• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

Quick

Banned
In the interest of being especially nitpicky and hoping someone can offer an explanation that doesn't make the mystery seem quite so contrived, why does the photographer stalk the soldier, constantly taking photos of him? I'm assuming he already had the idea of what to do (hence targeting him as a trial run) so what does he have to gain from spending days taking photos of him other than raising suspicion? Also I thought it was weird that the woman with the "ghost boyfriend" used John's middle name when introducing him, it's something that literally no one would ever do.

Taking photos and stalking the soldier was to "practice" or "test" his method of murder.

The bit about the woman mentioning John's middle name involves seeing the invitation at the Mayfly Man's place.

In the interest of being especially nitpicky and hoping someone can offer an explanation that doesn't make the mystery seem quite so contrived, why does the photographer stalk the soldier, constantly taking photos of him? I'm assuming he already had the idea of what to do (hence targeting him as a trial run) so what does he have to gain from spending days taking photos of him other than raising suspicion? Also I thought it was weird that the woman with the "ghost boyfriend" used John's middle name when introducing him, it's something that literally no one would ever do.

That was their "secret" that caused them all to log off suddenly. Although obviously it wasn't secret enough for them to not talk about him getting a wedding invitation from "John Hamish Watson" and confirming that he'd be there.

1) Probably to get an idea of the soldier's movements, stance, placement, and shift hours.

2) I think a) she heard "Hamish" from Sholto and b) meant to introduce him with some fanfare (i.e., "Don't you know who this is?? It's John HAMISH Watson) to save some dignity since they were both drunk idiots at the time.

The Hamish thing was a slip on her part, since Sholto had been planning to go to the wedding, it was on her mind, and boom.

As for the taking pictures, he was just learning routines and the like, one would assume. He'd have to make sure to stab the guy right before he got off duty. So it was likely he wasn't just taking pictures of the one guy at first, but of several people trying to find out who was the best pick for 'dies suddenly in the shower' or whatever.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Hamish thing was a slip on her part, since Sholto had been planning to go to the wedding, it was on her mind, and boom.

As for the taking pictures, he was just learning routines and the like, one would assume. He'd have to make sure to stab the guy right before he got off duty. So it was likely he wasn't just taking pictures of the one guy at first, but of several people trying to find out who was the best pick for 'dies suddenly in the shower' or whatever.

1) Probably to get an idea of the soldier's movements, stance, placement, and shift hours.

2) I think a) she heard "Hamish" from Sholto and b) meant to introduce him with some fanfare (i.e., "Don't you know who this is?? It's John HAMISH Watson) to save some dignity since they were both drunk idiots at the time.

Ok, these two posts help with the stalking thing, might just be that that particular soldier was the only one to notice someone hanging around. Although with his particular method he wouldn't really need to worry about the soldier's movements, he'd just need to be away somewhere when he took the belt off. Sholto wasn't stabbed right before he'd take his belt off, for example. No need to put much more effort in than that once he'd decided how to do it. I like the bit about trying to put some sort of fanfare into talking the two of them up to the landlord though.

Taking photos and stalking the soldier was to "practice" or "test" his method of murder.

The bit about the woman mentioning John's middle name involves seeing the invitation at the Mayfly Man's place.
They wouldn't have seen the invitation at his place though, as he wasn't invited - they mention that he's a subsitute photographer filling in or something, don't they?

They wouldn't have seen the invitation at his place though, as he wasn't invited - they mention that he's a substitute photographer filling in or something, don't they?

Yeah, the Mayfly man wouldn't have had the invitation. They are the ones that talked about the wedding to him, which they would all know about, working for Sholto. And since he never leaves, this was a huge deal for him, so I am sure they were excited about/helped him get to the point where he could leave/whatever. Also, John and Sherlock are basically celebrities at this point, so gossip, yay!

And yeah, no idea how he finagled his way into being the photographer, I'd imagine it was much the same way he found out about the wedding.

I think with the Bloody Guardsman, he wanted to be even more careful, since, you know, guardsman. If he could get away with that, then he could get away with stabbing Sholto at the wedding.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, the Mayfly man wouldn't have had the invitation. They are the ones that talked about the wedding to him, which they would all know about, working for Sholto. And since he never leaves, this was a huge deal for him, so I am sure they were excited about/helped him get to the point where he could leave/whatever. Also, John and Sherlock are basically celebrities at this point, so gossip, yay!

