• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

coopolon

How is it that people suck at negotiating so much?

I can get basically any demon I want. I give them life stones, I give them low amounts of Macca, and If I have given them 2 things that they wanted and cheat on the third request, they are ok with it. It works 90% of the time.

Work on those negotiating skills, duders.

No one is talking about the actual negotiation part. That is brainless.

We are complaining about the conversation part. The answers, as best I can tell, are completely random. Like the example I gave, there were no right answers for that demon, or the answers were randomized every time and I kept choosing the wrong one.

In previous games (like Strange Journey) every demon had a personality type and that determined what answers would get you to negotiation. It is true there was a small chance they wouldn't work like normal, but that was pretty unusual (unless it was full moon.)

As far as I can tell, that is not the case here. It's just random which answers will get you to negotiation, make them run away, or attack. If this is not true, could you please provide some analysis? Which demons are which personality types, and which answers do they always (or at least vast majority of time) like?

No one is talking about the negotiation part. That is brainless.

We are complaining about the conversation part. The answers, as best I can tell, are completely random. Like the example I gave, there were no right answers for that demon, or the answers were randomized every time and I kept choosing the wrong one.

In previous games (like Strange Journey) every demon had a personality type and that determined what answers would get you to negotiation. It is true there was a small chance they wouldn't work like normal, but that was pretty unusual (unless it was full moon.)

As far as I can tell, that is not the case here. It's just random which answers will get you to negotiation, make them run away, or attack. If this is not true, could you please provide some analysis? Which demons are which personality types, and which answers do they always (or at least vast majority of time) like?

I had the pleasure of entering conversation with another Chupacabra and getting this exchange:

"Are you a monkey?"

"Yes."

ATTACK

"Are you a monkey?"

"No."

ATTACK

"Are you a monkey?"

"Yes"

Oh ok.

I've been searching for a good hour and can't find wherever you are talking about.

There is no area blocked by flame, or at least not a second one. You know I meant after the defeat of the Ikubukuro boss right?
The lady that eats everyone from that Gaea cult.

Right,
when you defeat that boss the barriers she had set up around Ikebukuro dissipate. There was a flame barrier in the Ikebukuro Station you may have noticed if you explored around there before heading to the boss. It's an exit east of the terminal. The flames are now gone and that exit is now open. Going through there you can get to the East Entrance of the station, and in there you'll find the bookstore you're looking for.

Right,
when you defeat that boss the barriers she had set up around Ikebukuro dissipate. There was a flame barrier in the Ikebukuro Station you may have noticed if you explored around there before heading to the boss. It's an exit east of the terminal. That exit is now open. Going through there you can get to the East Entrance of the station, and in there you'll find the bookstore you're looking for.

Alright thanks. East of terminal I go!

Now that I'm firmly set upon the neutral path, I think I will go do some random quests and kill sometime so that I can make this game last a bit longer.

Vamphuntr

So how do you get fiends to appear? In some location NPCs are saying there is a fiend around but I've never found any outside of one in the very beginning of the game which was a quest.

njean777

Man this game is outrageously hard at the start. I am at the part with the poisonous hallway and it really drives me crazy they even included that. It's like cheap as hell IMO. The game is already challenging but let's makes you walk through this hallway before a mini boss fight.

BlackJace

Man this game is outrageously hard at the start. I am at the part with the poisonous hallway and it really drives me crazy they even included that. It's like cheap as hell IMO. The game is already challenging but let's makes you walk through this hallway before a mini boss fight.

Just wait till you see Blight.

Just made it to the choice after Shene Duque.
Is this what locks in my alignment path for the rest of the game? I'm going with Walter to talk to Lilith, but I'm guessing Isabeau is the "harbinger" of the neutral path?

Atlantis

Take your demons out of the active party before you run across and the hallway won't poison them. There's a poison cure item in a chest at the start of the floor, so that should cover the MC.

Just be careful not to get into and fights before you're across and able to fill your party again.

Post Circle of Gaea, midtown dungeon boss help:
Famed Tenkai? What's a good strategy to beat him? Also does this fight lock me into a set L/C/N path?

Finally beat the game on the Neutral path. Pretty sad that it's finally over, but it's common with SMT games for me. What a goddamn blast of a game. An incredibly strong contender for my personal GOTY, and after I take a short break, I'll be heading right back in for the other endings and NG+. I've still got to take a while to digest and discuss the story, but overall this is one of my favorite SMT games. I'll wait a while to determine, but it's likely one of my favorite games of all time as well.

My clear time is below, spoilered just in case.
47:52:14 in-game, the Activity Log (including all my wipes and such) puts it at 60:41. Times played? 189. That soft reset would have been nice.

Finally beat the game on the Neutral path. Pretty sad that it's finally over, but it's common with SMT games for me. What a goddamn blast of a game. An incredibly strong contender for my personal GOTY, and after I take a short break, I'll be heading right back in for the other endings and NG+. I've still got to take a while to digest and discuss the story, but overall this is one of my favorite SMT games. I'll wait a while to determine, but it's likely one of my favorite games of all time as well.

