• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

I'm assuming whatever the end up doing will not answer the central cliffhanger/question of Series 4's finale, right?

That would be correct. My guess would be either it'd be small character pieces or perhaps an expanded scene - like maybe the full pub crawl from John's stag night with the cut scenes in.

- EW: Season 3 episodes and bonus content to stream exclusively on Netflix

Of interest:
The streaming service has exclusive rights to the Benedict Cumberbatch-Martin Freeman drama, but that’s not all — three making-of specials, collectively titled Sherlock Uncovered, follow each of the episodes. And because Sherlock Holmies and Cumberbitches just can’t get enough of the BBC series, fans can also check out Unlocking Sherlock, a one-hour behind-the-scenes feature that examines the process of making the entire series.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5546...remiere-date-special-episode.htm#.U5C6YPmwLgw

Some info on the possible special episode, notably:

When asked about the special episode, Gatiss had said, "there was talk amongst people who have nothing to do with "Sherlock," I'm afraid."

:(

Though this is nice:

As reported previously, the delay in filming of "Sherlock" Season 4 is because of Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch's busy schedules. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat, co-writers of "Sherlock," had said that they have mapped out the entire Season 4 and Season 5 of "Sherlock."

Season five, woo! In....5 years, I am sure.

Flandy

Somebody
Please
HALP ME

I just got done watching episode 3 of season 3. I watched the first 2 episodes back when they aired in January but never got around to episode 3.
Here's my reaction
uhehehehehehehehehehuhehe whats going onuhehehehehehehe *in fetal position* hehhueuhehehehuehueh.
:l

Somebody
Please
HALP ME

I just got done watching episode 3 of season 3. I watched the first 2 episodes back when they aired in January but never got around to episode 3.
Here's my reaction
uhehehehehehehehehehuhehe whats going onuhehehehehehehe *in fetal position* hehhueuhehehehuehueh.
:l

...I don't know what to tell you dude. Endless rewatches perhaps?

Personally, I'll be going to the Bay Area Sherlock Con and go hang out with people in August for a fix - away from tumblr that is lol.

Oh hey, I forgot about posting about this.

So coming in October of this year is a book called Sherlock: Chronicles and it's by Steve Tribe.

A book you say? Yeah, a book but it's actually about 500 pages and has been assembled by the cast & crew of Sherlock and being put out by BBC Books.

Have I got your attention now? Good, because it's also got lots of BTS stuff and it covers all three seasons of Sherlock - and I'll bet even the pilot, if you're so inclined.

Anyways, it's available for pre-order off Amazon UK right now though I don't know if it'll be available anywhere else yet.

...And yes, I have mine preordered. No this is not a plug, but rather, it sounds like a book for fans of Sherlock really so thought I'd share.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is there any previous for this kind of thing being any good? I can see it being a lot of boring, widely known anecdotes but for Sherlock, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Is there any previous for this kind of thing being any good? I can see it being a lot of boring, widely known anecdotes but for Sherlock, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

The thing is, from what snippets I've gleamed from twitter & tumblr, is that it's filled with photos, notes, wardrobe & other stuff from all involved. I'll try to dig up the Sherlockolgy tumblr post about it - it was posted last week. I do know that Arwel Jones was talking about compiling a book about the BTS stuff so I think this is it.

Only other book that I know of that's Sherlock-related to feature little snippets was the Casebook, which does feature photos that are exclusive to the book. Most of the time I see those pics from it, they're scans.

Edit: Checked the tumblr post, basically what's in the Amazon UK description is what's in their post. So guess we'll know in the coming months.

Quick

Banned
Oh hey, I forgot about posting about this.

So coming in October of this year is a book called Sherlock: Chronicles and it's by Steve Tribe.

A book you say? Yeah, a book but it's actually about 500 pages and has been assembled by the cast & crew of Sherlock and being put out by BBC Books.

Have I got your attention now? Good, because it's also got lots of BTS stuff and it covers all three seasons of Sherlock - and I'll bet even the pilot, if you're so inclined.

Anyways, it's available for pre-order off Amazon UK right now though I don't know if it'll be available anywhere else yet.

...And yes, I have mine preordered. No this is not a plug, but rather, it sounds like a book for fans of Sherlock really so thought I'd share.

I might pick it up. I'm very selective with my BTS-style books for TV shows and movies.

