• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I've explored Ueno, Tokyo Station (though I wasn't allowed to advance), and the Demon Counter Force base. The game didn't give me a direction, but I'm assuming I should just head to Shinjuku, correct?

Hylian7

So I've explored Ueno, Tokyo Station (though I wasn't allowed to advance), and the Demon Counter Force base. The game didn't give me a direction, but I'm assuming I should just head to Shinjuku, correct?

It did actually.

You need to find that Counter-Demon Force base, like the mission said. There's someone you need to talk to in Ueno, took me a bit to figure that out.

Garland7G

So, I'm still in Naraku just beat
Minotaur
anyways, in the section right after that, I tried to recruit a demon and
he gave me the quest "capture a berserker" is this back before the minotaur boss?

Edit: nm, he was

Aizo

Banned
I'm new to main entry SMT. What should I know? I've played a couple hours, and haven't really had any problems yet. I hear that the overworld is going to confuse the hell out of me.

Busaiku

So I just got into Shibuya, I've been trying to get Chaos but pretty much everything I've gotten was Law.
I saw a a guide saying that the last quest was mandatory Law.

Right now, my icon's rotating mostly clockwise, but still a little counter-clockwise.
Is it still possible to get Chaos if I make all the right choices from here on out?

Aeana

So I just got into Shibuya, I've been trying to get Chaos but pretty much everything I've gotten was Law.
I saw a a guide saying that the last quest was mandatory Law.

Right now, my icon's rotating mostly clockwise, but still a little counter-clockwise.
Is it still possible to get Chaos if I make all the right choices from here on out?
? There's only 3 states: clockwise, counterclockwise, and oscillating back and forth. If it's the latter, then you're neutral. And if you are neutral, then it is super super easy to go chaos or law from there, because the margin for neutral is fairly narrow.

Busaiku

It does like a big rotation clockwise, but then it does a smaller rotation counter-clockwise.
I dunno, maybe I'm just not seeing it right.

Hylian7

So story theory time. First of all, is this game related to Strange Journey or not? If it is, here's my theory.

The "ceiling" over Tokyo is the Schwarzwelt taking over the entire planet. Mikado was established on top of that. I think the Black Samurai might be Zelenin.

Pretty addicted to this game, glad I bought it. I was expecting a harder time though, tbh. Pretty sure I had more trouble in vanilla P3/P4 than this (though that was mostly the fault of the time limit the Persona games impose on you).

Still, pretty good game so far - 12 hours in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Omggg

So I was roaming around and ran into Nue, who was 4 levels higher than my MC but I talked to him anyways. When it ended up in success instead of just retreating like demons always do when they overleveled, he called one of his "buddies" for me to take! This game is full of surprises.

KarmaCow

Ugh, I keep getting caught up in getting "good" fusions, looking for suitable demons and completing side quests so I'm still stuck just
outside of Toyko
. I don't want to "waste" sidequests, especially the boss ones but I also want to actually progress through the game.

The sidequests are rated oddly too. There was one to kill Wu Kong that said it would be too hard for my level but it was pretty simple. The boss didn't even give that much exp considering the warning before hand.

Also, what is the point of getting a high rating in the quest leaderboards? I don't understand the point of it, my ranking seems to go from 1st to not even on the list even though there is only one uncompleted quest.

Toki767

Ugh, I keep getting caught up in getting "good" fusions, looking for suitable demons and completing side quests so I'm still stuck just
outside of Toyko
. I don't want to "waste" sidequests, especially the boss ones but I also want to actually progress through the game.

I know what you mean. I won't allow myself to fuse any demons that aren't magic based. I especially will not give up a magic attacking demon for a physical damaging one.

Where is Wu Kong?

4th floor, then 2nd floor, then 5th floor.

KarmaCow

Where is Wu Kong?

He moves around but the first time you find him is in the area you land when you take the shortcut in Naraku. He's just before the broken bridge you jump across.

After you beat him once, he runs away but you can find him but scrolling through levels on the map.

Riposte

How should I manage my attributes? Any reason why I wouldn't want to just pump everything into one stat (e.g. magic)?

cj_iwakura

How should I manage my attributes? Any reason why I wouldn't want to just pump everything into one stat (e.g. magic)?

It's never a good idea to be a jack of one trade in SMT. There will be a time when no matter how awesome being a phys/mag beast is, you'll wish you had some ability in the other. Also, agility is great, since it ups odds of preempts/lessens odds of being preempted. I'm going DX+/MAG++/AGI+.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

From what I've seen, dumping your stat points into one or two skills seems to be working fine. I've been dumping into Dexterity and Agility and honestly I find the MC way overpowered now (basic gun skills do 120+ damage reliably very early in the game).

