• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Bogeypop

My entire party got a Smirk in a single round and apparently you "regain your composure" which equates to a free heal, first time seeing it. Too bad I didn't get some much needed MP heals :(

I'm pretty unhappy about this DLC. I'm not paying to break the very game I paid for.

It would be nice if they released some interesting story based quests with cool bosses.

Vamphuntr

I have some questions for GAF. I'm near the end of the game so don't highlight if you don't want to be spoiled.

ID Card Level 3 and the Doors
What are the stats requirement to open the door in the storage room? I opened the one with the plasma gun but I don't have enough Lu or Str to open the two other. I'm a magic build MC so is it worth it to put points in those?

Fiends
How do you make them spawn? I discovered a town in the north east of the map near one of the shelter with a terminal in it and near the flight/landing spot for your magic boat called Minami something and inside there is a NPC talking about a fiend in town but I can't find it.

Roppongi Hills/Reverse Hills
I got the 2,3 and 4 card back from the Samurai at Tayama's office? Is it useful to go back in that dungeon again

jackal27

Banned
I struggled through the
Minotaur
for like 3 days and was warning my little brother "Watch out for this guy. He'll kick your ass."

Low and behold he killed the thing on his first try...

Bogeypop

I wish we could get 9 moves...

I wish we could get 11 moves then I could have Judgment Light and Die for Me! instead I opt out for Tetrakarn and Makarakarn for boss utility rather than breezing through common enemies though it seems a lot of the later bosses use
Almighty
attacks to counter-act that. I'll definitely replace the Reflect spells for those Insta-Kill spells when I beat the game to make grinding to max level easier.

It's behind the metal fence in the middle of the hallway. Alternatively, you can go upstairs and into the back of the area to find an elevator to take you down, but you'll still need to open the fence from the "town" side.

Hmm, when you said metal fence you mean the one where I needed to clean out corpses to get past it right?

Where the Old Woman who wants you to take a photo of some bar is?

edit: Nevermind, found it.

Soulhouf

Auto-map is very confusing.
I keep neglecting some paths because the map displays them as dead end as long as you don't cross them.
Every time I get stuck and don't know where to go because of that...

PK Gaming

Die for Me vs Judgment Light
Which is probably more useful overall?

I've got Judgement Light already from Anubis, and it'll be +2 soon enough.

Hama spells are much more useful in this game. There are noticeably more demons that are weak to hama in this game in comparison to demons that are weak to mudo. In fact, consider the levels you get Judgement Light & Die For me (61 vs 49)

If you have room use both, but Judgement Light is the better of the two.

coopolon

Negotiating in this game is awful.

I just answered the same question from the exact same demon in the same fight all three ways possible and every choice ended with an immediate attack.

In strange journey there were personality types and once you learned them you could predict most if the answers. That was OK, not great, but at least made sense. This system sucks. Might as well just show us a rolling dice.

twelver

I just answered the same question from the exact same demon in the same fight all three ways possible and every choice ended with an immediate attack.

In strange journey there were personality types and once you learned them you could predict most if the answers. That was OK, not great, but at least made sense. This system sucks. Might as well just show us a rolling dice.

Yeah I'm finding that it's pretty random as well. The exact same responses yield different things, such as irate attacks or them running off with my shit.

I just finished the first plot event in Ginza, and I'm confused.
I picked every single obviously Chaos option in the Hall of Ethics, but the Cynical Man is still saying I'm "a hard man to get a finger on". Am I still neutral somehow? Walter left my party and I'm stuck with Jonathan, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted.

Yep. They randomized it and it sucks. I guess that is to "make up" for save anywhere, but it is a terrible system and they should feel really bad for making what was a fun part of the game a terrible experience.

magnetic

Yeah I'm finding that it's pretty random as well. The exact same responses yield different things, such as irate attacks or them running off with my shit.

Sometimes I just pick the answer that sounds most unlikely to succeed and more often than not it works.

Watashiwa

A couple things about negotiation: It seems to be influenced by the luck stat, so investing in luck takes the, well, luck out of negotiations. It's not completely random either; some personality types prefer certain answers over others, though the best answer varies from demon to demon. There's something about refusing or cheating a demon as well; just rolling over for them doesn't work, for 100% successful negotiations you have to rip them off.

I can't emphasize this enough: if you're really having issues with negotiation, invest in the Scout line of Burroughs apps. The first two make Scouting a revenue, Scout+ can win you freebies (who also yield loot) and Expert Scout just takes the difficulty out of it.

As much as I'm frustrated by the negotiations in this game, it's still miles better than Nocturne, which really WAS randomized. Until you had Valkyrie or Mithra, there was no way to consistently succeed at negotiations without knowing how the recruitment skill interacted with the hidden personality system inside and out (and this was mentioned nowhere in game).

In other news, just bought Party MP Restore. Holy crap. There is nothing like walking through a dungeon and ending every fight with three Megidolas, using Diarahan, and getting into the next fight six steps later with max MP. Those fifteen levels worth of App Purchases? SO worth it.

Ok, so I reloaded my save prior to the "bad" ending. I think I'm on the neutral path can someone confirm?