My clear time is below, spoilered just in case.
47:52:14 in-game, the Activity Log (including all my wipes and such) puts it at 60:41. Times played? 189. That soft reset would have been nice.

Great to hear. Also happy about that game time. How many side quests did you do?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Late game alignment spoilers I guess:
I guess I played the game TOO PERFECTLY neutral because I'm locked out of the neutral path entirely. If I try either option I get dumped on the chaos or law paths. Ugh, that's what I get for choosing things I would actually think. It's kind of silly that those who are neutral alignment don't get the neutral ending. They should have had "Find another way" as an option that doesn't give points to either side. I guess I'll zoom through a second playthrough with a guide just to get the ending I feel I deserve!

khaaan

Any tips for
the boss/enemy David
that shows up in the Dance Of The Dead quest? I can take hits from most attacks but I've been having crap luck with Mamudo. I've tried increasing my hit/evasion rate as far as it'll go but it feels like I have no choice but to deal someone getting insta-killed.

I have now completed (main storywise) everything the strategy guide covers in the game!

Shibuya boss spoilers
totally stomped Koga in about 3 turns thanks to tarukaja, tetrakarn, and my best friend when I'm too wimpy to figure out enemy's weaknesses: Megido

Feels good, feels good.

Nexas

Late game alignment spoilers I guess:
I guess I played the game TOO PERFECTLY neutral because I'm locked out of the neutral path entirely. If I try either option I get dumped on the chaos or law paths. Ugh, that's what I get for choosing things I would actually think. It's kind of silly that those who are neutral alignment don't get the neutral ending. They should have had "Find another way" as an option that doesn't give points to either side. I guess I'll zoom through a second playthrough with a guide just to get the ending I feel I deserve!

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I had a save that was about an hour back, and all I had to do was change one minor choice.

Any tips for
the boss/enemy David
that shows up in the Dance Of The Dead quest? I can take hits from most attacks but I've been having crap luck with Mamudo. I've tried increasing my hit/evasion rate as far as it'll go but it feels like I have no choice but to deal someone getting insta-killed.

My strategy for that fight was Bad Company, Bad Company, Bad Company. I believe over the first two rounds I also Sukukaja'd the hell out of my main party, and I also had resist dark armor for the MC. I believe by the end of the battle I'd gone through all but 2 of my demons, but I managed to survive and win. Definitely a battle of attrition on my apart.

Sidequest help

Ive done the camera quest for Golden Gai and the camera quest for Kasumigaseki.
Where can I find the person for the next camera quest?

Sidequest help

Ive done the camera quest for Golden Gai and the camera quest for Kasumigaseki.
Where can I find the person for the next camera quest?

The next one is in Shinjuku (check everywhere, I can't remember exactly where), IIRC. The guy wants two pictures from Ikebukuro.

The virtual battle theme is GODLIKE. That surely is a SNES remix, right? With those soft organ-synths...

I also like the puzzle-like concept of those challenges. I've played a handful of SMT titles but never quite fully grasped the whole depth of those battles, so this is a welcome addition.

Oh, and a restart/retry button would have been nice. Oh well.

It is but the original sounds nothing like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLk6WxXdgOQ

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Try to find, by recruiting or through demon fusion, a demon that has bufu (ice spells). That will help you immensely against him.

Yeah, I have one but need more. Maybe I'll wander around the dungeon a bit. I get him all the way to his last dialogue then die. Last time he wiped me in one turn because he kept getting more turns.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, I have one but need more. Maybe I'll wander around the dungeon a bit. I get him all the way to his last dialogue then die. Last time he wiped me in one turn because he kept getting more turns.

An enemy gets extra turn if it hits one of your or your demon's weakness. Make sure you see which one is the demon provoking the extra turn so you can switch it with another demon.

Alright, solved that issue.

Now another side quest question.

Where is the Yasakani Magatama?
For the Amaterasu sidequest?

There are two shrines in the poison zone just north of Shinjuku, and one past Ginza (I believe). If you go to Yoyogi just south of Shinjuku in the wooded area, you'll get all the shrine names and locations.

Yoyoenix91

Neo Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for what level my team should be the "Dance of the Dead" challenge quest?

Also, if I'm on my last target, and I decide to drop the quest (or just outright ignore it), and
go back to Tokyo
to continue the plot, can I come back and finish the quest where I left off?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Would anyone be able to give me an estimate on the HP of a certain boss?

(Optional?) Boss level ~75 inside a demon domain
Alciel. Looks like a head half buried in the ground with a large crown.

I've half his level but feel like I am getting pretty far. Was curious if I'm even getting close.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ok the negotiation system in this is way more unfair than the Soul Hackers one. I never had near this many 'lol take all the stuff and leave' in Soul Hackers.

Bogeypop

Late Game
Infernal
Tokyo spoilers:
Yo, that King Kenji-YHVH-wannabe though. Got the first question from him and boosted his attack on purpose so his reflected Maragidynes would do even more damage to him then before even knowing he was faking his death I chose not to take the remote.
Read him like a book.

Top Bottom