• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Aeana

This game is nothing short of badass. Loving the futuristic-past feel (I'm sure there's a word for that, just can't think of it.) of the game. Burroughs is badass too.

lol at the character Walter though, I was gonna name my character Walter after Walter White from Breaking Bad...glad I didn't.

Anyways what's up with Issachar? I'm only like 35 mins in but there's no way that guy won't come back.

This game is balls hard as well, if I switch to easy, will it penalize me? Will I get a different ending for being a pussy?

The story doesn't change if you change difficulties, no.

Welp. I'm trying to beat the Madness of Phantoms challenge quest in Shinjuku, and I was having a great time beating the Insane Hordes, but the boss at the end just wipes me. No weaknesses, too much HP, and he has Fatal Sword and Blight. RIP. I think I'll just try this shit later. Lol.

You're going to hate me for this, Ducky...but I killed him using a simple Hama spell. Not even kidding.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If you die twice the option comes up.

There's SMT mode (Normal), easier hard (Easy), and SMT hard (Hard)

And therein lie the problem with me spamming Home > X > A > A instead of sitting through the Charon sequence.
KuGsj.gif

In general I think the game feels unfortunately a but more low budget than I'd like(No cutscene animation!) but the sprite work is great. The animated deaths that Soul Hackers had are neat, liked how the enemy guarding the chase actually had the horde die in bits despite being one enemy.

Edit: Is the free dlc automatically activated after downloading?

khaaan

HAY GUYS! DIDJA KNOW YOU'RE A SAW-MOO-RYE? If you didn't, it's okay. The game seems to remind you in every story segment.

I think I'm finally starting to hit my stride with the game. It's certainly not easy, the few major battles I've had so far (tutorial mission 3, first challenge quest) have wiped out at the very least one person in one hit. That being said, I was able to get through it by taking advantage of their weaknesses. It's really satisfying to take down something so strong while feeling so weak. I'm excited to progress the story to new environments with new demons, just need to find one more of those Gryphon Talon things.

TWILT

Banned
So, I'm at Kiccigiorgi...
Just fought Issachar and "killed" him (I was pressing A too fast before I knew it was a choice >.<). Would his fate have been different if I spared him? Also, I'm trying to go for the neutral path, but I guess choosing to kill him puts me on the chaotic path? :x

PK Gaming

So, I'm at Kiccigiorgi...
Just fought Issachar and "killed" him (I was pressing A too fast before I knew it was a choice >.<). Would his fate have been different if I spared him? Also, I'm trying to go for the neutral path, but I guess choosing to kill him puts me on the chaotic path? :x

No.
He begs you to kill him, and Walter chews you out for not ending his suffering

I figured that was the case. I was just surprised that
Walter didn't have any reaction to me letting it go.

If you kill him
Walter says something to the effect of, "hey was that the right choice?"
And if you let him go
then Johnathan says something about whether letting the demon live was the right choice.

PK Gaming

So...

SMTIVGAF, how long do you plan on using the demon in your avatar? When I get Yoshitsune, I'll try to keep him for as long as possible!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So...

SMTIVGAF, how long do you plan on using the demon in your avatar? When I get Yoshitsune, I'll try to keep him for as long as possible!

I got Kikurihime, and then instantly fused her into something else.

Poor Kikurihime. She was like five levels lower than me when I found her fusion, then found she fused into something better. Also they used the old art. That was disappointing. :<

So should I never put points into Strength or Dex as a magic build user?

Usually have the MC act as a physical based character in SMT games but many people seem to not recommend it here.

Attack being on X, and menu on Y is weird. Wish you could change it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm glad it's not START or SELECT.

Those are the worst buttons to press on the 3DS, especially if you had to push them as much as you'd need to in SMT.

vall03

So...

I'm still waiting for Level 49! Which is still a long ways off! I can grind for it right now but I won't have the money to fuse Alice. Once shes on my team, shes not leaving.

How are people fusing super demons with null stats? Crazy.

Also, exploring Shinjuku is so fun.

I have yet to encounter a demon with a Null ability, but I'm sure they're going to start popping out soon. Also, a lot of the early demons have various Resist skills. Spread those around and you can literally cover all weaknesses of your demons during fusion. Add also how powerful the Search feature is and those skills will be very easy to pass around.

Mupod

So...

I blew past level 38 before I ever saw Pisaca show up on the fusion options, and he's an HP type so he's not even good as an estoma sword bot. I fused him anyways though!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmmm I have mixed feelings about the game so far. This really does feel like a b-tier game compared to some of the others. The best thing in the game so far has been the voice acting. I just finished the first Demon Domain, which getting to that point took a surprising amount of time. The cheap death's in this game seemed even cheaper than I remember than the other games. At the very least you can save anywhere in this game.

