• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Man, now that the reviews are coming in I can't stop feeling hype.

It's just six more days, but for some reason it's become farther away today than it was yesterday.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Man, now that the reviews are coming in I can't stop feeling hype.

It's just six more days, but for some reason it's become farther away today than it was yesterday.

I hear ya. Thankfully I'm playing the awesome Phoenix Wright trilogy to make the wait less harder.

Goby

Banned
Apart from some gameplay vids and soundtrack snippets, I was on a total media blackout for this game. I knew that I'd buy it anyway.

I've always thought that the person on the right side of the cover is totally a girl. And then I see you calling 'her' Jonathan.

Mind blown.

Same here. That guy is just fabulous

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, I assume Law is gonna be the biggest bastard of all.

Which is why I am gonna choose Law in my first playthrough: I love being a bastard XD

BlackJace

Fight this man for me :p

Also I'm planning on going Neutral for the first playthrough.

The lies. Rock wasn't even a whiny, high-pitched male protagonist like the oh so familiar stereotype would have one think. And there was clear character development too :/
especially at the end of the OVAs

Thinking about going neutral too. Undecided bros for life.

Probably should play some Strange Journey to pass the time, since I never really got to finish it.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Neutral all the way.

Angels and demons shall bow before me.
That brings to mind my biggest pet peeve of the series. I hate how they always call angels demons in the series. I don't know why Atlus does it but it makes no sense and makes the writers and characters look dumb.

Gintama is very good though. Well that has an overarching story but it's mainly episodic.
I have never seen it. It's too long for just a parody I don't think I would ever finish it.

Cowboy Bebop and Gintama are good, Black Lagoon should've gotten out that hiatus years ago, and episodic anime is not generally crap.

Soriku

That brings to mind my biggest pet peeve of the series. I hate how they always call angels demons in the series. I don't know why Atlus does it but it makes no sense and makes the writers and characters look dumb.

Demons aren't all literally 'demons' as you can summon dudes like Thor or Odin who are gods not demons but it's still funny to see them called angels and then once you can summon them they're considered demons.

I have never seen it. It's too long for just a parody I don't think I would ever finish it.

Gintama has a lot of substance if you give it a chance. It's not just a simple parody anime.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Cowboy Bebop and Gintama are good, Black Lagoon should've gotten out that hiatus years ago, and episodic anime is not generally crap.
I hated Samurai Champloo. I did really like Casshern Sins though and that is mostly episodic.

Demons aren't all literally 'demons' as you can summon dudes like Thor or Odin who are gods not demons but it's still funny to see them called angels and then once you can summon them they're considered demons.

Gintama has a lot of substance if you give it a chance. It's not just a simple parody anime.
I know it makes no sense. I thought Atlus would fix that by now lol.

Idk if I would be able to lol. I only watch dub and I barely started to watch sub only anime. I watched only Bakemonogatari and I plan on watching the rest of the Monogatari Series, Toradora, Pet Girl, and Cross Game (since they were never dubbed). Otherwise I'm hardcore dub. 200 episode sub series seems scary to me at this point lol.

cj_iwakura

Demons in SMT mythos mean creatures from any mythology that are summoned into the realm, be they angelic, Goetic, Buddhist, whatever.

I don't know...given that the gods--good and evil--of any number of pantheons fall under the classification "demon" for SMT purposes, don't you just accept that the games are using "demon" in an idiosyncratic way? It seems internally consistent to me.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Demons in SMT mythos mean creatures from any mythology that are summoned into the realm, be they angelic, Goetic, Buddhist, whatever.

I don't know...given that the gods--good and evil--of any number of pantheons fall under the classification "demon" for SMT purposes, don't you just accept that the games are using "demon" in an idiosyncratic way? It seems internally consistent to me.
Ah I see now it makes more sense. I was kinda thinking on those lines as well but meh.

I haven't watched Sins, but I liked Samurai Champloo for its animation.
The characters sucked (excluding Mugen even then he wasn't that good). Plus it had no deep themes.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Has anyone here played this game on the XL? How noticeable is the pixelation, specially on the battle screen?

Just got home with a copy from a local game shop. Can report back later tonight. I'm not crazy about the 3D effect on the XL though, so I'll probably just play 2D.

It should be noted the Greek origin of the word demon means spirit or divine being. The original term thus did not imply either good or evil.

Taken from the wiki for the computing term Daemon

Many people equate the word "daemon" with the word "demon", implying some kind of satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an egregious misunderstanding. "Daemon" is actually a much older form of "demon"; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient Greeks' concept of a "personal daemon" was similar to the modern concept of a "guardian angel"—eudaemonia is the state of being helped or protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested with both daemons and demons.

FourMyle

Just got home with a copy from a local game shop. Can report back later tonight. I'm not crazy about the 3D effect on the XL though, so I'll probably just play 2D.

Awesome! I'll look forward to your impressions. And yeah I rarely turn 3D on so it doesn't matter to me.

Smellycat

I am still deciding on whether to get this game or not. I would get $30 dollars in eshop credit, but I am going to have to hand over $50+ dollars..

CSX

Someone correct me on this if i'm wrong.

In the first SMT, there's an origin story about how God was once a demon among the first of the other demons. But using his power, he banished all the demons around him and created minions who serve him obediently (the angels) and set sights in having humans also being completely obedient to him.

I interpret "demons" as a way to show that regardless of their intentions, these beings have the power and strength to destroy the average person.

