• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Busaiku

So are the Law and Chaos quests available only on immediate playthroughs?
Or will I have access to them when I go for the Neutral run (which'll be my 4th)?

Hero

Guys I'm in the first dungeon in Naraku and I'm trying to do the first Challenge quests. Can't find the last ooze spawn or something. I'm down to level 3 where there's poison. I keep encountering walls that have a small hole at the bottom and I see there's an area to explore back there but swiping my sword doesn't do anything. What do I do here?

Edit:

Nevermind..just figured it out...

Mupod

Pellaidh
is the easiest boss ever. I mean holy shit.

It's a good thing too because he blindsided me right after I had finished recruiting/fusing a ton of demons. I was gonna save right after I investigated the area he's in, and I completely forgot that I was in that area to fight him in the first place.

I would happily pay for a 10$ DLC for Burroughs to shut up.

Let me register that as a quest for you.

So I managed to fuse an Arahabaki with null fire/force/elec and he eventually gets Drain Ice. Nulling all physical attacks makes him really OP in some boss fights.

Also set on the neutral path. Hope the ending is worth it.

Mozendo

Hey guys, so I just recently registered SMT IV on Club Nintendo. I was going to wait until I got FE:A and a 3DS but I didn't want the survey to expire.

Anywho I got the $30 without having to register FE:A. This happen to anyone else?

Sorry if this was already posted ;_;

duckroll

Midtown spoiler question?!

Tenkai seems to have resistance to almost everything. What's the best approach to fighting him?

My solution:
I just had a group of demons with high HP and Megido, along with a Hariti who had Tetrakarn. So I would just Megido x3, wait for him to cast Megido, then Megido x3 and cast Tetrakarn. He'll attack and get it reflected. Then I'll cast Megido x3 and Mediarama to heal up. Repeat.

Soriku

Hey guys, so I just recently registered SMT IV on Club Nintendo. I was going to wait until I got FE:A and a 3DS but I didn't want the survey to expire.

Anywho I got the $30 without having to register FE:A. This happen to anyone else?

Lol, really? I should be getting the game in the mail today, I'll register it ASAP and see what happens.

Did you by any chance download the Fire Emblem demo?

I ask because the same thing just happened to me, and I'm guessing the FE demo triggers it.

Oh shit. Hurry up and get to me SMT IV, lol.

duckroll

Did you by any chance download the Fire Emblem demo?

I ask because the same thing just happened to me, and I'm guessing the FE demo triggers it.

My solution:
I just had a group of demons with high HP and Megido, along with a Hariti who had Tetrakarn. So I would just Megido x3, wait for him to cast Megido, then Megido x3 and cast Tetrakarn. He'll attack and get it reflected. Then I'll cast Megido x3 and Mediarama to heal up. Repeat.

Hmmm

I had like 2 demons with megido. I just kept debuffing him, and spamming multi hit spells/attacks.

I've been specializing in Dex because I assumed I'd prefer a physical build, but I'm starting to regret my choice; It just doesn't seem like I ever use physical attacks. Will this change? I just finished Naraku.

Aeana

I've been specializing in Dex because I assumed I'd prefer a physical build, but I'm starting to regret my choice; It just doesn't seem like I ever use physical attacks. Will this change? I just finished Naraku.

Well, that's certainly up to you. But you can get elemental bullets once you get further in that will let you exploit weaknesses without magic. Still, you're early enough that you can easily change your build without worrying if you so choose.

magnetic

I hate the voice of that old guy in the fusion app.

NOOOOOW THEEEEEEEEN. WEEEEEEEELLLLLL. OOOOOOH!

I usually just rush through the menus to skip his annoying dialog, but he still gets some of his abrasive groaning in. The dude in Soul Hackers was so much cooler.

vall03

I've been wondering, are there Accessories that kinda function like the Karma Rings in DDS2? I was hoping for one wherein Passing doesn't consume a Press Turn or one that increases your total Press Turns. If not, then oh well.

Are you doing it just for the sake of completion?

Pretty much. Another challenge dropped me off in that area, anyway, so I decided to check the relic spot after completing it. I don't regularly go out of my way to look for it, which is why it has taken this long.

Now that I had it and lost it in such a stupid way (I'm a compulsive saver, but I had just completed another challenge and saved and I was just going to park myself outside the next main quest area so I wouldn't forget where to go next since I was about to stop playing for the night), I'm doing it on principle!

NeonZ

First time I get completely stuck. I got to Shibuya and I'm supposed
to meet Tayama
, but I don't see where I'm supposed to go now. The underground city is blocked right afte the entrance, I've already covered all of the overworld Shibuya that's accessible to me right now (there's a blocked path though) and talked with every demon I've found in the rooms around the city. The other locations in the Roppongi region seem to be all blocked by random Ashura thugs and there's one location where Flynn sees a demon and then just leaves.

duckroll

to meet Tayama
, but I don't see where I'm supposed to go now. The underground city is blocked, I've already covered all of the overworld Shibuya that's accessible to me right now (there's a blocked path though) and talked with every demon I've found in the rooms around the city. The other locations in the Roppongi region seem to be all blocked by random Ashura thugs and there's one location where Flynn sees a demon and then just leaves.

Did you go into Roppongi Hills?

to meet Tayama
, but I don't see where I'm supposed to go now. The underground city is blocked right afte the entrance, I've already covered all of the overworld Shibuya that's accessible to me right now (there's a blocked path though) and talked with every demon I've found in the rooms around the city. The other locations in the Roppongi region seem to be all blocked by random Ashura thugs and there's one location where Flynn sees a demon and then just leaves.

