• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Sleepy

Just to make you feel bad.

Yeah, that's what I thought. They tell us to learn to use the save, to reset if something goes wrong, and then they rub our noses in it like a bad doggie.

Demons are jerks. Learn to say no. Never give money or items other than life stones. Ending a talk can sometimes have a greater effect than bribing.

This is soooooo true...so far. I have found recruitment much easier if I tell them to fuck off.

scy

I'm becoming convinced that your "ally" only exists to make fights harder. Boss debuffed and party buffed? Time to make him smirk! ;__;

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This is soooooo true...so far. I have found recruitment much easier if I tell them to fuck off.

It rarely works for me. I have much more luck giving them what they want. I only refuse them if they want an absurd amount of money or a rare item (which comes up often enough that I can say I've tried it quite a few times!)

Rhodan

Neo Member
Actually they are at certain relic locations and the quest specific relic is guarded by a demon that has their own demon domain.

Beat it to get it.

You might be thinking of a different quest, this is the one for the relics such as
TV, Power Cable, Computer, Refrigerator
and at least the one item I've gotten definitely didnt come from a demon domain but a random relic spawn.

Rhodan

Neo Member
It rarely works for me. I have much more luck giving them what they want. I only refuse them if they want an absurd amount of money or a rare item (which comes up often enough that I can say I've tried it quite a few times!)

Same here, although I've noticed (Spoiler about a certain demon race, just in case)
Brutes in particular tend to respond to you refusing them, which makes sense thematically

Jessicat

Anyone know of an inverse fusion search thing? I have a Drake type with a skill I want to put on a Genma type, need to figure out what the shortest fusion chain for that would be [also because I don't wanna fuse and resummon my Narcissus if I don't have to XD]

magnetic

People who love the Demonica design from Strange Journey won't have to wait long to be really, really happy.

The environments are also incredibly good looking, very atmospheric. The whole cave part at the beginning was kinda okay, but I'm happy it didn't take long at all to really widen the scope.

And man, the music. SO good. I know people were a bit worried that the combination of handheld game + reused sprites would indicate a low-budget production, but everything feels incredibly well made. I haven't been bored even for a second so far - every few minutes something new comes up, to the point that I can barely process everything.

Teknoman

Sandman is actually pretty evil. Had no idea that they were supposed to scoop out the eyes of bad children who wouldnt sleep.

Whats up with demons having alignments? Makes it easier to recruit depending on your path?

Jessicat

Wait, you can get Tetrakarn early on? Which demons have it? I've been looking for one since mid-20s
If you find out I wanna know too; outside of fluke skill transforms, the lowest level demon is a type that can't be fused [and is apparently weak to phys XD] and if it can be found wild, I think you need demonolingual to talk to it, sooo yea.
It's an Enigma race demon called Kanbari, lv 27. Never seen it, it just shows up in a list of demons in the guidebook ^^;

I have never been too bothered by the 3DS XL's battery life, but it always seems to die just as I'm getting back into the groove after beating a boss playing SMT IV.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I was shocked to see my low battery light turn on with my 3DS yesterday. Weird.

Hooray for finally finding a faster way to move!

Demon negotiation can be so random. I just ran into a Kikimora and my conversation went like this:

Kikimora: I head samurai like to commit seppuku. Could you give me a demonstration.

Me: Uh, no thanks.

Kikimora: Oh, right, I forgot about the beheading. I guess I need to do that for you, huh?

*joins*

Er... OK!

Vamphuntr

If you find out I wanna know too; outside of fluke skill transforms, the lowest level demon is a type that can't be fused [and is apparently weak to phys XD] and if it can be found wild, I think you need demonolingual to talk to it, sooo yea.
It's an Enigma race demon called Kanbari, lv 27. Never seen it, it just shows up in a list of demons in the guidebook ^^;

I used Avatar Makami lvl 32 to get Tetrakarn (fused Senri Nymph X Inugami Beast to get it)

The Enigma you are talking about is a special three membered fusion and you need Gaki lvl 12 x Mamedanuki lvl 15 x Mou-Ryo Lvl 24 according to the wiki.

Demon negotiation can be so random. I just ran into a Kikimora and my conversation went like this:

Kikimora: I head samurai like to commit seppuku. Could you give me a demonstration.

