• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Toad.T

Banned
Sorry if this seems greedy, but would anyone be willing to trade their club Nintendo code with me? I have quite a few new releases, and would be willing to trade for SMTIV (I'll offer anything except FE:A.)

Again, sorry if this seems transparent, I just thought a person in here may have a spare.

Well, that's certainly up to you. But you can get elemental bullets once you get further in that will let you exploit weaknesses without magic. Still, you're early enough that you can easily change your build without worrying if you so choose.

Dex feels weak in Naraku because you don't get your first gun until hours into the game, and you don't have access to better physical skills.

If you want to switch to magic, you're still okay to do so, but as a Dex/Ag/Luck build I can wholeheartedly say that we kick serious ass, you just to need to stick it out in Tokyo a little longer.

Thanks, y'all. I can wait until Tokyo, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong path.

And does Macca get slightly easier to come by as the game goes on? Everything seems to astronomically expensive.

The fuck? Are you basically invincible?

Not really. Late game bosses love them some almighty attacks which isnt really solved by nulls, repels, and drains. Drain and repel do cost bosses all their press turns though so that's highly useful when the boss slips up. Saved me on some of the final bosses where they would keep trying to physically attack my Rangda which would take away all their press turns.

Finally:

w24G08e.jpg

Hoping that it wont disapppint since this is my gate to the game.

Level 49 unlocked some serious firepower for me in terms of demons. My team went from mostly meh to awesome. I even got a decent Alice. :)

edit: Well decent enough Alice. I haven't yet gotten access to Null X skills, or at least not many of them.

Poyunch

If you don't mind me asking, where is the Silver Coin? I've dumped all my Macca into getting the various cards, but I have no idea where to find the Silver Coin for the Black Card.

It's in a room in that same area where you get the Gold Card. Past the poison hallways.

Jessicat

Saw it posted a few pages back but I also just put in my Club Nintendo code for this game and got a $30 credit. I don't own Fire Emblem but I did download the demo.

Now I have to figure out if I want to use my code on the 3DS or Wii U.
:( I had the FE demo before buying SMTIV, just put in my SMTIV code now(was too busy playing the game to do it before :p) but nothing. How do I get it to work? Do I have to wait or am I SOL if it didn't work now?
I did have to delete and redownload the FE demo once because I would start it up and it would crash and I'd have to power off my 3ds...dunno if that had anything to do with it, since it was still before SMTIV ._.; help?

Also, I freaking love the Terminal Domain guy, hilarious XD
I was sad that he wasn't in the Ginza terminal, I got all excited for nothing, lol

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
:) How long did it take you to fuse those guys?
Not long, I got lucky with skill mutations and ended up with the ingredient demons already having tons of null ____ skills and just fused them right away. Orochi took an extra step with a compendium demon though.

The downside is that they have so many slots taken by null skills that they only have room for 2 or 3 actual skills. Pretty much just using them as walking shields to decrease boss turns / guarantee surviving surprise encounters.

NeonZ

I wish there were a way to recruit random humans, like the hunters who participate in the tournament... SMT 1 and 2 allowed the player to recruit generic human enemies, but that seemed to be completely removed in later games. And, even here, when they brought back human enemies, they don't allow the player to get them...

A few days ago I took my 3DS out to the movies with some friends hoping I'd get streetpass tags. I was surprised that I met two people who also played SMT, but... I didn't have the DDS option unlocked yet >.>

PK Gaming

The demon fusion skill ceiling app is good really good. Don't concern yourself with levelling it up now as soon as you get it, but when you get to a point where the game starts throwing levels at you for free, look into fully maxing it out (I can now fuse demons well above my own level. I'm talking 10+ here)

duckroll

I wish there were a way to recruit random humans, like the hunters who participate in the tournament... SMT 1 and 2 allowed the player to recruit generic human enemies, but that seemed to be completely removed in later games. And, even here, when they brought back human enemies, they don't allow the player to get them...

I think it makes sense given the settings they've been exploring. If you really want a "human" demon in your party, you can always go for those like Tattooed Man, Mad Gasser, etc. In terms of the actual story though, it'll make little sense for members of the Ashura-kai and the Ring of Gaea to want to just join you and hang around.

Path Alignment question, post Mid town dungeon:
so after the reveal of the angels at Shene Duque, I have to choose between Walter and Johnathan. Is this the path I'll be locked into?

Also I'm only 28 hours in, there's more to this game right?

Dresden

Path Alignment question, post Mid town dungeon:
so after the reveal of the angels at Shene Duque, I have to choose between Walter and Johnathan. Is this the path I'll be locked into?

Also I'm only 28 hours in, there's more to this game right?

It's not a lock at that point, but it'll have a big effect on what you'll be locked into.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
NoRéN;72815646 said:
In Tokyo and i'm feeling kind of lost. Normal for someone playing this series for the first time?

This game in particular can leave you feeling a little lost once the game opens up a bit.