Jak140

AVClub just named The Empty Hearse one of the worst episodes of the TV season. Can't say I disagree since Series 3 pretty much killed my love for the show.

avclub said:
1. Sherlock, “The Empty Hearse”
“The Empty Hearse,” Sherlock’s third-season premiere, is the weakest episode the show has ever done—and comes on the heels of the biggest cliff-hanger the show attempted, the shocking non-death at the end of season two in “The Reichenbach Fall.” Fans of the show waited 18 months for Benedict Cumberbatch’s and Martin Freeman’s shooting schedules to open up, so the third season could go to production—and then that premiere was a sloppy, thudding mess, mishandling the emotional fallout of “Fall” with bad accents, slapstick, and mean-spirited fake-outs. Showrunners Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss often want to have their cake and eat it too with the twists and turns of Sherlock’s story: They want the emotional resonance and the cerebral plotting. “The Empty Hearse” is a catastrophic failure of both. There’s nothing even remotely plausible about Sherlock’s faked death—and nothing remotely moving about the numerous imagined torrid kisses that go into the plotting. In all likelihood, this disappointing episode will be the turning point of Sherlock from “silly but interesting character drama” to “extremely well-produced schlock.”
Arbitrary Tournament superlative: Worst best friend ever.

http://www.avclub.com/article/26-worst-episodes-2013-14-television-season-part-1-206124

Slowdive

Banned
There could be a 2015 Christmas special according to Martin Freeman:

The actor told The Telegraph that the BBC detective smash will resume filming at some point next year.

"If that's going to be [for] a special - I'm speaking off-message here; if this was New Labour I'd get fired - I think that might be for next Christmas," he said. "A Christmas special - that's what I understand."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129...cial-says-martin-freeman.html#~oIFM51EMqnLrTE

Didn't Moffat or Gatiss rule it out? Perhaps they changed their minds.

There could be a 2015 Christmas special according to Martin Freeman:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129...cial-says-martin-freeman.html#~oIFM51EMqnLrTE

Didn't Moffat or Gatiss rule it out? Perhaps they changed their minds.

That's still a two year wait....

benedict-cumberbatch-birthday-12.gif

- Deadline: Official: ‘Sherlock’ Returning For Special, Followed By Three New Episodes
The game is on — again! On Monday night, BBC One sent two tweets alerting Sherlock fans that a surprise was in store for today. In the first missive, the channel — which had changed its handle to “Sherlock – #221back” for the occasion — posted a gif of Andrew Scott as Moriarty from the last episode of Season 3, and the question, “Did you miss me?” An hour later, BBC One wrote, “It’s all gone dark… Something’s coming… Or someone. Details at 2.21pm tomorrow.” And now we’ve solved the mystery. The BBC has confirmed the sleuthing drama will return for a special, followed by a series of three new episodes. Shooting on the special will start in January 2015, with the series shooting later next year. “We’re ready to unleash the most shocking and surprising series of #Sherlock yet. The only thing is to expect is the unexpected…,” said BBC One today. A fourth season has unofficially been afoot for some time, but dates have never been specified — a lot of juggling is necessary given the big screen demands on stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Today’s confirmation follows reports on Sunday that the high-functioning sociopath and sidekick/best pal Dr John Watson would be back for a special in 2015. Freeman told The Telegraph a period of filming looked “pretty likely” in early 2015 and that he thought it “might be for next Christmas.” Either way, fans have had to wait long periods before to catch up with the characters, and their fervor has not abated. When Season 3 kicked off on BBC One and PBS in January this year after a two year hiatus, it was the series’ most-watched episode ever, on both sides of the Atlantic.

Co-creator, writer and executive producer Steven Moffat said today, “A special, plus a new series of three episodes — it’s a record-breaking run!! Of course, it’s far too early to say what’s coming, but we’re reasonably confident that the very next thing to happen to Sherlock and John, is the very last thing you’d expect…” Co-creator, writer, exec producer and co-star Mark Gatiss added that the three new eps will take Sherlock and John “into deeper and darker water than ever before.”

At least we have confirmation (finally) of the new season while the special is a nice surprise.

Please give me more actual sleuthing this season. Oh and more Lestrade.

Saying that the Christmas special will focus on the seeming return of Moriarty makes me think that anything involving him will be wrapped up in that episode, and they'll move on to another antagonist for Series 4.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
great news, although so bloody far away

still, I was slightly disappointed in S3. Too eager to impress, too much humour. I hope S4 brings a more serious tone because it looked like a damn comedy at times

Oh my god that is John and Mary as Disney's Robin Hood and Maid Marion isn't it? Beautiful work even if I am wrong.

