• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I'd dump Dekunda and Dekaja. Your MC is the best damage dealer you'll ever have. Demons will cast dispels just as well.

I know demons will cast dispels, but my MC always moves first. I can see if I have demons with access to both. I think none of them have access to Dekunda right now.

You can ditch Dekunda. I hardly use it and many of the story demons later on don't even bother debuffing you.

Alright. Dekaja is better than Dekunda? In that case I will drop Dekunda.

Busaiku

I don't think level and strength correlate in the SMTverse. There are tons of high level demons that don't seem / aren't that strong in reality, i'd say it's a gameplay thing. (Ogre is level 45 in this game, lmao).

Yeah, well my Thor has Null Force, Drain Ice, and Null Gun.
Odin and Loki can't compete!

Actually how is Concentrate good at all exactly? It takes 1 turn to use, and then you cast a sell at doubleish power. Wouldn't you be better off casting two spells in a row (assuming you hit an enemy weakness) and getting bonus damage of a Smirk on the second hit?

Dresden

I know demons will cast dispels, but my MC always moves first. I can see if I have demons with access to both. I think none of them have access to Dekunda right now.
Won't matter since you'll be casting concentrate on that first move . . .

The thing is, you're going to need two free slots eventually, since you'll want to get an Almighty spell to clear out random mobs.

And it's 2.5 times the power. That plus mp conservation is what makes it so good.

I finally got the chance to play this game for extended period of time yesterday. I'm now about 15 hours in and am loving it so far. It really picks up, like everyone said, once you get to
Tokyo

Regarding the alignment paths, I thought I was going to go with Jonathan, but I find myself disagreeing with him a lot. I hope it's easy to go back and choose the other paths, but for now I'm not going to worry about it and just make whatever choices I feel like making.

Dresden

They do, it's called save often and use play coins.

The problem isn't the cost. It's the intro and the conversation (and the multiple prompts before you can even reload). Doesn't matter that you can skip the cutscene and fast-forward through the talk--it's still more useless input for something that should just have been a simple reload.

Hylian7

The problem isn't the cost. It's the intro and the conversation (and the multiple prompts before you can even reload). Doesn't matter that you can skip the cutscene and fast-forward through the talk--it's still more useless input for something that should just have been a simple reload.
Fair enough, I almost said "Hit X!"

Asking again because it was the last post on the last page: where the hell is Shibuya?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
First couple of hours I was saving after every battle. Everyone should check #times saved in the Borrough's play-log for lulz.

Post obnoxious candle stuff.

I am doing the Ethics test. How close am I to the endgame?

edit:

Ended up answering chaos (left) for all the questions. The first one was BS. I'd try to find a game where height wasn't as much a factor.

Dresden

These late-late game fiend battles are insane. Not sure what to do against double or triple megidolaons in a single turn. And I thought Blight was bad.

coopolon

Macca opens all doors

Ha, I know. I as looking at Aeana's playtime. I'm almost thirty hours in, have a LONG way to go I am pretty sure, and I think a significant portion of that time has spent lost in domains trying to find the entrance.

I am really bad at directions....I can get lost in a closet.

Bogeypop

Post obnoxious candle stuff.

I am doing the Ethics test. How close am I to the endgame?

Think it'll be a while since you still have a huge chunk to do before you're locked into your alignment path.

These late-late game fiend battles are insane. Not sure what to do against double or triple megidolaons in a single turn. And I thought Blight was bad.

I found that they just absolutely hate your party being at full health so as long as you hover around half health they tend to use their other skills.

Ties

Banned
Which demons learn Debilitate?

I'm using the fusion guide and according to it Debilitate doesn't exist in this game but I just fought a boss that had access to it.

Dresden

Think it'll be a while since you still have a huge chunk to do before you're locked into your alignment path.

I found that they just absolutely hate your party being at full health so as long as you hover around half health they tend to use their other skills.