This game is awesome! Just about ready to leave the first major area I think (for good), about 4 hrs in.

Riposte

Well, wouldn't your monsters cover your gaps?

And now I'm afraid of making my character too powerful. God... JRPGs...

demonkaze

When it comes to skills for the MC what spells do you choose for a magic MC? I've been using the single target elemental spells as opposed to the multi-target ones.

So I finished the cursed gauntlet challenge :
I went into the fusion place after I beat Ares and Master Roshi told me that I could now make a Fury Ares, but I don't see him anywhere in the special fusion section :/

Woot, beat
Medusa
. Managed to cast both the attack and evasion spells every turn while having my two other characters use Garu and kept at it. Was doing 350 damage per blast at the end.

Well, wouldn't your monsters cover your gaps?

And now I'm afraid of making my character too powerful. God... JRPGs...

Yes, your demons will cover you. The only thing I'd add is that whether you go dexterity/agility or magic/agility, you should also throw some points into luck every now and then, because it is pretty valuable in SMT4.

And don't worry - just because your MC is considerably more powerful than your demons does not mean you've won the game. SMT4 will still punish you for a poorly-constructed party.

When it comes to skills for the MC what spells do you choose for a magic MC? I've been using the single target elemental spells as opposed to the multi-target ones.

I prefer single-target because of the danger of enemies that cover one another's weaknesses. Of course, that hasn't it happened all that often in the first 15 hours, and multi-target can speed up some of encounters. For that reason I usually keep one multi-target for situational use, although I don't have one on my MC right now.

demonkaze

Quick fusion question, was wondering how I make a (Lv 18?)
Archangel
needed as part of the special fusion for Lv 28
High Pixie
?

Althane

In my first Domain, looking forward to it.

Got surprised by a demon recruitment which basically went "You're a cult leader? I wanna join!"

These demons be nuts, yo.

(0/2/0/2/1)(1/2/0/2/0) strat seems to be working well. When do I get access to guns though? I've heard they're much better than swords.

cj_iwakura

In my first Domain, looking forward to it.

Got surprised by a demon recruitment which basically went "You're a cult leader? I wanna join!"

These demons be nuts, yo.

(0/2/0/2/1)(1/2/0/2/0) strat seems to be working well. When do I get access to guns though? I've heard they're much better than swords.

You get your first gun en route to Tokyo. I kept a gun skill until then, then dropped it like a bad habit.

Althane

What are good Apps to get? I have the Mapper/Scout/Fusion apps through story, but also bought Skill Expansion 1 and Demon analyze. Should I be paranoid about how many App points I get through the game?

Ridley327

The Dance of the Dead sidequest is amusingly brutal, especially when you kill the last horde you're going after.

Hell of an awesome remix of the Fiend theme, though!

What are good Apps to get? I have the Mapper/Scout/Fusion apps through story, but also bought Skill Expansion 1 and Demon analyze. Should I be paranoid about how many App points I get through the game?

Demolingual is a must in my book, since it will allow you to communicate with demons that speak in strange tongues.

Yuterald

The Dance of the Dead sidequest is amusingly brutal, especially when you kill the last horde you're going after.

Hell of an awesome remix of the Fiend theme, though!

I haven't even reached Tokyo yet and I tried this quest. I can destroy the hordes quite easily (only level 13), but
David
is another story. By the way, fuck Blight sometimes! =D

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It did actually.

You need to find that Counter-Demon Force base, like the mission said. There's someone you need to talk to in Ueno, took me a bit to figure that out.
Wait, I've already made it to the base, checked the files and unlocked the terminal. Are you suggesting I head back to Ueno at this point?

Definitely still in. I've had 1 in 65 fusions so far.

Thanks, figured as much but I'd been longer than usual before I've had one compared to the other games.

Does Demolingual intentionally not translate at times? For example, when a demon who speaks in a strange tongue tells me they've unlocked a new ability it's untranslated.

I think skill expansions for your protagonist and demons are the most important, followed by stock expansions. Additional skills just make a huge difference in your demons' fighting ability. Think of it this way: if most fights come down to your ability to target the enemy's weakness and apply the appropriate buffs/debuffs, that's going to be a whole lot easier when your party can hold lots of buffs/debuffs and elemental spells.

Even 15-20 hours in, I've only encountered three or four demons that require Demolingual.

Top Bottom