• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |EU OT| Atlus Shrugged

Zornica

Banned
Build hints and recommendations:

carloslol.gif

thanks, I think I'll go for the gun build, sounds the most fun. Not sure what I'm supposed to do until I get a gun though.

btw: for people who were looking to buy eshop money from the internet (which always proofs to be quite difficult)
If you are from Germany, Austria or the UK, you can buy eshop prepaid cards directly from paypal!

https://www.paypal-gifts.com/de/
https://www.paypal-gifts.com/at/
https://www.paypal-gifts.com/uk/

Zweizer

Banned
Downloading now. I should add some more cash for the DLC as well. Are the non-stories DLC worth it? (I don't mind grinding a bit so if they only allow for faster money/exp I'm not really interested)

ramyeon

Started downloading right on the hour when it realised and it's still only 60% done. Need that increased wireless speed of the New 3DS already.

daydream

Banned
So, how easy is it to keep track of all the quests and whatnot? I like to go for 100% and I'm asking myself if I'll need to consult a guide to not miss anything.

Referring to everything but the endings here.

Jisgsaw

So, how easy is it to keep track of all the quests and whatnot? I like to go for 100% and I'm asking myself if I'll need to consult a guide to not miss anything.

Referring to everything but the endings here.

Well there are a few (<5) allignement dependant sidequests. I think most are NG+ exclusive though.
I'm not sur if you can even miss the other sidequests, so you should be fine without a guide. Some quest descriptions are a bit obstuse though, so you could search a whil for what you have to do/where you have to go to complete the quest without a guide.

My connection can usually download 2 gigs in less than 15 minutes, this is the first time I'm buying a 3DS game from the eshop, this is some annoying shit.
Well, we've waited over a year already...

daydream

Banned
Well there are a few (<5) allignement dependant sidequests. I think most are NG+ exclusive though.
I'm not sur if you can even miss the other sidequests, so you should be fine without a guide. Some quest descriptions are a bit obstuse though, so you could search a whil for what you have to do/where you have to go to complete the quest without a guide.

Thanks, sounds like going in without a walkthrough for the first playthrough is fine then, cool! Wonder what I'm ending I'm gonna get, heh.

So there's streetpass for the game where basically the amount of times you streetpass gives you better demon fusion, Europeans are so screwed there...well here's the demon streetpass fusion list:
According to the Compete Guide, the result depends on your level and number of times streetpassed. It can be any demon that falls under those two categories, but it can't be more than 5 levels higher than you. Also, each one comes with a bonus skill. Here's the list.

available from start:
Centaur (lv 1 - Hard Worker)
Napaea (lv 2 - Trafuri)
Angel (lv 3 - Healing Knowhow)
Pele (lv 6 - Hard Worker)
Jack the Ripper (lv 9 - Hell Mask)
Spriggan (lv 11 - Attack Knowhow)
Shiisaa (lv 14 - Fog Breath)
Jack Frost (lv 15 - Speed Lesson)
Ictinike (lv 18 - War Cry)
Pyro Jack (lv 19 - Speed Lesson)

available after streetpassing at least 5 times:
Take-Minakata (lv 21 - Hell Mask)
Nata Taishi (lv 24 - Acid Breath)
Parvati (lv 25 - Workaholic)
Baldur (lv 29 - Life Surge)
Setanta (lv 32 - Workaholic)
Samyaza (lv 32 - Mana Surge)
Lailah (lv 35 - Invitation)
Yoshitsune (lv 36 - Life Surge)
Nekomata (lv 37 - Beastly Reaction)
Victor (lv 40 - Mana Surge)

available after streetpassing at least 10 times:
Prometheus (lv 41 - Ally Retaliate)
Lanling Wang (lv 43 - Hell Mask)
Nadja (lv 47 - Trafuri)
Lord Nan Dou (lv 48 - Acid Breath)
Jeanne D'Arc (lv 49 - Ally Retaliate)
Illuyanka (lv 51 - Awaken)
Baihu (lv 52 - Beastly Reaction)
Hagen (lv 55 - Killing Joy)
Orthrus (lv 57 - War Cry)
Girimehkala (lv 59 - Fog Breath)

available after streetpassing at least 15 times:
Erthys (lv 8 - Repel Elec)
Aeros (lv 12 - Repel Force)
Aquans (lv 16 - Repel Ice)
Flaemis (lv 20 - Repel Fire)
Gnome (lv 24 - Drain Elec)
Sylph (lv 28 - Drain Force)
Undine (lv 32 - Drain Ice)
Salamander (lv 36 - Drain Fire)
Abaddon (lv 64 - Repel Gun)
Rama (lv 74 - Repel Phys)

available after streetpassing at least 20 times:
Siegfried (lv 61 - Enduring Soul)
Beiji Weng (lv 64 - Megidolaon)
Hanuman (lv 66 - Agility Lesson)
Barong (lv 69 - Debilitate)
Quetzalcoatl (lv 69 - Draconic Reaction)
Cerberus (lv 72 - Enduring Soul)
Heimdall (lv 73 - Agility Lesson)
Tzitzimitl (lv 75 - Luster Candy)
Maya (lv 77 - Debilitate)
Hachiman (lv 80 - Great Logos)

available after streetpassing at least 25 times:
Surt (lv 81 - Luster Candy)
Laksmi (lv 82 - Salvation)
Metatron (lv 83 - Victory Cry)
Seth (lv 85 - Killing Joy)
Huang Di (lv 86 - Anticthon)
Chi You (lv 87 - High Phys Pleroma)
Susano-o (lv 88 - Drain Phys)
Vishnu (lv 89 - Drain Gun)
Mot (lv 89 - Awaken)
Samael (lv 90 - Draconic Reaction)

I bought a 25€ prepaid card earlier and it turns out it expired some time ago. I called Nintendo's service hotline and they promised me to send me another code. Within a week lmao.

fml

Larsa

This download is soooo slooow, holy shit. Pretty excited for this even though it's hard not to be bitter after waiting so long. At least the price alleviates it a bit.

