• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Nexas

So just passed were the starter guide finished and I just met
Tayama. He's asked me to go kill Yuriko (from SMT I?) of the Ring of Gaea. I imagine she's going to ask me to do the same to him when I meet her. This definitely seems like the point were big decisions about my alignment are going to start mattering.
I'm both excited and a little bit scared now that I don't have the guide to fall back on.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Last night, a couple of people were giving up on the Hunter Tournament Prelims sidequest

I beat it before i went to bed. The only way you could beat it was knowing what enemies you fight in each wave and switch your party accordingly before killing the last guy on the previous wave.

So after about five deaths, heres the quick word doc i typed up. to get me through it.

KILL ALL DEMONS FIRST BEFORE THE HUNTER
First guy

Nue – Weak to gun/force. Drains Elec. Does Elec and physical attack
Hairy jack – weak to light, resist dark, does war cry and physicals
Inugami – weak to light and force, repels fre, does fire and rakuna

2nd guy –does lighting

Tsuchigumo – weak to ice , repel elec, does poison claw and elec
Pellaigh – weak to fire, resist poson, null ice, does poison physical
Kuda – weak to gun, force ; repel ice, does ice

3rd guy

Baphomet - nulls dark, weak to light , drains sp, dark magic
Inferno – weak to ice and light ,does fire attacks
Churel - weak to light , drains HP and sp

4th guy
Silky - weak to fire, drains ice, healer
Dantalian – weaj to elec, resist other 3 + dark , does force
Basilik – weak to force, nulls dark ,does physical

You are a saint.

Rhodan

Neo Member
So I finished the cursed gauntlet challenge :
I went into the fusion place after I beat Ares and MasterRoshi told me that I could nod make a Fury Ares, but I don't see him anywhere in the special fusion section :/

You will see that message quite often and it doesn't actually mean it's a special summon, it just means you can now fuse that demon just like you can any normal demon (and as a result it won't show up as an option unless you have the demons to fuse it in your party already)

Damn, I think I was level 25 or so for that quest.

Really? You sure your not thinking of a different quest? I've only been doing side missions but not grinding otherwise so I'm surprised I would be that far overlevelled =/

So guys if you're going physical what stats should you invest in? I mean the obvious one is luck but what else?

If you're going with phys skills then you want Dexterity since it apparently boosts those moves way more than Strength. Strength just makes your default attack stronger and I heard it may increase physical defense but I don't know if that's true or not.

Agility is good too.

Raytow

Tokyo spoilers:
I'm looking for the library in Shinjuku but there is a barrier that needs a talisman to open it? where is it?

I've generally apportioned things 15/15/30/20/20 (str/dex/mag/agi/luc) and that has worked well for me. Consistently holding on to three elemental spells and use the gun with elemental ammo as backup for others. Heavy melee I let select demons take care of and also invested in the Str+ level-up app for them.

Really enjoying the game after a slow start. More personality to the world and even side characters than some reviews suggested. And kudos to all the excellent voice work as well. Quality stuff all around.

BlackJace

Wow, just finished the first real boss. That is how you do it. Tough as nails initially, but taking the time to plan out a strategy really works.

Very impressed.

Jessicat

So...

SMTIVGAF, how long do you plan on using the demon in your avatar? When I get Yoshitsune, I'll try to keep him for as long as possible!
Raja Naga isn't in this game :( And Naga is noob tier, I already had one and I'm just fusing him into other dragon-like race demons XD

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So...

SMTIVGAF, how long do you plan on using the demon in your avatar? When I get Yoshitsune, I'll try to keep him for as long as possible!

Lilith is too far away lol. I wonder though if lower tiers demons can still be beasts at high levels. This skill changing app... How does it work? I hope it can take a skill like Zionga and transform it into Ziodyne, free of charge.

Finally got a couple hours to really dedicate to the game last night. Fought the first two real bosses and did some challenge quests in Tokyo. The first boss was a real pain in my ass. Honestly didn't have fun with him and the skill that supposedly would have made him fair was not available at all on any of my fusable demons.

