• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

NeonZ

I love Plasma's (DLC demon) profile. I thought it'd be something generic about plasma being a state of matter, but it goes all out crazy on conspiracy theories about secret government weapons and UFOs. I really wish they had made a new demon class just covering that kind of conspiracy stuff, maybe aliens too.

Aeana

Aeana: what was your level and how many app were you able to purchase by the time you finished the game?

My hero was level 81, my demons were a bit lower. I got lazy with fusion near the end for a couple of reasons, but just like in SMT3, as long as you've got the skillsets, the levels don't matter much. As for apps, uh... well I had all of the apps I wanted. Full demon stock, full skill slots, all of the MP recovery apps, several of the scouting apps and the skill/stat plugin apps. I had unspent app points at the end because I had everything I really wanted.

I love Plasma's (DLC demon from the app point DLC, IIRC) profile. I thought it'd be something generic about plasma being a state of matter, but it goes all out crazy on conspiracy theories about secret government weapons and UFOs. I really wish they had made a new demon class just covering that kind of stuff.

Interestingly, they opted not to use the UMA (unidentified mysterious animal) race in SMT4. In earlier games, it was used for things like the chupacabra and hare of Inaba.

Ourobolus

Banned
Interestingly, they opted not to use the UMA (unidentified mysterious animal) race in SMT4. In earlier games, it was used for things like the chupacabra and hare of Inaba.

Having only played most of the SMT (and spinoffs) from SMT3 onwards, have they used "Food" as a race before? I swear I can't remember seeing it.

Aeana

Having only played most of the SMT (and spinoffs) from SMT3 onwards, have they used "Food" as a race before? I swear I can't remember seeing it.

Nope, it's new.
But it's related to the story/world, since they talk about eating demon meat in the game.

NeonZ

Soul Hackers also had the "rumor" race, but it was only for Japanese urban legends about ghosts. Still, the UMA race was kind of odd. The only real UMA there was Chupacabra. The Hare of Inaba, Mamedanuki and others were just legendary creatures from Japanese folklore that might as well be moved to holy, beast or wilder. And then there was Oliver.

I don't know if this has been said yet:

The combination of having an attack-all gun with binding bullets and fundraiser(+) turns Flynn into a regular money monster.

Totakeke

Skill augment just randomizes a skill for the MC right? If that's the case, than the Scout Skill app that gives the scouted demon an extra skill whenever you scout a demon is far better isn't it?

Ourobolus

Banned
Skill augment just randomizes a skill for the MC right? If that's the case, than the Scout Skill app that gives the scouted demon an extra skill whenever you scout a demon is far better isn't it?

I think it makes the chance for demon skill mutation at level up increase.

Esura

Banned
As a magic-based character, I found little use for macca. I beat the game with the white samurai armor on, and bought a couple of leg pieces and accessories but not many. Some of the other stuff (particularly in the secret shop) would have helped a couple of times, but in the end I just didn't bother. I'd say that's one of the disappointments I had with the game, although it isn't that big of a deal to me. At any rate, my answer to your question is no, I didn't buy or use the DLC.

How did you go about fusing your demons without a lot of macca? Where I'm at right now
Roppongi
I don't seem to get enough Macca and Compendium prices are expensive even with the apps.

Have all the DLCs except the school armor one. Macca DLC is just the thing that I need since I fuse demons a lot, like one to three new demons per level. The App Point DLC on the other hand, only got around a 100+ points to get a few apps that I want and thats it. The Exp DLC however, while I know is very broken, I found a good use for it by using it only on demons when I need them to quickly learn all of their skills so I can fuse them right away. Barely used it with the MC too.

I never thought about using the Grimoires for the demons, I should probably do that. Would make skill learning easier.

Aeana

How did you go about fusing your demons without a lot of macca? Where I'm at right now
Roppongi
I don't seem to get enough Macca and Compendium prices are expensive even with the apps.

Well, I didn't pull from the compendium that often. I also kept the prices down by only registering demons at the point that they had the skills I wanted. But with all of the apps, you can get a 50% discount which is pretty hefty.

