• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Zen

Banned
?

Watson has always been the emotional core of the show, he's had more character development and focus than Sherlock.

AkuMifune

Banned
Loved it. I can agree that somewhere along the way they turned a dark show with comedic elements into a dark comedy, but it's probably better for it. I can see how some people will be upset though.

Nurse? Client? Victim? Cardigan.

Sloane

Banned
Episode was ok, but i'm not sure i like where this show is going. All detective work seems to be shoe-horned and put there in the last moment. I want real mysteries and detective stuff, not some random small puzzles for Sherlock to solve. Also, as much as i like Watson, this show is called Sherlock.
Yeah, first episode of the show (or any show really) I just couldn't finish watching. Guess some people still like it so I guess the writers have just taken it into a direction I can't appreciate at all.

Tugatrix

I'm going to be completely pissed off if something happens to Mary. I've really grown to like her character.

what if
Mary is a baddy? the image of her with the horns is very suggestive...

At least i'm pretty sure something will happen to her, she's at least a target for Magnunson

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I just watched the episode, a day late mind as I didn't have time yesterday, and personally I really enjoyed it. I guess part of the problem with Sherlock is because the series are so short we do get these episodes that are quite character development heavy with smaller cases going on during rather than being the main point. Not that character development is bad, as someone said it is a shame Sherlock gets so much yet we get so little in say Doctor Who, but with only 3 episodes it does take up quite a bit of time.

But anyway, onto the general spoiler talk about what will happen next.
I did notice Mary's reaction to the poppet card, but didn't really link it to the bad guy afterwards because I didn't know his name, on catch up you don't get the next episode trailer so only here have I seen Charles Augustus Magnusssens mentioned. Mary being involved with him to me makes some events happening in the first episode a little clearer, the unknown texter and who put Watson in the fire is possibly a little clearer now with how he knew how far away Sherlock was the whole time because he was with Mary, who is possibly being tracked.

We know how this is likely to end with her though, while not exact the show is generally following the old stories and the fates of characters, which is a shame as quite a number of people have become quite fond of her.

So, what is the relationship between Cam and Mary going to be? Family, friend, accomplice? Blackmailer?

Or will it follow the books and
she'll end up killing him, putting Sherlock and Watson in a bit of a bind?

lj167

I thought the first episode went far too overboard with the fan theory stuff, but this episode was fantastic. Good stuff, can't wait for next week.

So, what is the relationship between Cam and Mary going to be? Family, friend, accomplice? Blackmailer?

Or will it follow the books and
she'll end up killing him, putting Sherlock and Watson in a bit of a bind?

My prediction is that
She kills him and Sherlock takes the fall for the murder so that John and Mary can continue their life together.

Timbuktu

I really like her too, she's like the anti-sherlock, the antidote.

I think that is exactly what they are going for. How likely is it going to ending on a cliffhanger on Sunday? I can't see the CAM arc being resolved until next season. More likely they have spent all this time on characters so that they can revolve things around Mary and make it have some credible emotional weight in the third ep. It is going to get a lot darker than with Moriarty. Believe.

My prediction is that
She kills him and Sherlock takes the fall for the murder so that John and Mary can continue their life together.

I can't decide if Mary is going to be a willing accomplice of CAM's, or someone who is being blackmailed to get closed to Sherlock. She is almost too perfect.... but she has been very coy about her past.

But whatever happens, I'm hoping for a barnstorming final episode.

Finalow

it's hard to hate since it's Sherlock but I didn't like this episode very much.
the "case" behind all of that was pretty bad, the rest was ok but not always as funny as I hoped. I'd say the drunk part was the best one.

I read about who played/what they did with Moriarty in season one of Elementary, and I sort of cringed. Was it handled better in execution?

It was certainly shocking. I wasn't expecting it at all.

It was handled better than one would expect. All in all, as I said, if Elementary were less a procedural it would be one of my favorite shows.

UrbanRats

The episode itself was fun times and some nice character development.
The problem is in the fact that we get 3 fucking episodes every 2 years, so every minute "wasted" is enraging.
If this show was, even 5 episodes every year, we wouldn't be here arguing about it, me thinks.

