• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

esoterika

Neo Member
Is anyone having luck using physical based demons? I'm at 34 and I just don't find them useful, but having to choose large MP pool demons is really limiting. I feel like the only way to make them useful is to get Chakra Walk and Extend MP on them, both of which are pain in the butt skills to transfer from specific magic demons. While the physical skills themselves are pretty good (Megaton Press, anyone?), they cost too much for the sub 100 mana pools some of these demons have.

I miss it when physical skills cost HP and not MP.

Hylian7

HXAA doesn't take long, but it's still annoying to do.

No sorting skill slots bug me more though. I wish I could keep the two or three skills I use most at the top, but instead they're scattered all over.

Find a pokemon with lightning null or drain so it breaks the boss's turns.

I tried that strategy, he just used Megaton Press and one-shotted that demon.

Dresden

Is anyone having luck using physical based demons? I'm at 34 and I just don't find them useful, but having to choose large MP pool demons is really limiting. I feel like the only way to make them useful is to get Chakra Walk and Extend MP on them, both of which are pain in the butt skills to transfer from specific magic demons. While the physical skills themselves are pretty good (Megaton Press, anyone?), they cost too much for the sub 100 mana pools some of these demons have.

I miss it when physical skills cost HP and not MP.

Party MP Recovery helps a ton, but yeah, I've never found them to be useful. No stat stacking means their damage lags far behind and the utility of a mp-stacked demon with buffs and heals overrides any benefits a physical demon might have.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Virtual Battle 6 is really hard.

This boss (
Xi Wangmu
) is literally impossible and pretty much relies on luck. I maxed out my defensive buffs, then got unlucky and for both of his press turns he uses Maziodyne and Megaton Press, instantly killing my party, and there was nothing I could do about it. What. The. Fuck.

Took her down on my second try. Lol

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Negotiating in this game is awful.

I just answered the same question from the exact same demon in the same fight all three ways possible and every choice ended with an immediate attack.

In strange journey there were personality types and once you learned them you could predict most if the answers. That was OK, not great, but at least made sense. This system sucks. Might as well just show us a rolling dice.

How is it that people suck at negotiating so much?

I can get basically any demon I want. I give them life stones, I give them low amounts of Macca, and If I have given them 2 things that they wanted and cheat on the third request, they are ok with it. It works 90% of the time.

Work on those negotiating skills, duders.

How is it that people suck at negotiating so much?

I can get basically any demon I want. I give them life stones, I give them low amounts of Macca, and If I have given them 2 things that they wanted and cheat on the third request, they are ok with it. It works 90% of the time.

Work on those negotiating skills, duders.

It might help if you actually explained how it worked.

esoterika

Neo Member
I just got her down to being red, and then suddenly MEGATON PRESS, MEGATON PRESS, FUCK YOU ENTIRE PARTY DEAD!

Depending on your level, you could spend time trying to get a demon with Tetrakarn (phys repel). Kanbari (27), Dantalian (32), Ares (31), Makami (32).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It might help if you actually explained how it worked.

A lot of demons react to the answers you give the same way. For example, there are some demons that ask if you consider them ugly. I have answered "is not about looks" and it works every single damn time. The one time it didn't was with a demon that was an asshole and didn't accept any answer, so I learned that the "polite" answer was not the way to go with her.

Caladrius

Magic's the completely OP stat in this one, right?

Magic is better is most SMT games. The only definitive exception is Nocturne, where Physical skills combined with pierce (overrides phys immunity) eventually outstrip magic in attack power.

The fact that there's no stat cap in this one just accentuates the advantage that snagging extra press turns from elemental weaknesses gets.

Soriku

Doing sidequest cleanup since I deliberately skipped most of them for much of the game. There's some really awesome quests.

You didn't do them so you can get on the Neutral path right easily right? Were any of the quests missable? Also did you follow one of the methods for getting Neutral posted in this thread?

I'm kinda worried if I skip out on the quests the ones that have you fight bosses will be too easy.

I ended up finding this site (SPOILERS) (Google translate version here) that lists the Challenge Quests (as well as storyline choices) that affect your alignment. I wonder if I can balance the choices so I can still do all the Quests as I go along the game while ending up with my alignment on Neutral.

Caladrius

Physical Skill was also insanely powerful in Devil Survivor 2.

I loved having Hinako and Jungo rip enemy teams to pieces in that one. I couldn't say no to 40 MAG Drain and almighty attacks on my MC though. I felt like DS2 got the phys/mag balance perfect in that one.

PK Gaming

Late game challenge quests help

I've landed myself in "wasteland tokyo" or w/e its called and there are still a few challenge quests that need completing. For starters, the game wants me to slay a demon in Ikebukuro... how do I get to Ikebukuro, the terminal only takes me to Shibuya. There's also a quest involving the DDF and a cannon. Where do I take the cannon

Jesus christ, the tournament is unbelievable. They always attack first! I can barely make it through the god damn first fight, and then there's more?

PK Gaming

Hinako's Hassohappa: most powerful SMT skill ever.

Don't you mean Multistrike? The thing that made her great was her high strength in conjuction with her speed stat. That made her the undisputed best Multstrike user in the game.

It also turned Atsuro and into a god in DS:O. It's a ridiculously good ability. (and I want to see it again :kappa:)

magnetic

The virtual battle theme is GODLIKE. That surely is a SNES remix, right? With those soft organ-synths...

I also like the puzzle-like concept of those challenges. I've played a handful of SMT titles but never quite fully grasped the whole depth of those battles, so this is a welcome addition.

Oh, and a restart/retry button would have been nice. Oh well.

BlackJace

Jesus christ, the tournament is unbelievable. They always attack first! I can barely make it through the god damn first fight, and then there's more?

