• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I don't get how this game expects me to ever choose the chaos path.

Asmodeus tells you to fuck off or fight. You can't even ask what their motive is. Why in the fuck should I ever trust one of the embodiments of the seven deadly sins? He didn't give me any reason to not rescue a human being. I hate when picking one of the choices is fucking moronic.

I don't get how this game expects me to ever choose the chaos path.

Asmodeus tells you to fuck off or fight. You can't even ask what their motive is. Why in the fuck should I ever trust one of the embodiments of the seven deadly sins? He didn't give me any reason to not rescue a human being. I hate when picking one of the choices is fucking moronic.

Ashura-Kai isn't chaos though, more like a dark-law.

Vamphuntr

I wish I knew there was a place in the game that you must pass stats check to access before I dumped most of my points in Magic and Agility. I was able to open 1 out of of those 3 doors and the other two require Str and Luck but I have no idea the amount required for each as it doesn't tell you. The item in the one I was able to open was pretty good and now I feel I'm missing out on the other two :S

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I wish I knew there was a place in the game that you must pass stats check to access before I dumped most of my points in Magic and Agility. I was able to open 1 out of of those 3 doors and the other two require Str and Luck but I have no idea the amount required for each as it doesn't tell you. The item in the one I was able to open was pretty good and now I feel I'm missing out on the other two :S

Eh, wasn't that surprising considering Nocturne did this as well.

It's a nice incentive for replays anyways.

Anyways, folks, recipe for Black Frost please :(

Ridley327

I just got done with the boss event at Shinjuku
Government Building
; I don't bother with looking ahead to see what will cause what alignment, since the fun is in finding out how that will come to pass, but I'm really intrigued by what's going to happen with
letting Kuebiko live and defying the Ashura-kai

Out of curiosity, I'm not locked of fusing that guy, am I?

I just got done with the event at
Shijuku Government Building
; I don't bother with looking ahead to see what will cause what alignment, since the fun is in finding out how that will come to pass, but I'm really intrigued by what's going to happen with

This is the worst spoiler bars ever.

Ashura-Kai isn't chaos though, more like a dark-law.

Uh I might have missed it, but I don't see what I was doing had to do with the
Ashura Kai.

I just got done with the event at
Shinjuku Government Building

You need to
srsly what kind of spoiler bars are these.
It is located right after
how would I even know to highlight them... you give no context bro.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Jack the Ripper + Jack Frost + Pyro Jack. I'd recommend doing it after Jack Frost and Pyro Jack learn all of their skills so you can transfer over Bufula and Agilao and their respective boosts.

Ahh... I lack only Jack the Ripper since I didn't have Demolingual back then.

They hang around near... Ueno? Not really sure... or maybe near Shinjuku? Gah, last night I met them aplenty but now I can't seem to recall where I met them, damn.

I'm not following.

Dude, you didn't even specify what location, not even your playtime so people can probably estimate where you are. How are people supposed to know where you are to feel safe about reading your post?

They hang around near... Ueno? Not really sure... or maybe near Shinjuku? Gah, last night I met them aplenty but now I can't seem to recall where I met them, damn.

I just did a Fusion search with Include Compendium checked and searched for Foul race demons and he popped up

Ridley327

Dude, you didn't even specify what location, not even your playtime so people can probably estimate where you are. How are people supposed to know where you are to feel safe about reading your post?

Oh, that. Yeah, I'll fix that.

EDIT: That should be more clear now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just did a Fusion search with Include Compendium checked and searched for Foul race demons and he popped up

He's a level 9 demon, IIRC, and right now my demons are in level 30-40 range, so I am positive I can't fuse him with what I have right now.

...Or is that Include Compendium thing includes all the necessary fusion ingredients too if I have them in my Compendium...?

Huhhhhhhh. I need to try ticking those boxes to experiment more.

Alucrid

Banned
Has this game locked up anyone else's 3DS XL? I bought mine back in May and over the 20 hrs of playtime it has happened twice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've just left Ginza, am I anywhere near the ending yet ? Half of the game ? Could someone please provide this info ? :p

On that note, PLEASE PROVIDE THIS INFO WITH A SPOILER TAG.

Because I DON'T want to know whether the end is coming or not when I reach a certain point of the game, please, thank you.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Has this game locked up anyone else's 3DS XL? I bought mine back in May and over the 20 hrs of playtime it has happened twice.

Should I be glad I have a regular 3DS? I've had no problems at all.

Man, I REALLY don't like chase demon quests. I just want to kill them and be done with!

Alucrid

Banned
Should I be glad I have a regular 3DS? I've had no problems at all.

Man, I REALLY don't like chase demon quests. I just want to kill them and be done with!
No idea.

No problems here after 15 hours of playtime. I imagine you are updated to the latest firmware, right?

I believe so. I think it updated last week and it's always connected to the internet.

It's not terrible depressing because I can save anywhere, but I didn't have this issue playing through Strange Journey, Soul Hackers or Fire Emblem.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Now even better, people will not even know what the question is about regarding that location in the game. :p

I am sure those who have reached the end/finished the game, the only folks I feel qualified enough to answer "how far is this point from the end game" questions, can understand fine.

But me personally I don't want to know whether the end game is closing or not when I reach a certain part; it's a part of the whole experience package :)

The area and tower belongs to them. Remember the guard and farmer NPCs?

