• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not entirely sure if that's the case. In Midtown,
the second Tenkai question during the fight certainly felt like an alignment effect to me. I picked Law, and Jonathan commented on it immediately, there was no buff/debuff either.

That boss is special it seems.

-------------------

The Final DLC is gonna be awesome. If you know what it is.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Until Demiurge uses his gun.

Haha, yeah. ;.; In that battle he actually killed everyone but my Vishnu, who kept getting healed by draining the physical attacks. Got through with Vishnu alone.

THEY MADE METATRON A STR BASED DEMON? FUCK EVERYYYYYTHING.

Yeah, my Metatron ended up being mostly useless for attacking anything because when I fused him he was all magic spells. He was just there to cast debuffs and absorb stuff.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Did you guys who finished already do the side-quests? Seems like some of you blazed through the game. I feel like I've played a lot and I'm still at 30 hours!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Did you guys who finished already do the side-quests? Seems like some of you blazed through the game. I feel like I've played a lot and I'm still at 30 hours!

I finished every possible quest (checking some guides) for Chaos. I think I ended at 61 hours.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I was going for Neutral or Chaos. Was going for Neutral more though. I usually end up hating Law and it seems like the worst one from what's been posted here lol.

Totakeke

Having a demon covering all kinds of elements being faster than your MC (MC going second) has the added benefit of losing less actions when your MC does concentrate/charge.

Cheska

I am so happy I set Soul Hackers down to start this. Absolutely loving it so far! After you guys pointed out that I could use the barracks to heal I completely annihilated that tutorial section and am progressing nicely.

Burroughs is freakin' great, I love her! At one point I got distracted by something on TV and she told me I was spacing out LOL

Aiming for neutral seems like it's going to be hard to stay faithful too because Walter is my favorite comrade so far.

PK Gaming

Keith Silverstein is fantastic in this game. He's the guy who voices the guy hanging around the terminal (he also previously voiced Tatsuya Suou and an assortment of other Atlus characters)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Is there any stat that is better to increase more than the others or should I distribute them evenly?

Magic if you're going to do a magic build, Dexterity if you want a physical build. Agility and Luck are also useful to boost!

Hero

Magic if you're going to do a magic build, Dexterity if you want a physical build. Agility and Luck are also useful to boost!

I see, I see. Is it just preference or is there a drastic difference between being a fighter or being a mage? SMT newbie here.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Late game challenge quest question.

Quest name:
Tokyo Bay Mixer

Where do I find
Vasukis
?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I see, I see. Is it just preference or is there a drastic difference between being a fighter or being a mage? SMT newbie here.

Most people seem to feel magic is the easier route, but I can't say since I haven't been able to compare them.

Late game challenge quest question.

Quest name:
Tokyo Bay Mixer

Where do I find
Vasukis
?

They show up randomly on the world map. They're pretty rare though. Took me awhile to find a couple.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Most people seem to feel magic is the easier route, but I can't say since I haven't been able to compare them.

They show up randomly on the world map. They're pretty rare though. Took me awhile to find a couple.

Do they appear as red enemies?

Hero

I put 90% of my points into magic. I haven't seen any physical weapons or skills yet that make a physical-based character seem like a better choice.

Magic it is. Thanks. :D

Can anyone link me to a guide for side quests.

The past hour has been a huge waste of time for me as I run all over the place battling fodder trying desperately to find quest locations not knowing if I'm far enough in the story to access it or not.

God the map is terrible and having dozens of Japanese names of thrown at me all the time is confusing.

I hope one of you can help me over come this and continue my love affair with this game.

Busaiku

I finished every quest but the Amaterasu, and some Naraku thing, and Demiurge one at 71 hours or so.
I was gonna go and do those, but I couldn't do anything after beating the last boss.

I decided not to reload either, so I just said whatever, and am now blazing through Law.

Flock

I really want to start playing this, but as I only have a Japanese 3DS - I'm hesitant.

