• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Watashiwa

Wonder what I should aim for with spells in general on my lead? I got single target ones of each element (Hama/mudo/almighty aside), but I can't help but wonder if that's really not so efficent? Diarama too and some buffs, maybe I should invest in tetrakarn or something.

I did single target elemental spells, Concentrate, a party heal, Debilitate and an Almighty spell. One demon with both Tetrakarn and Makarakarn has you covered there, so you just need a second demon with Luster Candy and your main character can do the killing himself. I was doing over two thousand damage with a buffed Concentrated Trisagion.

PK Gaming

Good god, the lategame storyline is awesome.

If you're not impressed by the story by now, give it some time. It gets much, much better.

Demon!Akira should become a regular in the SMT series...

Bogeypop

End-game side-quest spoilers: So I go in ready to reflect
Azazel's
skills back at him. Turns out he's one of those
Almighty
skill users. MC dies after turn 2 then next turn one of my demons die, but after after a few rounds of Luster Candy + Debilitate +
Mabufudyne
they come out the victors. Not satisfied having 2/4 of my party miss out on EXP I reload and proceed to just Luster Candy + Debilitate +
Mabufudyne
from the get-go and beat him in 3 turns. Not sure when I'll have to fight
Beelzebub
, but people have been telling horror stories about him, hopefully he'll go as easily as
Azazel
did, but I assume he has no
elemental
weaknesses

I was doing over two thousand damage with a buffed Concentrated Trisagion.

Speaking of Trisagion, anyone know which lowest-level demons have the other Severe spells? Want to get 'em all on my MC ASAP.
Demon!Akira should become a regular in the SMT series...

Sort of reminded me of
a hairier Demi-fiend.

I finally beat that fucking Dance of the Dead quest. Such a good feeling when a new fusion helps guide you to victory.

Really enjoying the atmosphere ever since I arrived in Ueno. It's probably time to continue the story...right after I sell these relics, see if an NPC dialogue has changed, and check for new quests one last time.

This game has got me in deep right now, and I love it.

BlackJace

Wow, this is a surprise. My Inferno transformed into Wilder Porewit. Awesome stats. So happy right I stuck with her (him?).

Sometimes I dislike how this game gives you only an extremely vague indication of where to go.

"Go to Roppongi"

-> Roppongi is an area with 3-4 huge ass sections and only one of them is the right one.

LProtag

Hm, can someone tell me where a safe place to save would be before I get locked into an alignment path? That way I could check where I stand and maybe do some challenge quests with alignment choices to get in the zone.

Watashiwa

Good god, the lategame storyline is awesome.

If you're not impressed by the story by now, give it some time. It gets much, much better

This drove me crazy. By the time I got to the
Ashura-kai brain farm
I was about ready to give up hope that the game would start feeling as eldritch as Nocturne or DDS. And then the revelations bombs started dropping, the alignments started manifesting and shit started getting REAL.

I have to wonder why they didn't start with the awesome stuff sooner. Introduce (MAJOR SPOILERS)
the alternate Tokyos and different versions of the cast, and the quantum nature of the game sooner,
and it would have sucked me in and never let go. Maybe use the Domains for that...

Canon

Banned
What should my stat points go to? I hear physical attack stat is bad? I've been randomly putting them in magic and luck.

... But I mostly just attack demons without magic

scy

What should my stat points go to? I hear physical attack stat is bad? I've been randomly putting them in magic and luck.

... But I mostly just attack demons without magic

Basically, choose DEX (Physical Skills) or MAG (Magic Skills). After that is LUC and AGI; if you went DEX, favor LUC a bit more than normal since it'll fuel your crits. You can pretty much disregard STR for the most part. It works for regular attacks and around half as effective as DEX for skills.

Ourobolus

Banned
omggg. I finally got to fight my most favoritest SMT boss. This game is complete.

(Late game minor boss spoiler) omggg
Goddamn that penis envy.

