• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

vall03

People think that
Erlkonig
was difficult? I just spammed Agilao on it, and it went down fast.
Grendel
on the other hand was a different story. That thing hits hard even with full buffs/debuffs and the Crits hurts a lot that I had to retry him a lot. And this was way before I had access to Tetrakarn.

Nexas

Wow, that was fun. I came across a domain that had a level 75 boss at the end,
Erlkonig
. I fully expected to get rocked, but I thought I'd give it a serious try, even though my hero is only level 27 and my demons are a fair bit lower. He's always weak to fire in every game he appears in, so I knew what to try. A bunch of agilaos and some sukukajas in the first turn, I braced for attacks, but he missed almost all of them. I won before the end of the second round. Awesome.

That's what I've been really digging about this game. With proper planning and a little luck you can demons way higher level than you and come out on top. I've managed to score some really good equipment by doing this with some of the challenge quests.

Aeana

People think that
Erlkonig
was difficult? I just spammed Agilao on it, and it went down fast.
Grendel
on the other hand was a different story. That thing hits hard even with full buffs/debuffs and the Crits hurts a lot that I had to retry him a lot. And this was way before I had access to Tetrakarn.
I think the level is just deceptive.

Teknoman

Jealous of my skillz.

lol even more so since I just got my face smashed in by
Minotaur
and danced to death by
David

EDIT: Can you analyze demons mid battle? Also Fallen sure do seem reasonable. So far I negotiated one into my party pretty easily, and another just gave me a quest.

Dresden

Wow, that was fun. I came across a domain that had a level 75 boss at the end,
Erlkonig
. I fully expected to get rocked, but I thought I'd give it a serious try, even though my hero is only level 27 and my demons are a fair bit lower. He's always weak to fire in every game he appears in, so I knew what to try. A bunch of agilaos and some sukukajas in the first turn, I braced for attacks, but he missed almost all of them. I won before the end of the second round. Awesome.

Gonna have to look for that domain. Fire bullets should carry the day.

Nexas

Does anyone know where I'm supposed to find coffee beans? The quest says that they are Shinjuku, but I've looked all over I cannot find anything.

Aeana

You'll wisen up to buffs/debuffs eventually. More demons start coming with them standard, so you'll get to try them out.

Stuck on the final training exercise. I'm assuming I have to
fight the spirit things guarding the chest on the 2nd Stratum?
Indeed.

scy

You'll wisen up to buffs/debuffs eventually. More demons start coming with them standard, so you'll get to try them out.

And/or you can start affording to expand their skill slots and buffs/debuffs just fit in perfectly then.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Indeed.
Yeah, I know how important they are (compared to other RPGs where they're pointless mostly within the main game), I just haven't found anyone with them.

CSX

Got mudoon and hama on my skill set. Hopefully my high luck kicks into gear and I can start instant killing on sight

Should I buy this game? I have been craving a unique JRPG experience, but I just bought Animal Crossing and Pokemon is right around the corner. My main concern is finding time to play the game.

For those that already have it, can you save anywhere? Is the game suited for short bursts of play?

duckroll

Welp. I'm trying to beat the Madness of Phantoms challenge quest in Shinjuku, and I was having a great time beating the Insane Hordes, but the boss at the end just wipes me. No weaknesses, too much HP, and he has Fatal Sword and Blight. RIP. I think I'll just try this shit later. Lol.

totowhoa

Banned
There is save anywhere. I find myself playing in both short and long bursts, but I feel like its more suited for lengthier play sessions... definitely have the option though.

BlackJace

Should I buy this game? I have been craving a unique JRPG experience, but I just bought Animal Crossing and Pokemon is right around the corner. My main concern is finding time to play the game.

For those that already have it, can you save anywhere? Is the game suited for short bursts of play?

You can save anywhere you'd like. As someone looking for a unique JRPG experience, I think you're in for a treat with this. I'm not sure about short bursts of play, though.

I'm only a few hours in, but I can safely say this is one of the better JRPG experiences I've had in a while.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

My friend, you should buy this game. It will keep you occupied until Pokémon comes out.