DarkPanda

As someone who has never played a SMT game before, what are the differences between the alignments? I see a lot of talk about Law vs. Neutral vs. Chaos here, but I have no idea what they represent or why I would choose one over the other.

Will I like this game even if I'm a very casual JRPG fan? I didn't like P4G because I felt overwhelmed and didn't like the dating simulation/social linking aspect of it.

Years ago I did play Nocturne, majority of my experience with it being watching my roommate. I enjoyed it

Soriku

As someone who has never played a SMT game before, what are the differences between the alignments? I see a lot of talk about Law vs. Neutral vs. Chaos here, but I have no idea what they represent or why I would choose one over the other.

You're basically siding with different ideologies so you can shape the world in a certain way at the end. You'll get some different dialogue depending on your alignment as well as bosses. For example, siding with Chaos will pit you against all the Law-aligned characters, going Neutral will make you fight everyone I guess. Also a different ending.

Will I like this game even if I'm a very casual JRPG fan? I didn't like P4G because I felt overwhelmed and didn't like the dating simulation/social linking aspect of it.

Years ago I did play Nocturne, majority of my experience with it being watching my roommate. I enjoyed it

This game doesn't have any Social Links and I think if you enjoyed just watching Nocturne you'll like playing this.

ohlawd

dayum you didn't enjoy one of the two redeeming factors of Persona 3/4.

Probably not but give it a try since you already have a positive experience from Nocturne.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Law is usually aligned with angels. It's strict and by the book (as you might imagine a law alignment would be). Chaos is with demons, and has more to do with getting your own way regardless of who you have to hurt. Neutral is when you don't agree with either side.

Note that just because Law means with the angels, doesn't mean it's the "good" path. Chaos is not all bad either. They are all various shades of grey, and in each game how each alignment is shown is different. I tend to go Neutral because they're all bastards.

Dammit. I just got so pumped reading about the FE/SMT eShop promotion, but am now seeing FE was never registered to my account. It was an early review code I got from a friend so I'm guessing that's the issue? No registration, no surveys show up (except one for FE DLC).

Thing is I got the exact same thing for NSMB2 and have that registered and got coins for the surveys.

Thinking about actually purchasing a copy of FE now for the promotion. Would it be wrong if I did that, then traded it back in?

Edit: Maybe I should try deleting FE and redownloading...

You'll encounter all sorts of choices as you play the game. Just go with your instincts, respond in the way you feel is the most appropriate, and the game will sort it out for you. The various sides will plead their cases to you, so you don't have to worry about not getting it.

clem84

Gold Member
I've been wondering something about this game. As far as gameplay is concerned, how close is the SMT series to the Persona series? I ask because I played Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I hated it. I gave up after there was like 10 minutes of gameplay in the first 3 hours of the game. Now is SMT4 supposed to be the same? If it's mostly cut-scenes with very little gameplay I'll pass.

Soriku

I've been wondering something about this game. As far as gameplay is concerned, how close is the SMT series to the Persona series? I ask because I played Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I hated it. I gave up after there was like 10 minutes of gameplay in the first 3 hours of the game. Now is SMT4 supposed to be the same? If it's mostly cut-scenes with very little gameplay I'll pass.

I believe the first 20-30 mins are mostly cutscenes but afterwards you'll start getting to play. Half of Persona's gameplay is Social Links which on top of the story means a lot of dialogue but SMT IV doesn't have any Social Links so you'll be good. This is a dungeon crawler series anyway.

DarkPanda

You'll encounter all sorts of choices as you play the game. Just go with your instincts, respond in the way you feel is the most appropriate, and the game will sort it out for you. The various sides will plead their cases to you, so you don't have to worry about not getting it.

Ok, that sounds good. I'm always obsessed with min/maxing when I play RPGs, so I'm always worried about which path gets the better bonuses. As long as there's no "best" path (only Law characters get the infinity-plus-one sword!) I'll be fine.

BlackJace

Dammit. I just got so pumped reading about the FE/SMT eShop promotion, but am now seeing FE was never registered to my account. It was an early review code I got from a friend so I'm guessing that's the issue? No registration, no surveys show up (except one for FE DLC).

Thing is I got the exact same thing for NSMB2 and have that registered and got coins for the surveys.

Thinking about actually purchasing a copy of FE now for the promotion. Would it be wrong if I did that, then traded it back in?

Edit: Maybe I should try deleting FE and redownloading...

I called their excellent customer support, and got my digital copy registered.

ZenComp

Neo Member
It's a lot less dialogue heavy than Persona. After the initial sequence with you becoming a Samurai, you're thrown right into the tutorial dungeon, and after that things open up more and more, and cutscenes aren't very long in general.

ZenComp

Neo Member
Ok, that sounds good. I'm always obsessed with min/maxing when I play RPGs, so I'm always worried about which path gets the better bonuses. As long as there's no "best" path (only Law characters get the infinity-plus-one sword!) I'll be fine.
Each path does have different end-game equipment and demons, though, as well as optional side quests. They're not really that much of a big deal, and it's better to just choose what you prefer in the story. You can then look forward to unlocking new things from other paths in subsequent playthroughs if you wish to do them.

Preordered this on Sunday. I'm pretty excited to have a game that isn't MH3U in my 3DS. Also doing some traveling in August so this should be great. Looking forward to having a new summer RPG to play.

Top Bottom