• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

G-Fex

If you don't mind a challenge, SJ is great.

Can't go wrong with Strange Journey.

If you have access to it Strange Journey is pretty rad. It's a classic first-person dungeon crawler, but with Megaten story and systems. Note: do not play this if you are allergic to ultra-complex puzzle dungeons.

Sounds like I'm going to pick up Strange Journey friday. I really love first person dungeon crawlers.

ultra complex puzzle dungeons? Well I doubt I'm any good at those but I'll give it a try anyway.
I would roll SMT:SJ or maybe SMTIV if you have the means to play it. Soul Hackers is fun too and not too long if I recall.

Yeah. My other choices were SMTIV, SH, and Devil Survivor overclocked so I'll get those sometime later.

gngf123

Strange Journey had a lot of really great dungeons, but the puzzles weren't too bad except for one or two moments. Not sure I would call them "ultra-complex".

Strange Journey is also one of my favourite games, so comes with a recommendation from me.

Yeah. My other choices were SMTIV, SH, and Devil Survivor overclocked so I'll get those sometime later.

I'm in Europe so I can't yet talk for IV.

Soul Hackers is amazing. I even prefer the music and atmosphere compared to Strange Journey. Problem is the localization is a little off. From the top of my head I know of 2 or 3 lines of untranslated text, a number of demons with weaknesses to expel and death listed as having resistances to them, and I believe an incorrect hint on one boss. It isn't as annoying as it sounds, but I did notice it.

DSO is pretty different and worth a shot.

Caladrius

So Digital Devil Saga 2's main story is done.

I overall liked it far better than the first. Better pacing and dungeon design for the most part. (Though the EGG 2nd visit and the fourth and fifth layers of the final dungeon were interminable.) I've soured on the new Mantra grid though. You don't get nearly enough Macca considering how expensive the end-game Mantras get.

Does anybody have an ETA for level 99, going from 70? I'm looking to fight all of the Final Dungeon's extra bosses, including Satan.

G-Fex

I'm going to play Nocturne (and possibly DDS1) this weekend. I really screwed up last time I was new to Nocturne. I did a lot of things wrong including grinding for weeks in one spot to reach the 70's and going through the rest of the game only to get rekt to on the supposedly last area.

I'd probably need a guide this time.

I know it's a different type of game but if I can navigate myself through this.

jnnRV7d.jpg

I think I have a shot at strange journey's dungeons

I'm thinking of starting either SJ or Nocturne next, but I just wanted to know real quick. Is there any (legal) way of playing SMT II? If not I'll skip it and come back later through a translation or something.

There are a variety of legal ways to play it but currently no ways to play it in English that don't involve a translation patch.

SMT4 is super great although based on what you've said I think you're well off getting SJ now.

Not sure I would call them "ultra-complex".

You obviously haven't read hundreds of posts of people whining about Eridanus.

Caladrius

Shiva, Set and Vishnu are done (all in the low 70's), Just Satan left, but I'm going to take a lengthy break before starting the preparations in earnest.

This is a thing in the works at HG101, glad he finally unveiled it.

The HG101 Guide to Shin Megami Tensei.

Lovely. I was disappointed when I saw that their old series didn't cover anything past 2008.

Xhorder

This is a thing in the works at HG101, glad he finally unveiled it.

The HG101 Guide to Shin Megami Tensei.
megaten-1a.jpg

megaten-2a.jpg

megaten-3a.jpg

Can't wait for this book. I think I've read the original articles a three or four times over the years. Always waiting for an update... ;-) I'm happy to see there is an update in the works in the form of this book. If there is a way to preorder I would do it.

nynt9

Am about to start DDS. What am I in for, any advice for beginners? I've played all the Personas and SMT3/4 and Soul Hackers.

Seda

Am about to start DDS. What am I in for, any advice for beginners? I've played all the Personas and SMT3/4 and Soul Hackers.

If you've played Nocturne and SMTIV, you shouldn't have many issues with DDS. Main difference is the skill acquiring system. Might want to gain the passives to negate elemental weaknesses of characters sooner rather than later.

Oh, remember to sell items during MAX Solar Noise for best gain (although there is one exception).

nynt9

If you've played Nocturne and SMTIV, you shouldn't have many issues with DDS. Main difference is the skill acquiring system. Might want to gain the passives to negate elemental weaknesses of characters sooner rather than later.

Oh, remember to sell items during MAX Solar Noise for best gain (although there is one exception).

I don't know what that means, but I'll keep it in mind. The combat is still press turn, right?

Caladrius

I think it's my fault, I kind of fell off the wagon with updating it.

And I'm supposed to do the Lunar article, too.

