• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

We've already seen the show's version of Moran. He was a voiceless Lord who failed to explode a train and got arrested. I wouldn't be counting on him to be driving next season's plot.

I still keep meaning to give Elementary a fair shake but there are so many other things to watch that I keep getting distracted.

Funny enough, I actually like the idea of Joan Watson. Though I'll also laugh if that's what they decide to name the baby in BBC Sherlock.

Was chatting with my friend and asked her about the S3 DVDs (she got her copy already) and she mentioned that it had the bts stuff but nothing else.

Then I told her what the US iTunes season pass has and what do you know, it has more stuff actually.

Here's what I've gotten so far:
eFZaXg4.jpg

Feran

I still keep meaning to give Elementary a fair shake but there are so many other things to watch that I keep getting distracted.

Funny enough, I actually like the idea of Joan Watson. Though I'll also laugh if that's what they decide to name the baby in BBC Sherlock.

Elementary's alright, although sometimes I forget I'm watching a show about Sherlock Holmes haha.

Blackhead

Redarse
Meh. My friend, after whining for months about how shows like Sherlock and Doctor Who are "tumblr bait", leads me to this article, praising a show where
Moriarty fucks Sherlock. Fuck that.

They literally described Season 3 of BBCLock. Idiots.
I've watched every episode of both. You have no idea of the bullshit you're spewing. Episode 3 almost jumped the shark with Sherlock fulling revealing his sociopathic tendencies and then cliffhanger ending with a Moriarty comeback. The BBC Sherlock started on a high but is a road to ridiculousness. Elementary started on a lower level but is on a more promising path albeit not with a guaranteed payoff. Elementary isn't that good but neither is Shherlock to be honest.
The thing with Elementary is, whether or not the characters are called Sherlock Holmes really didn't have any effect. Call him John Doe and it's still the same detective procedural show.

At first it was all generic but they've slowly incorporated the mythology and made it a proper sherlock holmes show imo.

I really don't like where the show is heading. It's less about the actual cases, more about the relationship between Holmes and Watson. I thought this was well balanced prior to this season.

I really don't like where the show is heading. It's less about the actual cases, more about the relationship between Holmes and Watson. I thought this was well balanced prior to this season.

I actually enjoyed S3 as a whole, solely because there was more growth as a person on Sherlock's part on display versus the glimpses we saw in the previous seasons. Since he was gone for two years, I thought it was best to see Sherlock himself trying to work his way back into the lives of everyone whom he cared about rather than solving just mysteries and I'm glad they went that route with this season.

Whatever Moffat and Gatiss have planned for the new seasons, I'm just enjoying the ride.

gabbo

While I can agree with you to an extent, the way season2 ended made it rather apparent they were going to beef up the relationship between Watson and Holmes at the expense of cases (to a degree)

Kimaka

I agree. I preferred the format of Holmes and Watson solving cases with banter between them. I like scenes that are about their lives outside of mysteries but episode 2 went overboard. I get that Sherlock has grown to love and care about John, I didn't need an entire episode dedicated to that which could have been done in half the time. A few scenes, such as the drunk scene and the speech, went on way too long. For the first time I felt that they were dragging out scenes to meet the 1hr and 30mins time limit. Episode 3 did make up for 2 but overall I'm disappointed in this season. I'm just glad I didn't have to wait 2 years because I just got into Sherlock.

For season 4, I really hope that John starts standing up to Sherlock more. Sherlock continues to be really dickish towards John while John takes it with maybe some yelling for 30 seconds or so. I would like to see John pull one off on Sherlock for once.

Loxley

Man, my theory that I formed towards the half-way point of episode 3 was all wrong.

I thought they might reveal that Magnussen was, in fact, the real Moriarty (sort of a Batman Begins "Duchard is actually the real R'as al Ghul" kind of thing) and the psychopathic clown that we'd been lead to believe up to this point was Moriarty was actually just his puppet doing his bidding. I know Magnussen is based off of Milverton from the books, but I figured that could have just been a way for the show's creators to play around with the fans familiar with the source material.

The fact that they killed Moriarty off so quickly was another reason I figured this might be the case, on top of how much they kept pushing how smart Magnussen was; with his memory being a mirror image of Sherlock's.

I still kind of wish that was the way they'd gone that route. But I think it's mostly because I really, really hate how they portrayed Moriarty. I know he has plenty of fans and many people feel it was an interesting take on the character, I just don't. *shrug* Overall though, I'd place this series firmly between 1 and 2. Despite my distaste for Moriarty, I'd still place series 2 at the top. Looking forward to series 4 :)

Another problem I have with the show is its depiction of Mycroft.

In the books, it's explained quite clearly his strengths and weaknesses as they relate to his younger brother. Mycroft's skill of deduction surpasses that of Sherlock, but the problem with Mycroft is that he never practices the essential steps to validate his theories, whereas Holmes does. On the show, they make it seem like he's superior to Holmes in every single aspect (which isn't true), and thus it begs the question from viewers of why Mycroft simply doesn't resolves any and all matters that elicit his attention, as opposed to deferring these matters to Sherlock (e.g., Moriarty)

Another problem I have with the show is its depiction of Mycroft.

In the books, it's explained quite clearly his strengths and weaknesses as they relate to his younger brother. Mycroft's skill of deduction surpasses that of Sherlock, but the problem with Mycroft is that he never practices the essential steps to validate his theories, whereas Holmes does. On the show, they make it seem like he's superior to Holmes in every single aspect (which isn't true), and thus it begs the question from viewers of why Mycroft simply doesn't resolves any and all matters that elicit his attention, as opposed to deferring these matters to Sherlock (e.g., Moriarty)

The fact that Mycroft defers to Sherlock in solving all of these things is in line with the character actually. We know that he is rather lazy when it comes to the physical part of solving the matters and will only wade in when he absolutely needs too (with much reluctance anyways).