Kikimora: Oh, right, I forgot about the beheading. I guess I need to do that for you, huh?

*joins*

Er... OK!

If memory serves, the beheading in a ritual seppuku is supposed to be done by an ally, friend or subordinate officer of the person committing suicide. It's a sign of respect, to ensure the person doesn't suffer.

Sleepy

Sometimes if I don't give them anything they ask for they just get pissed an leave, which is much better than them getting a free shot at me.

duckroll

*joins*

Er... OK!

If I were you, I would be careful about letting someone like that in my party! >_<

CSX

*joins*

Er... OK!

Here's one I had

Demon : "Why do you want me?"

Me : I like how you smell.

Demon : You could smell my fart!? Wait you know that demon girls can't fart...I'll join you if u don't tell anyone about this.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So..I'm getting this tonight, and now that some of you have had it for 3 days (or more, you lucky swine), give me some pointers.

Be patient. Save often. Talk to demons. Learn how the combat mechanics work.

Also give the strategy guide that comes with the game a look if you need hints on how to defeat the first couple bosses.

Also, enjoy!

khaaan

How free should I be when giving lifestones? It seems like a precious resource but at the same time I've had better luck in recruiting when I do so.

Vice

So..I'm getting this tonight, and now that some of you have had it for 3 days (or more, you lucky swine), give me some pointers.

Exploit your opponents weaknesses and buff your party. You enemy will do the same.

Don't make a party that all have the same weakness.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How free should I be when giving lifestones? It seems like a precious resource but at the same time I've had better luck in recruiting when I do so.

I always give them away since they are so easy to find. I have like 50 right now and barely use them other than during negotiating.

I'm glad the game sticks with the atmosphere of 1 and 2 (post apocalyptic world inhabited by humans struggling to survive and demons) rather than 3 (destroyed world that's devoid of humans). Makes Tokyo a lot more alive. Same reason why I dig Persona 1's atmosphere.

Samyy

I never drop below 40 lifestones, just throw them at demons
Is this games story connected to the older ones? Kinda interested in reading about them if so.

Varna

Game was off to a good start but it just crossed over into another level of awesome once I got to
Tokyo
. This is some really good stuff now. Just exploring the areas now and this game is oozing atmosphere. They are not shy about letting you figure things out on your own either.

EDIT: So it's looking like this game is taking place
some time after the bombs dropped in SMT 1. Or is it SMT 2? Everything looks fairly modern so that leads me to believe it's the former.
I hope to see some familiar faces.

katkombat

Banned
Be patient. Save often. Talk to demons. Learn how the combat mechanics work.

Also give the strategy guide that comes with the game a look if you need hints on how to defeat the first couple bosses.

Also, enjoy!

Exploit your opponents weaknesses and buff your party. You enemy will do the same.

Don't make a party that all have the same weakness.

thanks guys.

When you level up dont distribute your points out evenly, focus on something. It can get a little bit hard if you're all balanced.

thanks! could you help me with this a bit, like, what should i distrib. my points into etc.?

Dresden

You either pump up magic/agi/luck or dex/agi/luck. Unless there's more conclusive evidence that str affects things beyond regular attacks and a marginal portion of physical skill damage, it's useless.

Don't get too attached to demons. Just fuse them away once they learn all the skills they can.

I regularly found myself fusing demons of my level only to fuse them again the second I get them. Whenever I have 3-4 slots open, I always start recruiting demons in case I need to fuse something again. In previous games, I remember fusing demons every now and then and sticking with them since they were much less exendable than in IV.

katkombat

Banned
People say magic is better.

I'm focusing on magic/agility.

You either pump up magic/agi/luck or dex/agi/luck. Unless there's more conclusive evidence that str affects things beyond regular attacks and a marginal portion of physical skill damage, it's useless.

Thanks a lot guys.

edit:
Kinda wish we had a spoiler topic for freely discussing spoilers :p

I'LL MAKE ONE!

or any of you can

Varna

need help w the point distribution too

im always pumping STR.. lol

You want agility to get the first turn in. Much better for planning some kind of strategy. I don't think pumping STR is a bad idea, just make sure you have some demons to cover other areas.

Personally I'm doing AGI > LUCK > STR > DEX and I'm having my character roll with buffs and healing spell and Energy drain (not sure if I will keep the last one. So far it's been useful).

Top Bottom