So is this before or after the event at
Club Milton
? If it's before, you may have missed a ladder or a stairway or something, as there are a lot of easily missable ones at the Shibuya station. If it's immediately after, just go to the
skyscraper with the red exclamation point

Tirod

So does the Silver Coin do anything or am I just spending 155,000 Macca for the sake of completionists?

If you don't mind me asking, where is the Silver Coin? I've dumped all my Macca into getting the various cards, but I have no idea where to find the Silver Coin for the Black Card.

NeonZ

Did you go into Roppongi Hills?

Is that a big building in Roppongi with two smaller ones, but still big, next to it? I go there, and the man there tells me to bring a recommendation or three fresh members.

So is this before or after the event at
Club Milton
?

I didn't see any event like that, so, probably before. Hm... I can't see how I missed a path there though, I ran next to all walls to scan everything. I guess I'll go back to Shibuya.

duckroll

Is that a big building in Roppongi with two smaller ones, but still big, next to it? I go there, and the man there tells me to bring a recommendation or three fresh members.

Weird, what part of the quest are you on? Did you talk to people in the Shibuya underground yet? Club Milton?

Tirod

So how do I get to shibuya?

Go southwest of Shinjuku. There will be an underground tunnel to enter near a demon domain. Once you emerge out from the other side, Shibuya is directly to the west of you. Like one second worth of holding left on the circle pad.

Go southwest of Shinjuku. There will be an underground tunnel to enter near a demon domain. Once you emerge out from the other side, Shibuya is directly to the west of you. Like one second worth of holding left on the circle pad.
Ah yes i remember coming across that tunnel before.

I'm bad at remembering stuff like that

Tirod

Dex feels weak in Naraku because you don't get your first gun until hours into the game, and you don't have access to better physical skills.

If you want to switch to magic, you're still okay to do so, but as a Dex/Ag/Luck build I can wholeheartedly say that we kick serious ass, you just to need to stick it out in Tokyo a little longer.

NeonZ

Weird, what part of the quest are you on? Did you talk to people in the Shibuya underground yet? Club Milton?

No. Like I said, the entrance to the underground is blocked. Well, I can go there, but there's a gate closed right after that, and so I can't actually do anything there yet.

No. Like I said, the entrance to the underground is blocked. Well, I can go there, but there's a gate closed right after that, and so I can't actually do anything there yet.

I think I see your problem. You're trying to go in the entrance from Front Crosswalk, right? There's an entrance in the 108 Building area that you need to go into instead. That'll let you get into the whole underground district and open the gate blocking the Front Crosswalk entrance.

Tirod

Okay, I need some guidance. :( Where the heck is the Jaraku Bookstore? I've been all over.

Did you find the Terminal in Ikebukoro (sp) yet? From the Terminal location on the map go east and you'll be in an outside location. There will be a huge area essentially divided in half by poison. On the other side towards the wreckage of a bus is the bookstore.

Soulhouf

Noooooooooo [post Ginza spoilers]

Even Lilith has been butchered. Why Atlus, why? She already has at least 2 awesome designs. Why bother with a new ugly one? u_u
I appreciated how they played again the Yuriko/Lilith part of SMT1 though. They know how make me calm down in situations like that.

Okay, I need some guidance. :( Where the heck is the Jaraku Bookstore? I've been all over.

There are stairs (they don't show up in the map) in Ikebukuro.
Automap is really confusing and I keep being lost like you because of that.

cj_iwakura

Did you find the Terminal in Ikebukoro (sp) yet? From the Terminal location on the map go east and you'll be in an outside location. There will be a huge area essentially divided in half by poison. On the other side towards the wreckage of a bus is the bookstore.

Yep, had no idea where to go from there. I'll double check, thanks.

BearChair

This game just keeps going. I kind of thought taking out the
Black Samurai
would be the end, but now i'm tracking
tamaya
to
The Hills
. I'm going to take a break tonight and either complete some quests or play Attack of the Friday Monsters, which I bought last week but have been too into SMTIV to play.

My meta-question about this game, is if it officially makes Strange Journey canon? Given that the first half of the game is finding
Black Samurai
and the
counter-demon force
, the game seems to basically be screaming that Strange Journey is a mainline SMT game.

I really liked Strange Journey and sunk just under 100 hours into two playthroughs, but I know some people were upset when it came out that it was not a mainline SMT game, has SMTIV retconned that?

duckroll

Noooooooooo [post Ginza spoilers]

Even Lilith has been butchered. Why Atlus, why? She already has at least 2 awesome designs. Why bother with a new ugly one? u_u
I appreciated how they played again the Yuriko/Lilith part of SMT1 though. They know how make me calm down in situations like that.

I love that design personally. Medusa was probably the dodgiest new design in the game so far, but I actually like quite a few of the later ones. I also disagree that they should reuse old designs for major story characters and bosses. Doing brand new designs was definitely the right way to go, even though some of them aren't that great.

Jarekx

Man, I arrived at Ginza and it just made me extra nostalgic for Nocturne. I hope we get it on a portable at some point.

I think i'll try a dex build in my next playthrough.

Man, I arrived at Ginza and it just made me extra nostalgic for Nocturne. I hope we get it on a portable at some point.

I think i'll try a dex build in my next playthrough.

Sadly you probably won't unless they port the Radiou version that came with Radou 2 , their license with Capcom for Dante has expired.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've played this for about six hours, and I still can't tell if I like it or not. Hmm...

Despera

Banned
You guys probably already know this, but I found out demons tend to agree to join you if you end talks right after passing the 2nd request.

Side quest question on the Neutral Path Ending:

It's the one where you are seeking out a number of demons
it's the Tokyo Cosmos one

My problem is, and it's possible that I'm dumb, I can't seem to locate them. I went to GameFaqs and was given a general idea of their location, but couldn't seem to pinpoint them exactly. Any ideas?

Top Bottom