• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

duckroll

I have been had. There is no demon's domain. All I found were broken promises and lies. :(

I've exhausted all the Shinjuku storefronts, so I guess it's time to move on and come back later to try another coffee raid. :(

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
To a nswer your first question,
yes, going with Walter gives chaos points.

Something about alignment you might want to know:
If you want neutral, know that the final choice before you're locked gives either law or chaos points with no neutral option. That means if you want neutral, you need to sway a little toward one direction and then use the final choice to push you in the opposite direction so you can land in the center.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I get to that part.
Guess I'll go with Walter then and hope for the best.

Esura

Banned
To a nswer your first question,
yes, going with Walter gives chaos points.

Something about alignment you might want to know:
If you want neutral, know that the final choice before you're locked gives either law or chaos points with no neutral option. That means if you want neutral, you need to sway a little toward one direction and then use the final choice to push you in the opposite direction so you can land in the center.

Neutral route question.
Did you select only the top choices for the non-major alignment shifting dialog?

CSX

I have been had. There is no demon's domain. All I found were broken promises and lies. :(

I've exhausted all the Shinjuku storefronts, so I guess it's time to move on and come back later to try another coffee raid. :(

its specifially dropped in that one area i mentioned earlier. Problem is that it seems to be a very rare drop. Like i said, i gained 20 levels by the time it dropped for me

Aeana

Neutral route question.
Did you select only the top choices for the non-major alignment shifting dialog?
I don't remember what I did. Definitely didn't do that though. There's guides around that suggest doing that for a foolproof way, but I just kinda felt my way through and lucked out, so I'm not going to be very helpful.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Talked to the cynical man again and I seem to be netural now. I hope I don't screw this up.

duckroll

I found them as a reward for a delivery quest. I think it was something I turned in at the Ginza bar.

its specifially dropped in that one area i mentioned earlier. Problem is that it seems to be a very rare drop. Like i said, i gained 20 levels by the time it dropped for me

Sounds like my cue to move on with the main quests and worry about beans later. Lol.

Dumb question, but I did the quest for the hunter that wanted me to take pictures of Ikebukuro. But now I can't remember where he was. Little help?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Sounds like my cue to move on with the main quests and worry about beans later. Lol.

Some things I haven't even found end game and having done a ton of quests. Those quests where you can only find the item randomly aren't really worth worrying about.

Don't mean to repost, but my question got buried in like 20 seconds.

Dumb question, but I did the quest for the hunter that wanted me to take pictures of Ikebukuro. But now I can't remember where he was. Little help?

EDIT: Found him. He's outside the underground area, course I couldnt find him.

duckroll

Don't mean to repost, but my question got buried in like 20 seconds.

Shinjuku Station West Entrance. When you come up from the Underground, there's a door pretty much right in front of you, between the underground exit and a storefront relic.

Esura

Banned
I don't remember what I did. Definitely didn't do that though. There's guides around that suggest doing that for a foolproof way, but I just kinda felt my way through and lucked out, so I'm not going to be very helpful.

Wow, I hope I end up lucking out like that. There doesn't seem to be much leeway with getting Neutral either.

Aeana

I finished the game, neutral path. Total playtime:
40:24

This game is, quite honestly, a dream come true. It's the kind of game I never expected to be made ever again, and one that makes me feel like I'm a teenager again. Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing through SMT1 and 2 when they came out, and those two games are so incredibly unique and unmatched in so many ways. I didn't think I'd ever play anything like them ever again. This game feels like those, but modernized in all of the ways that really matter to me. And all from a team that didn't even work on the originals. It's so great that Atlus has new people who really get what SMT is, and it makes me super excited for the future.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just fought Tenkai and
I'm assuming the conversation was to confirm my alignment? I picked the answer for the first question and he told me the answer aligns with my path which was *awesome*, but then asked the second question it was obviously either Law or Chaos. I picked Chaos and I hope that mere answer won't screw me up.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I just fought Tenkai and
I'm assuming the conversation was to confirm my alignment? I picked the answer for the first question and he told me the answer aligns with my path which was *awesome*, but then asked the second question it was obviously either Law or Chaos. I picked Chaos and I hope that mere answer won't screw me up.

Still plenty of chances to change what path you're on! You'll know when you get to the final choice.

coopolon

The overworld map is pretty frustrating. Other than the three terminals I've found, I know where nothing is. I think I'm supposed to go to ikebukuro, but the only directions I can find (this helpful gamefaqs link) only provide directions to it from a bunch of other places I haven't found.