Didn't know you were a contributor. Stuff happens.

Gale is boss, Heat a shit

(Seriously though Serph/Argilla/Gale is probably the best team for most situations)

Master the element opposite of the character's starting elemental affinity.
Serph should learn fire, Argilla should learn wind, Gale should learn electric and heat should learn ice. The final part of an elemental branch will give you a resistance skill to that element (i.e. wind branch has resist wind) Sera and Roland in the sequel should likewise learn fire and earth.

You should also get healing on one or two of your party members.

Mitama mantra is pointless, wait for the one that gives you Mutual Karma to unlock.

As a last note, if you plan on playing New Game+ or Hard mode in the sequel, master as many mantras as humanly possible.

Seda

I don't know what that means, but I'll keep it in mind. The combat is still press turn, right?

Yes, still press turn. There's no demon fusion as you have a set cast of characters. Like in Persona 3/4, certain characters have a certain elemental affinity.

Basically you spend money to acquire skills (really you shouldn't spend money on much else), and you can 'equip' certain skills to your characters. Eventually you can acquire elemental resistance skills, which can negate weaknesses.

nynt9

Didn't know you were a contributor. Stuff happens.

Gale is boss, Heat a shit

(Seriously though Serph/Argilla/Gale is probably the best team for most situations)

Master the element opposite of the character's starting elemental affinity.
Serph should learn fire, Argilla should learn wind, Gale should learn electric and heat should learn ice. The final part of an elemental branch will give you a resistance skill to that element (i.e. wind branch has resist wind)

You should also get healing on one or two of your party members.

Sera and Roland in the sequel should likewise learn fire and earth.

Mitama mantra is pointless, wait for the one that gives you Mutual Karma to unlock.

As a last note, if you plan on playing New Game+ or Hard mode in the sequel, master as many mantras as humanly possible.

Ok this sounds like a lot of useful concrete advice, thanks.

G-Fex

I'm going to start Nocturne today which I haven't played for a few years.

Any tips rather than me opening up a big text file in gamefaqs?

Seda

One last thing, there are some dialog choices that can swap one playable party character for another (late) in the sequel, as well as one dialogue choice that will gain a character another skill (in the sequel). Additionally, defeating secret bosses will unlock accessories for DDS2. However, the optional 'superboss' is only available on a second playthrough of DDS1.

Caladrius

As Seda said, dialogue choices have concrete effects in the sequel.

Thankfully the first answer is always the best one. (Except in one instance in the Sequel)

Basically if it seems like the typical good guy answer take it.

No problem. As a final note I'd go for magic on Serph as opposed to a Phys build.

While phys does have the benefit of crits and few resistors, Magic determines both Mag defense and attack, so if you want anything resembling longevity for Serph you're going to have to do some Magic investment no matter what, so you may as well maximize your gains. As long as you put a little bit of points into vitality on occasion Serph should be a consummate party member. (Mine had maxed magic in the late 30's, so I was able to invest in vitality in the rest of the game until he was nearly indestructible.)

Agility and luck aren't that big of a deal if you're using magic. (agility seems to affect phys more than magic for some dumb reason) I barely put any points into them (and even then I usually did it through incenses) and I had zero trouble with hitting enemies, and death/expel are easily neutered if you get the void skills and take appropriate caution.

I'm going to start Nocturne today which I haven't played for a few years.

Any tips rather than me opening up a big text file in gamefaqs?

Get fog breath and tornado as soon as you can, go for a Phys build.

Jack Frost has dark might. Fuse him onto as many demons as you can to get it.

Well damn, DDS really got better on most fronts halfway through. Overall, it's probably still not a good game, but I guess the sequel might still be a winner, since it's supposed to improve even further and actually use it's potential.

Nimby

Banned
So, I got to the big decision point in SMT IV, and I am torn beyond belief. Do any of the paths just outright suck? That's what I'm most worried about, without spoilers of course.

Caladrius

Well damn, DDS really got better on most fronts halfway through. Overall, it's probably still not a good game, but I guess the sequel might still be a winner, since it's supposed to improve even further and actually use it's potential.

The only real dark spot in the latter portion of the game is the Karma Temple. They fall back on the teleporters from the first half (though the mazes do actually make some intuitive sense and are shorter than the previous ones. Doesn't make up for their quantity though.) and it's at least 3 hours in length.

So, I got to the big decision point in SMT IV, and I am torn beyond belief. Do any of the paths just outright suck? That's what I'm most worried about, without spoilers of course.

Law is terribad, Chaos is okay, Neutral is marred by excessive questing and lack of direction and nothingness cuts the game short. Pretty lose-lose either way unfortunately.

