• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

scy

Loving the game so far but am stuck on a challenge quest.

In Ueno
where the hell do I find Kin-ki to get the LED light? I know I must be missing something obvious, because the guide is NOT helping.

It should be
Ueno -> Ameyoko Way (SE Exit of Ueno) -> Central Way -> Relic spawn on the eastern wall will actually be a Demon's domain that leads to him

magnetic

Can somebody help me out? I´ve been running in circles early in the story in Tokyo for two hours.

I met that friendly girl (can´t remember her name) that told me to go to a book store in Ikebukuro, but I can´t figure out where to go next. I wandered back and forth between the "ghost horse" bridge and the other river bridge with the guy that demands 500 bucks, I also tried that subway tunnel that says it leads to Ikebukuro, but I always end up in a dead end next to a big wall with a small hole in it and some broken highways. I assume it must be close by, but I believe I have to get it from some other direction...

I love the game so much, but that map is driving me nuts.

Need some help, Ginza story spoilers:

I'm in the quest in the Temple for the Ring of Gaea where I need to protect the candle to the end. I would prefer to complete this but my candle has little HP and I can't beat Taraka before it runs out of HP. Is there any sort of big penalty for failing the quest? Will it effect my alignment pretty seriously?

Ourobolus

Banned
Can somebody help me out? I´ve been running in circles early in the story in Tokyo for two hours.

I met that friendly girl (can´t remember her name) that told me to go to a book store in Ikebukuro, but I can´t figure out where to go next. I wandered back and forth between the "ghost horse" bridge and the other river bridge with the guy that demands 500 bucks, I also tried that subway tunnel that says it leads to Ikebukuro, but I always end up in a dead end next to a big wall with a small hole in it and some broken highways. I assume it must be close by, but I believe I have to get it from some other direction...

I had the same problem, but you need to stay in Shinjuku and go underground first. Take care of the quests there. I don't know when you go to Ikebukuro, since I'm still in Shinjuku though.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I was stuck there too for hours lol

IIRC, you need to go to an area close to Shinjuku [close to the poisonous water]and take a subway train there. That will take you to Ikebukuro.

NeonZ

Does anyone know where is the Shinjuku Golden Gai? There's a challenge mission where you're supposed to take pictures of a bar there, but I've walked around Shinjuku, and that name never seemed to pop up as the area name of any point.

You need to finish a couple of missions in Shinjuku before progressing. There's a challenge quest about killing corpses in Shinjuku which is actually part of the main game progress.

scy

I met that friendly girl (can´t remember her name) that told me to go to a book store in Ikebukuro, but I can´t figure out where to go next. I wandered back and forth between the "ghost horse" bridge and the other river bridge with the guy that demands 500 bucks, I also tried that subway tunnel that says it leads to Ikebukuro, but I always end up in a dead end.

Hard to say exactly since I don't know your main quest progress but
Hikaru is seen near Shinjuku. All you'll find in Ikebukuro now is the wall of fire you cannot pass. Your goal is to get to Shinjuku and complete some quests to progress the plot. If you missed it, there's an entire city (like Ueno) at Shinjuku's South Entrance

Does anyone know where is the Shinjuku Golden Gai? There's a challenge mission where you're supposed to take pictures of a bar there, but I've walked around Shinjuku, and that name never seemed to pop up as the area name of any point.

It's part of the Shinjuku East Entrance area where the
Exterminate the Corpses quest was. Edit: In particular, the northeast area there, if I recall

IIRC You need to do a challenge quest that's available from one of the NPCs in Shinjuku's underground region. I think you need to talk to the guy all the way to the west underground to get it.

Need some help, Ginza story spoilers:

I'm in the quest in the Temple for the Ring of Gaea where I need to protect the candle to the end. I would prefer to complete this but my candle has little HP and I can't beat Taraka before it runs out of HP. Is there any sort of big penalty for failing the quest? Will it effect my alignment pretty seriously?

As far as I'm aware, you just need to restart it if the candle runs out.

magnetic

Thanks guys! I will try all of that stuff out. I tend to take stuff like "go to Ikebukuro" quite literally, like GO THERE NOW. I definitely missed to check out some new quests.