Basically
Stephen just said that he wants me to revive the Goddess of Tokyo, but first I have to beat the White

Maybe it's supposed to be more obvious, and maybe I'm just being obtuse, but I would love an indication either way, thanks!

A couple things about negotiation: It seems to be influenced by the luck stat, so investing in luck takes the, well, luck out of negotiations. It's not completely random either; some personality types prefer certain answers over others, though the best answer varies from demon to demon. There's something about refusing or cheating a demon as well; just rolling over for them doesn't work, for 100% successful negotiations you have to rip them off.

I am sorry, but I require proof for both of these assertions.

I literally gave a Chupacapra, the same one, two different answers to the question "are you a monkey?" and he attacked both times. Personality I do not believe is a factor in this game. It was in SJ, I do not believe you at all when you say it is in SMT IV.

Luck is my second highest stat. I am skeptical that it affects negotiation.

Sera O

Banned
Yep. They randomized it and it sucks. I guess that is to "make up" for save anywhere, but it is a terrible system and they should feel really bad for making what was a fun part of the game a terrible experience.

Yeah, I feel like the game is wasting my time with the questions in negotiation. It's one thing if the demon is requesting an item/macca, but when the questions come up I just randomly pick something while rolling my eyes.

Another thing: is there no way to view maps in a safe state? I'm thinking specifically of the overworld when it's kind of unclear where I can and can't go and I'm trying to get somewhere. More often than not, when I go to examine the map and plan a route, an enemy will spawn. The next thing I know, I've been ambushed while ignoring the top screen. This game is making me miss random battles of the PS2 era, whether it's because of the map thing, or because the controls for camera and moving on the field kind of suck for me.

Goby

Banned
Oh wow, I just saw the redesign for
Astaroth shown in a Famitsu article. brb crying, wtf is that I don't even. There are so few awesome male demons as it is... well I thought he was cool in DS Raidou ._.; Guess I'm rockin' it to the top in SMTIV with Narcissus and CuChulainn? XD
I'm kind of scared to ask if there's a list of the redesigned demons o_O lol

And speaking of demon (re)designs, there's a SMTIV artbook being released soon, I just found it up for pre-order on HobbySearch, which may or may not be more affordable than Amazon JP, it all depends on shipping costs ^^; Link HERE, have fun! Oh, and if anyone knows of any import-type webshops taking preorders for the artbook DX set [the artbook with some extras], please let me know :3

I love most of the redesigns and the new designs even though many people hate them

Especially the late game spoilers
Archangels

Ok, so I reloaded my save prior to the "bad" ending. I think I'm on the neutral path can someone confirm?

Basically
Stephen just said that he wants me to revive the Goddess of Tokyo, but first I have to beat the White

Maybe it's supposed to be more obvious, and maybe I'm just being obtuse, but I would love an indication either way, thanks!
You're on it! Congrats

Watashiwa

You did it.

Depending on your alignment, you're met by one of three people in the Monochrome Forest: Gabriel, Stephen or...Lilith, I think.

I am sorry, but I require proof for both of these assertions.

I literally gave a Chupacapra, the same one, two different answers to the question "are you a monkey?" and he attacked both times. Personality I do not believe is a factor in this game. It was in SJ, I do not believe you at all when you say it is in SMT IV.

Luck is my second highest stat. I am skeptical that it affects negotiation.

I don't have proof for the first, except that once I started boosting my luck I started seeing far fewer hostile responses from demons. The second I do know is a factor, have you seen an event where the demon takes off after getting an item? Every so often they say something to the effect of "Wow, this has been boring, make it interesting next time." Cheating a demon, particularly when they've made a really ridiculous request, works as a correct response.

EDIT: Also, end the negotiation yourself whenever possible. If you've gotten to the point where you can do that, chances are good you've pleased them enough to join.

LProtag

I might have screwed up my neutral run. Not sure.

Someone said that talking to the lady thinking about suicide and asking if you're a human or demon will take you off the path. I have no idea.

Still can't remember my first few choices which might have screwed me up anyway, heh.

Sleepy

Ugh...why can't I find the last
Calamity Horde
for the quest that takes place in the 3rd floor of Naraku. So annoying.

"Why do you want me?"

"Because you're cute!"

"But I was going for badass, time to die!"

"Why do you want me?"

"Because you're badass!"

"But I was going for cute, time to die!"

Watashiwa

I think you meet Lucifer on the chaos path

I did, sorry!

Also, just saw a list of NG+ exclusive demons. Realized that I DO have to play the game four times if I want everything, so I might as well get the bad end. I'm going to be picking the "New life" NG+, which doesn't bring back skills, apps or demons... EXCEPT for skill slots. Which means you're a level 1 character with eight skill slots on yourself and your demons. That's about 200 points right there, plus compendium data and unlocked demons.

This time it'll be Neutral for sure!
Now excuse me, I have a universe to erase...

CSX

Level 50 spoilers...

Anyone know where the terminal for
shinjuku underground shelter.
?

