• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Reading this thread almost had me buying a new 3DS just to play this game. I left my system at home while I am spending the summer working in another city. Big mistake. Will snag next month when I return, but damn...game sounds incredible.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just read that RPGamer review. I didn't know that SPOILER
time moved faster in Mikado than in Tokyo
. I just beat XW in Ikebukuro and I still haven't come across that point, so it's a bit of a spoiler I guess.

Some of his gripes are understandable, but things like the music? I think it's great.

I'm in Tokyo, so not too far in, but I really love how narrative has been handled so far.

In fact I love just about everything. Truly a great RPG.

Hmm, so I may be wrong, but I get the feeling the incredibly vague location descriptions are intentional. I say this because NPCs in the terminal areas will often say "oh you're looking for X? Go west, then west, then north."

I think it is the game's way of forcing you to talk to NPCs and get some story details.

pahamrick

Is it possible to enter (late game spoilers)

Ikebukuro & Shibuya in the infernal version of toyko?

You can definitely enter
Infernal Shibuya
as I did that while looking for
Infernal Shinjuku
. Don't know how much you can actually explore in there though, but I'm about to go back there since I'm almost done in that area. Same as quoted post, late game spoilers.

NeonZ

Ah ok, bit frustrating but what can you do. Explains why they would show up at the top of a dungeon. Do they sometimes show though during a challenge quest? I feel like rarely they'd still come and help.

They only appear during a challenge quest for specific preset events - like the battle against
Dullahan.
. This is referencing challenge quests that need to be activated though. If you're going in a delivery quest, the challenge quest doesn't need to be activated and so they'll be helping during the battles.

Just got wiped twice in regular battles because I was being careless and conservative on spells. Definitely deserve it. Still hurts because I lost about 10 minutes of progress. I think this is a hint to stop for the night. Lol.

That's the thing I love about SMT. In pretty much every other RPG, I'm conservative with spells and MP and save them for the boss fights. In SMT, though, it's pretty much a necessity to use your full arsenal against every enemy unless you want to accidentally fuck yourself.

PK Gaming

You can definitely enter
Infernal Shibuya
as I did that while looking for
Infernal Shinjuku
. Don't know how much you can actually explore in there though, but I'm about to go back there since I'm almost done in that area. Same as quoted post, late game spoilers.

Yeah i've "entered" it, but
there's demonoid that's blocking my path into the district

In any case, RPGamer's review was fairly interesting to me. It's bizarre reading someone thinking the complete opposite about a game, than me. Reviewer thinks the music is terrible, I think it's the best OST in the series. They thought the combat was imbalanced, I think the difficulty is perfect. They thought it's the worst game out of the franchise, spinoffs included, while I think it's pretty much the ultimate SMT. I think it's great how polarizing the game can be. Not a badly written review per se, but I do think the reviewer was a bit...assholish on the site's forum saying that other critics probably didn't get far enough into the game to see the flaws he did. But oh well.

I just can't see how SMTIV's characters are any weaker than Nocturne's and Strange Journey's.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just can't see how SMTIV's characters are any weaker than Nocturne's and Strange Journey's.

I disagree with the reviewer on that too haha. The review itself is fine. It's when he said that people who gave high scores didn't play the game enough to dislike it, and the one dude who said that this is the Dragon Age II of SMT (not in the review itself, it's a discussion over there)...Then I got slightly embittered haha.

eliza0224

Guys, I need help deciding how to spend my app points.

I'm in lvl 17, and don't know if I should invest them in: adding more space for demons (currently I've got 10 slots), adding more skill slots for my MC or adding more skill slots for my demons.

pahamrick

I disagree with the reviewer on that too haha. The review itself is fine. It's when he said that people who gave high scores didn't play the game enough to dislike it, and the one dude who said that this is the Dragon Age II of SMT (not in the review itself, it's a discussion over there)...Then I got slightly embittered haha.

