• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Matchew

I didn't link up my 3DS to my Club Nintendo account into after I downloaded Fire Emblem. Emailed Nintendo's support and they were able to put Fire Emblem on my Club Nintendo, so now I'm all in! I'll gladly spend $50 and get all the first print goodies and get $30 back to spend on the eShop. Great deal and great support from Nintendo.

Reclaimer

It's a lot less dialogue heavy than Persona. After the initial sequence with you becoming a Samurai, you're thrown right into the tutorial dungeon, and after that things open up more and more, and cutscenes aren't very long in general.

I loved Persona for the dialog/characters, and thought the dungeon crawling to be good... But the combat grind it left me hungry. I didn't really have to think much during combat once I got the hang of it.

Does less cutscenes in SMT mean a less emphasized story than Petsona, or just a more concise one? If I'm going to be playing for 50+ hours, personally it can't be just for the grind of combat.

Nags

Banned
I loved Persona for the dialog/characters, and thought the dungeon crawling to be good... But the combat grind it left me hungry. I didn't really have to think much during combat once I got the hang of it.

Does less cutscenes in SMT mean a less emphasized story than Petsona, or just a more concise one? If I'm going to be playing for 50+ hours, personally it can't be just for the grind of combat.

Might not be for you. But if you're a collector... well, yeah.

MechaX

This game coming out is probably the absolute worst combination for bar exam studying ever. But eh, I have been waiting for this for too long.

I personally found the story in SMT IV to be pretty sweet. It's really different from the Persona games, but interesting and certainly dark/fucked up.

ZenComp

Neo Member

It's both less emphasized and more concise. You'll definitely not spend hours just talking without battles, but I found the combat to be generally much less repetitive than in P3/4.
The story itself is also greatly different in tone. I think you should just be cautious on whether to get this game or not.

Rhodan

Neo Member
Man, now that the reviews are coming in I can't stop feeling hype.

It's just six more days, but for some reason it's become farther away today than it was yesterday.

After every review I read it just seems further and further away, I really gotta stop reading anything about the game again (been avoiding everything up until reading the reviews today)

I hear ya. Thankfully I'm playing the awesome Phoenix Wright trilogy to make the wait less harder.

Are you me? Literally doing the exact same thing, up the Circus in Justice for All ;)

jackal27

Banned
Yeah! Convinced my brother to pick this up! It'll be his first Megaten game. I hope he enjoys it. He loves Dark Souls, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter so I have a feeling he'll get into it.

Are there any multiplayer/Streetpass features in this game?

diggler41

Just finished P4 Golden yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I bought Persona 2 EP back in 2001 and hated it so I was pleasantly surprised. So today I went to Gamestop and preordered SMT IV. $50 but look at all the cool stuff ya get! :) Also picked up Strange Journey for around $12 since a friend recommended it and it's apparently kind hard to find. I am excited for next week.

ZenComp

Neo Member
So do we know how much DLC there's gonna be?

The last DLC was just released a few hours ago in Japan. There is a total of 14 non-pre-order DLC packs. 6 are equipment packs, 3 are grinding quest packs (with an extra demon included in each), and 5 are extra boss quests.

ranmafan

One thing that I'm most interested in hearing about is how detailed the guide is that comes with the game. Sadly we didn't get such a guide with the Japanese release. I ended up buying one of those starter guides around release that helped me a bit through some battles. I wonder if its like that one. Either way I know I'll probably pick up the big perfect guide being released in Japan this month sometime.

extralite

It should be noted the Greek origin of the word demon means spirit or divine being. The original term thus did not imply either good or evil.

But the word used to refer to demons in the Japanese versions of the games is akuma. That actually means evil demon or devil. When the early games use English to refer to the akuma they usually spoke of devils, as in Devil Buster which was the title of the game that was the demon summoning program.

Demons you befriend are called nakama, which usually means colleague/fellow but in this case the ma is replaced with the ma from akuma, so it means fellow demon.

Angels are supposed to be good maybe, but the stance of some of the games was that the angels and god are actually the true evil who would claim a monopoly on being good to denounce the other demons.

So it's mostly a perspective thing. Demons thought evil might not actually be and angels thought to be good might actually be evil (too). In the end the player has to decide, that's why they get to choose their alignment.

One thing that I'm most interested in hearing about is how detailed the guide is that comes with the game. Sadly we didn't get such a guide with the Japanese release. I ended up buying one of those starter guides around release that helped me a bit through some battles. I wonder if its like that one. Either way I know I'll probably pick up the big perfect guide being released in Japan this month sometime.

The oficial unboxing video says it covers about 30-40% of the game.

Goby

Banned
I've been wondering something about this game. As far as gameplay is concerned, how close is the SMT series to the Persona series? I ask because I played Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I hated it. I gave up after there was like 10 minutes of gameplay in the first 3 hours of the game. Now is SMT4 supposed to be the same? If it's mostly cut-scenes with very little gameplay I'll pass.

Buy 10 copies

vall03

Not sure if this has been mentioned or asked before but to those who are playing/played the JP version, how much is the total of all the DLCs?

Soulhouf

Does this game do the "your demons should be the same alignment" thing that Strange Journey did?

Are you talking about the co-op attacks? Because in Strange Journey you could mix law and chaos demons just like in the modern megaten.

I wish IV had the alignment restriction when recruiting demons. At least that would make alignment matters beyond story impact.

Are you talking about the co-op attacks? Because in Strange Journey you could mix law and chaos demons just like in the modern megaten.

I wish IV had the alignment restriction when recruiting demons. At least that would make alignment matters beyond story impact.

Yes I mean co-op attacks.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, the impression I get is it's more art book than strategy guide. With 176 pages and only a fraction of the game covered in terms of a guide book, should be a pretty nice visual companion.

I think only the first 15 pages are artworks. The rest is all strategy.

GeekyDad

Best Buy just sent me an email stating that my copy of SMT4 just shipped this morning!!

The hype is real!

lCGM8kl.gif

Just got the same email. Knew I could count on BB to get it at least on release day. Maybe it will get here even a day or two before.

I'm tempted to get a 3DS XL for this game. Is it worth it if I already own a vanilla 3DS?

I'm positive that it will be worth it either way. It will mostly depend how you want to play it (2D vs 3D) in regards
to the whole debate between which 3DS has the better viewing angles for 3D and all that jazz.

Each path does have different end-game equipment and demons, though, as well as optional side quests. They're not really that much of a big deal, and it's better to just choose what you prefer in the story. You can then look forward to unlocking new things from other paths in subsequent playthroughs if you wish to do them.

Is there any new game + content?

ranmafan

I'm tempted to get a 3DS XL for this game. Is it worth it if I already own a vanilla 3DS?

I ended up upgrading to an xl earlier in the year for this game and others and it was well worth it for me. It has made playing smtiv perfect for me, along with dragon quest VII, and bravely default. I'm so glad I made the upgrade.

ranmafan

rub it in already jeeze!

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. I tend to forget everyone else is waiting for them in the west. But I always like to make a point about them and the xl cause really, they are so much better on it than the regular 3ds I find. I wish everyone could enjoy all those games soon. Waiting sucks that's for sure.

I'm positive that it will be worth it either way. It will mostly depend how you want to play it (2D vs 3D) in regards
to the whole debate between which 3DS has the better viewing angles for 3D and all that jazz.

I usually play with 3d on, I've never used an XL before so I'm not sure which version has a better viewing angle. I'll think about it a bit, thanks. :)

*edit* Thanks all for the replies, it helps.

Top Bottom