The sword attack during roaming mode to pre-iniate a fight is clunky as hell. It is exactly like a b-tier team made it this way and never tested it. A game like Persona 4 has a very good system where it is easy to determine where the enemy is, you can strategize on pre-initaiting it, and the depth of where the enemy is and where your sword lands is excellent. In contrast this game has really bad depth, clunky looking enemy sprites pre-battle, and sword depth that is hard to determine.

The worst part I've experienced and I had seen people complain about this beforehand but didn't think it would be nearly this bad, is the demon recruitment. I just finished playing Soul Hackers before this and the recruiting has never been this bad in any recent SMT I can remember. I was even in a conversation loop with a Chagrin that would never join me even when giving them stuff over in and over and satisfying them with "cheating". What is even the point of getting demonlingual if the demon is just going to ask me to take a survey with the only possible answer is to say you like them the best and then them saying it was a survey for the demon you most loathe. Did the devs even play their game?

The sword attack during roaming mode to pre-iniate a fight is clunky as hell. It is exactly like a b-tier team made it this way and never tested it. A game like Persona 4 has a very good system where it is easy to determine where the enemy is, you can strategize on pre-initaiting it, and the depth of where the enemy is and where your sword lands is excellent. In contrast this game has really bad depth, clunky looking enemy sprites pre-battle, and sword depth that is hard to determine.

It's pretty simple to figure out when to strike though; the red indicator over the demon indicates that it's within sword range. There's some ambushes you can't do anything about, and when a demon gets the initiative it can spell doom, but that's life.

The worst part I've experienced and I had seen people complain about this beforehand but didn't think it would be nearly this bad, is the demon recruitment. I just finished playing Soul Hackers before this and the recruiting has never been this bad in any recent SMT I can remember. I was even in a conversation loop with a Chagrin that would never join me even when giving them stuff over in and over and satisfying them with "cheating". What is even the point of getting demonlingual if the demon is just going to ask me to take a survey with the only possible answer is to say you like them the best and then them saying it was a survey for the demon you most loathe. Did the devs even play their game?

I haven't found demon recruiting to be more difficult than it was in Nocturne. In both games, you have times when you'll give a lot of money and stuff and the demon will run off with it, but then again I've had times when an answer will suddenly cause a demon to jump to my side. They're capricious but, once I got over the initial hump, my overall success rate with negotiation hasn't been bad.

At any rate, this definitely isn't a B-tier game. Especially once you get to Tokyo.

27 hours in, some boss and difficulty discussion spoilers below.
I'm stuck on Pluto at the moment, and overall it feels like the difficulty that was starting to slack off is picking back up again. Tenkai was a complete joke, but the bosses in Ichigaya started to either lack weaknesses completely, or force you to focus on something other than purely abusing them (VR Battle 6 is good foreshadowing of how to take down Omoikane). Pluto has an Almighty skill, Vulnera, that does a decent amount of damage and has a high chance of Bind. This, coupled with Sunny Ray, a Fire skill that also Poisons, is making him very difficult to take down. He can safely stunlock my entire team and them waste them away.

Aeana

I absolutely disagree that the sword swinging is any worse than in Persona 4. It's pretty much exactly as bad. You can enable 3D on the 3DS if the depth is a big issue, though, at least.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I absolutely disagree that the sword swinging is any worse than in Persona 4. It's pretty much exactly as bad. You can enable 3D on the 3DS if the depth is a big issue, though, at least.

It seems worse to me :S

The swords seemed longer in Persona 4. I'll try out that red icon thing mentioned.

^Both sword swings are better than that crappy one in P3. At least in the PS2 P3's you could swap it for a better weapon, sorry P3P guys =/

Heard that demon convo was tied to the Luck stat

Don't feel like this game is any more budget than any of the other 3ds games either.

FrontRelinquish

Neo Member
27 hours in, some boss and difficulty discussion spoilers below.
I'm stuck on Pluto at the moment, and overall it feels like the difficulty that was starting to slack off is picking back up again. Tenkai was a complete joke, but the bosses in Ichigaya started to either lack weaknesses completely, or force you to focus on something other than purely abusing them (VR Battle 6 is good foreshadowing of how to take down Omoikane). Pluto has an Almighty skill, Vulnera, that does a decent amount of damage and has a high chance of Bind. This, coupled with Sunny Ray, a Fire skill that also Poisons, is making him very difficult to take down. He can safely stunlock my entire team and them waste them away.

I just finished Pluto in the mid 50s. Most of the demons there were above my level so I couldn't recruit much throughout the dungeon. As for the boss, I luckily had a demon that nullified fire so when he used Sunny Ray he'd lose a valuable turn. I soaked Vulnera and used a spell that healed the whole party to tide me over. Luckily, three members of my party had ice spells to pummel his weakness, so I was not lacking in turns. He had tons of HP, though.

Top Bottom