NeonZ

Turns out I had already gone there, just didn't notice the name for some reason. Thanks for the help, I had written off that entire side already due to that.

Using Concentrate + Megido just OBLITERATED the Ueno Tournament Prelims.

I was actually laughing maniacally the entire time because of how easy the fights were with that pair of spells.

Sadly, the tournament pushed me up a few points into Law territory, so I'm going to have to double back quite a bit to make up for it. :[

Jessicat

Currently rocking

Zionga
Agilao
Bufula
Zanma
Energy Drain
Sukunda
Dekaja

on Flynn. I'll pick up the final skill slot after I get the Skill Mutation app. Seems to have been pretty good so far. I really haven't been doing a whole lot of calculated demon customization, but so far nothing has really come back to bite me in the ass...yet. Just got done killing off the corpses, but the boss at the end of the Insane Horde quest
Chernobog
is kicking my ass. Goddamn poison.
Try fusing Makami [Avatar type, lv 32 I think?] he knows Teterakarn, helped me get past the blights, lol
I have a similar skill set too, though I can't wait to get Agidyne:

Bufula +8
Zanma +8
Agilao +8
Zionga +2
Mediarama +1
Energy Drain +1
Concentrate +3
Rakunda +1
Weirdly been having trouble finding food zio-based demons, that's why my Zionga is only +2 o_O Also I tend to forget to use Mediarama in battles, I blame the turn order XD

Also, spoilers, re: post Kagome Tower -
Where do I go now? I don't know how to get to Shibuya and it's bothering me running around lost ._.; Help?

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Yes, they do stack, thrice. You can press X and see how many multipliers are currently applied to each character on the field. Note that if you swap out a demon and replace them with another one the replacement won't carry the bonuses. When no one can receive a further buffs, the spell will be grayed out.

Well, if you talk with the minor npcs you meet, it's generally pretty obvious when a challenge quest is actually part of the required story. At least, up to the point I've played.

Thanks for the info - just three times, that may be similar to Nocturne, I believe.

I'll have to try and remember the specific quest when I get home, but I'm pretty sure completing the challenge quest was unexpected for me, especially since I had resolved not to do any sidequests until I had advanced further into the main story. For reference, I'm at 51hrs of playtime, only at level 25, and I'm just now making it to Shinjuku (or it might be Shibuya). Obviously, I must have fell asleep with the game running at some point (yeah, that's it).

Sometimes the info from the NPCs is crystal clear, other time less so, but you're probably right - in one case early on, I had a flash and remembered to go back and talk to the guy who runs the overpriced ferry for crossing the river. Not keeping track as I should is time consuming :)

Ourobolus

Banned
Try fusing Makami [Avatar type, lv 32 I think?] he knows Teterakarn, helped me get past the blights, lol
Yeah, I'm only 28 right now, so that'll have to wait. I'm hoping to get as much Sukunda and Sukukaja off as possible at the beginning, so I'm just hoping they decide to throw me a bone and let me get the first attack one of these attempts. After that I shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Although, apparently Dantalion is also Lv 32 and has both Tetrakarn and Makarakarn. Might have to get him when he's available.

It should be
Ueno -> Ameyoko Way (SE Exit of Ueno) -> Central Way -> Relic spawn on the eastern wall will actually be a Demon's domain that leads to him

OK thanks, I missed the second exit out of Ueno. I thought it was another place on the world map. Done and done. Now to deliver film.

Watashiwa

Odd. I somehow managed to get onto the Law path, despite swinging real hard for Chaos for the last bit. Confirmed too; even picking the final choice for Chaos gets me the Law route.

Freaking weird is what this is. Oh well. For God and the Millennium Kingdom!

Reloaded my save so I could get some chaos points out of the tournament and now I'm dying every time again.

I kind of fucking hate the battle system in this game sometimes. Letting the enemies ALWAYS go first in the tournament is just unbelievably goddamn stupid. No matter how strong you are, if they pull off a good attack they can wipe your entire party and you can't do a thing to stop it, because Atlus thought getting rid of Endurance was a good idea.

