• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Ridley327

I haven't even reached Tokyo yet and I tried this quest. I can destroy the hordes quite easily (only level 13), but
David
is another story. By the way, fuck Blight sometimes! =D

Yeah, Blight can be really nasty, since it can easily deal 100 damage and poison you. The worst part about the hordes, though, is that there's a 50/50 chance that they get a first strike (since they're special battles, you don't get that luxury), which can immediately put you at a disadvantage that is difficult to overcome.

David is thankfully a bit simpler than that, but his damage output can be pretty scary. He managed to kill two of my party members, but thankfully, he didn't kill the one that also had Zio, so we ping-ponged back and forth with that spell and were able to avoid damage since he kept missing that other demon. He went down after about 6 or 7 turns.

So I am finally gonna get a chance to play this game this weekend.

I preordered it from Gamestop, but what's this code people are talking about for the white costume? Was it written on the receipt? Because my sister went in my room and threw away my Gamestop bag with my receipt in it. Am I screwed? :(

I preordered it from Gamestop, but what's this code people are talking about for the white costume? Was it written on the receipt? Because my sister went in my room and threw away my Gamestop bag with my receipt in it. Am I screwed? :(

It's free DLC just go to the "Add-On Content" button on the main menu.

Ridley327

The White Samurai gear is free DLC that you can download from the game's menu.

Oh so is there a Gamestp scecific costume that I will miss out on unless I go back to Gamestop and get them to re-print my receipt? Glad the white costume is free. :)

GeekyDad

Yeah, but it's a shitty armor that you almost never want to wear.

I'm still wearing the white samurai garb and I'm over 20 hours in. Only changed to the demonica torso top for one area, but now I'm back to the complete white suit. Haven't seen any armor sold that I would want to pay for. It looks cool, but doesn't do much for me stat/resistance-wise.

CSX

So I finished the cursed gauntlet challenge :
I went into the fusion place after I beat Ares and Master Roshi told me that I could now make a Fury Ares, but I don't see him anywhere in the special fusion section :/

not all demons you unlock through sidequests are special fusions

LOL so it's awful armor huh? Ok thanks guys. Now I'm much less annoyed with my sister for throwing my stuff away.

Not surprised that it's weak. "Power to the players" psshhh.

CSX

I'm still wearing the white samurai garb and I'm over 20 hours in. Only changed to the demonica torso top for one area, but now I'm back to the complete white suit. Haven't seen any armor sold that I would want to pay for. It looks cool, but doesn't do much for me stat/resistance-wise.
This. I havent bought shit from the equipment stores and im at level 32

Conezays

Same here, are you buying weapons from shops though? I've bought stuff a couple times...only to find the same weapon available in a dungeon. Argh..

CSX

Just wanna say that the exp boost items you earn in the DLC can be sold for some good cash. Each item is 250 macca each and they drop 1-5 per battle. That sure beats getting a lot of 1 star relic at 50-80 macca each :p

But the real reason why you will buy the DLC is to hear this great track from Nocturne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLog4OxIe8

? There's only 3 states: clockwise, counterclockwise, and oscillating back and forth. If it's the latter, then you're neutral. And if you are neutral, then it is super super easy to go chaos or law from there, because the margin for neutral is fairly narrow.

I still have no clue how I accidentally landed on the neutral path.

It was complete and total luck.

alignment question I'll spoiler tag

So I want to get the neutral ending. So thus far I've been doing/saying things that are counter and or indifferent right? Now those moments when you can skill or spare a demon that also plays a part as well. I've been sparing people. I worried that leads into Law goodie, goodie.

Just some feedback on the experience thus far would be appreciated

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Lv10ish spoiler question. I'm about to fight the
Minotaur.
I just want to make sure, this isn't going to be a tutorial point of no return is it? Just got a weird feeling. Thanks.

Minotaur.
I just want to make sure, this isn't going to be a tutorial point of no return is it? Just got a weird feeling. Thanks.

It's not and lol, good luck at that level :D

No idea where to go from here.
Go to the pond via Ueno, it's up the stairs from the main building's underground passage. Make sure to stop by the bar first.
Under the assumption you mean you just got there though.

Read the quest log people! Usually has hints if not out right tells you where to go.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Minotaur.

Level 10? Oh lol. Just...turn around, go into the forest and fight some demons! Do some quests! Fuse a couple new friends! Enjoy life. Because you are gonna get stomped into dust if you fight the boss haha.

So I want to get the neutral ending. So thus far I've been doing/saying things that are counter and or indifferent right? Now those moments when you can skill or spare a demon that also plays a part as well. I've been sparing people. I worried that leads into Law goodie, goodie.

Pretty sure (Choice spoilers):
Sparing demons is considered a Chaos choice.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

There's a guy you can talk to at bars and he'll let you know what you're leaning towards. I'm guessing hot-headed is chaos, hard to get a handle on is neutral(my current standing), and Ive never been law, but I'm sure that'll have an easy to understand sentence associated with it.

