• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Himself

Just to be able to finish the main quest, can this game be considered grindy?

I love the design of the female (?) character with the ears popping out. I feel like I haven't really seen that in other anime style games.

Just to be able to finish the main quest, can this game be considered grindy?

If the game is anything like Strange Journey, yes.

Well sort of. I think in a lot of these games you can build an all-star demon team and get through a ton of the game. Then a boss comes up that ruins you and you have to change tactics entirely. And if you fuck up fusioning at that point, it could mean a loooooooooooong grind.

NeonZ

Sorry I should have elaborated more, does anything carryover from play through to play through?

Yes, and there are two options, one where you carry over everything, and another where you just get to keep your monster compendium and the basic new game + features.

And if you fuck up fusioning at that point, it could mean a loooooooooooong grind.

SMT 4 really simplified the fusion process though. It works now like in Devil Survivor, where you can choose the abilities that will be inherited. So, it should be much easier to "fix" your team now.

SMT 4 really simplified the fusion process though. It works now like in Devil Survivor, where you can choose the abilities that will be inherited. So, it should be much easier to "fix" your team now.

Yes. Yes. Yes yesyes yesyesyesyes!!!!

Fucking finally!

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
So, to anyone who has played this already, will I screw myself over if I luck stack? Luck stacking has worked fine in previous games, and it was great in Soul Hackers. Does it apply here too?

Soriku

So, to anyone who has played this already, will I screw myself over if I luck stack? Luck stacking has worked fine in previous games, and it was great in Soul Hackers. Does it apply here too?

Luck is usually like a dump stat in SMT. What benefits did you get (or think you got, lol) in SH?

There are critical hits and they give press turns. If -you- get critted by a boss it might often kill you and the boss gets to go again. Luck also affects how often you get conditions and those don't go away at the end is battle like most modern rpgs. From what I understood from in game explanations nothing increases defense and hp /mp growth. There are skills for hp and mp growth but the MC can't get them. This is based on how far I've been in the how version.

BlackJace

Awwww snap we're SMT'in avatars?
Can anyone be able to do mine's?

I can try. Stand by.

EDIT: It's done. I sent it to your PM too.

1c0qc.png

This is going to be my gate to SMT world. Even though I didnt like the battle system

Atleast show the characters not only the enemies! Anyways I am still excited to play it

GREAT OT! Thanks OP

ZenComp

Neo Member
A Luck build is very viable, though maybe not the best. Just get skills with good crit chances, skills that inflict ailments, and insta-death skills.

I called their excellent customer support, and got my digital copy registered.

Was your game DL'd from a code given by Nintendo? My concern is that I'd call them, someone might ask where the DL code I used came from, then I get a friend in trouble (who probably shouldn't have given me said code). I would imagine Nintendo wouldn't be thrilled about press folks giving out early codes to their friends.

Edit: But if its just that digital copies of FE games weren't syncing with the Club Nintendo system for some reason, maybe I could give it a shot. I was just assuming the reason it didn't didn't register is because it was a free code. Every other game I've purchased digitally - both before and after FE - has registered automatically.

subtles

Just got my copy. The strategy guide is actually quite decent compared to the artbook that came with Persona 3. I wish we got the 3DS sticker since I am very happy with the P4G one.

Drago

Just put my preorder in at Amazon. Can't say no for what is essentially $20. I hope I end up enjoying it, never played anything SMT before.

Amazon will email me the Cardboard suit DLC when it ships right?

BlackJace

Was your game DL'd from a code given by Nintendo? My concern is that I'd call them, someone might ask where the DL code I used came from, then I get a friend in trouble (who probably shouldn't have given me said code). I would imagine Nintendo wouldn't be thrilled about press folks giving out early codes to their friends.

Edit: But if its just that digital copies of FE games weren't syncing with the Club Nintendo system for some reason, maybe I could give it a shot. I was just assuming the reason it didn't didn't register is because it was a free code. Every other game I've purchased digitally - both before and after FE - has registered automatically.

Oh yeah, my digital copy was just one from the eShop. It sounds like yours is a special case then. Not sure :/

Celegus

You can have multiple save slots in this, right? The wife and I are both dying to play it, but buying two is a little crazy.

Takuan

See last page. ;)

Yeah, I love the book. It's so nice, and well worth the $10 premium.

I had no idea they were giving these away "free". I was balking at the $49.99 price until then, but I'll gladly pay $10 for a decent art book/guide. This post sold the game for me. I have no idea what I'm getting into - I've only ever played some of Persona 4 - but I think I'll enjoy it.

Saibastian

Neo Member
Seems like for a lot of people getting this P4 was their first megaten, I wonder how drastic the transition will be, I hear conflicting opinions on difficulty. I know for a fact that Nocturne kept me on my feet once I got into it right after P4.

cjkeats

Aw man, I just realized we didn't get the slick back case like it was in JP. Guess Bravely Default won't have it either.

Third person, RE4 (over the shoulder/top half) and a third person camera that's slightly elevated.

Interesting. Wonder if you unlock a first person perspective like Nocturne. Doubt it though.

subtles

Aw man, I just realized we didn't get the slick back case like it was in JP. Guess Bravely Default won't have it either.

Interesting. Wonder if you unlock a first person perspective like Nocturne. Doubt it though.

I forgot to mention that the elevated camera is also closer to the character than the standard third person camera.

Thanks to Nintendo's wily marketing, I now have a copy of Fire Emblem to tide me over until Tuesday. It's still going to be a hell of a wait, though.

(also this "change your avatar to get hype" thing is kind of addictive)

Top Bottom