Tenks

Is Minotaur the Matador of SMT4? I swear I cannot beat this guy and I've breezed through almost everything else so far -_-

Also how do I fuse Ares? I'm having a hard time reading the fusion guide in the provided strategy guide.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is Minotaur the Matador of SMT4? I swear I cannot beat this guy and I've breezed through almost everything else so far -_-

Also how do I fuse Ares? I'm having a hard time reading the fusion guide in the provided strategy guide.

Ares is lv 31, and it's a regular fusion. You've got a ways.

NeonZ

No matter how strong you are, if they pull off a good attack they can wipe your entire party and you can't do a thing to stop it, because Atlus thought getting rid of Endurance was a good idea.

I mostly really like the lack of endurance here. About 90% of the time, this is my favorite turn based battle system. It's kind of cool to stumble upon a lvl 75 boss with a lvl21 party... and still win.

On the other hand, there's the other 10%. They really should have considered this limitation better while designing encounters. Making some boss battles randomly start with surprise attacks for the bosses can result in basically unwinnable situations due to the lack of endurance. And the random factor just shows how they weren't even worried about balancing them.

There really shouldn't be forced surprise attacks in this game due to how it works - the only surprise attacks should happen due to the player' own fault on the field - or maybe dialogue choices, not forced ones where sometimes you have to hope for a mistake from the AI. At the very least, if they wanted some first attack advantages for the AI at times, it should be scripted in such a way that they couldn't just wipe out the player there.

You can't fuse Ares early on. You need to be higher level, in spite of unlocking him so early. Same goes to most early bosses. You get all these messages about unlocking them, but will need to get to around lvl 20 to start getting some.

Tenks

Great thanks for the responses guys. Guess I was confused with how you obtain his unlock requirement far prior to being able to fuse him.

I mostly really like the lack of endurance here. About 90% of the time, this is my favorite turn based battle system. It's kind of cool to stumble upon a lvl 75 boss with a lvl21 party... and still win.

On the other hand, there's the other 10%. They really should have considered this limitation better while designing encounters. Making some boss battles randomly start with surprise attacks for the bosses can result in basically unwinnable situations due to the lack of endurance. And the random factor just shows how they weren't even worried about balancing them.

There really shouldn't be forced surprise attacks in this game due to how it works - the only surprise attacks should happen due to the player' own fault on the field - or maybe dialogue choices, not forced ones where sometimes you have to hope for a mistake from the AI. At the very least, if they wanted some first attack advantages for the AI at times, it should be scripted in such a way that they couldn't just wipe out the player there.

Exactly. I had to reload 14 times before I managed to get through the tournament without the enemy wiping my party on the first turn. It's not fun, and it honestly makes me not want to play the game anymore when it happens. I'm more than overleveled for the fights, but it's still happening over and over again.

They really should've made it so any battle you consent to gives you the option to act right off the bat. Not necessarily a first strike bonus, but just letting you react as soon as battle starts instead of instant murder.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a fusion guide for this yet? Trying to make a kanbari and whatever the other one was for the quests. While kanbari is a special fusion and easy to find, not sure where to get some of his ingredient demons. Can't find the other one at all in search.

Sleepy

With how inheritances work now, it's easy to just stockpile null skills. Tao Tie comes with three null elements already.

And get the skill augment app. Top three app in the game.

Basically what Dresden said, I used that website that lists out how to fuse demons and made sure that I let the new demons inherit the null skills that I wanted and before too long I had my relatively indestructible Loki.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks.

Also, when is the new DLC coming?

I've been searching for a good two hours and still cannot find the Shinjuku terminal. Is it in the same building as the guy who goes "BRING MORE MACCA NEXT TIME" and the bar with a heal option that costs 100?

I've been searching for a good two hours and still cannot find the Shinjuku terminal. Is it in the same building as the guy who goes "BRING MORE MACCA NEXT TIME" and the bar with a heal option that costs 100?

Yeah there should be a gate and a button to open it with. The terminal is in there.

Ourobolus

Banned

It's behind the metal fence in the middle of the hallway. Alternatively, you can go upstairs and into the back of the area to find an elevator to take you down, but you'll still need to open the fence from the "town" side.

Watashiwa

Shinjuku terminal? Heh. Try this: You know where you first came into the underground? Right across from there is a gated passage. Open the gate, go right. Terminal's right there.

