• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

I was totally expecting her to look like that when she was
demasked during the public execution.
When I actually saw what they looked like at
The Ring of Gaea's temple
I was taken aback a bit lol

You want to know why I expected that too? That character's alias in SMT1?
Yuriko.

Despera

Banned
iYA2UoiqVe1tS.JPG

My body is ready >:D

Vamphuntr

Just died in one turn against
Beezelbub

Happened to me too the first time but then I had massive grind session and fused some game breaking demons all with high hp, antichton, enduring soul, phys repel and various drain/null/repel elements he used. I used doping to have everyone over 1000 hp so when he medgidolaon x 3 we survivded.

The treasure you get for beating him is pretty good.

The atmosphere in this game is awesome.

Gonna be able to make a crazy demon if I have this all planned out right. I love the new fusion system.

Was hoping someone could answer a spoilery question for me? I just
pressed the button
and it now says all my challenge quests are closed. Did I miss out on them, or is that only temporary. Thanks'

Amneisac

Man, I'm having a seriously hard time getting the first hit on enemies. Something about the camera angle is giving me fits trying to judge the depth perception. I didn't have this problem with either of the Persona games.

Beats

I just finished
Reverse Hills
and I'm neutral according to the cynical man. I haven't really looked at any guides since I started, so I've been picking choices that sort of aligned with how I felt. Is there a spoiler free guide that will help me stay locked into this path?

cupajoe

Neo Member
I'm in the ikebukuro region and I just defeated
xi wangmu
, tryin to figure out where
the juraku bookstore
is, can anybody help me out real quick? I just don't get where to go..

womp

I have had this since last Tuesday, however, had started playing Project X Zone since before I picked it up. I am at Chapter 15 or so and about 13 hours into PXZ and am really hyped and looking forward towards my first SMT game (Persona or otherwise) but at the same time don't want to distract myself from yet another game in my collection.

What should I do? Finish off X Zone first or what?

On the other hand, PXZ is easy to pick up, play a bit and quicksave to come back to anytime, which overcomes my issue with leaving a game and then coming back to it later to realize I forget WTF I am doing in it...so I guess I could also play it side by side.

But....Animal Crossing....OMG...2013DS.

Ties

Banned
I'm in the ikebukuro region and I just defeated
xi wangmu
, tryin to figure out where
the juraku bookstore
is, can anybody help me out real quick? I just don't get where to go..
Go down to the
Ikebukuro underground
and a previously blocked path will open. Go through that path and find the
Juraku bookstore

cupajoe

Neo Member
Go down to the
Ikebukuro underground
and a previously blocked path will open. Go through that path and find the
Juraku bookstore
Thanks so much, I ran around the perimeter a few times and somehow missed the path :eek:

Ok guys I just got to the part where we brought back the three men with
masks on.
I talked to the Cynical man and my status is now hard to read. How do I keep this going until the split?

LProtag

Okay where the hell is Shinjuku located in (somewhat after the first split spoilers)
chaos Tokyo?

Nevermind, just found it.

NeonZ

Man, I'm having a seriously hard time getting the first hit on enemies. Something about the camera angle is giving me fits trying to judge the depth perception. I didn't have this problem with either of the Persona games.

You can change the camera. Have you already tried that?

I've got a route-lock question, and I'm having a hard time describing my exact location in the game without potential spoilers, so this is probably safest for people who have finished:
I just met the four angels. Walter, Jonathan, and Isabeau have all split up. Walter and Jonathan give me an option to accompany them, but Isabeau doesn't. Am I locked out of neutral? That would be kind of a surprise, seeing as the cynical man read me as neutral just before I did Reverse Roppongi.

I have had this since last Tuesday, however, had started playing Project X Zone since before I picked it up. I am at Chapter 15 or so and about 13 hours into PXZ and am really hyped and looking forward towards my first SMT game (Persona or otherwise) but at the same time don't want to distract myself from yet another game in my collection.

What should I do? Finish off X Zone first or what?