Woof, that thread title. Really twisting the knife there. Other than that, good OT.

I still haven't finished the game so maybe I'll play along side you EU friends.

aravuus

Looks like the demons aren't exclusive but the ability up on the list are exclusive to the streetpass demons =/

98%!!!!!

... Ugh. I doubt the skills are anything vital or even that good really, but still... Ugh

80% here, really speeding up now

e: as soon as i said that it seemed to slow down considerably lol

DLC information:
There are 2 Free DLCs (one is a limited time):
Visage pack (12 blocks) = 3 Delivery challenge;
White Samurai Apparel (10 blocks and limited time free offer) = 3 delivery challenge which rewards you armour pieces for the white samurai set;
Experience of the Afterlife is £1.19 (12 blocks) = bonus experience giving items and unlocks the Fairy Oread for fusion.

omlet

... Ugh. I doubt the skills are anything vital or even that good really, but still... Ugh

They're not vital. Convenient, yes.

I felt a wave of disgust when the game unlocked/explained the streetpass stuff to me (because I hardly ever get the chance to streetpass anyone, much less someone playing the same kind of 3DS games I play), but in retrospect I don't feel like lack of streetpassing has held me back.

walnuts

How is the game running? Any problems downloading? Is everything? I will arrive home in the next 3 hours and would like to know if you guys had any problems.

Shiina

Thanks for this! ...but man I'm still not sure which build to go for =_=
As its up I may as well go and dl it off the eShop now ;D

From personal experience: magic is better for the majority of the game and guns overtake magic for the endgame (DLC) content.

Zornica

Banned
From personal experience: magic is better for the majority of the game and guns overtake magic for the endgame (DLC) content.

so basically what you are saying is: aiming for a gun built is mostly pointless?
I'm not planing on buying any dlc...
just over 50% done downloading :/

Soulhouf

thanks, I think I'll go for the gun build, sounds the most fun. Not sure what I'm supposed to do until I get a gun though.

Physical attack skills use the same attributes as guns so I recommend having these no matter what.
And there are one Almighty Physical skill too which is TBH by far the most devastating skill in the game.

Zareka

Ok, quick question for anyone who's already played this. I've been on and off this game for months because, well, I'm getting trashed and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm level 30 and the past two domain bosses I've tried to fight nuke me in seconds. I just loaded up a save, found myself standing outside a domain door and got 1 turn KO'd by
Erikonig
. I don't know how I check demon levels because I either forgot or am dumb.

Any tips for what I should be doing right now? The last thing I remember is (genuine spoilers)
the woman in the red dress sacrificing herself to weaken another demon

JerkShep

Once I hear everything is good and there are no game breaking bugs added as a gift for the long wait I'll buy it. Better safe than sorry.

Holden

i just copy pasted the "Nintendo 3DS" file of my SD card on a PC

i can safely remove games now on my 3DS and that file will still have my games right?

file of this game is so big ><

Also if i already bought a game from the eshop, can i redownload later it for free?

Soulhouf

Ok, quick question for anyone who's already played this. I've been on and off this game for months because, well, I'm getting trashed and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm level 30 and the past two domain bosses I've tried to fight nuke me in seconds. I just loaded up a save, found myself standing outside a domain door and got 1 turn KO'd by
Erikonig

Any tips for what I should be doing right now? The last thing I remember is (genuine spoilers)

These 2 bosses are optional, so come back later if you can't beat them.
As for what to do:
Did you beat Xi Wangmu? The boss that woman sacrificed herself to help you beat it.
If you did, the barrier is gone and you can finally go to Ikebukuro bookstore.

Shiina

so basically what you are saying is: aiming for a gun built is mostly pointless?
I'm not planing on buying any dlc...
just over 50% done downloading :/

Well physical builds certainly work. I just wouldn't call them optimal for the non-postgame content.
The reason for that is basically that almost every boss has an elemental weakness and exploiting said weaknesses means getting more turns (more turns = more damage, healing, buffs etc.). Gun/phys weaknesses are rare so the only way to get more turns with a phys build is to get more critical hits, which takes luck (literally and figuratively).
The reason why gun builds overtake magical builds in endgame is that the DLC bosses (and a few non DLC bosses at the end) react very allergic to you trying to exploit their weaknesses (or trying to use an almighty attack) with almighty spam and similarly dangerous stuff. Ergo the best way to defeat those is with gun attacks that crit a lot.

That shouldn't keep you from doing a physical build for the non DLC content if that's what you think is fun, though.

Erikonig

He's level 75. You're not supposed to fight him that early, though I believe it's possible with the right demons.

Yeah so

A trash mob practically one-hitted me in the tutorial dungeon.

This gonna be a fun ride lmao.

Like in pretty much every MegaTen game the beginning is the most difficult part. I remember dying a bunch of times when I had to fill my party with demons for the first time.

Top Bottom