1) Know all demon weaknesses
2) Save the hunters for last
3) the bad company skill helps a lot
4) heal heal heal
5) constantly swap out demons

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Don't you mean Multistrike? The thing that made her great was her high strength in conjuction with her speed stat. That made her the undisputed best Multstrike user in the game.

It also turned Atsuro and into a god in DS:O. It's a ridiculously good ability. (and I want to see it again :kappa:)

Yeah, multi strike. She could bitch slap mobs of enemies in seconds. <3

Bogeypop

Late-game boss:
This fight with Mahayuri would have been a ridiculous war of Magic reflect attrition with his constant debuffing since I wouldn't be able to buff myself enough to do significant damage to him, but thankfully mid-fight I remembered I'd fused the perfect demon for the situation, my Dullahan with Luster Candy + Dekunda!

Caladrius

Yeah, multi strike. She could bitch slap mobs of enemies in seconds. <3

Edit 2:eek:ops. I was about to say I never thought to put Hasso on her, then I remembered that was HP based. I kept wishing there was an equally strong Magic combo in terms of damage instead of survivability.

Definitely going to try a Phys build on IV's NG+. The game doesn't feel very challenging with magic+agility overkill.

magnetic

I just want a soft reset in general. :(

It's inconveivable how they just forgot to implement a soft reset. There's so much love, care and polish in that game, and then...this.

And I finally found my way into Shinjuku. Note to self: Next time I'm certain I've completely checked an area, LOOK AGAIN. The entrance was completely obvious, and yet I kept searching the dumb world map for hours. Classic "don't see the wood for the trees".

Can anyone explain to me the differences between Law/Neutral/Chaos? I'm aware these correspond to dialogue choices, but how they affect the game?

LProtag

My Yoshitsune is still serving me well a good 12 levels or so after I got him.

I want to use him to fuse everything to get his amazing HP up skill, but he costs so much from the compendium.

Vamphuntr

Since no one answered my questions before I did a bit of work myself and managed to find a neat little sidequest. It unlocks 6 new fusion. You can only do this late in the game after your alignment is set in stone. I'm neutral so I'm not sure if the other 2 alignment can do it.

If you go back to Tayama's office you will find the samurai he was holding hostage. He'll give you back the card keys to reverse hills. Go in the basement and talk to the guy where the red pills plant was. He'll unlock the door near the elevator. In one of the new door a guy will give you a password to the password locked rooms. It's 1?03 and you can try over until you find the ?. Inside you fight Tayama's Yaso Magatsuhi. Exit and go back to Tayama's office. The Samurai will now give you the 6 medium Tayama had to invoke his demons : Koga Saburo, Yaso Magatsuhi, Omoikane, Michizane, Yamato Takeru and Tenkai. Go back to the place each one of them died (the stone slabs) and you will unlock their fusions.

It's the SMT with the most content for sure. I keep finding things.

Gartooth

Just tried registering my Gamestop code in order to get the DLC clothes for this game and to my surprise it didn't work, never really had that experience before registering codes. I don't really give a shit about this DLC regardless considering I just preordered to get the special edition, but how long do Nintendo eShop codes typically last, did I try to register it too late?

PK Gaming

My Yoshitsune is still serving me well a good 12 levels or so after I got him.

I want to use him to fuse everything to get his amazing HP up skill, but he costs so much from the compendium.

(glares)

Oh yeah, does anyone have Jonathan avatar? He just stepped in the story, so I was thinking of switching avatars.

Since no one answered my questions before I did a bit of work myself and managed to find a neat little sidequest. It unlocks 6 new fusion. You can only do this late in the game after your alignment is set in stone. I'm neutral so I'm not sure if the other 2 alignment can do it.

If you go back to Tayama's office you will find the samurai he was holding hostage. He'll give you back the card keys to reverse hills. Go in the basement and talk to the guy where the red pills plant was. He'll unlock the door near the elevator. In one of the new door a guy will give you a password to the password locked rooms. It's 1?03 and you can try over until you find the ?. Inside you fight Tayama's Yaso Magatsuhi. Exit and go back to Tayama's office. The Samurai will now give you the 6 medium Tayama had to invoke his demons : Koga Saburo, Yaso Magatsuhi, Omoikane, Michizane, Yamato Takeru and Tenkai. Go back to the place each one of them died (the stone slabs) and you will unlock their fusions.

You don't have to do the side quest to unlock the divinities. Just talk to the samurai twice. Still, cool info.

I didn't even have to do all that.

I just
talked to the Samurai on two separate occasions after returning and he gave them to me. Second time was after some sidequests and things. He mentioned scouring the entire room for stuff because he was bored. :p

Just tried registering my Gamestop code in order to get the DLC clothes for this game and to my surprise it didn't work, never really had that experience before registering codes. I don't really give a shit about this DLC regardless considering I just preordered to get the special edition, but how long do Nintendo eShop codes typically last, did I try to register it too late?
Did you enter it in on the DLC menu in-game? It only works there. Also I think the free 99c DLC that popped up is the GS armor, since I only have the Auric armor in my list and not the other one. So maybe it getting released voided the pre-order codes?

Gartooth

I didn't even have to do all that.

Did you enter it in on the DLC menu in-game? It only works there. Also I think the free 99c DLC that popped up is the GS armor, since I only have the Auric armor in my list and not the other one. So maybe it getting released voided the pre-order codes?

Thanks, that might be the problem because I tried it through the eShop instead of in game.

Ikebukuro Station. There's an area that was blocked by flames that will be open now.

I've been searching for a good hour and can't find wherever you are talking about.

There is no area blocked by flame, or at least not a second one. You know I meant after the defeat of the Ikubukuro boss right?
The lady that eats everyone from that Gaea cult.

Top Bottom