Someone actually said that? I mean, I'm no expert on SMT (I've only played the Persona series, and a bit of Soul Hackers on 3DS) but DAII was a horrible, rushed mess that I couldn't even bring myself to finish despite beating DA:O multiple times on two systems (360 + PC).

SMT IV by comparison feels huge. I'm nearly 40 hours in, and already looking forward to a second run through.

I'm in lvl 17, and don't know if I should invest them in: adding more space for demons (currently I've got 10 slots), adding more skill slots for my MC or adding more skill slots for my demons.

I'd definitely prioritize more skill slots for your MC, followed by your demons.

That's the thing I love about SMT. In pretty much every other RPG, I'm conservative with spells and MP and save them for the boss fights. In SMT, though, it's pretty much a necessity to use your full arsenal against every enemy unless you want to accidentally fuck yourself.

This is probably the only game where I would actually use those "heal everything" items regularly. Partially because the game demands it, and partially because those incenses are practically handed out like candy.

There's also the fact that powerful items have low item caps. I was hoarding items and frequently being informed that I couldn't carry any more chakra drops and pots.

scy

There's also the fact that powerful items have low item caps. I was hoarding items and frequently being informed that I couldn't carry any more chakra drops and pots.

I finally made the decision to just sell them down to about half their cap. Wasn't like I was ever going to use them anyway.Plus, I need the money for all my fusing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
People might believe I am crazy but I actually went out and bought an XL to finish the game. I actually got tired of mini-SMT IV and wanted to play big SMT IV.

Best upgrade I have ever made. Based Atlus sold me an XL.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just visited [mid-game location spoiler]
Shene Duque (hoy crap btw) and now I'm given a choice. I talked to the cynical man at Shibuya before coming here and he told me I'm "a hard man to get a read on." Which I'm assuming means that I'm (hopefully) neutral. Now I'm scared of screwing that with what I'm about to pick.

I hope it's easier to survive and correct this if necessary if before the lock. How far away is that? I feel like I'm a hair away from Chaos.

Clockwork5

IMO: Demon skill slots > MC skill slots > demon inventory

I do think that these are 3 really important apps to max out and I wouldnt let any of them get too far behind.

Roppongi Mr. Tayama Spoilers:

What's the point of giving me a Refuse option for his task? Is there another way to go about advancing the plot and saving the hostage?

Ties

Banned
Roppongi Mr. Tayama Spoilers:

What's the point of giving me a Refuse option for his task? Is there another way to go about advancing the plot and saving the hostage?
I'm pretty sure that concerns alignment.

Speaking about alignment, when does the point of no return for routes occur? And how do I check my alignment from where I am at this point in the game?

I'm currently in a Tokyo populated by demonoids and I'm assisting demonoid Akira
I just visited Shene Duque (hoy crap btw) and now I'm given a choice. I talked to the cynical man at Shibuya before coming here and he told me I'm "a hard man to get a read on." Which I'm assuming means that I'm (hopefully) neutral. Now I'm scared of screwing that with what I'm about to pick.

I hope it's easier to survive and correct this if necessary if before the lock. How far away is that? I feel like I'm a hair away from Chaos.
Choosing either
Jonathan's
or
Walter's
route nets 10 points or the corresponding route. To my knowledge, for the tasks you have to complete for each route,
Jonathan's route
has 11 points in total (including the decision to choose itself) whereas
Walter's
has potential for 5 Law points for a decision later on in the route and a 13 Chaos points in total. If you feel your Chaos is higher than your Law, try to balance it out by completing Walter's. If not, you have the potential to get Law points anyhow from Walter's route with the 5 extra points if they're close to one another.

Dresden

I'm pretty sure that concerns alignment.

Speaking about alignment, when does the point of no return for routes occur? And how do I check my alignment from where I am at this point in the game?

Once you finish the area you're in, the 'lock' happens. I don't think there's a way to check at the point you're in.