The second boss wasn't all that bad.

I kind of like the boss conversation system but it's really only interesting on the first go around. With predetermined choices, it's just something to memorize, as Press Turn + smirk seems to require some serious luck to take a boss on the first go around. So many OHKOs.

Not a big fan of the visible enemies, unless you can dodge them easier or be invisible to them later in the game. If I had to choose between SMTIV encounters and random encounters, I would take random right now.

Enjoying the game quite a bit right now. Different demon designs don't clash as much as I feared and the whole game just feels very polished.

RPGCrazied

Went ahead an bought it. My gamestop even still had the limited box copy, I guess its not just for preorders. Any tips before starting? I've been pretty media black out on this game, so don't know what to expect.

Why has nobody told me that I can haggle bosses for pocket change? This is amazing!

Went ahead an bought it. My gamestop even still had the limited box copy, I guess its not just for preorders. Any tips before starting? I've been pretty media black out on this game, so don't know what to expect.

If you got a GS code for this game, don't use it.

Download the free DLC, especially the White Samurai gear. It's really effective for the beginning.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Have you guys heard the good word about Fundraisers?!
After fully upgrading the skill I started extorting a lot more macca, some monsters even break down and hand over 2k+ per monster. And this is just from a few minutes of experimenting.
FGVsT1i.png

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Didn't preorders get a free costume? Do new copies get that, or just preorders?

Yeah pre-orders came with exclusive armor. I dunno about the Amazon one, but the Gamestop armor is pretty bad in the beginning since it's weak to physical attacks and a lot of enemies use those.

Soulhouf

I would really prefer if the HP/MP increase when you level up was tied to stats you choose.
Str => HP
Int => MP

Physical skills use HP and the magical ones MP.

That would make the game more balanced between the 2 types of builds.

GeekyDad

Have you guys heard the good word about Fundraisers?!
After fully upgrading the skill I started extorting a lot more macca, some monsters even break down and hand over 2k+ per monster. And this is just from a few minutes of experimenting.
FGVsT1i.png

Good to know, though the only thing I've really spent money on thus far is demon fusion (to save time on nabbing demons, etc.) I like the economy in the game, how limited macca accumulation is. I just wish there was more gear worth buying. It's still early, though, I guess. Not sure. Just beat the boss of Ikebukuru.

Sleepy

Broke down and bought the DLC EXP map, just to see what it is all about (seriously, I swear am not overleveling there). I love this game...even the grind EXP map is difficult.
The gold relics are awesome for cash, though. AWESOME.

I think I fucked up a bit though.
I forgot to recruit demons in the 1st demon domain and in the forest, so I am still stuck with Naraku demons. I have done some fusing, but not much.

DAT feel when the boss is weak against all your three demon's magic :D

Yup,
Long destoyed eveyone in my party but the one immune to wind. That one kicked Long's ass.

This game is so brutal. I just finished a quest encounter
first encounter with hooded man
and barely won, but all my demons leveled up so i managed to press on through. I crawl out of a cave and an enemy surprises me and kills my whole party. D'oh.

pariah164

Does anyone know if Apsaras learns Bufu? I need it for a boss... My MC, Centaur, and Knocker all know it, and I need one more for complete, utter destruction.

RPGCrazied

Having fun so far, just got into the first training dungeon. Can you not turn subtitles off during the movies? Doesn't look like it. :(

Mupod

Does anyone know if Apsaras learns Bufu? I need it for a boss... My MC, Centaur, and Knocker all know it, and I need one more for complete, utter destruction.

Don't think so. I recommend fusing centaur into something better. If you really want a third bufu user, fuse knocker too and go recruit another knocker.

Wow, just finished the first real boss. That is how you do it. Tough as nails initially, but taking the time to plan out a strategy really works.

Very impressed.

I actually just fought a boss who got a bunch of lucky crits early on and left me with only one demon alive, and himself heavily buffed. By using all my abilities I was just barely able to crawl my way back from this, regain the advantage and win, but it took like 15 minutes. Now that's a sign of a great RPG battle system.

Top Bottom