Why do I have a Japanese 3DS ? Well I study Japanese and figured it was a good way too force myself into immersion. I'm decent at Japanese but by no means very good, so far I've stuck to fairly simple games and haven't had much trouble at all.

Could anyone gauge how hard it might be to play this with a limited understanding of the language? Desperate to start playing it! I might just order it anyway and slave away with dictionary in hand.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I really want to start playing this, but as I only have a Japanese 3DS - I'm hesitant.

Why do I have a Japanese 3DS ? Well I study Japanese and figured it was a good way too force myself into immersion. I'm decent at Japanese but by no means very good, so far I've stuck to fairly simple games and haven't had much trouble at all.

Could anyone gauge how hard it might be to play this with a limited understanding of the language? Desperate to start playing it! I might just order it anyway and slave away with dictionary in hand.

I have a lot of experience with the series in Japanese, and based on that I'd say it would be pretty difficult for someone who does not have a higher level grasp of the language. Also, instructions of where you need to go and what you need to do in this game in particular are vague at best. Requires a lot of exploration and speaking with other characters to get an understanding of what the game wants you to do.

Aeana

Well, the game has voice acting and the Japanese version has furigana for the non-voiced dialog. If you're serious about studying, it could be a pretty good aid.

Aeana

I did most of the sidequests - you're required to do a lot of them for neutral, and I didn't know which ones so I ended up just doing them all. I missed a couple in Naraku but that's it. I mean, it's very possible that I missed some of the quests that you get via demon conversation, but yeah. I finished in 40 hours. But I generally finish RPGs a lot faster than other people for some reason.

Busaiku

So what exactly do I get through New Game+?
I started the game, and am not noticing anything different (in terms of fusions and whatnot).

I'm pretty sure I caught everything I could, but the search is kind of annoying anyways.

Flock

I have a lot of experience with the series in Japanese, and based on that I'd say it would be pretty difficult for someone who does not have a higher level grasp of the language. Also, instructions of where you need to go and what you need to do in this game in particular are vague at best. Requires a lot of exploration and speaking with other characters to get an understanding of what the game wants you to do.

Well, the game has voice acting and the Japanese version has furigana for the non-voiced dialog. If you're serious about studying, it could be a pretty good aid.

Hm so It is do-able, but will be a challenge.... I know a lot of Kanji so I can generally divulge at least the very basic essence of what is being said, when I don't understand something. Can you turn on Japanese subs for the voice acting? That would be a big help.

Vague instructions are going to be a challenge... but I guess a long as I can wander around for long enough and take the time trying to translate what everyone is saying I should hopefully be able to glean what to do.

Ha thanks guys... I really want to play this!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I started the game, and am not noticing anything different (in terms of fusions and whatnot).

I'm pretty sure I caught everything I could, but the search is kind of annoying anyways.

There are a few quests that are NG+ only.

Haven't read up much on it, but is Neutral really that big of a pain in the ass to get? I remember just picking the choices I thought were right back in Nocturne.

Will you know if/when you're on the right path and/or is there some way of finding out your current alignment? At what point in the game can you really lock yourself out of the ending?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Haven't read up much on it, but is Neutral really that big of a pain in the ass to get? I remember just picking the choices I thought were right back in Nocturne.

Will you know if/when you're on the right path and/or is there some way of finding out your current alignment? At what point in the game can you really lock yourself out of the ending?

Neutral is kind of a narrow window, and the final choice forces you to put a punch of points into one side or the other. Although tons of people here got it, so it can't be that difficult. I just got unlucky.

Watashiwa

Law and Chaos paths get some challenge quests that unlock route-specific demons. Also, if you choose to reset your character, you start with all eight skill slots on both your MC and your demons, which is sort of like a refund of those app points.

That's it though, to my knowledge.

LProtag

I'm debating if I should do a reset or keep everything for my second playthrough. Hm.

Guess I should finish the ending I have first though.

Top Bottom