I feel like I'm accomplishing absolutely nothing, because every time I get to a new area I spend hours recruiting and fusing every demon possible. I can't help it though, shit's like freaking potato chips

Esura

Banned
Well, I didn't pull from the compendium that often. I also kept the prices down by only registering demons at the point that they had the skills I wanted. But with all of the apps, you can get a 50% discount which is pretty hefty.

I think that might've been my problem right now. I always register all my demons because I have a crap load of different skills spread across 20 demons and have no fusion plan to get all the relevant skills to one high level demon and I got a bit lazy on registering only specific demons I wanted to register.

That said the 50% discount is pretty good but without that DLC I'd burn through Macca faster than MC Hammer blew through his money.

Fucking Minotaur. I came wicked close to beating him before he killed my MC. Probably need to do some more fusions with buffs/debuffs.

Decreased aim my ass

Forkball

10 hours in and I feel this game has barely started.

Also I found the military base and got a huge EXP boost for my stock demons.

Also, for the + skills... how do you know when it's more powerful than another skill? For example, is Zan +3 more powerful than Zanma (or whatever the medium wind attack is called)?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just wondering. I wanted to get some input in because I'm hearing a variety of stories about the
Minotaur
boss. What level did yall encounter him and how did you go abotu doing so? I personally did it at lvl 11 and just roflpwnt him with the weakness and as a result it wasn't too challenging. I've heard tweets about how the boss was really hard even with weaknesses. Just wanted to get some insight as to how various other people approached him.

Just wondering. I wanted to get some input in because I'm hearing a variety of stories about the
Minotaur
boss. What level did yall encounter him and how did you go abotu doing so? I personally did it at lvl 11 and just roflpwnt him with the weakness and as a result it wasn't too challenging. I've heard tweets about how the boss was really hard even with weaknesses. Just wanted to get some insight as to how various other people approached him.

I can't remember what level I was when I beat him. Maybe around there or a bit higher. I do remember that the first time I fought him, he obliterated my party even with the MC and one other character hitting his weakness. I added a third party member that could target his weakness, and that did the trick.

Aeana

10 hours in and I feel this game has barely started.

Also I found the military base and got a huge EXP boost for my stock demons.

Also, for the + skills... how do you know when it's more powerful than another skill? For example, is Zan +3 more powerful than Zanma (or whatever the medium wind attack is called)?
Zan+anything will never be more powerful than zanma. At maximum level, a spell gains 24 damage so it isn't that big of a deal.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how allies work? I've had them not show up in sub-bosses, skip entire dungeons only to show up when I go back to the top and fight low level demons, and so on. Plus they have a bad habit of not using abilities the enemies are weak to even if they have that spell(I'll attack instead!) I'm level 17 and have 30 luck if that affects it, seems decent.

My other question is when you buy ammo and it gives the option to buy, is that only giving you one bullet? If so wow that's expensive.

Aeana

Is there any rhyme or reason to how allies work? I've had them not show up in sub-bosses, skip entire dungeons only to show up when I go back to the top and fight low level demons, and so on. Plus they have a bad habit of not using abilities the enemies are weak to even if they have that spell(I'll attack instead!) I'm level 17 and have 30 luck if that affects it, seems decent.

My other question is when you buy ammo and it gives the option to buy, is that only giving you one bullet? If so wow that's expensive.
You have infinite ammo. You're buying a type of bullets.

duckroll

Oh my God. I cleared Midtown. I'm in the next area now. This game keeps getting better and better. How? Every step I take, it's more and more of a Megaten which I thought we had lost forever and would never see again. It's really... an amazing experience. I remember having little fantasies when I played Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 1. Trying to imagine what it would be like if that sort of story telling, tone, and setting would be like in a full blown JRPG, with expanded scope and freedom, designed like an old SMT game. I accepted that it would never ever happen, because Persona sells much more and it didn't seem like Atlus was that interested in catering to that fanbase in a significant way again. I'm so glad I was totally wrong. If this is the last SMT game ever made, I think I would still be satisfied. But I sure as hell hope that's not the case!

