• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I find Sword Swinging to be pretty easy...I found that, surprisingly, the best way to do it is to quickly turn around when an enemy is chasing you and swing it.

Alucrid

Banned
Could anyone point me in the right direction? About 11 hours in...
on the Relic Recovery quests and not really sure where to go. I've just been wandering Tokyo.

I just finished Pluto in the mid 50s. Most of the demons there were above my level so I couldn't recruit much throughout the dungeon. As for the boss, I luckily had a demon that nullified fire so when he used Sunny Ray he'd lose a valuable turn. I soaked Vulnera and used a spell that healed the whole party to tide me over. Luckily, three members of my party had ice spells to pummel his weakness, so I was not lacking in turns. He had tons of HP, though.
I actually just beat Pluto now! I had a Null Fire demon to soak up Sunny Ray, and he only used Vulnera once. I'm in the early 50's, so maybe that explained why it was a bit rougher for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
^Both sword swings are better than that crappy one in P3. At least in the PS2 P3's you could swap it for a better weapon, sorry P3P guys =/

Heard that demon convo was tied to the Luck stat

Don't feel like this game is any more budget than any of the other 3ds games either.

Weird I have a MAG main and AgixLuck supporting build. They are all pretty high.

The worst part I've experienced and I had seen people complain about this beforehand but didn't think it would be nearly this bad, is the demon recruitment. I just finished playing Soul Hackers before this and the recruiting has never been this bad in any recent SMT I can remember. I was even in a conversation loop with a Chagrin that would never join me even when giving them stuff over in and over and satisfying them with "cheating". What is even the point of getting demonlingual if the demon is just going to ask me to take a survey with the only possible answer is to say you like them the best and then them saying it was a survey for the demon you most loathe. Did the devs even play their game?

Personally disagree completely.

I had huge issues with recruiting demons with any kind of success in Soul Hackers.

In IV I found it much easier (though not without plenty of failing).

Negotiation seems as random as ever to me, lol. Some really humorous responses this time around though.

Is there any way to get app points other than leveling up?

CSX

Personally disagree completely.

I had huge issues with recruiting demons with any kind of success in Soul Hackers.

In IV I found it much easier (though not without plenty of failing).

I had the complete opposite experience than you lol. I was very successful in Soul Hackers recruiting.

Early game for SMT IV recruiting was brutal but now maybe due to high luck, I been able to recruit a lot more successfully

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I think I got insanely lucky first try with (right before tokyo)
minotaur
. I expected a wall but it might've been the smoothest battle I've had all game.

Went in at level 13 with 3
bufu
users and a buff/healer. He never managed to kill anyone, with the closest being the buff/healer going down to 7 hp. Fight took 4 turns, he ended 2 of them prematurely by missing twice on my smirkers, and I think I answered all the questions with the best effect since I got buffed/he got debuffed.

Really a thrill after dying 12 times during that earlier challenge quest.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Is there any way to increase the difficulty? Or is it only a new game plus thing?

I'm at level 39 now and just completed (shinjuku national park spoilers)
the quest to rescue the 3 vips
and outside of the odd bad luck when demons get the jump on me, I haven't died since reaching Tokyo and rarely even lose a demon when fighting bosses.

I'm probably over levelled since I'm doing all the side quests, but haven't been going out of my way to grind so it's a little annoying to find bosses quite easy =/

Teknoman

Finally took down
Minotaur
. Would have been nice if I had the combo for Wu Kong or Long, but I guess i'll find those down the line. Terminals are going to make things alot easier. As far as walking back and forth goes anyway.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Up until now I've been avoiding buying the Demonlingual app and opting to just create the unintelligible demons through fusions. But I'm running and more and more into them. How crucial is it going forward?

Mupod

Up until now I've been avoiding buying the Demonlingual app and opting to just create the unintelligible demons through fusions. But I'm running and more and more into them. How crucial is it going forward?

I don't think it's crucial at all, but I got it for convenience. I generally recruit everything I can and fuse nonstop just to unlock as many demons as possible, and I get a lot of money and items for doing so.

I have occasionally recruited unintelligible demons through the group recruitment scouting upgrade, but it's fairly unreliable.

Rhodan

Neo Member

I wouldn't say it's crucial but I'm constantly recruiting and fusing so it was incredibly useful for me, just depends how much you rely on recruiting yourself.

29 hours in, I just hit my first major wall since the legendary
Minotaur

Fairly late game boss spoiler:
King Kenji is kicking my ass. I can do pretty well until he starts throwing out ailments and mamudoons, and at that point I just can't keep up.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I just cheesed a mini-boss so hard. He wiped out my entire party, except for Raiju, but since the demon's only attacks were gun and electricity, he was never able to touch him. I beat him in automatic battle.