Ah right. But still:

We're given no reasoning by the demon for the kidnapping. His dialogue "THIS ISN'T FOR HUMANS TO KNOW" implies that the demons are pulling the strings of the Ashura Kai, not the other way around.

Atlantis

He's a level 9 demon, IIRC, and right now my demons are in level 30-40 range, so I am positive I can't fuse him with what I have right now.

...Or is that Include Compendium thing includes all the necessary fusion ingredients too if I have them in my Compendium...?

Huhhhhhhh. I need to try ticking those boxes to experiment more.

He appears around Ueno.

Hama spells are much more useful in this game. There are noticeably more demons that are weak to hama in this game in comparison to demons that are weak to mudo. In fact, consider the levels you get Judgement Light & Die For me (61 vs 49)

If you have room use both, but Judgement Light is the better of the two.

Haven't gotten there yet, but what are Judgement Light and Die for Me? The third tier of Hama/Mudo?

Woah. I was pretty damn sure I was lawful, but the guy in the bar says I'm neutral.

You can find out what alignment you are? How?!

vall03

Man, whenever I see Cabracan, I keep on thinking its weak to Fire when it actually Nulls Fire. I blame Torterra for that. lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He appears around Ueno.

Thanks man.

Anyways, for some reason I really like the "I don't know" answers for various questions posed by the game to me. It feels like a *Shrug, don't really care* which I find funnily compelling.

But then the game always call me pathetic for choosing it :(

Watashiwa

It's 100, just so you know.

Oh, LaughingBanana, you asked about the Party MP Restoration App yesterday or the day before. I finally got it myself, and it's a total of 150 AP for three ranks. And it's totally worth it, the Restoration is SO FAST it's nuts. I was Megidola-ing every encounter, healing with Mediarahan and starting the next battle with max MP.

What did the software update do? I read somewhere that you get app points for street passing with Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey and SMT4, yet I got nothing earlier when such an event happened today.

Are you suppose to just download the update from the eshop, and that's it? I'd didn't see an option to apply it, nor does the game acknowledge having it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's 100, just so you know.

Oh, LaughingBanana, you asked about the Party MP Restoration App yesterday or the day before. I finally got it myself, and it's a total of 150 AP for three ranks. And it's totally worth it, the Restoration is SO FAST it's nuts. I was Megidola-ing every encounter, healing with Mediarahan and starting the next battle with max MP.

Yeah, I know now that the app only have upgrade to the 3rd tier. Actually, even the 2nd tier helps so much with grinding since I can practically launch Javelin Rain with my 90 or so DEX MC with impunity for every encounter with mooks, hahaha.

Btw, the FREE but 1 Dollar costume looks so... out of place. School uniform? Bahhh
if only I can put it for Isabeau :3

And the pants is immediately outclassed both performance AND looks by the one you get from the Okunikishi sidequest :eek:

Tirod

Man I am just loving this game. I want to talk about it more than I have, but the urge to play is just so much stronger. I just finished up some business in Shibuya.

nsBEanH.jpg

My team is some top tier stuff, I'm going to be sad when I have to fuse them.

THIS demon in particular has been super helpful. He had good resists/nulls to begin with, but I threw on Resist Elec, Null Mind, and I think Resist Dark (he may have had that to begin with). He's got a variety of magic spells, and both Tetrakarn and Makarakarn!

#Team Phys/Gun. I've got Bind status bullets as well. My current moveset is Tathlum Shot, Blast Arrow, Javelin Rain, Fatal Sword, War Cry, Dekunda, Dekaja, and Charge. I know some people like to just dump points into one stat, but this has been working out just fine for me.

I can't get enough of this game at the moment, it's got me obsessed.

dewdrop

Banned
Man keeping track of shit in this game is neigh impossible. On the one hand I want to like how it almost never tracks quests on the map but I don't usually have a map of Tokyo when I'm on the can demon-hunting. I think it'd bother me less to be totally lost all the time if I didn't have to accept missions just to activate them. :/

Sucks being in a mission zone but not spawning any of the red monsters because you didn't realize you we're in a boss zone and didn't have the mission active... Also why can't you track a side quest and a main quest at the same time! So silly!

Grips aside, shit if I'm not loving all this trainan' negotiatan' battlan' fusan' evolvan'.

You can find out what alignment you are? How?!

After you complete the main objective in Ikubekuro, you can return to the Shinjuku terminal and go to the bar area where you can heal up for 100. There will be a guy who will go "wanna hear what people are saying about you?"

Hot-blooded = chaos

Polite = law

Hard to read = neutral

Why is everyone super focused on getting neutral? Is there some benefit to it? Is it the "best" path?

I actually was aiming for Law.

I think most people want it their first go around because it is the harder one to get.

Also it typically is the "best" ending. Or at leas the one with the most hopeful of outcomes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Why is everyone super focused on getting neutral? Is there some benefit to it? Is it the "best" path?

For me, personally, it's because I tend to role-play the main character as myself. And I think the philosophies typically displayed by Chaos and Law are just outright dumb. So I prefer to go Neutral if possible.

Kind of irritated right now being on Chaos. :s I really don't feel I should have been shunted onto this path (as I whined about earlier in the thread).

Bogeypop

Whoa, my Ganesha wants to mutate his Cold World that's been passed down a long way from my King Frost for Repel Physical. A quick look at that Skill site says only two lvl 90+ demons learn it (one of them being our lovely, big, green phallic friend). Feel like it's worth changing.

Top Bottom