• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Question (late-game, post-bad-ending spoilers):
Is this the juncture where you lock into a specific alignment route? I just talked to Stephen, and he said I resisted all (God's law, the temptation of demons, and despair of the White). He feels I "may be the one" to revive the goddess of Tokyo.

The White Men's final question was the alignment lock. You're now locked onto the neutral path.

Ties

Banned
Question (late-game, post-bad-ending spoilers):
Is this the juncture where you lock into a specific alignment route? I just talked to Stephen, and he said I resisted all (God's law, the temptation of demons, and despair of the White). He feels I "may be the one" to revive the goddess of Tokyo.
Yes, you're locked into Neutral, by the way.

Busaiku

So about the New Game+ exclusive demons.
If I do both Law and Chaos, and go for a Neutral path later on, will I have access to every demon possible then?
Roponji spoilers:

Where the fuck do I go to get to where the Ring of Gaea is?
Go North of Shibuya, there are like 2 places, go to the one higher up.

katkombat

Banned
Can I switch my battle formation? My Phoenix is first to strike and it makes me a bit angry. Is it based on something like stats (my MC is the highest level)?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You sure? It's the
military base that had the Demonicas.
Just teleport there and go to Tokyo Station.

Turn order is decided through the party member's Agility stat.

I'm way farther then the guy you are replying to...
THERE WAS A TERMINAL THERE?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's still quite a few hours away and you'll have other choices to make. I went with Walter, but still ended up full neutral by the final choice. NOTE (spoilers for late game alignment stuff but IMPORTANT if you want the Neutral route)
You do NOT want to be Neutral when you make the final decision. If you are, you are completely locked out of the Neutral path. You want to be slightly Law or slightly Chaos. The final decision gives you quite a big bump towards Chaos or Law, so you want to be at a point where you can bump yourself into Neutral instead of too much one way or the other. Being Neutral already will make it so that you can choose either Law OR Chaos, but you cannot stay Neutral.
Ah, thought so. I'm going with Walter at moment, but was thinking of making Law choices every chance I got. But now I'm reconsidering that since I'll get quite the bump later on.

Thanks!

Ties

Banned
I'm way farther then the guy you are replying to...
THERE WAS A TERMINAL THERE?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Yes, IIRC
you come across a key in the room with the Demonicas that you can use to unlock all the doors in the lobby of the military base. The terminal is, of course, guarded by the usual terminal guardian and a happy horde to greet you!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Yes, IIRC
you come across a key in the room with the Demonicas that you can use to unlock all the doors in the lobby of the military base. The terminal is, of course, guarded by the usual terminal guardian and a happy horde to greet you!

I had forgotten about that. Makes sense that someone wouldn't check it (though I check everything multiple times just in case).

Had to blow macca because Gu Huo Niao didn't want to spawn. Only did once (and got away). Then over the next 20-30 minutes, nothing. Do certain demons go away after awhile?

EDIT: Btw, there is something remarkable about Gu Huo Niao's art.

I fused her a couple times early on just to improve her in the compendium. I like having her on the team...cheeky as she is.

Anyway, just brought in the
Black Samurai
and have most sidequests to date completed. Good place to take a break for now.

Ties

Banned
I had forgotten about that. Makes sense that someone wouldn't check it (though I check everything multiple times just in case).
I honestly thought activating terminals were required in the game, but nope! It's only to your own personal benefit.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
How could you miss it!? It's not a complicated area! It's just to the right of the elevator.

Yes, IIRC

...Fear me! I am the God-King of dumbasses!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
*out gathering relics*

*gets ambushed by a Nekomata who immediately uses Wastrel Beam*

Well. This was a pointless exercise.

brinstar

Post-Roppongi Hills plus some Mikado stuff spoilers

Do I have to choose
to go with either Walter or Jonathan? I've found Isabeau at the statue, but she doesn't want to go with me. I don't feel like I agree with Gabriel OR Lilith.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Post-Roppongi Hills plus some Mikado stuff spoilers

Do I have to choose
to go with either Walter or Jonathan? I've found Isabeau at the statue, but she doesn't want to go with me. I don't feel like I agree with Gabriel OR Lilith.

Yes, you have to choose one of those two. It won't fix your alignment permanently though.

Oh... this sucks. My Frost Ace is actually pretty damn good.

But the King Frost he can fuse off into sucks ass. 88 MP, no MP recovery skills, and I don't even have a null or resist fire to put on him. Should I just not bother?

Ties

Banned
Oh... this sucks. My Frost Ace is actually pretty damn good.

But the King Frost he can fuse off into sucks ass. 88 MP, no MP recovery skills, and I don't even have a null or resist fire to put on him. Should I just not bother?
If your Frost Ace is acting as your magic nuke then there's really no point in upgrading to a Frost Ace despite the higher level.

PK Gaming

Looks like i'm locked into the law path

(Major law path spoilers)

Jonathan :(

You were willing to die for your dream, and for that I salute you. Seriously, accepting death like that must have been insanely difficult. Even though I have a kickass angel as a partner, I seriously miss Jonathan. The law path itself is ok so far... fuck demons, yada yada I get it, but the senseless killing of non believers pisses me off. "I had my son executed for being insubordinate" fuck that noise. If the game wants me to take the law path seriously it needs to knock it off with that crap. I hope the ending isn't a complete downer. I've still got a ton of challenge quests to complete, but I think i've reached the final stretch of the game.

I'm going for the neutral path next !_!

If your Frost Ace is acting as your magic nuke then there's really no point in upgrading to a Frost Ace despite the higher level.