Heh heh heh, right film but wrong couple. It's Greg and Molly actually.

After all, Robin Hood is a fox in Disney's Robin Hood, no?

I couldn't resist asking her for a commission after seeing one of her Disneylock commissions during Fanime. Thus, I took screenshots from Robin Hood and printed them out for reference.

Heh heh heh, right film but wrong couple. It's Greg and Molly actually.

After all, Robin Hood is a fox in Disney's Robin Hood, no?

I couldn't resist asking her for a commission after seeing one of her Disneylock commissions during Fanime. Thus, I took screenshots from Robin Hood and printed them out for reference.

That makes more sense, I got tripped up on the Mary=Marion thing :p Very awesome

mclem

Sherlock gets some Emmys! Admittedly the creative arts (i.e. technical achievement) ones, but still:

Digital Spy

The BBC's Sherlock triumphed in four categories, including the Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries Or Movie award, for series three finale 'His Last Vow'.

Steven Moffat's detective drama also triumphed in the Picture Editing for a Miniseries or TV Movie, Music Composition for a Miniseries, TV Movie or Special and Sound Editing for a Miniseries, TV Movie or Special categories.

Oh right, the Emmys. Already know the outcome (since it was announced a few weeks ago) but still congrats to the team for the win.

HLV wasn't an ep I liked after it stewed a bit, but technically it was very well-done. Always comes back to the details.

- EW: Quick tidbit from Moffat on S4:
One of the biggest awards surprise Monday night at the Nokia Theatre: Perpetual bridesmaid Sherlock suddenly winning three Emmys, including honors for stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, as well as writer-producer Steve Moffat. The actors were absent, but Moffat was on hand to talk to reporters backstage after his big win and he gave some season 4 scoop.

Asked if the previously announced season 4 can top this Emmy-winning season, Moffat replied: “We have a plan to top it. And I do think our plan is devastating. We’ve practically reduced our cast to tears telling them the plan … we’re probably more excited that we’ve ever been about Sherlock.”

Moffat also revealed he doesn’t look at Sherlock-obsessed social site Tumblr (“We have to stay away from it, particularly me. My friends keep saying ‘don’t go on Tumblr, they’re tremendously cross'”) and noted his surprise at Sherlock‘s winning streak. “I didn’t think we’d win anything,” he said. “I’m a bit worried about rewinding and seeing my speech … we were just starting to think that phase [of getting awards attention] was dying down … hopefully more people will watch it.”

royalan

I'm surprised that Sherlock won all these Emmys for its weakest season.

Don't get me wrong, even weak Sherlock is excellent TV. But I always thought the general consensus was that this season was the weakest of the three.

Maybe this means that Orphan Black needs to completely bomb a season and that's when Tatiana Maslany will sweep awards.

I'm surprised that Sherlock won all these Emmys for its weakest season.

Don't get me wrong, even weak Sherlock is excellent TV. But I always thought the general consensus was that this season was the weakest of the three.

Maybe this means that Orphan Black needs to completely bomb a season and that's when Tatiana Maslany will sweep awards.

It might be two things:

1) Emmy voters finally rewarded the show for how awesome it has been from the start.

2) The first two episodes of series 3 were weaker compared to series 2, but episode 3 was so awesome it skewed their perspective.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People dislike it because it has too much character stuff and not enough Sherlock-solving-mysteries.

I like it. But I also think it is the weakest season.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess it comes from the same kind of people who thought the finale to True Dick S1 should've been Rust and Marty driving to Innsmouth to stop the summoning of Cthulhu by Louisianian Pedophiles.

It might be two things:

1) Emmy voters finally rewarded the show for how awesome it has been from the start.

2) The first two episodes of series 3 were weaker compared to series 2, but episode 3 was so awesome it skewed their perspective.

3) HLV (though weaker compared to TSoT, IMO) was more of a traditional, straight-forward episode compared to the first 2 episodes and was easier to analyze/review for voting members. It highlighted a lot of the crew's technical skill and also featured the acting chops of Freeman and Cumberbatch. So really, it was a no-brainer to submit HLV to me.

Again, I loved the character development of S3 and TSoT is tied with ASiB as my favorite episode. HLV, to me, is weaker than either TRF or TGG while Hearse is better than Blind Banker by a longshot.

(^ν^)

Top Bottom