• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Gamerloid

Well I finally beat the game. This was my MC.

Lvl 90.
St 42
Dx 39
Ma 355
Ag 150
Lu 50

Power 424 Gun 435

All that magic! Magic is my favorite stat to increase after my adventure with Devil Survivor. So I plan to focus on that stat, but I heard something about it making you OP. Not sure how I feel about that.

still eyeballing this. is this your usual grindfest SMT?

As in other SMT games, skills and resistances are far more important than levels (though they are indirectly related). Moreover, SMT4 tends to calibrate the amount of experience you're receiving in order to ensure you are the appropriate level for each location. There is no reason to grind. If you're really struggling and think a few more levels would make the difficulty more manageable for you (they won't -- for the reasons stated above), there are also plenty of sidequests that will allow you to gain levels, money, and equipment without "grinding."

Bogeypop

Is there somewhere you can still recruit the low level trash mobs for fusion fodder? I really need to go back and at least compendium a few otherwise.

Possible End Game Spoiler: Still catching up on Challenge Quests but
other than Naraku every place that isn't a new area has had the same demons as always, so I think you'll be alright Compendium-wise.

jdl

Banned
What is your definition of grinding? Gaining levels does little to help you in SMT, which was my point.

Deviating from the story progression to acquire levels, abilities, whatever would be to your advantage, in order to proceed, outside of simply progressing forward; I would consider grinding.

cj_iwakura

Deviating from the story progression to acquire levels, abilities, whatever would be to your advantage, in order to proceed, outside of simply progressing forward; I would consider grinding.

Then this is just like any other RPG. Except make that acquiring demons.

Alright, Bad and Chaos endings achieved.
Now I just gotta rush through Law and do a proper Neutral play.

Are quest statuses carried into New Game+?

Wait, there's a bad end? Like, a proper 4th, straight up bad end?

Will it be obvious and does it kick you into NG+ or what?

Aeana

If you're smart about building your team the first time, you won't have to do that. If you try to tailor your party to each individual boss fight, you'll be doing more of that.

Just started it and the 3D effect in this game is fantastic. It's actually throwing me off a bit with how intense it is. Little bit of ghosting, but eh, not too bad.

Soriku

Then this is just like any other RPG. Except make that acquiring demons.

You don't have to grind to progress in most RPGs. Sometimes it might be beneficial but if it's a regular thing and you're doing it for say, 30+ mins at a time, then you're doing it wrong.

With SMT it's all about getting good skills, and demons with good resistances help as well. In which case the only thing you have to do is spend time fusing rather than grinding (unless there's a really good demon you can get in a few levels, but again this shouldn't be a regular thing, and you might not even need that demon at that point anyway). Now that you can just pick any skill you want instead of shuffling them, this should be easier than ever...

Varna

Is there a hard mode after finishing the game?

No idea why they decided to have you "accept" quest for the necessary item/person/demon to spawn. It makes zero sense.

vall03

Can someone tell me what ending I got?
After beating King Kenji, I talked to these White people again, and then my choice ended up in me destroying the Yamato Perpetual Reactor. So it ended up with everything into nothingness, or so the game says... This is the bad ending right? Can I still go Neutral from here?

Busaiku

Wait, there's a bad end? Like, a proper 4th, straight up bad end?

Will it be obvious and does it kick you into NG+ or what?

Yes to both.
After beating King Kenji, I talked to these White people again, and then my choice ended up in me destroying the Yamato Perpetual Reactor. So it ended up with everything into nothingness, or so the game says... This is the bad ending right? Can I still go Neutral from here?
If you already saved, you've gotta start from the beginning.

There's literally no reason not to use all the incenses on myself right? I've been hoarding them.

edit: Oh and I suppose late gameish spoilers?

If I answered Chaos on all the ethics questions, do I have any hope of swinging back to neutral or lawful?

Aeana

Bad ending.
If you reload and make a different decision you'll go on to the actual final choice which will determine your alignment.

vall03

Bad ending.
If you reload and make a different decision you'll go on to the actual final choice which will determine your alignment.

I see, thanks! Now to redo the boss fight again and make a different choice, I wonder what I will end up with. I want to play New Game+ right away but I want one of the endings first. I don't know what to think that I ended up with the Bad End right away lol

Busaiku

I see, thanks! Now to redo the boss fight again and make a different choice, I wonder what I will end up with. I want to play New Game+ right away but I want one of the endings first. I don't know what to think that I ended up with the Bad End right away lol

If you choose the non-Bad End option, you shouldn't be fighting a boss right there.

Cheska

Damn, totally getting my butt beaten by this tutorial level :(

Are there any healing stations or anything? I've pretty much depleted all of my healing items.