Yes but I heard King Frost has a really worthwhile skill that can be unlocked. And I don't -need- Frost Ace on my team. He's good, but noting extremely special.

Ties

Banned
Yes but I heard King Frost has a really worthwhile skill that can be unlocked. And I don't -need- Frost Ace on my team. He's good, but noting extremely special.
It depends on the build you're going for right now. It learns Concentrate, which I'm assuming, is the skill everyone is talking about. If you have a physical build I'd skip out on that since some recruitable demons later on come with that ability for fusion purposes. If you're going for a magical build I'd definitely go for it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Late game challenge quest spoilers (Kousoushin)
I CAN FLYYYYYYYYYYY. If only it were as broken as it sounds. It's really hardly useful at all given its limitations.

Dresden

Just when I get rid of Bad Company due to never using it, I start encountering late-game challenge quest bosses that slam my party with 500+ damage almighty spells. Damn.

It depends on the build you're going for right now. It learns Concentrate, which I'm assuming, is the skill everyone is talking about. If you have a physical build I'd skip out on that since some recruitable demons later on come with that ability for fusion purposes. If you're going for a magical build I'd definitely go for it.

Hmm I do have a magic build. But I also play secondary/primary healer right now. and use both Dekunda and Dekaja. Still worth going for?

katkombat

Banned
You sure? It's the
military base that had the Demonicas.
Just teleport there and go to Tokyo Station.

Turn order is decided through the party member's Agility stat.

It's based on Agi. Pump them points in there.

Thanks a lot!

Okay so I'm stuck again. I'm in Ueno, just crossed the bridge. Where do I go? Quest says to still
find the Counter-Demon Force base
, so where is that?

Just finished the neutral path at around
40:25

There's so much to say about this game. I'd really like to echo a lot of Aeana's comments--this game feels like the perfect modern SMT. It manages to include elements that emphasize the best of traditional SMT gameplay while incorporating enough modern enhancements that really make the game more accessible without sacrificing any difficulty for players who have been with the series in the past. Including things like the optional DLC challenge quests are a great way to help out players who aren't used to the way that SMT handles things, because, although it does provide a super easy way for gaining levels, it still requires you to demonstrate a basic understanding of Press Turn.

I will admit that the last half of the game is a joke if you're using a magic build (Concentrate+Megidola takes out practically every mob in the game in one move while 2 full turns takes out most bosses), but the game was still super fun and, depending on your demon set-up, some bosses could still demolish you if they exploited a weakness.

I still don't know if I can pick between this and Nocturne, but I really, really enjoyed this game.

NeonZ

Why the heck is Thor stronger than Odin and Loki.

Thor was the most prominent god of norse mythology, even if not the leader of the pantheon. So, he often ends up as the highest level Norse god in many SMT games. There are exceptions though (like his ridiculously low levels in the Devil Survivor series)

Ties

Banned
Hmm I do have a magic build. But I also play secondary/primary healer right now. and use both Dekunda and Dekaja. Still worth going for?
Concentrate pretty much serves you the entire game.

I have a physical build right now and any of my skills and Charge and it obliterates every boss I've come across. I'd say definitely. The earlier you can get it the better if you want to max your potential early on. You're also very close to getting access to -dyne skills, yes!

Busaiku

Is Thunder Reign the only Severe Lightning move?
I've been trying to hold out for the single target one, but this one costs as much as Trisagion and Deadly Wind.

Bogeypop

End game Law path side-quest spoilers:
Mastema just wrecked my entire party with Megioloan and only my Garuda survived. Instead of restarting I said "Fuck it, I'll go down swinging!" After a few turns I notice he's just either using Attack, Deadly Wind, or a Sick or Panic ailment attack. My Garuda inherently nulls Wind and he inherited a mutated Null Phys. He also has Amrita, War Cry, and Energy Drain. After a few turns of Smirk attacking after some debuffs Garuda single-handedly defeats Mastema. Feels good.

PK Gaming

Why the heck is Thor stronger than Odin and Loki.

I don't think level and strength correlate in the SMTverse. There are tons of high level demons that don't seem / aren't that strong in reality, i'd say it's a gameplay thing. (Ogre is level 45 in this game, lmao).

And besides, Odin is always equipped with a signature Thunder spell and usually ends up being better than Thor, despite the lower level.

Ties

Banned
Thanks a lot!

Okay so I'm stuck again. I'm in Ueno, just crossed the bridge. Where do I go? Quest says to still
find the Counter-Demon Force base
, so where is that?
Go southwest after crossing the bridge and you should come across that location.

brinstar

Black Samurai spoilers, do not highlight if you have yet to know her identity:

I was just cruising through the megaten wiki, I had no idea that she was a reference to the first SMT1! I'm currently going to Camp Ichigaya to apparently open the gate to the "Expanse". Without spoiling anything past this point, is there other direct references to SMT1 like this?

Concentrate pretty much serves you the entire game.

I have a physical build right now and any of my skills and Charge and it obliterates every boss I've come across. I'd say definitely. The earlier you can get it the better if you want to max your potential early on. You're also very close to getting access to -dyne skills, yes!

But where would I have room for it? Or should I give up coverage of every element?

How many skill slots do you have? If you can't cover an element because of the lack of slots you can always use an elemental bullet to cover yourself up.

I have every slot unlocked.

My skills are:

Bufula, Zanma, Ziodyne, Agilao
Mediarama
Dekunda, Dekaja
Energy Drain

Top Bottom