Another option is to go outside, to the main entrance. Past the turnstiles is an elevator that goes to the same area, except you have to open the gate (from the other side) to access the main area.

So did I end up on the "bad" ending?

I ask because
after defeating King Kenji, I was told by the Whites that I was the true Messiah and that only by returning the world to nothingness could Humanity be free of God's Will. If I choose not to return the world to nothingness, my only two other options are to maintain the Status Quo (Law) or whatever the hell Chaos equates to

If the answer is yes, it's not too big a deal. I'll just start a new game + and try for neutral route this time.

I ask because
after defeating King Kenji, I was told by the Whites that I was the true Messiah and that only by returning the world to nothingness could Humanity be free of God's Will. If I choose not to return the world to nothingness, my only two other options are to maintain the Status Quo (Law) or whatever the hell Chaos equates to

Which did you choose?

Nexas

I ask because

If the answer is yes, it's not too big a deal. I'll just start a new game + and try for neutral route this time.

Yep bad end.

I went with the nothingness just to see, I haven't technically saved since doing that so I could always restart and choose one of the other options.

Yeah, that's the "bad" ending. If you were trying for the neutral ending, you had to choose the law or chaos option. The White Men confirm your alignment afterwards.

I ask because

If you're aiming for Neutral, you've hopefully balanced your choices along the way. The easiest way being to generally swing to one side, then choose the opposite alignment for Lilith. Keep in mind refusing the White ending is an automatic +5 (Law) to your alignment rating. Maintaining the status quo is +10 and upending order is -10, but in reality it's either +15 or -5. Saying you don't know just returns you to the first question.

Yeah, that's the "bad" ending. If you were trying for the neutral ending, you had to choose the law or chaos option. The White Men confirm your alignment afterwards.

Interesting, I could conceivably reload and still go neutral? Or I guess it would depend on what my alignment was. Ah well, I guess I'll reload the save and see what happens.

Edit:
If you're aiming for Neutral, you've hopefully balanced your choices along the way. The easiest way being to generally swing to one side, then choose the opposite alignment for Lilith. Keep in mind refusing the White ending is an automatic +5 (Law) to your alignment rating. Maintaining the status quo is +10 and upending order is -10, but in reality it's either +15 or -5. Saying you don't know just returns you to the first question.

I'll take that into consideration, honestly I'm not too sure which way I was leaning alignment-wise prior to this fight. I guess I'll find out after work.

Watashiwa

I went with the nothingness just to see, I haven't technically saved since doing that so I could always restart and choose one of the other options.

That really depends. Each of the alignment routes has New Game+ only demons, so you're going to be playing the game four times if you want all of them anyway. The only reason I'd argue against it is that you're going to be playing the opening stages over again, and they're nowhere near as interesting as the alignment content.

InsaneElite: Is that so? Damn everything, THAT'S why I got locked to Law.

Nexas

The preserve the status quo and destroy the status quo options are the final alignment choices. They each give ten points to their respective alignment and whatever your alignment is after choosing determines your route. So if you choose destroy the status quo with a slight law bias you'll get the neutral path and vice versa.

MechaX

Huh.. That was unexpected. Early Shinjuku area spoilers:
I was shitting bricks when I happened to stumble on to Erikong (level 75 wtf), and he wiped out everyone with a single multi-target ziodyne. ... Except Raiju. I put the game on auto battle, not expecting to win, and lo and behold, the boss has nothing besides his normal attack that can down Raiju. And after soloing a level 75 boss, he still gets shit exp.

Busaiku

Die for Me vs Judgment Light
Which is probably more useful overall?

I've got Judgement Light already from Anubis, and it'll be +2 soon enough.

ACESmkII

Does anyone know if there is a site that has a detailed map? I keep walking around all over Shinjuku and Tokyo like a chicken with his head cut off.

It's not helping that there is poison clouds everywhere.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a site that has a detailed map? I keep walking around all over Shinjuku and Tokyo like a chicken with his head cut off.

It's not helping that there is poison clouds everywhere.

You can move the camera with the shoulder buttons. Also check the lower screen map.

Top Bottom