Edit : found out just now. Just
go back where u started, kasumigeki and use that terminal

The second I do know is a factor, have you seen an event where the demon takes off after getting an item? Every so often they say something to the effect of "Wow, this has been boring, make it interesting next time." Cheating a demon, particularly when they've made a really ridiculous request, works as a correct response.

That doesn't seem to be a reflection of personality affecting correct choices. And I'm struggling to see why you don't think a randomized pattern couldn't bring about that result.

Meanwhile, if personality was a factor like in SJ, then there wouldn't be a reason for the SAME fucking demon to get mad at every single response on retry.

branny

Yeah, I feel like the game is wasting my time with the questions in negotiation. It's one thing if the demon is requesting an item/macca, but when the questions come up I just randomly pick something while rolling my eyes.
Agree with what everyone is saying. I'm playing FFXIII-2 at the same time as this, and I vastly prefer the chance to get enemies automatically as a drop in that game opposed to SMT4's way of handling it. Why bother even reading what demons are saying if it doesn't matter? It's all too random and time-consuming for my liking.

On that note, the same can actually be said for the grin/smirk mechanic. I was hoping it'd be more of a combo mechanic meant to move things along, but that's not quite what it ended up being. Instead we got this luck-based thing that comes out of nowhere and can spell game over in a single turn from an otherwise harmless random battle. I'd like to think that the Press Turn system is popular because you can manipulate your turns to come up with strategies for carefully managing each situation. Since enemies can take advantage of weaknesses, too, Press Turn also reasonably rewards players for being well-rounded and prepared. Smirking seems to go against that philosophy by being so random and balanced so heavily in favor of enemies. It's actually the opposite problem I had with some of Fire Emblem Awakening's mechanics vastly favoring the player. =\

My biggest complaint I have about this game is that you can't select all the items you want to sell and then hit a single button to sell them all.

Dresden

Since enemies can take advantage of weaknesses, too, Press Turn also reasonably rewards players for being well-rounded and prepared. Smirking seems to go against that philosophy by being so random and balanced so heavily in favor of enemies. It's actually the opposite problem I had with some of Fire Emblem Awakening's mechanics vastly favoring the player. =\

Smirking just amplifies risk/reward for managing (and mismanaging) turns, though. Like the rest of the game's balance, it'll start tilting in the player's favor as you go.

Main problem is your AI teammates.

My biggest complaint I have about this game is that you can't select all the items you want to sell and then hit a single button to sell them all.

No sorting skills, no soft reset. Those two bug me the most.

I also wouldn't mind a better, easier way of checking my alignment. I'm not usually a big fan of "good/evil bars", but in a game like this where you can be dicked out of the ending you want because of a single decision, it'd be nice to have easier access to your alignment points.

And yes, the game DESPERATELY needs a soft reset. It's amazing that they didn't put one in.

Watashiwa

I also wouldn't mind a better, easier way of checking my alignment. I'm not usually a big fan of "good/evil bars", but in a game like this where you can be dicked out of the ending you want because of a single decision, it'd be nice to have easier access to your alignment points.

And yes, the game DESPERATELY needs a soft reset. It's amazing that they didn't put one in.

There IS the load button right next to save. Also you can exit the game using the Home button, quit, and dive back in. Takes maybe three seconds more than a direct soft reset. Seeing as you can skip any cutscene you've already scene, I think the devs decided anything more was superfluous.

There IS the load button right next to save. Also you can exit the game using the Home button, quit, and dive back in. Takes maybe three seconds more than a direct soft reset. Seeing as you can skip any cutscene you've already scene, I think the devs decided anything more was superfluous.

When I die in combat, I don't want to spend three minutes going through the stupid game over screen. I refuse to pay Charon, because the dude is a fucking robber. So I have to sit through his stupid choices and say no twice, then get kicked back to the title screen.

Or I pop up the Home menu and force quit the game and reboot the game entirely from scratch, which takes just as long.

No, the game needs a way to immediately jump back to the title screen with no loading and no text. It's stupid that it doesn't in a game where you die as often as you do.

Hylian7

This boss (
Xi Wangmu
) is literally impossible and pretty much relies on luck. I maxed out my defensive buffs, then got unlucky and for both of his press turns he uses Maziodyne and Megaton Press, instantly killing my party, and there was nothing I could do about it. What. The. Fuck.

Dresden

HXAA doesn't take long, but it's still annoying to do.

No sorting skill slots bug me more though. I wish I could keep the two or three skills I use most at the top, but instead they're scattered all over.

This boss (
Xi Wangmu
) is literally impossible and pretty much relies on luck. I maxed out my defensive buffs, then got unlucky and for both of his press turns he uses Maziodyne and Megaton Press, instantly killing my party, and there was nothing I could do about it. What. The. Fuck.

Find a pokemon with lightning null or drain so it breaks the boss's turns.

C-Jo

I refuse to pay Charon, because the dude is a fucking robber. So I have to sit through his stupid choices and say no twice, then get kicked back to the title screen.
Yeah, he's the most questionable addition for me. His rates are ridiculous, and with save anywhere, he's really only there as a safety net. Even though I can fast-forward with X, having to do it every time I die is a bit tiresome.

Top Bottom