Watched this with my folks and my mom called who the killer was about 10 minutes before it was revealed. :)

As with the Cabbie in Ep1, they made it a bit too obvious a bit too soon.
When Sherlock was using that much time to figure out the target alone, i was like "c'mon, really?"

I thought they were done with all the love dove stuff in the first episode, especially after the way it ended. I thought wrong.

I mean, it was funny. But it's not Sherlock without the crime solving stuff.

As with the Cabbie in Ep1, they made it a bit too obvious a bit too soon.
When Sherlock was using that much time to figure out the target alone, i was like "c'mon, really?"
Yeah, and they even made it obvious in exactly the same way too.
"Who can move around a wedding without being seen and with access to all the guests?..." or something like that.

Lijik

The episode itself was fun times and some nice character development.
The problem is in the fact that we get 3 fucking episodes every 2 years, so every minute "wasted" is enraging.
If this show was, even 5 episodes every year, we wouldn't be here arguing about it, me thinks.

I feel like part of it is in both episodes the mystery is incredibly sidelined, and winds up just being "These random events are actually a big web that Sherlock puzzles out in the last few minutes". It gives an unsatisfying air to the rest of the episode. I think its wholly possible to have a decent enough mystery in the background while also providing a lighter comedic tone and exploring the characters. That was Dirk Gently's bread and butter and it pulled it off for four entire episodes.

A little bit of proper set up would go a long way. In the first episode the plot gets dropped in the middle of re-establishing the characters which does muddy it a bit, but I think what really hurt it was the setup was incredibly bland and vague, and it constantly stalled the next few times it was brought up. Im invested in the characters, but Id like to be invested in a mystery (this is sherlock holmes after all) and so far in series 3 those elements feel like an afterthought.

Wait, I'm confused.

So the (ep 2 spoilers)
Camera Man was the Mayfly man. Then why did his clients all have dark secrets? I thought that was CAMs thing.

Wait, I'm confused.

So the (ep 2 spoilers)
Camera Man was the Mayfly man. Then why did his clients all have dark secrets? I thought that was CAMs thing.

Not really dark but mostly pointing out that everyone has secrets that they don't want anyone to know. Even if it's mundane, to the person, it's a big deal. CAM's deal is that he will blackmail you with those secrets. But really, their only secret was working for Sholto due to his reclusive nature. And since he was a guest, the photographer just dated the girls to get enough info to be at the wedding.

mclem

Wait, I'm confused.

So the (ep 2 spoilers)

The secret they all had was that they worked for Major Sholto, who's reclusive enough that he'd demand secrecy in the people who work for him; that was the link, they were all further sources of information into how Mayfly Man could get to Sholto.

nomis

Ratings and such are always behind the curve of the trajectory of the show itself. Don't be surprised if we get another season, if ratings drop because of the current season.

1242.gif

AngryMoth

So do we think they'll deal with next weeks villain in one episode or will the story spill into next season? I can see a brutal cliffhanger coming

marrec

Banned
I really liked that episode.

Don't know what people are saying though, the episode was all about the mystery that just happened to revolve around a Wedding, not the other way around.

Great stuff.

Apparently, Moffat told Boyd Hilton that they have both series 4 and series 5 broadly outlined already. Either they're preparing to (hopefully) have somewhat of a faster production time for the series going forwards, or they're really planning for the long haul.

I bet he's signed for a 2nd series, as they've got Martin and Ben locked up as well.

Canon-informed speculation here-
I suspect he's going to meet a very grisly end by the end of next week's, and that the ramifications of that are going to be the driving force of series 4.

Apparently, Moffat told Boyd Hilton that they have both series 4 and series 5 broadly outlined already. Either they're preparing to (hopefully) have somewhat of a faster production time for the series going forwards, or they're really planning for the long haul.

Canon-informed speculation here-
I suspect he's going to meet a very grisly end by the end of next week's, and that the ramifications of that are going to be the driving force of series 4.

Man, there is so much potential for it to get so goddamn dark

"Sherlock is too comedic now. These past two episodes suck."

"Sherlock is too dark now. Where's the comedy!?"

I love the comedy. It's fantastic.

If the show goes too dark, I couldn't stand it :/

I'M SO SCARED FOR MARY.

I really hope they're not going the way I suspect they're going.

The scene is set for Red Wedding-style shenanigans should they choose.

NOOOOOOO

Top Bottom