• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Yeah I usually pumped everything into Magic, Agility and Dex. I keep Magic the highest though. Agility is the second highest, Dex the third and everything else closely trailing Dex.

If you like physical attacks though you can go for a build in that. I'm no expert but I'm sure people here can help.

Phionoxx

New to the series. Never played either SMT or Persona games. Figured this would be a good place to jump in.

I've been reading the last couple posts about newcomers tips, is there a wiki or anything like that out there that goes into detail about the game systems? Thanks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
New to the series. Never played either SMT or Persona games. Figured this would be a good place to jump in.

I've been reading the last couple posts about newcomers tips, is there a wiki or anything like that out there that goes into detail about the game systems? Thanks.

You can use the strategy guide that comes with the game. Also, yes, this is a fantastic starting point for the franchise. It's gonna be hard, but very satisfying.

I never drop below 40 lifestones, just throw them at demons
Is this games story connected to the older ones? Kinda interested in reading about them if so.

Nope. There are references and easter eggs pointed at past games yes but it's not connect. SMT IV like SMT III was/is it's own universe.

Yuterald

How many times can you stack the buff spells in this game? I believe you could stack 4 in Nocturne if I remembered correctly. Also, is there a way to tell when you have a buff/debuff on your character/demon? I don't see any symbols anywhere. =/

katkombat

Banned
so...who's up for the spoiler thread?

can i make it or would that be frowned upon (considering i don't own the game just yet), and do i need graphics and such?

edit: eff it, im going for it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I have a magi/dex/agi/luck build going on. At level 38(ish), I have 84 MAG, 57 luck, 55 agi, and 40 Dex(str 18); ballpark. Fairly well balanced and my magic attacks do about 300+ on weakness attacks. I find the ridiculous one sidedness as far as magic, Ie 200 mag and everything else in the tens, to be odd.

Volcynika

I finally beat the first major boss! Hooray!

Only to get wiped by the second major boss. Sadness.

At least I know how to approach this boss at least when I start it up again.

Mupod

training challenge 6 is annoying as hell. You basically need to predict which random-ass way the AI will react to your party compositions, and the actual solution makes no sense whatsoever. Just trial and error.

I liked fire emblem awakening A LOT (because I like strategy board games like stratego), but I haven't really played any other JRPG's besides zelda ( if that even counts).... I haven't really had much experience in the genre. Should I get this?

I liked fire emblem awakening A LOT (because I like strategy board games like stratego), but I haven't really played any other JRPG's besides zelda ( if that even counts).... should I get this?

Hard to say when you haven't played many. It's like saying you like Basketball and Tennis and asking if you'd like Football. They all have balls but are played differently. I'd say go for it, you may like it or you may not. That 30$ deal with Club Nintendo is worth the risk imo.

Vamphuntr

Since no one answered my questions about alignments (you guys are so mean T.T). I found the answer myself. Depending on the path you take, you get different fusion unlocks and pieces of equipment. Some quests will also be missed/deactivated since some locations are inaccessible depending on the path. Neutral is the hardest alignment to get.

They also explain here how the the decisions are tallied up. I didn't read much because I don't want to learn SPOILERS but you can find it here.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I liked fire emblem awakening A LOT (because I like strategy board games like stratego), but I haven't really played any other JRPG's besides zelda ( if that even counts).... I haven't really had much experience in the genre. Should I get this?

Yes, so you can be ready for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. I'd also strongly suggest you to check Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2, which is more similar to FE.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Talking with Horkos:
He asked me what he should eat. I told him he should eat himself. So he did! And he died.

MechaX

Well, I'm just really overwhelmed. I feel like SMT4 was made for me. It's a lot of factors but I'll be sad when the game ends, for sure.

Coming from someone who didn't really like SJ all that much, and only played SMT I and II for completionists' sake, that's the general feeling I'm getting from this too. After getting into
Tokyo
, I said to myself "now this is Shin Megami Tensei." I haven't said that since Nocturne. Plus it has so much optional bosses through quests, plus a challenging game system that really motivates me to take such quests.

I have to pry myself away from playing it each time, but this might be one of the better games in the entire series (spin-offs included) if it keeps up this pace.