Just go to every area you can find and talk to anyone you can.

NoRéN

This game in particular can leave you feeling a little lost once the game opens up a bit.

Just go to every area you can find and talk to anyone you can.

Cool, I've been doing that.

just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something obvious.

:( I had the FE demo before buying SMTIV, just put in my SMTIV code now(was too busy playing the game to do it before :p) but nothing. How do I get it to work? Do I have to wait or am I SOL if it didn't work now?
I did have to delete and redownload the FE demo once because I would start it up and it would crash and I'd have to power off my 3ds...dunno if that had anything to do with it, since it was still before SMTIV ._.; help?
You might be out of luck, it popped up right away for me. I just put in the SMT code and did the small survey and it gave it to me.

I need some demons with Zandyne and Ziodyne! Guess I'll do more fusing tonight.

brinstar

You have a sizable chunk of the game to go through before hitting it. It's fairly obvious when it happens.

Sorry for YET ANOTHER alignment question, I'm just worried that I'm getting too steeped in chaos here;
It doesn't seem like I have much of a choice here, but after defeating Yamato, do I HAVE to push the button? If I say no it just puts me outside which makes me feel like I don't have much of a choice here, haha.

Sorry for YET ANOTHER alignment question, I'm just worried that I'm getting too steeped in chaos here;
It doesn't seem like I have much of a choice here, but after defeating Yamato, do I HAVE to push the button? If I say no it just puts me outside which makes me feel like I don't have much of a choice here, haha.

Yes.

Chokomofo

Banned
I'm confused why this game is $49.99. I really want it, but I don't like the idea of paying $49.99 for a handheld game. It's nothing to do with how great or terrible a game is... just an odd precedent..

Vamphuntr

How much further from that point is the alignment lock? I would like to go for Neutral

You can't really choose which path you want at the point your alignment is locked. The game kinda choose for you depending on all of your choices. There are next to no neutral choices, you have to balance your law and chaos choices so that they void each other to get neutral.

Dresden

The story demands that you push the button, but if you refuse at first, you get some Law points out of it.

Haines

Banned
any chance this game goes on sale in canada some where b4 the nintendo promo is over, im on the fence and a sale would push me over

twelver

any chance this game goes on sale in canada some where b4 the nintendo promo is over, im on the fence and a sale would push me over

You can get it through newegg for 15 dollars off if you buy it from your android phone using google wallet. Promo ends august 31. Promo code is WALLET.

Blusby

Well my Phys MC is at Lvl. 34 and my stats are (w/o equipment stat bonuses)
STR-16
DEX-88
MAG-7
AGI-53
LCK-36
Skills:
Tathlum Shot
Charge
War Cry
Mediarama
Energy Drain
Bad Company
Dekunda
Javelin Rain
Any suggestions on my skills build? I was thinking of ditching Dekunda for something else.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Grrr, this moss quest. Since I'm trying to rush through the game for neutral, I kept all of my levels and stuff in NG+. But now I have no reason to keep wandering through the dungeon. Every time I find a relic spawn point and it doesn't yield moss I hurt.

Alucrid

Banned
More luck, that was suggested to me earlier in the thread, for crits and what not. Probably should get rid of any magic spells though and leave that up to your demons.

PK Gaming

Well my Phys MC is at Lvl. 34 and my stats are (w/o equipment stat bonuses)
STR-16
DEX-88
MAG-7
AGI-53
LCK-36
Skills:
Tathlum Shot
Charge
War Cry
Mediarama
Energy Drain
Bad Company
Dekunda
Javelin Rain
Any suggestions on my skills build? I was thinking of ditching Dekunda for something else.

That's a pretty good set up. You should up your Luck so it's comparable to AGI stat and focus on building up your skills (soon you'll have access to heavy physical skills). I'd toss out Dekunda & Bad Company. Both abilities look really good on paper, but trust me you'll rarely ever want to use them.

Sera O

Banned
I've just reached Ginza in the main questline and am about to do
Tayama's
quest at
Gaea temple

At the moment I really have no inkling of what my alignment might be. I am probably leaning chaos, but I'll just go with whatever and try for neutral next time. Is there a good alignment FAQ somewhere on how to achieve it with minimal fuss?

As for demon designs, the new ones range from ok/inoffensive, to kinda cool (skull-snout!) to lol. I can't even evaluate the design for (2nd boss)
Medusa
because the portrait execution is so goofy. I fused her last night and it just looks more quality every time I see it.

So after cruising past a few domain and story bosses due to my 'crap I'm lost' accidental grinding technique, I switched gears to do the challenge quest given by Isis. That was pretty tough and made me violate my 'don't buy from compendium' rule so I could
tetrakarn Seth's attacks
and preserve the health of the
. . . coffin. :/

It does make sense because struggling to keep Osiris' body parts intact is how the legend goes, but it's kind of hilarious to worry about how lively a coffin is.

Top Bottom