Ties

Banned
Which option is what? And in that case can I just keep selecting refuse to build up chaos/law points? Or does it only award points once?
If you accept the quest it's Law, if you don't, it's Chaos.

You get forced to do it anyway so it doesn't matter what you choose. And no, you can't just go talk to NPCs to farm route points by refusing them. Points are given only in certain sidequests and dialogue choices in cutscenes.

pahamrick

Did I just get locked into the Neutral Path? (Late Game Spoilers)

Okay, so I choose to not return the world to nothingness then picked the option to destroy the status quo. The white told me something like I was too late, because I wished to destroy yet preserve as well and that they no longer had any use for me. So now, I'm in this strange area talking to Stephen.

Ties

Banned
Did I just get locked into the Neutral Path? (Late Game Spoilers)

Okay, so I choose to not return the world to nothingness then picked the option to destroy the status quo. The white told me something like I was too late, because I wished to destroy yet preserve as well and that they no longer had any use for me. So now, I'm in this strange area talking to Stephen.
Yes.

Mononoke

Banned
Trying to get the Neutral path. I know it's complicated, so I'm not really asking if I'll get it (as I've made choices that would take too long to get into). But basically..

I sided with Walter during the split (because of some decisions I made). Trying to balance it back to Neutral. I'm at the part where I have to push the button to open the Demon rift. Is that the same thing as "Destroy the Status Quo" and "Preserve the Status Quo"? Or does that part come later in the game. Because of what I've done, I needed to side with Walter, then Preserve the Status Quo. So do I press the button here?

Trying to get the Neutral path. I know it's complicated, so I'm not really asking if I'll get it (as I've made choices that would take too long to get into). But basically..

I sided with Walter during the split (because of some decisions I made). Trying to balance it back to Neutral. I'm at the part where I have to push the button to open the Demon rift. Is that the same thing as "Destroy the Status Quo" and "Preserve the Status Quo"? Or does that part come later in the game. Because of what I've done, I needed to side with Walter, then Preserve the Status Quo. So do I press the button here?

You have no choice but to push the button. Status Quo stuff comes later.

Dresden

Yes.

Riposte

Had to blow macca because Gu Huo Niao didn't want to spawn. Only did once (and got away). Then over the next 20-30 minutes, nothing. Do certain demons go away after awhile?

EDIT: Btw, there is something remarkable about Gu Huo Niao's art.

Ties

Banned
Had to blow macca because Gu Huo Niao didn't want to spawn. Only did once (and got away). Then over the next 20-30 minutes, nothing. Do certain demons go away after awhile?
No, spawn rates are randomized with some demons appearing more often than others. I honestly only ran into her once or twice around the world map and never around any of the nearby dungeons.

GeekyDad

Question (late-game, post-bad-ending spoilers):
Is this the juncture where you lock into a specific alignment route? I just talked to Stephen, and he said I resisted all (God's law, the temptation of demons, and despair of the White). He feels I "may be the one" to revive the goddess of Tokyo.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I just visited Shene Duque (hoy crap btw) and now I'm given a choice. I talked to the cynical man at Shibuya before coming here and he told me I'm "a hard man to get a read on." Which I'm assuming means that I'm (hopefully) neutral. Now I'm scared of screwing that with what I'm about to pick.

It's still quite a few hours away and you'll have other choices to make. I went with Walter, but still ended up full neutral by the final choice. NOTE (spoilers for late game alignment stuff but IMPORTANT if you want the Neutral route)
You do NOT want to be Neutral when you make the final decision. If you are, you are completely locked out of the Neutral path. You want to be slightly Law or slightly Chaos. The final decision gives you quite a big bump towards Chaos or Law, so you want to be at a point where you can bump yourself into Neutral instead of too much one way or the other. Being Neutral already will make it so that you can choose either Law OR Chaos, but you cannot stay Neutral.

Top Bottom