Work smarter, not harder is what Mycroft seems to live by and he works smarter by getting Sherlock to do the work for him.

jett

D-Member
Really enjoyed the second and third episodes. Didn't expect pretty much anything that went one in episode 3, heh. But I do miss the times when it was actually about the cases and not just about Sherlock+Watson.

So when can we expect series 4? Somewhere around 2020 after Cucumbersnatch is done playing Darth Vader Jr. in the new Star Wars movies?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Really enjoyed the second and third episodes. Didn't expect pretty much anything that went one in episode 3, heh. But I do miss the times when it was actually about the cases and not just about Sherlock+Watson.

So when can we expect series 4? Somewhere around 2020 after Cucumbersnatch is done playing Darth Vader Jr. in the new Star Wars movies?

Christmas, if all goes to plan.

I really want the CE that's offered on the BBC shop but of course they don't ship to the US. Meanwhile, the BBC America shop is lacking severely in any of the goods offered on the UK shop.

Ridiculous.

T.O.P

Banned
Watched all three season starting yesterday morning

I love everything, i'm shipping everyone and Rupert Graves is one hot motherfucker

WHAT DO I DO NOW

OH GOD

gonna spend the day on tumblr
anigif_enhanced-buzz-28523-1378506218-31.gif

Watched all three season starting yesterday morning

I love everything, i'm shipping everyone and Rupert Graves is one hot motherfucker

WHAT DO I DO NOW

OH GOD

gonna spend the day on tumblr
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/9/6/18/anigif_enhanced-buzz-28523-1378506218-31.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I find the entire cast fairly attractive but I'll also admit that Graves is a bit more so that BC.

Also, have fun and enjoy your stay in this thread :P

Finally caught up. The scene where Sherlock is shot and deduces his way out of a fatal injury is amazing, as are the scenes in the facade where John discovers Mary's secret, and the scene after at Baker Street. Freeman really carries the emotional weight of the show, being the most 'normal' person there for us to relate to.

A lot of people criticising how Sherlock is let into Appledore with a gun, and simply shoots Magnusson in the head. My justification is that Magnusson thought he had defeated Sherlock with the laptop. The police would find no physical vault, so Sherlock would be charged with trying to sell government secrets.

But he underestimated Sherlock's willingness to protect John and Mary. As he says during the wedding, he vows to do everything he can to keep them safe. CAM doesn't think this would go as far as murder, so why check them for weapons?

Yeah, it falls apart a little when you consider a) CAM had them checked for weapons earlier in the episode, and b) CAM threw John into the bonfire to test Sherlock's resolve and find his "pressure point."

Also, I don't understand how people think the show is getting more and more farfetched. I mean, the first episode has Sherlock determine a car's route from his memory of the London streets, and almost instantly create a route on foot to intercept it. Even the first episode introduced Sherlock's arch nemesis, giving the show a sort of comic book feel. They're basically superheroes whose powers are in their brains.

The more I think about it, basically CAM was pretty stupid too, eh? He was almost killed by Mary (how the hell did she get into his office by the way??), kneels and begs for his life like a coward, but he didn't learn a lesson from that and instead he didn't even bother to frisk Sherlock for a gun and blab out his mind palace secret for Sherlock to blow up. Tsk tsk.

Mary was cheating on John with Janine, and their relationship gave Mary access to CAM's office.

Fanfiction in progress.

EDIT: Doh. Just remembered than Janine was Mary's bridesmaid. I suppose she could have used that. Janine, worst PA 2014.

ganon

EDIT: Doh. Just remembered than Janine was Mary's bridesmaid. I suppose she could have used that. Janine, worst PA 2014.

But she won't even let Sherlock in before he "proposes" to her, it's weird if she let Mary in so easily. Also Sherlock wants to hurry it up before anyone takes real notice of him and we can see people walking around the elevator, but Mary was wearing her super secret assassin suit, I don't think she can just walk in and stand there without people freaking out.

I think she entered the same way she left, jumping around the vent or something like Mission Impossible stuff.

Absolutely brilliant episode

tumblr_mz4dec7HW81qeu9wvo1_500.png

tumblr_myypjrXD0A1qay8qno1_500.gif

i lost it when i saw the fork snapping at how hard she hits him lol

She also tries so hard not to laugh when he says "Ow!".

Btw, new special offered in the iTunes season pass is Sherlock Uncovered: The Women along with TSOT.

Just watched S1 of Sherlock and its actually a great show. But are they only 3 episodes each season? Cuz I watched it on netflix and the episodes felt like movies. Either way i did like it alot.

Just watched S1 of Sherlock and its actually a great show. But are they only 3 episodes each season? Cuz I watched it on netflix and the episodes felt like movies. Either way i did like it alot.

3 hour and a half episodes yeah. It's not a lot, but the episodes tend to be incredibly fleshed out due to the length.

3 episodes per season isn't enough. Even if each episodes are 80 minutes long. They need to make it longer to at least 5-6 episodes per season.

3 episodes per season isn't enough. Even if each episodes are 80 minutes long. They need to make it longer to at least 5-6 episodes per season.

As much as I'd like that, I think I prefer the current format but would love a Christmas special whenever they can fit it in. Even the mini-episode, Many Happy Returns was enough to whet my appetite until S3 premiered on New Year's - and that was just 7-min long.

The stories take time to write, not to mention everyone involved is doing other stuff so if the format was like DW, you could grind out more episodes but I'm okay with what we've got for now.

So....does anyone have the S3 soundtrack yet? Do they have that slightly modified version of "The Game Is On" that plays under Watson and Mary's conversation at the end of His Last Vow?

Top Bottom