The end-game is the biggest failing of SMT4 to me. (I ultimately liked the game quite a lot, but the quality of the endgame is nowhere near up to snuff compared to everything that came before it.)

PK Gaming

It depends. Do you like wandering Tokyo and doing quests? (I'm not being sarcastic btw). If so, get your ass on the neutral route.

Otherwise, avoid the Law path like the plague and stick with Chaos.

having played only P4G, what is the next step to get into the more "hardcore" SMT games?
You could go with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, or Digital Devil Saga. Frankly, most games in the franchise are more hardcore in the sense that they are less story driven.

kubinsky

You could go with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, or Digital Devil Saga. Frankly, most games in the franchise are more hardcore in the sense that they are less story driven.

have to wait for september to play SMT4, but i think i just import strange journey. I really like my rpgs on handhelds :)

gngf123

have to wait for september to play SMT4, but i think i just import strange journey. I really like my rpgs on handhelds :)

There's also Soul Hackers on 3DS, which isn't mainline but is generally a pretty great game and a lot easier than Strange Journey is. The downside is that a few gameplay elements can feel dated to some people (it is originally a Sega Saturn game after all). That didn't bother me, but SJ is the better option if you feel like it could bother you.

BlackJace

The only thing that pissed me off about SH's system is the Magnetite, and instant game over via main character death.

Everything else still holds up.

PK Gaming

The only thing that pissed me off about SH's system is the Magnetite, and instant game over via main character death.

Everything else still holds up.

The trick to conserving Magnetite is only summon/using demons during boss fights. You can get through random encounters with just Nemissa and Zoma. (Sometimes you'll need to bust out a demon when you're underlevelled, but for the most part those 3 will do)

By the time I got to the endgame, I had more Magnetite than I could possibly use, haha.

cj_iwakura

The trick to conserving Magnetite is only summon/using demons during boss fights. You can get through random encounters with just Nemissa and Zoma. (Sometimes you'll need to bust out a demon when you're underlevelled, but for the most part those 3 will do)

By the time I got to the endgame, I had more Magnetite than I could possibly use, haha.

You can also get rich absurdly fast by trading it in at the energy center.

BlackJace

The latter's in everything, though. Even P3&4.
Yeah, I've learned to get over it. I was so happy when IV didn't have it.

I was stubborn, and always wanted to roll around with a squad of demons. You're right in that endgame makes it a non issue.

Refyref

Magnetite wasn't a problem for me. If I happen to start to run out, which can happen if I convert a lot of it to money, I just run alone a few minutes in the Sea Ark and get enough for quite a while. It's not like it's a bother, even, due to the incredibly fast battles. (If you set it to fast, that is.)

No, the graphics don't hold up, ya gotta not roll deep and CYOA cuz this is Megaten.

I like the game's graphics a lot, myself.

PK Gaming

So did anyone else think that the O.E.A in SH was goddamn hilarious?

The idea of using the title of Organic Energy Association as a cover is just incredibly funny. And that shop keeper.

Organic_Energy_Association_Shopkeeper_DSSH.png

Look at this guy. Seriously just look at him. He's clearly a demon, and it's perfect.

And that music.

And his voice acting.

God, I love the O.E.A

Refyref

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/0...y-okada-made-poker-game-konami-turned-series/

So I guess that's where he disappeared off to. Sigh.

The idea of using the title of Organic Energy Association as a cover is just incredibly funny. And that shop keeper.

Look at this guy. Seriously just look at him. He's clearly a demon, and it's perfect.

And that music.

And his voice acting.

God, I love the O.E.A

Yea. He's actually also present in the original Devil Summoner. Well, I guess it's not exactly the same one, just a different branch.

Nimby

Banned
So, I want to know how much of SMT IV is left. I actually don't *think* I've gotten to point where I choose my path? Maybe? But spoilers:

I just fought Yamato-Takeru and the world is destroyed apparently. So was the path choice where I chose to fight Lilith or invade the Yamato Perpectual Reactor, or is that down the road?

And that music.

And his voice acting.

God, I love the O.E.A

He's seriously my favorite shopkeeper in Soul Hackers, and probably my favorite in the entire SMT franchise as well. In fact, I've been meaning to choose a more permenant Avatar since Leaf was just a placeholder. Thank you for helping me make that choice :p

Caladrius

So, I want to know how much of SMT IV is left. I actually don't *think* I've gotten to point where I choose my path? Maybe? But spoilers:

I just fought Yamato-Takeru and the world is destroyed apparently. So was the path choice where I chose to fight Lilith or invade the Yamato Perpectual Reactor, or is that down the road?

The path split is
After the end of infernal Tokyo.
It'll be extremely blatant.

Top Bottom