Soulhouf

I wonder did anyone else use the DLC? Boosted my Macca considerably and I got a lot of apps now. I tried not to mess with the EXP one too much because I figure I could easily make the game too crazy with that. That school armor is pretty good for where I'm at too.

I did not touch any of the DLCs since all what I read about it felt rather garbage or game breaking. I don't appreciate that kind of stuff.

Oh my God. I cleared Midtown. I'm in the next area now. This game keeps getting better and better. How? Every step I take, it's more and more of a Megaten which I thought we had lost forever and would never see again. It's really... an amazing experience. I remember having little fantasies when I played Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 1. Trying to imagine what it would be like if that sort of story telling, tone, and setting would be like in a full blown JRPG, with expanded scope and freedom, designed like an old SMT game. I accepted that it would never ever happen, because Persona sells much more and it didn't seem like Atlus was that interested in catering to that fanbase in a significant way again. I'm so glad I was totally wrong. If this is the last SMT game ever made, I think I would still be satisfied. But I sure as hell hope that's not the case!

Do you confirm that there are deep dungeons later on? Because so far this is the big thing which is lacking.

NeonZ

Allies won't help you if you have a challenge quest activated. Otherwise, they should be with you all the time if they're following you in the story itself.

GeekyDad

To me, Midtown is that point in the game where, yeah, you kinda see what this game is all about, and also a bit telling in terms of what reviewers did or didn't perhaps play up to and past that point. It gets crazier, though.

Allies won't help you if you have a challenge quest activated. Otherwise, they should be with you all the time if they're with you in the story.

Ah ok, bit frustrating but what can you do. Explains why they would show up at the top of a dungeon. Do they sometimes show though during a challenge quest? I feel like rarely they'd still come and help.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is my first time playing any game in this series, including any side games, and even though I'm just a couple of hours in I am really loving it. I had no idea what it was going to be like before I started, so this whole demon recruiting system is really a nice surprise.

My question is this: I usually suffer from analysis paralysis when it comes to distributing stats in RPGs. Should I look up some basic leveling guides, or will I be able to get through the main game decently well the first time just going with what seems right? I am enjoying it enough so far that I will definitely go through it more than once, so I won't be trying to beat, like, Emerald Weapon or anything on my first play through. I just don't want to get 20 hours in and then realize that my character is a piece of shit because I was supposed to be putting points into X instead of Y the whole time (kind of like how you shouldn't put points in Resistance in the Souls games).

Jessicat

Welps, eff that Osiris mission. Stupid dragon spawns like right in front of you randomly.
And even if you kill him he comes back D: I lucked out, but would suggest either having null/repel/drain electric demons, or a demon that knows Trafui to escape with 100% success. I tried using Estoma Sword but it doesn't work on him : Good luck!

Soulhouf

This is my first time playing any game in this series, including any side games, and even though I'm just a couple of hours in I am really loving it. I had no idea what it was going to be like before I started, so this whole demon recruiting system is really a nice surprise.

My question is this: I usually suffer from analysis paralysis when it comes to distributing stats in RPGs. Should I look up some basic leveling guides, or will I be able to get through the main game decently well the first time just going with what seems right? I am enjoying it enough so far that I will definitely go through it more than once, so I won't be trying to beat, like, Emerald Weapon or anything on my first play through. I just don't want to get 20 hours in and then realize that my character is a piece of shit because I was supposed to be putting points into X instead of Y the whole time (kind of like how you shouldn't put points in Resistance in the Souls games).

I don't think you can screw your character by messing up stats distribution. The skills are more important than stats in this game and since there aren't skills that can be lost forever, you can try whatever you want and stick to what you feel comfortable with.

I don't think you can screw your character by messing up stats distribution. The skills are more important than stats in this game and since there aren't skills that can be lost forever, you can try whatever you want and stick to what you feel comfortable with.

Yeah. Pretty sure even if you messed up to the point of being useless yourself (and I'm not sure how that's possible apart from going pure Agility and that just makes you better at what I'm going to say next) you can always just making yourself into a Support character with Buffs/Debuffs/Reflects/Heal and let your demons do the fighting for you.