Dresden

Is there any way to increase the difficulty? Or is it only a new game plus thing?

I'm at level 39 now and just completed (shinjuku national park spoilers)
the quest to rescue the 3 vips
and outside of the odd bad luck when demons get the jump on me, I haven't died since reaching Tokyo and rarely even lose a demon when fighting bosses.

I'm probably over levelled since I'm doing all the side quests, but haven't been going out of my way to grind so it's a little annoying to find bosses quite easy =/

Damn, I think I was level 25 or so for that quest.

Busaiku

I really hate the map system.
It's impossible to tell where I am, and trying to get my bearings in place just gets me an aggressive encounter.
20 hours clocked and I finally have enough money to afford everything I want. Of course, I'm not buying shit, because I'm about halfway done with Shinjuku and my mc is just fine without the current set of armor, but as soon as I hit Ikebukuro, I'm heading for the wares.

Oh, you want to know what's in my wallet? A "measly" 30k macca.

Feels good. Took 20 hours, but feels good.
You're in for a surprise.

Sallokin

I'm so in love with this soundtrack. All the dungeon themes have been great and I'm a fan of all the different battle themes I've heard thus far (~13 hours in). Also that Sdds IV track from the trailer/soundtrack selection disk is hot.

Busaiku

So is there a trick or something to get the Wind Turbine and Coffee Beans?
Or is it just random based on when I check the buildings?
Are they limited to just Shinjuku as well?

Hylian7

Fuck, I always clam up when I can allocate my own stats. What should I be focusing on, generally?

Whatever you want, but generally pick one or two stats, maybe occasionally giving points to the others. Don't put any points in one if you don't plan to use it.

I'm doing a gun-based character, so I have pretty much everything in Dexterity and Agility, with some in Luck, mostly ignoring Strength and Magic.

Dresden

Nothing like getting to a new underground area and realizing that you have no money to buy all the cool stuff for sale. 30k guns . . .

Hylian7

One question about something.

This is not long after you get to Ueno.

There was that bridge with the demons blocking it, and they asked me to bring them the head of P-something (I forget how to spell it). Burroughs didn't register it as a quest though, and I even went to where he should be and he's not there. Is there something else I need to accomplish first or what? I feel like I've explored just about everything I can in the areas I'm stuck in in Tokyo.

Oh man, I've been kind of slugging through the game slowly and haven't been too keen on it overall.

But I finally got to Tokyo and the game has clicked with me. None of the other SMT's have taken me this long to get into.

Tokyo is amazing and I"m finally stoked to play, but this has to have the most boring/longest intro in the series.

george_us

Ugh finally beat
Minotaur.

I really wish I could say it was rewarding but it wasn't since the battle came down to luck. Dude could of annihilated me any time he wanted honestly.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
One question about something.

This is not long after you get to Ueno.

There was that bridge with the demons blocking it, and they asked me to bring them the head of P-something (I forget how to spell it). Burroughs didn't register it as a quest though, and I even went to where he should be and he's not there. Is there something else I need to accomplish first or what? I feel like I've explored just about everything I can in the areas I'm stuck in in Tokyo.

There is someone else you have to talk with to start the quest.

Whatever you want, but generally pick one or two stats, maybe occasionally giving points to the others. Don't put any points in one if you don't plan to use it.

I'm doing a gun-based character, so I have pretty much everything in Dexterity and Agility, with some in Luck, mostly ignoring Strength and Magic.

What are the practical differences between swords and guns? Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first serious attempt at playing a mainline SMT game.

Aeana

I am so happy they bothered to write up lore blurbs for each demon.
That information is actually available in (almost) all of the games starting with SMT3. They just bring them forward. I imagine starting from square one with this game would have been quite a task.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
What are the practical differences between swords and guns? Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first serious attempt at playing a mainline SMT game.

Different enemies are weak to different kinds of damage, so some might be weak to swords and others to guns. It's good to think of that when trying to exploit enemy weaknesses.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
That information is actually available in (almost) all of the games starting with SMT3. They just bring them forward. I imagine starting from square one with this game would have been quite a task.
Oh, I've never noticed before. Maybe it's how streamlined they made the interface in SMT4 which makes me want to check them. Do we know the ratio of brand new first-time demons in SMT4 compared to reused ones from older games?

vall03

Story spoilers - Shinjuku National Park
Just finished Kagome Tower and its pretty disappointing. I was expecting a tower dungeon and all I got was a straightforward dungeon :(

Top Bottom