Delio

This fight in Shinjuku was kicking my butt for a while but I caught the demon wasting a turn to wipe my debuff off himself. Kept doing that so he couldnt act so many times and spam Blight and Fatal Sword.

CSX

Welp. I'm trying to beat the Madness of Phantoms challenge quest in Shinjuku, and I was having a great time beating the Insane Hordes, but the boss at the end just wipes me. No weaknesses, too much HP, and he has Fatal Sword and Blight. RIP. I think I'll just try this shit later. Lol.
Yea I was on life support just trying to get my buffs and debuffs. Once u get those in , its doable. Also boss is a lot easier if u get the first turn against the last horde and u can kill it in one turn. That way u don't waste turn 1 healing against the boss

Delio

Where do i even find the first one to start this? I was looking everywhere.

PK Gaming

Got mudoon and hama on my skill set. Hopefully my high luck kicks into gear and I can start instant killing on sight

Does Luck really affect Hama and Mudo skills? I've got Mahama, and it supposedly has a 30% hit-rate, but it feels like it hits far more often that that.

I hope so, I adore Hama spells <3

Aeana

This fight in Shinjuku was kicking my butt for a while but I caught the demon wasting a turn to wipe my debuff off himself. Kept doing that so he couldnt act so many times and spam Blight and Fatal Sword.
Yep, that was my strategy for that fight. Any debuff will cause it to use dekunda. Pretty exploitable.

So, the Government Office Plaza mission.
Should I have let the demon live, or should I reload and kill it instead?
My party seemed really confused with me after the fight.

Watch Da Birdie

Are the HP and MP Restoration Apps useful, or do they work so slowly they're not worth it?

I'm definately getting the MP App first since I don't like to waste MP restoratives and that's the main reason I often backtrack out of Naraku.

Aeana

Killing it is law, letting it go is chaos. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Are the HP and MP Restoration Apps useful, or do they work so slowly they're not worth it?

I'm definately getting the MP App first since I don't like to waste MP restoratives and that's the main reason I often backtrack out of Naraku.

The MP app has absolutely been worth it for me.

Dresden

For my second playthrough, I think I'll go pure luck.

I
let the demon live because I had more gun skill users than fire spells.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member

I found the MP restoring app to be absolutely incredible. There are three tiers to it, and the third allows your entire party to regenerate MP while walking, as well. Henceforth, I know no longer held back whenever fighting. Spells all day, feels good. I also have a healing spell on my hero, so that negates the need for the HP healing app.

Watch Da Birdie

I found the MP restoring app to be absolutely incredible. There are three tiers to it, and the third allows your entire party to regenerate MP while walking, as well. Henceforth, I know no longer held back whenever fighting. Spells all day, feels good. I also have a healing spell on my hero, so that negates the need for the HP healing app.

Hmm, yeah, I guess if I can restore my MP constantly, I don't need to worry about HP as I can use Dia.

Well, time to invest. Damn, choosing Apps is the most stressful part. :(

Jessicat

I just beat that loser, lol, was driving me crazy too XD Start buffing in-between hitting weakpoints on the last hoarde. Also if you're a high enough level, fuse Makami [he's an Avatar type, lv 32], he knows Tetrakarn[reflect phys/gun attacks for 1 turn] which is lifesaving AND does more damage for you~ Also watch out for Mamudo, and keep a spare Chakra Pot handy if you have one saved from your travels, that skill eats MP. Good luck!

Took me several tries to beat that one. I tried to get as many buffs up before I had to fight the boss and then used my strongest attacks. Everyone died except my MC but it worked eventually lol

katkombat

Banned
This game is nothing short of badass. Loving the futuristic-past feel (I'm sure there's a word for that, just can't think of it.) of the game. Burroughs is badass too.

lol at the character Walter though, I was gonna name my character Walter after Walter White from Breaking Bad...glad I didn't.

Anyways what's up with Issachar? I'm only like 35 mins in but there's no way that guy won't come back.

This game is balls hard as well, if I switch to easy, will it penalize me? Will I get a different ending for being a pussy?

Top Bottom