Anyway, I'm Lv35, just finished opening up the
library area
in Ikebukuro. Found out from the barman that I am apparently still neutral - what do I need to do to stay that way??

Dresden

You can just cap luck and agi at 100 and rely on incense for the rest. Then pump Dex to 300+.

Just about anything works, though. Endgame isn't punishing enough to worry about doing it wrong. People need to stop worrying!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Can't believe I went almost the whole game without realizing that you can change the camera angle on the world map.

I feel foolish!

Phionoxx

Was finally able to fuse my Avatar in game. Thoughts on his stats? I'm a bit happy at how his resistances turned out.

1002134_10201828878072197_1226229818_n.jpg

Wow. That's awesome. What skills does he have, how many of the slots ended up occupied with the null abilities?

Watashiwa

Please tell me your secret!!!!

Answer with the first option to every question.
Go left at every door in the ethics test.
Join Jonathan.
Tell the Whites that you're going to destroy and reform the world.
Lastly, don't do challenge quests; a bunch of them shift your alignment.

Not as experienced with SMT as others here, I have Strange Journey, still haven't played it, I got it after loving Devil Survivor Overclocked (got Nocturne as well), but as I was playing SMT IV (loving it as well so Strange Journey will likely be played soon after) but I noticed the Black Samurai

R6GSJ1q.png

And noticed it looked a lot like...

SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg

Is it connected? You can spoil this part for me cause I'm really curious, just make it a spoiler if it's something that others might not want to see.

Not as experienced with SMT as others here, I have Strange Journey, still haven't played it, I got it after loving Devil Survivor Overclocked (got Nocturne as well), but as I was playing SMT IV (loving it as well so Strange Journey will likely be played soon after) but I noticed the Black Samurai

R6GSJ1q.png

SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg

Is it connected? You can spoil this part for me cause I'm really curious, just make it a spoiler if it's something that others might not want to see.

Well, this is also in SJ. Spoilers, don't click if you aren't interested in being spoiled.

http://cdn.lordyuanshu.com/images/StrangeJ/nullvoid.jpg

Esura

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/R6GSJ1q.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg[IMG]

Is it connected? You can spoil this part for me cause I'm really curious, just make it a spoiler if it's something that others might not want to see.[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]There is Demonica armor in the game. However Black Samurai is a female with so far seemingly no connection to the events of SJ. [/spoiler]
[QUOTE]
[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/megamitensei/images/d/d2/Black_Samurai.png

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Man, I should've know (Big spoilers late game)
Gabby = Gabriel. Also, I named my character Michael and I hate that an angel has that name lol.

Aeana

Whew. Just beat (major late neutral game spoilers!!)
Jonathan/Merkabah
and it was the first boss fight in a very long time that I felt was actually challenging. But that's not a surprise at all. I think duckroll was talking about it earlier, how the difficulty in SMT games is kinda like a bell curve. Harder in the beginning and end than the middle. Definitely feeling that again, and I'm glad.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Alignment question (late? game)
I'm currently Law right now and was wondering if going with Walter gives you Chaos points. Would it be best to go with Jonathan if I try going for Neutral?

katkombat

Banned
Goddamn it I just accidentally highlighted a spoiler when my phone was lagging... :(

Where can I find the
Counter-Demon Force base
in Ueno?

Aeana

Alignment question (late? game)
I'm currently Law right now and was wondering if going with Walter gives you Chaos points. Would it be best to go with Jonathan if I try going for Neutral?
To a nswer your first question,
yes, going with Walter gives chaos points.

Something about alignment you might want to know:
If you want neutral, know that the final choice before you're locked gives either law or chaos points with no neutral option. That means if you want neutral, you need to sway a little toward one direction and then use the final choice to push you in the opposite direction so you can land in the center.

CSX

Coffee beans??? Where?????

I know your upcoming frustrations over this :p .I gain twenty levels as i tried to get the damn beans. Take the northeast exit from the shinjuku underground and keep on searching the relic in the east without exiting into an new area

Top Bottom