get the episode in the US ahead of the PBS broadcast? I'm fine with paying a fee.

Sadly, nothing 100% legal.

The 'might be legal' VPN option is what most people went with.

You know, what really surprised me, is how un-asshole-ish Sherlock was in this episode. Hooray for character growth. I mean, walking in on John's proposal asides, that whole 'sociopath/psychopath' stuff from the start of the series... doesn't really seem to apply to him anymore. In John's most recent blog entry, he still refers to Sherlock as a psychopath, but Sherlock really does have legit emotional attachments and reactions now. He's still lacking in some areas, but he feels and shit.

You know, what really surprised me, is how un-asshole-ish Sherlock was in this episode. Hooray for character growth. I mean, walking in on John's proposal asides, that whole 'sociopath/psychopath' stuff from the start of the series... doesn't really seem to apply to him anymore. In John's most recent blog entry, he still refers to Sherlock as a psychopath, but Sherlock really does have legit emotional attachments and reactions now. He's still lacking in some areas, but he feels and shit.

Yeah. The wedding episode is going to be great.

Yeah. The wedding episode is going to be great.

Was reading a blurb about The Sign of Three, it's written by the big guns and is the most "Un-Sherlock" episode because it really does deal with character development. Supposedly also the funniest episode out of all the season as well.

Just two more days!

...Also sad that my first choice for avatar can't be used. Meh...

So, I was FINE with the Anderson explanation Sherlock provided, and then this Reddit thread ruined my life.
One subtle but gaping plot hole regarding the fall...

Sherlock explains that he "rigorously" worked out 12 or 13 outcomes. He specifically says that he did NOT expect one very thing to happen: Moriarty to kill himself.
That raises the question. If Sherlock never anticipated Moriarty to kill himself, then how in the world could Sherlock have ever "killed himself" through the series of stunts? Surely, Moriarty would be looking over the edge to see Sherlock's fall, if he (Moriarty) were alive.... which Sherlock expected.
Also, if Moriarty were alive, how could Sherlock speak to John? Would Moriarty be there, listening to Sherlock say, "Just stay right there, don't move"? What was so important was the precise timing and placement of John. If the viewer can deduce that Sherlock needed John to be at a certain vantage point, surely Moriarty would see through that.

So, I was FINE with the Anderson explanation Sherlock provided, and then this Reddit thread ruined my life.
One subtle but gaping plot hole regarding the fall...

Well, he asked for a moment of privacy, and Moriarty walked away. If he hadn't figured out that Moriarty made a mistake, he would have jumped. I assume he just somehow calculated the angle that a sniper would logically be at, so that the sniper, John, and Moriarty wouldn't see the switch when it happened. He may have figured out a way to slow Moriarty down from seeing the switch.

Or, he simply planned on killing Moriarty there and then, and then jumping. Moriarty shooting himself just shocked the hell out of him, but it wouldn't have made a difference to his plan.

marrec

Banned
I thought about that too and it makes me think there MIGHT be more to it than what he explained, but I still mostly believe what he said.

Because of course, Sherlock would take any emotional response on his part out of his narration of events.

The Lazarus plan was always just 1 of his possible 13 escapes and just happened to work with Moriarty offing himself.

That's how I explain it in my head.

I thought about that too and it makes me think there MIGHT be more to it than what he explained, but I still mostly believe what he said.

Because of course, Sherlock would take any emotional response on his part out of his narration of events.

Yeah, I hope there's some little wrinkle that we're missing or he intentionally left out, because I can't wrap my head around it now.

What I find amusing?

Despite having spent the past few years trying to figure out how he did it, we get TEH which gives us a few more hints but in the end, all of us are still trying to figure out exactly the 'HOW'.

The Lazarus plan was always just 1 of his possible 13 escapes and just happened to work with Moriarty offing himself.

That's how I explain it in my head.

Maybe the original plan was to capture Moriarty/drug him without letting him tell any of the minions, and then they could eventually get the recall code and call the whole thing off and Sherlock wouldn't have to have been dead for so long.

Then he shot himself, and Sherlock had to be dead for two years. Jerk.

marrec

Banned
Maybe the original plan was to capture Moriarty/drug him without letting him tell any of the minions, and then they could eventually get the recall code and call the whole thing off and Sherlock wouldn't have to have been dead for so long.

To be fair to Moriarty, it was a pretty bold gambit.

Also, dude died totally thinking he'd won.

Peff

That is WHY Moriarty killed himself in the first place. So yeah, some of those probably had him incapacitated in some manner anyway. Besides, the whole thing was more about creating a cover story for Sherlock to go undercover and eliminate the remnants of Moriarty's organization, not so much just save John (who presumably was never in danger thanks to Mycroft's miraculous men).

Good episode, though I was expecting it to be a bit better given the calibre of the show. One thing I didn't like was a sense of the show being a little too self-aware of the fandom.

Hindle

Banned
Great episode.

The scenes where
he reveals himself to John were hilarious.
I didn't like how they're going with
another man in the shadows as the main threat though.

Great episode.

The scenes where
he reveals himself to John were hilarious.
I didn't like how they're going with
another man in the shadows as the main threat though.

But...
he is a big part of the Sherlock canon though so it's fair they show him since he's really the only person Sherlock has ever actively hated.

Toa TAK

Banned
They purposefully wanted to compare the mundane solution to the bomb with the mundane solution to his resurrection. And, to be fair, if I was a terrorist I'd make sure to put an off switch on my bomb to make it more user friendly.

But I work in Quality Service so that makes sense.

I'm keeping tabs on you.

Seriously though, I didn't think the solution to his "resurrection" was mundane and it didn't feel that way in the episode's presentation. =\

I'm not familiar with the Sherlock lore, so do people have an idea as to who
he is?

Yes.

In the books, he's Charles Augustus Milverton, who is known as "The King of Blackmailers" and did some pretty bad things obviously. In this version, if you catch one of the scenes with a newscast, he's known as Charles Augustus Magnussen and assumes the role of a Rupert Murdoch-type person but still preserves his book roots.

Ogni-XR21

Nope.

The Anderson version was definitely the real version. All the other explanations used a blue-ish grading for the scenes while the real explanation had regular colours.

Top Bottom