So I'm on training exercise II and getting pretty frustrated. Just gave a demon a life stone and 80 macca and then he ran away. Earlier gave a demon a life stone and macca and mp and it died on the first turn afterwards....

Am I doing something wrong or is this quest going to take hours?

Busaiku

Wait, what the heck?!

In Ikebukuro...
Is that really it for Kaga?! She was around for like 5 minutes...
Did I do something wrong, was there other stuff I should've done before Xi Wangmu?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm on training exercise II and getting pretty frustrated. Just gave a demon a life stone and 80 macca and then he ran away. Earlier gave a demon a life stone and macca and mp and it died on the first turn afterwards....

Am I doing something wrong or is this quest going to take hours?

Some demons are assholes. But soon you'll become better at recruiting demons.

Jessicat

Tokyo challenge quest problem;
I can't find the Insane Hoard demons I need to kill, Shinjuku is a big place ._.; Help? I've already killed 2 domain demons that were an insanely higher level than me along the way, and I can't find many other places on the map to enter

*edit* oh, it's in a place where I did another quest, lame. Well I found it now at least. Agilao time! XD

Vamphuntr

Err spoiler direction halp question

I just did the crowd horde quest in Shinjuku and beat the boss. I need a card or something from a guard but I can't leave Shinjuku? From the main area gate I can't see/find a way back Shinjuku Main East Entrance. Am I blind?

I'm not sure I understand your question and you should really spoiler it better. At least mention the area or else people might not highlight it at all.

By the boss you mean the hunter that took the red pill? After you beat that you go to the bar and talk to the bartender and he'll tell you to talk to the Ashura-Kai guy to the west guarding the shutter. He'll give you the quest to get the talisman required to unlock the next station. You can go back easily, the entrance is a staircase going down in the first area. It might not appear on your map if you never entered it to go back to base from this side.

CSX

Got a demon with Energy Drain that absorbs HP and mp from enemy

*proceeds to grind till demon whisper *

Aeana

Wow, that was fun. I came across a domain that had a level 75 boss at the end,
Erlkonig
. I fully expected to get rocked, but I thought I'd give it a serious try, even though my hero is only level 27 and my demons are a fair bit lower. He's always weak to fire in every game he appears in, so I knew what to try. A bunch of agilaos and some sukukajas in the first turn, I braced for attacks, but he missed almost all of them. I won before the end of the second round. Awesome.

Erlkonig
. I fully expected to get rocked, but I thought I'd give it a serious try, even though my hero is only level 27 and my demons are a fair bit lower. He's always weak to fire in every game he appears in, so I knew what to try. A bunch of agilaos and some sukukajas in the first turn, I braced for attacks, but he missed almost all of them. I won before the end of the second round. Awesome.

What, really? I gave up when I saw his goddamn level, I'll try doing the same rofl.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Erlkonig

What, really? I gave up when I saw his goddamn level, I'll try doing the same rofl.

Same happened with me not too long ago. Did not expect to win, but figured I had nothing to lose.

Teknoman

Erlkonig

Straight up lucky. Then again, the game told me Long was a more powerful enemy than I was ready, and I cut right through it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I reached Ueno before going to bed last night. The way the game opened up at the point almost chased away the sleepiness. I don't think I deserve this game. ;-;

Anyhow, I came here to ask about Fundraiser-- How much money are you guys getting with this app?

Erlkonig
Awesome.
KuGsj.gif

Btw, do the same buff/debuffs stack or is it like Persona?

Conezays

How many challenge quests are you guys doing? I see I have a few I can do right now or continue along the main quest to new, cool areas. Bah.

Decisions, decisions.

KuGsj.gif

Aeana

I reached Ueno before going to bed last night. The way the game opened up at the point almost chased away the sleepiness. I don't think I deserve this game. ;-;

Anyhow, I came here to ask about Fundraiser-- How much money are you guys getting with this app?

Awesome.
KuGsj.gif

They stack 3 times.

Awesome.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, up to 3 times. I love that you can press X to check how many buffs and debuffs your party/enemies have.

Alucrid

Banned

Awesome.
KuGsj.gif

They stack. I think up to three times?

^4

Top Bottom