Come back to feed us tales of your glorious victory. In the case glorious victory is unobtainable, just walk into the fight with a full team bearing the boss's weakness.

Where are you stuck at?

(early Tokyo spoilers)
After beating Peallaidh and crossing the dead horse bridge, I'm currently in the Shinjuku region, and I really feel like I'm not suppose to be here. There's the poison on the ground everywhere, and I forget how to get back lol

GeekyDad

Same here, are you buying weapons from shops though? I've bought stuff a couple times...only to find the same weapon available in a dungeon. Argh..

Only once early on, and yeah, I ended up finding the same sword in a chest. Though I found a chainsaw I was really excited about, the attack animation and sound are just the same as a normal attack -- very disappointed. I'm still using a multi-enemy-hit spear I found a while back, simply because it's useful to sleep enemies that aren't weak to the elemental skills I've got.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
(early Tokyo spoilers)
After beating Peallaidh and crossing the dead horse bridge, I'm currently in the Shinjuku region, and I really feel like I'm not suppose to be here. There's the poison on the ground everywhere, and I forget how to get back lol

Wait so if you are in Shinjuku, you already went to the
Counter Demon Base? Cause if not, that's your next stop. Otherwise, once in Shinjuku you need to cross the poison to get to the next city/mission
Remember that you totally need to pay Macca, to the boat people to move back.

Wait so if you are in Shinjuku, you already went to the
Counter Demon Base? Cause if not, that's your next stop. Otherwise, once in Shinjuku you need to cross the poison to get to the next city/mission

I have actually, I forgot about that. So I'm going in the right direction..phew.
What level am I supposed to be when I'm here?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have actually, I forgot about that. So I'm going in the right direction..phew.
What level am I supposed to be when I'm here?

I grinded a little, so I was 27 when I got there which was slightly over the top. The Shinjuku enemies/bosses posed no problem. Little tip on how to progress there:
It's one of these situations where one of the Challenge Quests is actually a key component to go further

I grinded a little, so I was 27 when I got there which was slightly over the top. The Shinjuku enemies/bosses posed no problem. Little tip on how to progress there:
It's one of these situations where one of the Challenge Quests is actually a key component to go further

Thanks!
I'm level 31, so I should be good.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Round 1 was spent feeling out his weaknesses and resists. Luckily have have 2
Bufus
in my current party. Second fight I got him to his second dialogue despite Walter screwing me by
casting Agi.
Third time's the charm? And yeah spamming evasion and defense buffs are integral to my strategy lol.

Not sure what path I plan to go down, Strange Journey made Law even more awful than usual so we'll see how it all plays out. Will probably shoot for neutral.

I have had no desire up until now to get a 3DS. This game may change that... it pains me that I will have to buy a system just to play one game, and I'm not even a big fan of mobile gaming, but dammit..... I can't miss a mainline SMT title. I just can't.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Done! =) I have two Sukujaka users so I got to spam 3 evasions turn 1 with extra turns. After that, just Bufu and rakujaka when appropriate.

cj_iwakura

I have had no desire up until now to get a 3DS. This game may change that... it pains me that I will have to buy a system just to play one game, and I'm not even a big fan of mobile gaming, but dammit..... I can't miss a mainline SMT title. I just can't.

Soul Hackers was the appetizer. The main course just arrived.

Frosteey

Neo Member

I think most of the armor does not even really look good.

I am in the 40s for level and right now I am wearing

Quest reward hat
Default blue top
Quest reward bottom

I skipped every helmet except for the not-helmets you can buy in the second shop.

There's a guy you can talk to at bars and he'll let you know what you're leaning towards. I'm guessing hot-headed is chaos, hard to get a handle on is neutral(my current standing), and Ive never been law, but I'm sure that'll have an easy to understand sentence associated with it.

Thanks for the reply. What bar in which town though?

CSX

Last night, a couple of people were giving up on the Hunter Tournament Prelims sidequest

I beat it before i went to bed. The only way you could beat it was knowing what enemies you fight in each wave and switch your party accordingly before killing the last guy on the previous wave.

So after about five deaths, heres the quick word doc i typed up. to get me through it.

KILL ALL DEMONS FIRST BEFORE THE HUNTER
First guy

Nue – Weak to gun/force. Drains Elec. Does Elec and physical attack
Hairy jack – weak to light, resist dark, does war cry and physicals
Inugami – weak to light and force, repels fre, does fire and rakuna

2nd guy –does lighting

Tsuchigumo – weak to ice , repel elec, does poison claw and elec
Pellaigh – weak to fire, resist poson, null ice, does poison physical
Kuda – weak to gun, force ; repel ice, does ice

3rd guy

Baphomet - nulls dark, weak to light , drains sp, dark magic
Inferno – weak to ice and light ,does fire attacks