Delio

So I'm at a certain point in the game and wonder if this is when I'm locked into my alignment
Walter is asking me to come with him to Lilith. Right after the angels appeared.
is this the point of no return?

Aeana

So I'm at a certain point in the game and wonder if this is when I'm locked into my alignment
Walter is asking me to come with him to Lilith. Right after the angels appeared.

Nope, not yet. Still a bit to go.

Vamphuntr

No, it's not. It's pretty obvious when you reach the point of no return,

Damn I am gaining like 11k exp per fight...

Thank god for it though, because I hate all the options I have for fusion at these levels. (38-40)

Varna

You bet. Unlocked after the main game.

Thanks!

Man, the randomized demon conversations just suck so bad. Not only is it inconsistent but it straight up goes against some of the mythology behind demons. Incubus should totally be into meeting females but he just ran away. :(

Now in (late gameish? spoilers)
Reverse
Hills.

Strange Journey + SMT IV spoilers:
They reused the same shit from SJ it seems.

vall03

Ohohoho I just redid my choices and I'm now in the Chaos Route. Doesn't seem bad, also
My prediction was right that Hikaru was Lucifer. The way she appeared throughout the game was too convenient for the party. Add also that I did a few research, and her name in Kanji can be read as light. Guess I was expecting another Louisa Ferre like name.

Aeana

Ohohoho I just redid my choices and I'm now in the Chaos Route. Doesn't seem bad, also
My prediction was right that Hikaru was Lucifer. The way she appeared throughout the game was too convenient for the party. Add also that I did a few research, and her name in Kanji can be read as light. Guess I was expecting another Louisa Ferre like name.

Dang, I wish I hadn't read that. I'm dumb. Looking forward to doing the chaos path soon though.

GeekyDad

Damn I am gaining like 11k exp per fight...

Thank god for it though, because I hate all the options I have for fusion at these levels. (38-40)

Yeah, and you'll notice that you'll get twice that (or more if you've purchased the relevant apps) for recruiting demons. Love that I can get more exp from not fighting.

Aeana

I was about to ask GAF what was the point with the character since you never see it again in the Neutral path. lol

You also don't (neutral paths spoilers)
hear from Gabby again, which makes me wonder if those angels show up in the law path. I think there's also DLC about them though.

Mid-Town dungeon spoiler help:
I have the 4 th keycard but I don't see where I'm supposed to go to? There's a locked door on B7F but it won't unlock.

Any tips?

Some of these descriptions you get when having items appraised are hilarious.

Skateboard: "A dangerous stepladder."
Guitar: "A hard-to-hold cleaning tool."
Mouse: "Could it be a small box for keeping medicine in?"

Not really grindy then. I've just been doing the main quests and challenge quests and I've been fine* so far. I haven't even really optimized my demons since I try to compendium them just before they learn their final skill for Whisper / Fusion purposes, so my team is more about what demon I'm levelling than optimizing for the boss.

*You do need to save a lot in this in the early to mid game since enemies preempting you and hitting weakness or critting you is basically a trip straight to Charon and you'll need to do the boss battles a couple of times if you're trying to keep your demons alive throughout. The game is pretty random at the beginning but that's also why its not grindy , the difference between going first and having the correct elements and going last and not having them is ridiculously high basically.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Mid-Town dungeon spoiler help:
I have the 4 th keycard but I don't see where I'm supposed to go to? There's a locked door on B7F but it won't unlock.

Any tips?

Not sure this needs spoilers...

There is a second elevator on 9th floor. Use that keycard to get to Floor 51.

Vamphuntr

You also don't (neutral paths spoilers)
hear from Gabby again, which makes me wonder if those angels show up in the law path. I think there's also DLC about them though.

Yeah, I was checking the JP wiki section for the locked fusions and they are labeled DLC.
Hopefully it will be a good DLC. I didn't buy any from the store so far because they all seem to be simple grind quests for easy XP/Macca/App points.

Did you have any luck catching fiends? From what I can read from the wiki they are rare encounter with a 1/256 chance. I tried for like 2 hours straight going and exiting an area where one spawn and never got any.

Aeana

Holy crap, I just got 100k experience from doing Training Exercise II.

I really love those training battles. Nice puzzles to them. I wish there were more.

Yeah, I was checking the JP wiki section for the locked fusions and they are labeled DLC.
Hopefully it will be a good DLC. I didn't buy any from the store so far because they all seem to be simple grind quests for easy XP/Macca/App points.

Did you have any luck catching fiends? From what I can read from the wiki they are rare encounter with a 1/256 chance. I tried for like 2 hours straight going and exiting an area where one spawn and never got any.

I unlocked the luck door and tried going in and out for about 10 minutes and gave up. I don't have a lot of patience for that stuff.

Top Bottom