Ah ok, bit frustrating but what can you do. Explains why they would show up at the top of a dungeon. Do they sometimes show though during a challenge quest? I feel like rarely they'd still come and help.

They never participate while Challenge quests are active but Delivery quests don't need to be activated so they might have helped you on those as long as you had no other challenge quests available at the time.

PK Gaming

Allies (usually) won't appear in battle if you've taken a challenge quests. They will rejoin you the minute you beat them, hence why you notice their reappearance at the top of the tower.

I don't think your luck stat affects it, but i've noticed that once an ally discovers an enemy weakness on their own, they will abuse it. One last thing, once you reach a certain level, they're skillset improves. I think they get their 3rd tier spells at level

Calamari41

41 > 38

Yeah. Pretty sure even if you messed up to the point of being useless yourself (and I'm not sure how that's possible apart from going pure Agility and that just makes you better at what I'm going to say next) you can always just making yourself into a Support character with Buffs/Debuffs/Reflects/Heal and let your demons do the fighting for you.

Thanks guys, you have given me the confidence to sit back and get going.

daveo42

Banned
HEY A LEVEL 75 DEMON

GLAD I WALKED INTO THIS AREA

Is it
one of the domains in Tokyo?
He's not all that bad if you have
Agilao and either null or reflect gun/electric on your characters. Completely doable at around 20 even without null/reflect, but it becomes more based on what skills he decides to use.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
HEY A LEVEL 75 DEMON

GLAD I WALKED INTO THIS AREA

He's doable. His level is a bit of a trick. He's not THAT strong. One low-level demon in particular can basically solo him (
Raiju
.)

In any case, RPGamer's review was fairly interesting to me. It's bizarre reading someone thinking the complete opposite about a game, than me. Reviewer thinks the music is terrible, I think it's the best OST in the series. They thought the combat was imbalanced, I think the difficulty is perfect. They thought it's the worst game out of the franchise, spinoffs included, while I think it's pretty much the ultimate SMT. I think it's great how polarizing the game can be. Not a badly written review per se, but I do think the reviewer was a bit...assholish on the site's forum saying that other critics probably didn't get far enough into the game to see the flaws he did. But oh well.

duckroll

Just got wiped twice in regular battles because I was being careless and conservative on spells. Definitely deserve it. Still hurts because I lost about 10 minutes of progress. I think this is a hint to stop for the night. Lol.

Aeana summed my thoughts up well. I haven't felt the sense of wonder that I did playing this game in a long time. I had to stop myself from immediately starting my second playthrough this morning so I wouldn't burn myself out quick.

Forkball

Is it
one of the domains in Tokyo?
He's not all that bad if you have
Agilao and either null or reflect gun/electric on your characters. Completely doable at around 20 even without null/reflect, but it becomes more based on what skills he decides to use.

Well he attacked first and shot my team up. I do have those moves, so maybe I will try him again later.

Also if you keep pressing R on a demon in the stock menu, it will tell the lore about the demon. It's nice for the more obscure ones. I fused some weird spider baby named Ubu, and the story is that abandoned babies sometimes transform into this on a small island in Japan. If one attacks you, you have to take of your shoe, throw it, and say "that is your mother!" I will never go to this island.

Croc

Banned
Minotaur

I did pretty much the same thing as you. I was level 11 and 3 party members had Bufu. I also got lucky the time I beat him cause at one point my whole party smirked and it restored my HP/MP.

magnetic

I'm glad I'm so surprised how much I enjoy this game, the wait for its release would have been unbearable otherwise.

And enemy sprites instead of polygons still is such a complete non-issue to me. Those battle effects and quick zooms more than make up for it. (And judging by how weird the occasionaly polygon people look compared to the sprite humans, I'm glad they stuck with traditional art!)

I've had the lowly angel I recruited (or fused, can't remember) way back when evolve half a dozen times and now it's a Dominion. I wish there were more long evolution chains, it's nice to be able to keep one demon around.

george_us

Just got wiped twice in regular battles because I was being careless and conservative on spells. Definitely deserve it. Still hurts because I lost about 10 minutes of progress. I think this is a hint to stop for the night. Lol.
More like a hint to save every 30 seconds!

Top Bottom