On the other hand, PXZ is easy to pick up, play a bit and quicksave to come back to anytime, which overcomes my issue with leaving a game and then coming back to it later to realize I forget WTF I am doing in it...so I guess I could also play it side by side.

But....Animal Crossing....OMG...2013DS.

I'd ay put PxZ on hold and enjoy SMT4 since there isn't (nor does there need to be) a coherent story. As a result you can pretty much just pick it up and play whenever after you have had your fix of demon slaying

PK Gaming

I really wish the law path wasn't so fucking laughable at times

I just can't get over
how obnoxious those asshole mikado citizens are. "Oh yeah i slew a dude last week because he shittalked God." "Dude that's nothing, I got my son executed for being a prick!"

And no I am not exaggerating. Kinda wish there was more finesse to it, but what can you do :/

you can not do the law path, for starters lol

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've got a route-lock question, and I'm having a hard time describing my exact location in the game without potential spoilers, so this is probably safest for people who have finished:
I just met the four angels. Walter, Jonathan, and Isabeau have all split up. Walter and Jonathan give me an option to accompany them, but Isabeau doesn't. Am I locked out of neutral? That would be kind of a surprise, seeing as the cynical man read me as neutral just before I did Reverse Roppongi.

You still have quite a ways to go before you get your route locked in. Don't worry too much about who you go with just yet. There will be more chances to change your alignment.

Sleepy

Hey guys, I've been on the fence about SMTIV, but I've been considering it for the 30$ e-shop promo. I have never played SMT before, the only game I've played that I think is similar to it is EO4 (Demo) and I really enjoyed that. Can I get some opinions on the game and if you think its worth getting for a first timer?

This is my first game in the series and I really like it. It's tough, and the demon negotiation is a bit broken, but it is really fun. The 30 credit is awesome, as well. If you hate the game you could trade it in and break even, make money.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Post alignment lock:
Going back to Infernal Tokyo and going to Shibuya. Wow, that clown mask you can buy. WHAT EVEN IS THAT.

Ties

Banned
Does it matter if you go with either Jonathan or Walter? I've spoken to Isabeau, and am hoping for a Neutral route.
Check your current alignment at the Hunter's Association in Shinjuku by talking to the Cynical Man. If you're going either Law or Chaos at this point then choose the opposing path. On Walter's route, you have the opportunity to amass +5 Law Points, with a total of 13 Chaos points in total if you did not choose the Law option during Walter's route. For Jonathan's route, you obtain +11 Law points. Try not to be COMPLETELY neutral when the time comes because there will be an option later on that will lock you to the neutral path depending on the route you chose. And you aren't locked to a route just yet, there are more dialogue opportunities to build points on either route.

Busaiku

Would you mind spoiler tagging all the available terminals? I have yet to unlock some of them and I already secured my path...

You can't get the last 3 until the endgame.
Toyosu, Tennozu, and Purgatorium (I think this might be Chaos only though).

Aeana

Happened to me too the first time but then I had massive grind session and fused some game breaking demons all with high hp, antichton, enduring soul, phys repel and various drain/null/repel elements he used. I used doping to have everyone over 1000 hp so when he medgidolaon x 3 we survivded.

The treasure you get for beating him is pretty good.
Such overkill! Honestly, all I had to do to beat him was to debuff him fully and buff up fully in the first turn. Then his attacks couldn't kill me and I managed fine.

BlackJace

Check your current alignment at the Hunter's Association in Shinjuku by talking to the Cynical Man. If you're going either Law or Chaos at this point then choose the opposing path. On Walter's route, you have the opportunity to amass +5 Law Points, with a total of 13 Chaos points in total if you did not choose the Law option during Walter's route. For Jonathan's route, you obtain +11 Law points. Try not to be COMPLETELY neutral when the time comes because there will be an option later on that will lock you to the neutral path depending on the route you chose. And you aren't locked to a route just yet, there are more dialogue opportunities to build points on either route.

Thank you so much, that was extremely helpful.

Top Bottom