I'm eagerly looking forward to someone making a clearly labeled map!

Aeana

The overworld map is pretty frustrating. Other than the three terminals I've found, I know where nothing is. I think I'm supposed to go to ikebukuro, but the only directions I can find (this helpful gamefaqs link) only provide directions to it from a bunch of other places I haven't found.

Here.

Not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Completed 3 of 4 endings.

Current Playtime: 65:22:38

I really, really, love this game. So much I've essentially beat it 3 times within 3 days.

Now to do the dreaded Law playthrough.

Then I wait for the good DLC.

-------------------

Also for those who need a really good tool for demons and knowing a bunch of Fusion recipes use this excellent application someone made: http://erikku.github.io/smt4tool/

duckroll

When in doubt, look at an actual map of Tokyo! I promise, it really helps! :)

fVPtIAc.png

vall03

My god, how are you guys finishing the game in such a short time. I just arrived in
The second Other Tokyo? not sure what to call this place, but its the Tokyo wherein Akira is a demonoid or something
and I'm already at 61hrs. I play soooo slow...

This game is, quite honestly, a dream come true. It's the kind of game I never expected to be made ever again, and one that makes me feel like I'm a teenager again. Some of my fondest gaming memories are playing through SMT1 and 2 when they came out, and those two games are so incredibly unique and unmatched in so many ways. I didn't think I'd ever play anything like them ever again. This game feels like those, but modernized in all of the ways that really matter to me. And all from a team that didn't even work on the originals. It's so great that Atlus has new people who really get what SMT is, and it makes me super excited for the future.

Makes me happy to see people happy with this one, it's been a long wait

Tirod

For anyone else pumping points into Dex, do you find getting all the various types of bullets and having them on hand is useful? So far, I just have 2 different status ailment bullets to play with.

I'm asking because I'm swimming in Macca and I don't ever buy armor because the equipment I get through side quests and the
Black Demonica chest
are much more suited for my Dexterity, Agility, and Luck build than the stuff I can buy in the Black Market.

I also never summon demons out from the compendium, and I have plenty of items from chest and monster encounters.

Is there some sort of gold sink or will I need all the Macca I can get come mid/late game?

[EDIT]Fixed the spoiler tags, sorry.

Soulhouf

I'm perhaps halfway in the game and I have almost the same impressions.
However, I'm starting to wonder: does this game have actual dungeons? I mean big tortuous mazes like in the previous games. I was very happy when I entered that tower in Shnjuku but
it ended up being so small.

I hope I'm wrong.

Does alignment work the same way as it does in Strange Journey where you able to choose what path you want to go down as long as you aren't focused heavily in either law or chaos?

I'm still undecided what path I want to go down and was wondering if I need to be cautious about my decisions lest I get locked into a path early on.

Haven't played in a day or two due to busyness. Where is the terminal in
Uno
? I remember when I arrived I searched around and came across something that said "I sense a terminal but dangerous" but for the life of me can't remember where that was.

Esura

Banned
I think I added like 5 or 6 hours to my playtime just for idling when I had some emergency stuff to attend to. But so far I've been going at a fast pace, especially thanks to some of the DLC that I got with free money I got for having SMTIV and FEA.

Esura

Banned
I wonder did anyone else use the DLC? Boosted my Macca considerably and I got a lot of apps now. I tried not to mess with the EXP one too much because I figure I could easily make the game too crazy with that. That school armor is pretty good for where I'm at too.

Aeana

I wonder did anyone else use the DLC? Boosted my Macca considerably and I got a lot of apps now. I tried not to mess with the EXP one too much because I figure I could easily make the game too crazy with that. That school armor is pretty good for where I'm at too.

As a magic-based character, I found little use for macca. I beat the game with the white samurai armor on, and bought a couple of leg pieces and accessories but not many. Some of the other stuff (particularly in the secret shop) would have helped a couple of times, but in the end I just didn't bother. I'd say that's one of the disappointments I had with the game, although it isn't that big of a deal to me. At any rate, my answer to your question is no, I didn't buy or use the DLC.

vall03

Have all the DLCs except the school armor one. Macca DLC is just the thing that I need since I fuse demons a lot, like one to three new demons per level. The App Point DLC on the other hand, only got around a 100+ points to get a few apps that I want and thats it. The Exp DLC however, while I know is very broken, I found a good use for it by using it only on demons when I need them to quickly learn all of their skills so I can fuse them right away. Barely used it with the MC too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Aeana: what was your level and how many app were you able to purchase by the time you finished the game?

Top Bottom