And yeah, no idea how he finagled his way into being the photographer, I'd imagine it was much the same way he found out about the wedding.

Maybe he found out that the original photographer had an exceptionally tight camera strap.

Quick

Banned
The photographer would still need some form of documentation to get into the wedding.

It's that or he mentioned it to her.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just watched the episode and it was brilliant, easily one of the best Sherlock episodes to date. It had just the right amount of character development, humor, and mystery for a great episode, I was constantly trying to guess how the mystery would play out. At first I thought the Major might be trying to kill John, then when he turned to the target I suspected something to do with the belt since both he and the guardsmen had similar belts, but I dismissed that because it would make sense both men would have similar military belts. In the end everything tied up very nicely in an unanticipated manner and left you questioning the future of Sherlock and John's relationship.

ganon

In the interest of being especially nitpicky and hoping someone can offer an explanation that doesn't make the mystery seem quite so contrived, why does the photographer stalk the soldier, constantly taking photos of him? I'm assuming he already had the idea of what to do (hence targeting him as a trial run) so what does he have to gain from spending days taking photos of him other than raising suspicion?

Was wondering about that too. He just needs to lurks around the area to take notes on that soldier's guard shifts, but does he needs to take photos too? He even stalks and took photos when the soldier went inside the building.

Does he knows that his trial run failed by the way?

...And now for something completely different, courtesy of Loo Brealey's twitter.

Mrs. Hudson & Lestrade.
BdeU2c_IcAAvLLO.jpg:large

fireside

As for it not being particular rough, I don't see how Sherlock could have changed so dramatically if he hadn't been through something, ya know? He didn't suddenly start worrying about what other people think just because he missed London and John.

I think it was John's reaction to him being alive. When he's getting ready with Mycroft, he's the same old Sherlock: he's brash, arrogant, and assuming everything will be okay. It's not until John tells him to f-- *cough* that Sherlock starts to act differently.

Of course, that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think it was John's reaction to him being alive. When he's getting ready with Mycroft, he's the same old Sherlock: he's brash, arrogant, and assuming everything will be okay. It's not until John tells him to f-- *cough* that Sherlock starts to act differently.

Eh maybe? I assumed he was just pissed at Mycroft for 'enjoying it'.

But yeah, maybe it was that, or it was the last bit that sent him into a bit of a tailspin. All we can do is speculate until they confirm, which is unlikely either way :p

bengraven

I hope Season 4 does have a bit more return to the mystery part. This season is so far great for character interaction, but I'd like to go back to the mysteries.

Unless they're not as good as the "middle episodes" from Season 1 and 2.

I think John's behavior toward Sherlock the entire episode made Sherlock terrified he was going to lose him.

Man, when Series 5 ends in 2018, no idea what i'll do...

I remember when the 50th anniversary for Doctor Who came out.

People were like, "Can you imagine? We're sitting in our nursing homes, watching the 100th anniversary."
"And then the trailer for season five of Sherlock airs afterwards."

Fireblend

Banned
If it's the same impressions I read, hope everyone has been paying attention to the both episodes, as really, everything falls into place for HLV.

Even redbeard is quite important...
Ooh, can I ask for a PM? Where do they land between 1 and 10 in the spoilerific spectrum?
PM me the link anyway. I'm hopeless.

A few more tidbits on the earlier news:

- We’ve plotted out the whole of series 4 and 5 reveals Steven Moffat
Around 10pm on Sunday night, Sherlock fans may be feeling a combination of elated and melancholic. Elated because the concluding episode of series three is very, very good, melancholic because – just 11 days after it returned – it’s all over again.

So here’s some good news: Sherlock co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss have already plotted out two more series of the detective drama – and Moffat reckons it’s their best stuff yet.

“Rather excitingly, Mark and I, for no particular reason, we just got out of the rain and sat at the top of the [Sherlock] production bus… and we just started plotting out what we could do in the future,” Moffat told the audience at tonight's Bafta screening of the season three finale His Last Vow.

“And we plotted out the whole of series four and five.”

“So we have got plans – but our plans don’t tend to be ‘Let’s blow up the world or cast the most famous person in the world’ they tend to be ‘What exciting twists and turns can we add to this?’ And I think we’ve got some crackers!

“The ideas we had that day, I thought were the best we’ve ever had.”

And after you watch the series three finale on Sunday, you’ll know that’s setting the bar very high indeed…

Top Bottom