I should try that.

I'm using the fusion guide and according to it Debilitate doesn't exist in this game but I just fought a boss that had access to it.

Alice is the earliest one, iirc.

Bogeypop

That site uses the Japanese names of the skills so it'll be hard to find unless you know the name. I got my Debilitate from
Alice
if that's any help.

EDIT: Checked out
Alice
in the demon list and the skill is called Randomize in Japan

Bogeypop

Awesome, thanks.

I now regret not fusing an Alice when I had the chance. I'm level 67 right now and I'm going to need fuse Debilitate onto a demon that I can use. ;_;

You could try making a lvl 68 Rangda, according to the site it can learn Debilitate/Randomize.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty sure the money DLC was created with the secret shop in mind. Seriously, there's a ton of awesome armor sets that can't be bought even if you grind. Over one million for a complete set
demonica armor?
Why do you torment me so :(

Bogeypop

(Late game spoilers)
Are there any good places to grind post-Monochrome Forest or should I just focus on challenge quest EXP?

It might depend on your alignment (I'm Law), but
when you get back to your "world" Naraku is now filled with lvl 75+ demons. Haven't checked other areas (the ones that I have just have the same enemy demons) or new areas too much since I've been catching up with Challenge Quests.

Nexas

I'm pretty sure the money DLC was created with the secret shop in mind. Seriously, there's a ton of awesome armor sets, that can't be bought even if you grind. Over one million for a complete set
demonica armor?
Why do you torment me so :(

It's totally doable. I got the full set after I ended up on the neutral path. Sell your expensive healing items as there are always plenty and wait for a sale.

LProtag

Story is really picking up for me right now after finishing the first split.

Flynn was on both sides due to weird quantum mechanics or something along those lines? The Eastern Kingdom of Mikado was Tokyo all along? Is there some recursive time loop shit going on? This is awesome.

Swung right into Chaos. Any help on locating a guy named Fujiwara?

Northeast corner of Shinjuku-Golden Gai

It might depend on your alignment (I'm Law), but
when you get back to your "world" Naraku is now filled with lvl 75+ demons. Haven't checked other areas (the ones that I have just have the same enemy demons) or new areas too much since I've been catching up with Challenge Quests.

I'll check Naraku out but I'm not sure if I can return to it on Neutral

I'll check Naraku out but I'm not sure if I can return to it on Neutral

You can. Sky Terminal is still available and the area directly surrounding it (the excavation part) has high level demons.

I'd also recommend going to the two new areas,
Tennozu
and
Toyosu

Insaniac

Hey guys, I've been on the fence about SMTIV, but I've been considering it for the 30$ e-shop promo. I have never played SMT before, the only game I've played that I think is similar to it is EO4 (Demo) and I really enjoyed that. Can I get some opinions on the game and if you think its worth getting for a first timer?

Ties

Banned
Good lord I don't know how long I can wait until I get my Titania, my fave demon.

They really fucked up on
Lilith's
design. Sorry, but that haggard thing doesn't compare to your Nocturne design. I really like how the artists redesigned the
four angels
though, they really fit into the plot and atmosphere of the game.

Vamphuntr

Finally beat the late game challenge quest boss
beelzebub
. All of my demons had Antichton, Phys Repel, Nul Elec/Drain Elec and Nul Gun. Used doping so everyone had over 1000 hp so when he used Megidolaon x 3 we all survived.

Now to finish the game :p

Good lord I don't know how long I can wait until I get my Titania, my fave demon.

They really fucked up on
Lilith's
design. Sorry, but that haggard thing doesn't compare to your Nocturne design. I really like how the artists redesigned the
four angels
though, they really fit into the plot and atmosphere of the game.

I quite liked that demon's SMT1 design. Spoiler warning, clicking my link will reveal who got the redesign Ties is spoil tagging.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnay9uh8vc1qlhbe8o1_500.jpg

Top Bottom